Unofficial Portkey Archive

Musings by Golasgil Sindar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Musings

Golasgil Sindar

Happy Birthday: Sirius

November 3rd, the time 11:30pm.

Two bundled figures stood atop the Astronomy tower. One with bushy hair was looking intently into a telescope. The other's round glasses reflected the starry night. He looked questioningly at his companion. She was still focusing the telescope. He finished folding his father's invisibility cloak and slipped it into his school bag when he stood their eyes met. Somehow he understood and looked into the telescope. He caught his breath as he recognized Canis Major, the Dog-Star shone brightly tonight. He looked up at his companion she was quietly wiping tears from her cheeks as she looked up into the stars. He focused his attention back on the stars and let his own tears flow. Tonight would have been his thirty seventh birthday. Though he was gone from this world they knew he would forever watch over them from above.

He flinched when he felt her hand rest gently on his back; he stood still, accepting her support. They each had learned over the years they could always rely on the other for support. She slowly rubbed his back. When he could no longer see through his glasses he took them off she took them and handed him a handkerchief. She dried his glasses on her shirt while he composed himself. When he reached for his glasses she placed them in his hand. They used few words these days; between them they were seldom necessary.

Once his glasses were in place he looked up at Sirius. In his head he started singing happy birthday, he heard her humming along beside him. They slipped closer and finished arms about one another's waists their heads leaned together. They stood there for a long while, thinking. Finally they turned and walked back into the school together.

They walked slowly through the empty corridors. She stopped at a familiar door he opened it and they walked inside. It looked just like the parlor at Grimmauld place. A small fire burned intensely in the fireplace. They sat on the couch and pulled a thick blanket over their legs. She leaned into him and rested her head against his shoulder and he held her close. Morning found the Head Boy and Girl asleep, wrapped in each other's arms.

* * *

A/N: just a little scene, couldn't get it out of my head so here it is.

Gol