Unofficial Portkey Archive

Musings by Golasgil Sindar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Musings

Golasgil Sindar

A/N: WARNING ALTERNATE UNIVERSE AHEAD!!!!

This could be very confusing so here is a character key.

James is King of a country

Lily is his Queen of course

Remus is James younger brother

Sirius is the youngest brother of James and Remus

Harry and Luna are brother and sister, identical twins except Harry got the dark hair and Luna got Lily's red hair

Hermione is the daughter of a Duke within James's Kingdom.

Ron is the third son of an allied Kingdom to the west.

The elves are… the elves of course… (Think Tolkien Elves not House-Elves)

Enjoy,

Golasgil

* * *

There was a sudden shadow over them and the dragon was upon them. Harry saw his father flip his visor closed and raise his shield and lance before spurring Melfinas towards the dragon. Arrows flew over their heads but most bounced from the dragon's thick hide. The four teens huddled their horses close together, uncertain just what to do. Uncle Remus stood tall in his saddle and raising his elaborate staff he began to incant a spell.

Harry and his sister Luna were suddenly pushed from the broad road by their mother Lily. Uncle Sirius was urging Ron and Hermione into the woods before them. Emphatically mother yelled at them all, "Move! Get out of the dragon's path quickly."

Harry shouted as the dragon roared, "Dad!"

Uncle Sirius shouted over the dragon's roar, "Move child, he has stood through worse, you have not." His uncle's words finally made the four teens spur their horses into the forest. Uncle Sirius followed close behind them he stopped at the edge of the wood and turned back towards the red dragon. He hefted his axe and waited to see if it would be needed. The teens made it into the scorched forest as lightning crackled from Remus' staff into the chest of the dragon. It roared its anger and belched forth a huge plume of fire. The teen's horses bolted recklessly into the depths of the woods.

James was engulfed by the flames. Melfinas continued to charge as his master had commanded. The silver-star crested shield of the King of Anfalas met the breath of the dragon and stood strong. James ignored the fire to aim his lance properly at the red scales of the beast's chest. The lance slid across the scales and he thrust forward with all his might. The magical lance finally bit into the armored hide of the dragon. It reared back, pulling up and nearly wrenching the lance from his grip. He held on and with a mighty tug pulled it free. The beast spun off towards the mountains in the east. Din-Cu buried three more arrows into its tail before it was out of range.

James pulled Melfinas to a stop and spun around to see how everyone else had fared in the brief encounter. Fortunately no one else had been in the path of the beast's fiery breath. The children were no where in sight.

Din-Cu seemed to fly up into the top of a tree, watching the dragon as it flew off. The elf's eyes would be able to see it though well beyond the view of men. Din-Cu's son Erelas moved off onto the road before them, he vanished when he stood still upon the road.

Lily pulled her horse up next to her husband. Her hand held the powers of healing ready and was anxious should he require it. His armor radiated heat and steam rose around him. The plate barding on Melfinas had shielded the mighty warhorse well. She was relieved to see he sat straight in his saddle his injuries would not be great. The King passed his lance to his youngest brother Sirius and he raised his visor. The King's eyes met the Queen's, he flashed a smile at her and asked, "How did we fare in this encounter?"

His other brother Remus answered from behind him, "We scared him, it's a young one you were right about that. My lightning was ineffectual I will have to try something else next time. The elves got some arrows into it but your lance turned him away we will pursue him to his lair?"

Nodding the King replied, "We must, the beast terrorizes my people, would it return to the mountains we could let it be. Though I do not believe we have driven it that far. Din-Cu, whence does the beast flee?"

The slim elf stood before them a moment later. It was hard to keep him in sight as his Elven garb masked his presence when he stood still and Din-Cu moved so fluidly he seemed to glide not walk, "It appears to lair just within the mountains. It will lick its wounds, thinking we will do no more. It is still confident in its own might. Yet I perceive another problem. Whence have your children and their friends gone?"

All of the adults suddenly realized that the children had not yet emerged from the woods. Din-Cu whistled quietly and Erelas ran back to them. The elves strode silently to where the children had been ushered into the woods. Together they ran off into its depths, heads bent low.

"I fear their horses were spooked by the encounter."

"Yes Sirius I fear you are correct." James took his lance from his youngest brother and headed into the woods behind the elves.

Several minutes later they came to a small clearing. The earth was churned by the charging of hooves. Erelas stood waiting for them upon the tracks, his concealing cloak thrown back. When they stopped close to him he addressed James, "Father has decided to try and catch the children. They are likely far into the deep wood. Their inexperienced mounts will not stop until exhausted. Yet they flee back whence we came and there is naught there but frightened villagers."

