Unofficial Portkey Archive

Musings by Golasgil Sindar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Musings

Golasgil Sindar

This was in response to the Bring me to Life challenge here.

http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?showtopic=3039

Bring Me to Life

It was finally quiet. Weeks ago Harry had defeated Voldemort. Voldemort had lured Harry to Godric's Hollow. Harry had listened to Hermione this time and brought friends, lots of them. He had wanted to go alone but Hermione wouldn't let him.

"Harry James Potter, you are not going to sacrifice yourself. You know damned well that this is a trap. Let's form our own trap and make this the final battle."

For a year Ron and Hermione had been practicing combat with Harry. They could work as a three person team or in any pair. Dumbledore had made them practice with Himself, Moody, Remus, and Tonks all trying to stun them. They had gotten pretty good at it. They had coordinated roles; Harry was always the attacker, if both Hermione and Ron were with him they both defended the group. If Ron and Hermione were together Ron attacked while Hermione defended. They were nearly unbeatable with all three together but in pairs only Harry and Hermione could stand for long.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron had gone openly to Godric's Hollow. Trusting Dumbledore to spring their trap when the time was right. It looked like Voldemort had wanted this to be the last battle to; He had brought nearly a hundred supporters and fifty dementors. Fortunately the dementors didn't stand a chance against three strong Petronius's. The ensuing battle raged for several hours. Finally Dumbledore had broken thru Voldemort's defenses and Harry had taken the shot he had waited seventeen years to take.

Voldemort was dead, gone, no more. Nearly a hundred had died in the battle, only a few Death Eaters had survived. Many of the ambushers, students included, were dead. Ron had barely lived. Hermione was as beat as Harry but had come thru unscathed.

They had retreated to Grimauld place, Ron was in the infirmary at Hogwarts along with many others. Harry had immediately retreated to his room, Hermione to hers. The next morning Harry and Hermione went to the Ministry of Magic to deal with the interviews and the congratulations. Neither of them had wanted to go but they knew that the world would demand it. So like the Hero and Heroine they were they faced the world together, answering all questions as truthfully as they could. Some impertinent reporter had asked "So now that the Dark Lord is no more when can we expect the announcements to go out for your wedding?"

Harry and Hermione had exchanged a brief acknowledging glance then Harry took a step back as Hermione stood slightly in front of him.

"Harry and I are not willing to openly comment on that at this time. We need some time to come to grips with the new world. I think today's interviews are done." With that Hermione turned and faced Harry. When their eyes met they apparated away together.

That had been nearly three weeks ago. Harry had spent the entire time thinking and withdrawing further into himself. Hermione dealt with the world, she knew Harry needed time to reflect so she made sure he had it. Only Dumbledore and Ron were allowed past her to talk to Harry. Ron had taken on the public spokesman role with relish. He basked in the attention of the media, though he was not the hero of the day he was as close as the media could get to him. Harry was glad Ron was happy out there, he was welcome to it. Why can't I think? It's like my brain has shut down.

Harry was hiding in his room again. Hermione decided that nearly three weeks was long enough for him to reflect. She had made sure she was around in case he had wanted to talk, but all he had done was stare at her and thought. She opened his door without knocking, she didn't care if he was decent or didn't want to talk. She saw him laying on his bed, only a pair of boxers on. She went to the curtains and threw them open the brilliant light of the morning came streaming into his room. Like a vampire Harry recoiled from the light.

"MIONE! Stop that!"

"No Harry you are done moping about. It's time to face the world again."

"I don't want to."

"I don't care what you want, we have done what you want for three weeks and you are still back where you were. We are going to do what I want today Harry. Get up and go shower NOW!"

Harry knew there was no arguing with Hermione so he glumly struggled to his feet.

"Oh and Harry?"

He turned around just before entering his bathroom.

"I will pick your clothes, get ready and come downstairs soon or I will come back and drag you out naked if I have to."

Harry nodded his understanding and went to shower.

Hermione went to his dresser and pulled out her favorite set of clothes for him, they were going muggle today. He's going to take some work to get back to normal again. I have never seen him so unresponsive. I guess the driving purpose of his life is gone and he doesn't know what to do with himself now. Well Harry it's time for a new purpose I guess. She placed the clothes on his bed and waited by the door until she heard the shower turn off. Then she left the room to wait for him downstairs.

Harry came down ten minutes later, his hair was still wet but he was dressed in what she had picked. "Ok Hermione I'm here, as ordered" He stood rigidly and gave her a salute.

"Ok Soldier march!" She opened the front door and they walked into muggle London.


A/N may do more with this, not sure. I need to get back to my Fic before I get lynched though. I saw this challenge and the muse hit me so I had to write it. Hope you all like it so far.

Thanks
Gol