Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's All That by harryherm84
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's All That

harryherm84

A/N: Thanks to all my reviews! I appreciate each and every single one. Sorry this took a bit to come out. To tell you the truth, the whole Xander thing was a last minute throw-in. I had no intention of bringing him back at all, but I decided to throw something of excitement in there. And it seemed to work to my advantage. It really adds to the plot and I hope it makes for an even more exciting ending!

Hermione's All That

Under Suspicion

Harry stood in front of Hermione, determined to keep her out of harm. Harry's insides were churning with anger; anger that was building up in the pit of his stomach. He really, really hated Xander and to have him show up and ruin their night again, he was upset.

"What the hell do you want and how the bloody hell did you even get into Hogwarts? You aren't a student!" Harry shouted through clenched teeth. His fists were curled up into balls by his waist and he could feel Hermione's nails dig into his arm.

Xander smiled cruelly. "That's for me to know and you to never find out!" Xander replied. He began circling them both, taunting them by waving their wands in their faces.

He's too cocky for his own good. When he's busy trying to show us up, I'll take him down!

Harry turned, keeping his eyes glued to Xander, while making sure Hermione was behind him at all times.

"What the hell is your problem?" Harry shouted back, wanting to get this over with.

"You want to know what my problem is?" Xander asked, pointing to himself. "I'll tell you what my problem is. It's people like you and that filthy mudblood standing behind you!"

Harry clenched his hands, his nails biting into his skin, drawing blood. He saw Hermione begin move out of the corner of his eye. Harry moved his hand, stopping her from coming forward, but she looked up at him signaling it was ok.

"How do you know that I'm muggleborn? You don't go to school here, so how would you know that?" Hermione questioned.

Xander didn't say anything and Harry could tell that Hermione's question threw him off. He could see hesitation written on Xander's face and Harry internally smiled.

"Just shut the hell up!" Xander shouted and Harry heard the annoyance in his voice. "Enough with the talk, it's time for you two to be dealt with!"

"Why won't you fight us like a man? Are you too much of a coward to have a real duel?" Harry teased, hoping to throw Xander off of his concentration-anything to get him to make a mistake. "You're too much of a wimp; you had to attack us while our backs were turned; now you're going to fight us unfairly? Shows what kind of person you are!" Harry taunted.

Xander's face showed his anger. It was turning red and he narrowed his eyes. "Why don't you shut up savior Potter! You think you have everything? You think you're the gift to the world! Well, I'm not someone you fooled! I can see right through you, and soon, everyone will see my way too!"

"HARRY! HERMIONE!" someone shouted from off in the distance.

Xander turned to see who was shouting. Seizing the opportunity, Harry charged at Xander with all his might. He rammed him hard into the ground, knocking all three wands and the cloak from his grasp.

Harry struggled with Xander, who was desperately trying to reach his wand. Harry held him down, but Xander seemed to have incredible strength. Xander reached out his hand and grabbed the wand.

Harry could hear a few people's voices in the background, but he couldn't distinguish what they were saying or who they were. He had to concentrate on keeping Xander's arm at bay.

Harry pulled back his arm and punched Xander in the eye. Xander cried out in pain. Using his legs, Xander knocked Harry off of him and shouted something, Harry couldn't make out what it was, but the blast hit him right in the chest, sending him into the air and landing hard on the ground below almost fifteen feet away.

Harry's back ached. He looked up to see Xander run into the woods, but he couldn't move to give chase.

He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to regain his breath, and when he opened them, three sets of eyes were staring at him.

Raising himself off the ground and into a sitting position, Harry was bombarded with questions.

"What happened?" Ron shouted.

"Are you ok?" Hermione asked.

"What was that all about?" Lavender inquired.

Harry shook his head and pulled his feet up. Hermione grabbed is arms and helped him regain his footing.

Harry turned to Hermione and saw the worried expression on her face. "You ok?" he asked her and she nodded.

"Yes, but I wasn't the one hit with that curse. Are you sure you're ok? Should we go to Madam Pomfrey?" Hermione asked him, still gripping onto his arm.

"Yeah, I'm ok. Just a little sore," Harry said, smiling through the pain. He really did hurt and all he wanted right now was a nice bed, but he couldn't stand to see Hermione worry about him.

Harry turned and looked up at Ron and Lavender. "Where did you two come from?" Harry asked.

"We were up in the Astronomy Tower," Ron started to say and blushed a bit. It was obvious to Harry what they were doing, seeing as how Ron's hair looked like Harry's did every day and Lavender's shirt was on backwards.

"And we saw you two flying around. We weren't spying, I promise," Lavender insisted as she tried to hide the red from her cheeks. "We were about to go in, when we saw a flash. We looked over and noticed that someone was down there with you two, which we thought was unusual so we decided to investigate."

"Yeah, good thing we did. Who knows what that prick would have done! He must be bloody insane!" Ron commented.

"Yeah, I don't even know what he has against us," Hermione said, looking to the ground. Harry reached over and grabbed her hand in his, squeezing it a bit.