Remus leaned over and asked, "Did he say if we should follow or wait?"

Erelas shrugged his shoulders, "Wait here or finish the dragon, he shall return the young nobles to you safely King of Men."

Trusting in his friends abilities James asked, "Can you lead us to the lair of the dragon?"

"If that is your desired course, certainly."

"Very well let us put an end to the beast. Din-Cu will be disappointed he was unable to assist in its slaying."

"Father may yet arrive in time to assist."

"I wish that he would. Come let us do the deed." The King wheeled his warhorse around and galloped back towards the road. The rest quickly followed in his wake. Erelas strode alongside the party then sprinted ahead of James when they reached the edge of the clearing.

* * *

The world went dark. Their exhausted mounts finally heeded their commands to stop. The unexpected clatter of hooves on stone echoed about them. Once the horses stopped only ragged breathing, both equine and human could be heard.

Hermione's voice called out, "Litae!" The tip of her staff shone brightly. They were in a cave.

Harry spoke into the silence that followed, "There are no caves such as this near where we were."

Ron looked around and asked, "Then where are we?"

Hermione answered, "That I do not yet know. I do know that we did not ride down into this cave. Look behind us!"

They all turned to look where they had come. A solid wall was brightly illuminated by Hermione's staff thirty feet behind them. The skid marks from their mounts iron shod hooves appeared a few feet from the wall.

Harry looked worried when he spoke, "Father will be unhappy when he learns we have gone missing."

Hermione looked sharply at him, "Missing? I think not. We have most certainly been kidnapped. By whom and to what end is the question before us."

Ron edged his horse closer to theirs and whispered, "Kidnapped?"

Luna spoke up at last, "I must concur. We could not have come to this place otherwise."

Harry drew his sword. Its light joined that from Hermione's staff, "Well then it is our duty to escape."

Luna put her hand on her brother's chain covered shoulder, "I agree. Yet there is but one way to go. It seems we must follow the appointed path for now."

Harry looked to his twin sister before answering, "Let us see if that is the case." He handed his reigns to her and slid from his mount. He then walked to the wall behind them and tapped on it with the pommel of his sword, "Well it seems to be real enough."

"A moment please. I may be able to determine who or what opened a portal there." Hermione slid from her horse and handed her glowing staff to Harry when she got near the wall. She pulled out her wand and began tracing an intricate pattern in the air above where the horse tracks began. The pattern of gold glowed faintly. She joined the beginning and end together carefully then added several runes around its perimeter. She stepped back and watched it critically. Suddenly it shifted then was gone, "The pattern of the caster is masked."

"Wait I think I recognized that pattern."

Hermione laughed it reminded Harry of a dancing waterfall, "You should have. It was my pattern. The pattern was supposed to shift from mine to that of the previous caster. Instead it went away." She began pacing slowly, "That means one of two things. First the caster is skilled enough to mask their identity. Second is that a god is responsible for the portal."

Luna slid from her horse, "It is not uncommon for our father to be summoned by Falir. On those occasions his gear, Aina-Avien, and he vanish. Later he returns, having dealt with Falir's task."

Ron repeated the well known mantra, "The gods are fickle." And then continued, "Is this one for or against us it could be either."

Hermione shook her head, her bushy hair dancing about her, "Indeed, there may be a task before us. We must overcome it to return home."

Harry held Hermione's staff out to her, "Or some wizard, who wishes to remain anonymous, brought us here for reasons unknown."

Hermione put away her wand and took her staff, "Correct, I know of six active wizards in Anfalas capable of this. Probably three more who are retired."

Ron asked fearfully, "Any of them with dark motives?"

Hermione smiled reassuringly at him, "Other than who we are? No, none that I know."

Luna looked resolute, "Well staying here gets us no closer to the answer, I already miss the sky. We should walk the horses as the ceiling grows low as the tunnel rises."

Ron slid from his mount, "Tie them together. Then one of us can lead the lot."

Harry walked to his horse, "I will lead then Hermione, Luna, and Ron leading the horses. Is that acceptable to everyone?"

Luna again put her hand on her brother's shoulder, "Stealth is not an option for us. We must go forward with strength. Step warily brother."

Harry nodded, "Agreed. Ron I think you should carry your bow at the ready."

Ron quickly nodded and pulled his bow from its case on the side of his horse, "Yes, I shall."

