Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's All That by harryherm84
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's All That

harryherm84

A/N: Hello y'all! It's the night of the SuperBowl, and my home team: The Carolina Panthers, lost, but we still kicked major ass!

First, I would like to say that I am truly sorry for this chapter taking so long to come out. I have been busy working on my book lately; I haven't had much time to really write. I really wanted to have it out sooner, hopefully next time I will.

Next, I want to thank all my wonderful reviewers! I am glad people like this story! Feel free to give me any comments about the stories, I appreciate each and every review and I learn more when people point out my flaws in my story.

Last, I guess I should say one more time, just in case anyone doesn't know, this story is AU (Alternate Universe).

Thanks again,

~Jen~

Disclaimer: I own nothing!

Hermione's All That

A Late Night Rendezvous

Hermione sat on her bed, contemplating what she was about to do. She was to meet Harry Potter down in the common room in five minutes and her stomach was doing flips.

Why do I feel this way? I don't usually get nervous. It's just Harry Potter. Yeah, just Harry Potter, the most handsome boy in school!

Hermione brushed her thoughts aside and grabbed her books. She jerked open the door and was surprised to see Harry Potter standing there with his hand up, like he was about to knock on her door.

"Well, that was perfect timing," Harry said as he moved aside so Hermione could exit her room. "I was just coming to get you."

Hermione shut her door and turned back to Harry. She couldn't really look him in the face, she didn't exactly know why. "Yeah, well, I guess we should be off," Hermione said, still looking at the ground.

"Alright," Harry replied and he began walking down the stairs.

Hermione eyed the back of him and continued to let her thoughts flood her mind. Why am I doing this? Because he asked for help, remember? Yeah, but it just feels weird. Probably because you don't really know Harry all that well. Maybe I shouldn't go? No, you have to go and just do this. For once in your life do something fun!

Her mind was made up and she started to feel a little better. They reached the portrait hole and Harry pulled it open. He stepped back and let Hermione pass through before him.

Well that was certainly gentlemen-like. Hermione smiled to herself.

"Oh, Professor McGonagall said that we don't have to meet with her tonight, since we already did yesterday. So we meet with her every Tuesday at 8pm, starting next week," Hermione said to Harry.

"Thanks for telling me. I completely forgot we were suppose to meet with her tonight anyway," Harry admitted.

"Yeah, and we just have to patrol after we get out of class. So, on Tuesday's she is going to be patrolling and we just do what we can after we get out of Astronomy," Hermione also told Harry.

"Well, I'm glad you got all this covered," Harry said, giving Hermione and grin and she smiled back.

"So, have a good first day of classes?" Harry asked. Hermione turned, smiling internally at his small talk. He thinks this is weird too!; which gave Hermione a little more comfort.

"It was ok, you know me, always asking questions," Hermione stated, blushing a little at herself.

"Yeah, I remember," Harry smirked and Hermione turned toward him. She felt a little embarrassed because she knew how much people hated when she asked questions. Hermione saw Harry look at her face and he seemed to read what she was thinking. "Not that asking questions is a bad thing," Harry said to her. Hermione knew he was trying to cover up for what he had said and somehow she found it adorable.

"Oh, it's ok, I know how people feel, and it doesn't really bother me. I mean, I want to learn, so I have questions. A person who asks a question is a fool for a minute, and the person who never asks is a fool for a lifetime," Hermione stated.

"I like that," Harry complimented. Hermione smiled.

They made it to the astronomy tower, which was vacated, as Hermione thought it would be, and they walked to the nearest telescope.

Hermione began opening her books, and Harry did the same. "Ok, well I figured that I would go over the basics with you first, nothing hard, just things you probably will need to know," Hermione said, pulling out some parchment.

Hermione began showing Harry how to really work the telescope, and he was able to catch on quickly. Good, a fast learner! Well of course, he isn't second in the school for nothing!

She then told him a few of the major constellations and how to point them out easily. It was all going pretty quickly and Hermione was surprised, she figured it would take longer for Harry to learn everything.