"Well, at least we're ok now," Harry said.

They all nodded their heads and silence seemed to take over. Suddenly a noise filled the air and Harry turned to Ron, who looked quite embarrassed.

"Well, it looks like the stomach is calling. Who's hungry?" Ron said, and they all laughed. Harry was glad Ron was able to lighten the mood. He was still angry and he knew he had to find this Xander kid before he tried something again.

Tomorrow, I'll sneak down to Hogsmeade and have a little talk with him.

They grabbed their wands and the invisibility cloak and headed back inside. They were all lucky the commotion didn't wake anyone up or they would have been in serious trouble.

Lavender and Ron headed to the kitchens, while Hermione and Harry went to their rooms.

When they got there, Hermione stopped Harry. "Why don't you come in and I will get you cleaned up. I know you're hurting, I can tell by the look on your face," Hermione said.

Harry smiled. "Well, if you insist," he said and Hermione opened the door.

Harry looked around and noticed that everything was in perfect order as always. He walked over to the bed and sat down.

Hermione walked into her bathroom and walked back out. "I don't have any more pepper up potion, so I'm going to run to the perfects bathroom. I'll be back in just a minute." Hermione walked out the door and Harry took the time to look around.

He walked over to her desk, noting the textbooks laid out, a planner that was overflowing, quills and parchment piled neatly on the desk. He spotted a small box on top of her desk.

Should I open it? You'll be invading her privacy. Yeah, but it might give me a clue as to what to get Hermione for her birthday.

He had asked Professor Lupin if he could find out when Hermione's birthday was. Lupin told him it was October 10. Harry wanted to get Hermione something special, something that really meant something, but it couldn't figure out what. He knew she would like books, but that just seemed a little too plain; a little too ordinary.

He walked over to the box and lifted the lid. Inside were broken pieces of a picture. Harry instantly remembered what they were from; the time when Pansy had smashed her picture.

He looked at the pieces more closely and he smiled at the young Hermione. She looked so happy with her parents; so young and carefree. What happened, Hermione? When will you tell me?

Harry saw in the middle was a piece that was a little bit bigger than the others. It had Hermione and her parents' faces on it. Suddenly an idea popped into his head, and he knew exactly what he wanted to get her. He grabbed the picture and laid it on the table. Hurrying, he took his wand and duplicated the picture. He placed the original back in the box, and put the copy in his pocket.

He smiled at the gift he had planned. It was perfect and he couldn't wait to get started on it.

Closing the lid, he heard footsteps outside. He hurried back to the bed, and sat down just as the door opened and Hermione came in holding a bottle.

"Ok, sorry that took so long. It took me a minute to find it," Hermione said as she walked over to him.

"That's ok. I appreciate this, Hermione," Harry said sincerely and Hermione smiled.

"Well, it's the least I can do for you protecting me," Hermione said as she grabbed a rag and began cleaning off a few cuts that Harry had on his face.

"I can't believe that guy! What does he want?" Harry said, more to himself than Hermione.

"Who knows, but what I'm more curious about is how he was able to come on the grounds and how did he know I was muggleborn. It's not like it's published somewhere and you can't just look at someone and tell it either," Hermione said.

"Yeah, I don't get that either. It would have to be a student, but I know I haven't seen him around school. I just don't get it," Harry said.

Hermione cleaned off a cut which made Harry say ouch. "Oh, stop being a baby. It's just a scratch," Hermione said as she blew on the cut and gave it a small kiss.

Harry looked up to her and smiled. She's really beautiful. Her lips are so soft. "Well, it feels better now, but I think I may have hurt my lips to. Why don't you kiss that," Harry teased, even though inside he was secretly hoping she would.

Hermione smiled at his antics and gave a slight chuckle. "You're impossible, Harry," Hermione told him as she finished with his cuts and gave him the potion.

Harry stood up. "I had fun tonight, Harry. Maybe we can do it again sometime," Hermione said.

"Definitely. Well, goodnight," Harry said, moving toward the door.

"Night," Hermione called as she watched him go.

Harry was about to turn the knob when he stopped himself. Turning around, he saw Hermione picking up the rag. He moved over to her and said, "Hermione."

Hermione stopped and looked at him. "Yes Harry?"

They seemed to be moving closer and Harry could feel the heat of her body radiating off of her. Just kiss her! You know you want to!

He moved his head lower, prepared to feel his lips on hers, but as he got close enough to where he could feel her breath on his cheek, he stopped. Standing up immediately, he said, "Thanks for the potion."

He watched Hermione open her eyes and he could see the disappointment in them. "You're welcome, Harry," Hermione told him.

Harry turned and quickly made his way out the door and into his bedroom. Plopping himself on his bed, he shook his head.

"Why didn't I just kiss her?" He asked aloud. "I wanted to, why didn't I?"

He banged his head on the headboard and downed the potion in one gulp. I can't help it, I'm falling for her.