Harry unstrapped his helm and slid it over his chain coif. Hermione tossed her reins over his saddle horn and helped him fasten the buckle holding the helm on. Then helped him free his shield from his horse and strap it onto his arm. Harry walked towards where the tunnel exited the room they had appeared in. Hermione soon came to stand a few paces behind him. Luna linked the other horses and then looped the reigns of Ron's mount through the back of his belt.

"Thanks Luna."

She nodded and patted his shoulder, "Just watch where you point that thing. That's my brother and best friend ahead of us."

"Of course, you know I won the human Archery tournament last year."

"Yes I remember, poor Anton. He was quite upset to be bested by one so much his junior."

"They are going!"

"Oh" Luna turned and quickly moved to catch up. After a moment of getting all the horses moving, Ron joined them.

Harry swallowed his fears and raising his sword and shield began to cautiously walk up the tunnel. He tried to listen for anything ahead of them but between the chiming of his chain hauberk and the clomping of the horse's hooves he could barely hear himself breathing.

How long can I hold my shield up like this? Half an hour, Ron will have to take a turn when I grow too tired. With each twist and turn of the tunnel he grew more worried. Would Orcs jump out and attack them? Were Kobolds even now preparing a trap for him to step into? Or worst of all, were Dark Elves laying in cunning ambush? Mostly due to his caution their progress was very slow. They came to a split in the tunnel and chose to rest there.

Harry lowered his shield and with great effort sheathed his sword. Illuminated by only Hermione's staff the tunnel grew considerably dimmer. He looked exhausted to his companions as he went to the side of the passage and slumped against the cold stone. He slid to the ground, removing his shield as he did so.

Hermione planted her staff so the tunnels were both illuminated. She spoke a soft incantation and when she released her staff it stood as though it had grown in the middle of the tunnel. She smiled to herself before turning to join Harry along the side of the passage.

Ron dropped the reigns then moved to the front. He kept his attention on the tunnels they had yet to explore.

Luna went to her brother and helped his fumbling fingers unbuckle his helm. When he lifted it off sweat was running freely down his cheeks. She could see his leather padding beneath the chain was wet as well.

Ron asked, "Do you wish me to take a turn in the lead?"

Harry simply nodded, too tired to answer.

Hermione went to her horse and brought a flask of water to them. She handed it to Luna. Luna opened it and helped her brother take several small sips, "Remember I can create more water at need. It is the least of our worries. You should have stopped earlier."

Harry despaired, "How do they do this? I'm not even wearing the plate over the chain."

Hermione tried to pick up his spirits, "You are also only sixteen and not yet a full knight. They would not expect more from you until you are eighteen and are ready to take your vows."

Luna pulled a cloth from her bag and wet it from the flask. She then wiped her brother's face, "I believe I have heard Sandur put it this way to the squires. With time and practice the burden becomes easier to bear."

Luna reminded him, "Yes and father would say: If I do not bear it who shall?"

Ron spoke without looking at them, "Your father is a great man. I have heard much in my father's court. He is the reason they fostered me to his court. Father told me the world would be a much darker place if not for him. Did your parents say the same Hermione?"

Though Hermione was often the one to think ahead of all of them the question took her off guard, "Well um. Near enough I suppose. Though they are sworn to him and this was the obvious place to send me. It was really a combination of that and that I showed strong magical abilities. Where else to be educated than the Mage Guild of Anfalas? It is the best school this side of the world."

Harry hung his head, "If only I felt worthy of following him."

Hermione knelt beside him and gently put her hand on his shoulder. When he looked up she smiled at him, "Just remember King James does not do everything himself. He is a very wise man. He relies on those around him to help. Lily is perfectly capable of running the kingdom without him. Sirius is the most renowned military strategist living. Remus is equal to any living mage and Aina-Avien makes him nearly unbeatable."

Luna gave Harry the water flask again, "And we dear brother, will certainly help you as we can."

Ron and Hermione spoke at once, "We Promise."

Harry nodded and smiled at them, "Thank you. Ron I will have to borrow your bow. I'm not nearly as good with it as you but this tunnel isn't wide enough for two of us to fight abreast." He took another long pull on the water then handed it back to Hermione. She took it and stood up. Luna stood and took firm hold of his right hand. Hermione quickly took his other hand and together they were able to get him on his feet.

Hermione hung the water flask from her horse again. Harry put his shield and helm back on his mount and caressed its neck. He looped the reigns through his belt.

