Unofficial Portkey Archive

Depression by padfoot_puppyeyes
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Depression

padfoot_puppyeyes

A.N.- I thought I should tell you that when I update from now on, it would probably be at least two chapters, because I got a small word processor/laptop for Christmas, and I don't have to give my little brother the computer anymore when I want to type. I know this chappie is rather short, but I needed it to bridge into what I want the future chapters to have in them. Hopefully you've all enjoyed what I've written so far, and thank you to all of my reviewers! Any suggestions? (Or praise?) Please read and review, and let me know what you think of my first fanfic

Bloody potter, I thought to myself. This thought alone was disturbing, because I should've been focusing on my studies. But Potter and I were paired together for transfiguration, which happened to be focusing on turning field mice into owls, their natural enemy, and he was doing really well at it. I hadn't spared Potter a minute's thought at the start of the term, and while my thoughts weren't those of love, I was starting to notice him. Especially right now.

"Ten points to Gryffindor." Professor McGonagall said lazily, and I noticed she didn't seem surprised to see the once brown field mouse instantly morph into a snowy white owl. I, on the other hand, was shocked at the fact that despite how much I paid attention in class, I still struggled, while Potter easily flew through his classes, particularly this one, and I doubted he had visited the library for anything not prank related in the last few years. Watching as he messed up his already messy dark hair, (this time, I noticed that it seemed to be more out of habit than to impress me) I pondered my next question.

"Potter." I asked, hesitantly. While he had earned my respect that since Christmas Eve, I wasn't looking forward to admitting I needed his help with anything, much less something study related. He always seemed to think of me as smart, and even though I'd never admit it, I really took his complements to heart.

"Yes?" James replied, just as he tucked his wand into his carry-around bag. Feeling my normally pale face turn a nice cherry red, I asked lightly as possible,

"What am I doing wrong?" almost too quietly to hear.

"Oh, your wand's going to poke an eye out." He replied sarcastically, (not knowing that years later similar words would begin his son's first friendship.)

"Huh??" Oh, I thought, really smart.

"Here." James sighed, and he guided me easily through the wand movements. My field mouse now had wings and feathers, and though it still had a tail, resembled an owl better.

"Thanks." I murmured, as McGonagall inspected my… creature. Transfiguration was one of my few struggling subjects, and we had Newt's this year. James was now talking to Black, who had changed his mouse almost as quickly as James, and I watched as Remus joined them in their conversation. I caught the words "Quidditch" and
"Seeker", until Professor McGonagall threatened the three Marauders with a detention, and they returned slowly to their original seats, sulking. Smiling as I pulled my red hair back tighter, an idea struck me.

"Make a deal with you." I commented quietly as class ended. James didn't need me to say it twice, and turned quickly, a strange glint in his eye. I already knew I had had his attention. James loved to gamble bet, make bargains or deals.

"Jacob Saunders has a small gamble going on the outcome of the next match, and Gryffindor isn't playing." I began, still planning out how I would say this without sounding desperate. I didn't want someone like Potter to get the impression that I really needed his help.

"So?" James asked, as I began walking towards Arithmancy, even as he walked towards the common room.

"Ravenclaw wins, you tutor me every night in transfiguration, and I mean seriously tutor me."

"And if Hufflepuff wins?" James asked. What were the odds that Hufflepuff would win, I wondered. They hadn't won any match in the past three years… unless James knew something I didn't, and I wouldn't put it past him for a moment that he wouldn't tell me. But gambling was about taking chances.

"Next week at Hogsmade sound good?" I asked. His bloody grin went from one ear to the other, but he still wore that knowing smile.

"And if Hufflepuff catches the snitch, and Ravenclaw wins, or vise-versa?" James was still smiling, and I knew better than to think it was out of innocent amusement.

"We'll think about that when and if we get there." Came my short reply, and with that we went our separate ways. Just then, Michelle walked up to me, smiling in a suggestive way. Shaking my head, I nodded to the common room door behind me and said "Remus?" suggestively, only succeeding in making poor Michelle blush. She been eyeing him for a while, it seemed ever since the start of the year, and I hadn't noticed it until Christmas. And ever since, I hadn't stopped teasing her over it.

"No. He's too busy talking about Quidditch with Black. Something about an accident." I shook my head laughing to myself, and just as suddenly felt all of the laughter drain from my tone.

"Michelle, what did you hear?" I asked in blind panic, remembering James Potter's, knowing smile, and wondering if whatever accident they where talking about had to do with either of the houses playing this Friday. Knowing Potter, probably.

"Hufflepuff got a new Seeker after their last one crashed. Some second year,

Amos Diggory. I guess he's really good, you've seen him, you tutored him before." I closed my eyes in remorse.

"How good?"

"Almost as good as potter. Hey, what's gotten him so excited, he looked like he just won the Quidditch cup, smiled for the first time in months!!"

"Months?" I asked, voicing my doubt. Michelle looked at me oddly.

"Yeah, he's been in a funk all year, he's not even that cocky anymore."

"Just because his head deflated slightly doesn't mean he was always arrogant, and it certainly doesn't mean he's in a funk. Maybe he's just matured." I replied, and watched Michelle's mouth drop.

"You're defending Potter? Lily, are you sure you're feeling well?" Michelle joking, but her voice held confusion and concern regardless.

And truth be told, I already felt my stomach turning. Bloody Potter.

This is my thanks to all of my reviewers-

ProngsGurl-thanks for all of your support, (my voice is just dripping with sarcasm,) and maybe after we're published, (for anyone who cares, me and Prongs have a co-authored book we're in the process of publishing.) I'll write another fic based on our ideas.

Christmas Eve fan- (yes, that's your new title,) thank you again for your inspiration!

RaMz- thanks for your corrective criticism, and for telling me any of my mistakes! I really appreciate the rating, and your right; I did kind of rush into that didn't I? I'm sort of new to writing fan fiction, I'm only thirteen, and I appreciate all support!

annon- thank you for the review, and the rating! I really like knowing that someone reads and enjoys my writings, and this is just one of the many ways I imagine l/j getting together! Plez review again soon, and I hope you enjoy this theory of the l/j relationship!

MoodyMoony- yes, ditz, I know ho you are, I still say that the song is noel, but thanks for taking the time to read my fanfic!

aero0688- don't worry, Sirius and the Marauders are working on fixing James, and even though this fic isn't turning out how I had envisioned, don't worry, they will be together in the end! Of, and if you lack in patience this fic really isn't for you, cause James is going to drag the Marauders for a few highs and lows throughout the whole story, and Sirius Black isn't the best person to try and fix him! Lol!

laurie- thank you SO MUCH! Two 10's I feel really warm and fuzzy inside! It's reviews like that that keep me writing! Thank you for reading; I hope in the end you still like it!

That's all I have for now, until the next chapter! R/r!