Harry felt better finally admitting it and then his mind thought of the bet. That's it, tomorrow I am telling Draco the bet is off. I don't care what he says, I can't do this anymore!

With his mind made up, he finally drifted off to sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next morning, Harry walked to breakfast going over and over in his mind what he was going to say to Draco. He knew he was going to be teased and made fun of, but he didn't care. He couldn't go on with this charade anymore.

When he entered the Great Hall, he took a seat beside Ron, who was eagerly chopping down on his food.

"Where's Malfoy?" Harry asked, as scooped himself some eggs.

Ron shrugged his shoulders. "What do you want with him anyway?" Ron asked with his mouth full of food.

"Well, I was going to tell him that the bet was off," Harry confided.

Ron sat in shock for moment. "Damn, I owe Lavender a galleon now!" Ron said.

"Huh?" Harry asked, confused.

"Well, Lavender said that you would stop the bet soon because she could tell that you really care for Hermione. I said you would go for a few more weeks. Guess I was wrong," Ron told him.

"How did you know that I started to like Hermione?" Harry asked Ron.

"It's written all over your face, mate. You stare at her all the time and you don't just take friends on a personal flying lesson," Ron said with a smile and a wink.

"Am I that obvious?" Harry asked.

"Yes and no. You are to me, because I've known you for awhile, but most other people haven't picked up on it," Ron told him. "Don't worry mate, I think you're making the right decision."

It made Harry feel good that Ron agreed with him. Now, how to tell Malfoy? "Well, I just really need to tell Malfoy," Harry said.

"Tell me what?" a voice said and Harry looked up to see Draco standing at the table. He looked a little worn and he was wearing muggle sunglasses.

"Malfoy? Why are you wearing sunglasses," Ron asked.

Harry sat watching Draco. Draco seemed to be a bit off this morning, not the usual cunning jerk.

Draco raised the sunglasses and Harry chocked back a gasp. Draco's eye was black and blue.

"How the hell did you get that?" Harry asked. Could it have been Draco last night? It's a little odd how he comes in with a bruise in the same spot I hit Xander at last night.

"I uh, had a little run in with a pesky Slytherin. We got into it, but of course, I took him down. He just got in this one blow," Malfoy said. He turned and looked own at the table. He replaced the glasses.

Harry could tell that Draco was lying. There is something else going on here.

"Why don't you cast a charm to conceal it?" Ron suggested.

"Because, I'm not that good with charms," Draco said.

"Why not go to Madam Pomfey?" Ron asked and Harry could tell that Draco was rolling his eyes at Ron.

"Are you kidding? If I did that, I might as well march down to Professor Snape's office and volunteer for detention, because that's what I'll get," Draco said.

Harry was lost in thought. I have to go right now to The Golden Snitch and see about Xander. I have to know if he is real or not.

"So what is it you want to tell me, Potter?" Draco asked.

Harry ignored him. He jumped out of his seat and headed out the door. He couldn't wait a minute longer.

Running up to his room, he grabbed his invisibility cloak. Taking the Marauders map, he took the secret passage to Hogsmeade.

Harry's mind wasn't on him missing History of Magic, he was more concerned with finding out about Xander.

Exiting through Honeydukes, Harry walked out into the road. Hogsmeade was pretty dead with all the students in school.

He hurried down the street to the restaurant. Pulling open the door, he stepped inside.

The same host that greeted them the night he took Hermione out was there again today.

He smiled when he saw Harry. "Hello Mr. Potter. Will it be just one today?" the host asked.

Harry shook his head. "No, actually I'm not eating. I just wanted to speak with one of your employees."

"What is this about? If one of our waiters were rude to you in any way, please let me know. We take that very seriously," the host said, looking stern.

"Alright, well I actually would just like to talk to him myself," Harry commented. He tapped his foot impatiently. He was eager to speak with Xander.

"Ok Mr. Potter. What is his name and I will go and fetch him for you?" the host replied

"His name is Xander," Harry told him.

The host seemed to be perplexed for a bit. He walked over to the podium, looking over a list. Finally he seemed to smile and said, "Oh yes!"

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. Well, Xander is real, which means Malfoy wasn't impersonating someone.

"Good, can I speak with him please?" Harry asked.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible," the host replied. "He is not here."

"When does he work next? I really need to speak with him," Harry told him. He was gripping the side of the podium in his nervousness.

"I'm sorry Mr. Potter, but Xander quit working here a little more than a month ago. He left to join the international Quidditch team. I actually saw him play last night. What a game, it lasted until two in the morning. Did you see it?" the host asked.

Harry didn't answer. It couldn't have been the real Xander, he was at a Quidditch game, and plenty people saw him. Then if it wasn't Xander, who was it?

Malfoy? Could someone who I have known since first year really do that to me? I know Malfoy's an asshole, but for him to do something like this. It just seems too low, even for Malfoy.

I don't know, but something is going on here and I have to figure out what it is before someone gets hurt.

REVIEW! Stay tuned for the next chapter: THE BIRTHDAY SURPRISE!