Ron finally turned and walked back to them. He slipped off his quiver of arrows and handed them along with his bow to Harry. He then went to his horse and put on his helm and shield. Drawing his sword he headed back to the front. Hermione and Luna had been discussing which way to go as the boys got ready. Ron asked them, "So which way is it ladies?"

"The larger tunnel on the left. It has seen more use so should lead us to something." Ron nodded and raising his shield to the defensive position he moved off down the left tunnel. Hermione touched her staff and lifted it as though it had merely been balanced there the entire time. She and Luna walked after Ron. Harry nocked an arrow and followed them.

* * *

Din-Cu stopped, the tracks simply ended. He knelt where the soil had been churned by the horse's hooves. He pulled forth a solid gold arrow from his left quiver. He spoke a soft incantation then moved the head of the arrow to where the tracks ended. The tip of the arrow seemed to hit a barrier and slid to the ground. He returned the arrow to his left quiver and flipped open his satchel. He pulled out a pair of golden leather boots and quickly changed into them. His brown leather boots soon took their place in his satchel. He looked briefly at the sun and oriented himself towards home. He strode off, home was two hundred leagues north and he had no time. Aided by the magic in the golden boots he soon became a blur as he flowed north.

The sun was still hours from rising as he entered his woods. He had guarded and nurtured this wood for over six millennia. Over that time the Welk had stayed near its historical borders and now exceeded them in several places. It was a haven for neutral and good aligned creatures, Evil found no rest within its borders. He stopped just inside and changed back into his brown boots. He sipped from the stream then melted into the shadows. He felt the trees welcome him and he caressed those he passed in greetings. Many of these trees ancestors had been acorns in his hand. The Welk announced his return to any who knew how to listen.

Celebloth rose from her couch. Nearly translucent robes shimmered as she moved. Six balls of light orbited above her making her jewelry sparkle brightly. She smiled and descended from the top of the Aldabar. Only Pel was awake at this hour. She appeared at her mistress's side and followed at her heels. The ancient bark at the base of the tree split and peeled back to reveal a tunnel leading into its heart Celebloth and Pel emerged as Din-Cu stepped into the clearing around it.

Pel blinked to his side, panting at the return of her master. He brushed her head. She quivered in delight and blinked away.

Celebloth saw weariness upon her mate, he had traveled fast to get here. He moved close to her then formally greeted her with words older than the race of men. "The world will end and the stars dim before my love fades."

"Love is eternal life-mate, yet there is urgency in you. How fares Erelas?"

"He fared well when last I saw him. His path lies with the King of men while mine is to discover what has happened to his children and their friends."

"Tell me all you know husband."

"We journeyed together to slay a young red drake. The beast attacked us and the children's horses were spooked into the wood. When the drake had fled Erelas and I pursued the children. Their horses ran far and fast I told Erelas to tell the King of men that I would pursue them whilst they went to finish the drake. He awaited them while I continued to follow the trail. In the midst of thick forest the tracks vanished. Vishale tells me they went down they must be below the trees as the roots knew them not."

"Whom do we seek?"

"Harry, Luna, Hermione, and Ron, they have sufficient supplies for a week."

"Then let us waste no time. We shall fly to this hole which is not a hole."

They walked back into the tree its bark closed and grew back together. They went up the long spiral stairs, and stopped at the second landing. This was the communal floor, linked to the other Aldabars with a network of branches far above the forest floor. All were welcome to enter this floor. A tall elf in simple brown robes stood waiting for them in the center of the room. His hands tucked back into his sleeves.

Din-Cu stepped forward, "Father, It is good to see you once again."

Amroth smiled and briefly inclined his head, "Yesa sends her greetings. I see you are not long in staying this day. The wood is well though it misses you greatly. It will need you home for spring."

Din-Cu bowed deeply, "I will certainly return before then father. Have you any sense of whence the Prince and his friends have gone?"

Amroth's gaze became clouded and he touched the Aldabar with both palms. The immense tree shivered at his touch. He stood there a moment communing, "They are deep, in the caverns below the valley. There are few dread creatures in those caverns. Fly north still further my son, they will emerge in the southern tip of the valley, there they will face much greater peril as you know. You must reach there before they." He stepped back from the tree and his eyes focused again, "I will channel the winds to your back for the journey. You should reach them swiftly."

Din-Cu and Celebloth bowed deeply, "Thank you sir." They went quickly up to the top of the immense tree. In several large nests waited four giant eagles Celebloth greeted them. They mounted two of them and all four eagles took flight to the north. A strong tail wind built behind them as they rose into the morning air.