"Well, that's really all I wanted to show you today. I don't want to bombard you with too much information at the start, so this is a good stopping place," Hermione told Harry, packing up her books and other materials. She looked at her watch and noticed it was only five after nine. They still had a whole hour before class started. "Well, we still have an hour before class, and since we're done, I'm sure you would like to go back to the common room and hang out with you friends," Hermione stated.

"Well, what are you going to do?" Harry asked, giving Hermione a pointed look.

"Me?" Hermione asked and Harry nodded.

"No, the six-eyed alien standing behind you. Yes you," Harry said sarcastically, holding back a laugh.

Hermione smile and blushed at his comment. "Well, I'll probably just sit up here and read until class begins."

"Well, I don't really feel like walking all the way back to the common room, just for a short period of time. I'm already here, so what's the point?" Harry asked. Hermione shrugged and moved over to the corner. She sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall.

She looked up and saw Harry standing in the same spot, staring at her. He then walked over and took a seat beside her.

"How about we talk?" Harry said and Hermione looked over at him.

"About what?" Hermione asked. What would Harry want to talk to me for? It's not as if I'm interesting or pretty.

"Well, I have known you for seven years now, and yet I don't really know you. We haven't really talked before now, and seeing as how we're Head Boy and Girl, and we're going to be patrolling together and you're going to help me with Astronomy, I think we should get to know each other," Harry began and Hermione continued to look at him. He does have a point. "So, tell me something about yourself."

"There's not much to tell," Hermione said looking at her lap. Her hands were linked together and she had to stop them from fidgeting. She was beginning to feel uncomfortable again. Hermione, you have to stop this. You're just talking!

"Ha," Harry laughed. He looked pointedly at her and smiled. "I'm sure there is something that you can say."

Hermione shook her head no. "Not really."

"Ok, what's your favorite color?" Harry asked.

"Emerald," Hermione answered.

"Well isn't that a coincidence. My eyes are that color," Harry said. I already know that!

"Alright, what do you do for fun?"

"Nothing really," Hermione answered true-fully. She really didn't. She honestly couldn't remember the last time she had actually did something fun.

"Oh, come on, don't you hang out with friends, go to Hogsmeade, play chess, anything?" Harry asked looking towards Hermione.

Hermione looked back down at her lap and shook her head. "I haven't been to Hogsmeade in a while and I don't really have any friends."

"What about Neville? I thought you and him were friends," Harry asked. Hermione started to feel ashamed. She knew she probably sounded like the biggest loser ever.

"Well, I guess you could call us friends, but we don't do much. He doesn't like to go to Hogsmeade or anywhere really, so I usually go alone. We mostly just pair up together because there is no one else left," Hermione answered. She couldn't believe she was telling Harry Potter this. It was all very personal, but for some reason she started to feel a little more comfortable with him.

"You go to Hogsmeade alone? That has to be very boring," Harry said. Hermione looked and saw that his eyes were wide. She looked away knowing how stupid she probably looked to him now. She nodded her head.

"Well, then you really haven't experienced Hogsmeade at its finest. It's really very fun. So how about I take you there one day. I promise you will have a good time!" Harry asked.

Hermione was shocked. She had to concentrate on keeping her jaw from hitting the ground. Harry Potter wants to go to Hogsmeade with me? This can't be real; yeah that's what it is, surreal!

"Well, what do you say?" Harry asked again.

"I don't think so," Hermione said.

"Come on. I can return the favor of you helping me with Astronomy. You help tutor me and I will show you a fun time in Hogsmeade?" Harry said sincerely. Hermione looked into his eyes and felt that jolt through her body. Why say no, it's just to return the favor? You've never really had fun, and you want to, here's your chance, why pass it up?

"Ok, only if you're sure," Hermione answered and Harry grinned.

"I'm definitely sure!" Harry exclaimed. "Ok, now that's settled, tell me something else about you."

"Well, I don't really know what to say," Hermione said. She began twirling her thumbs.

"Tell me why you carry your parents' picture around with you at school. Are you homesick?" Harry asked and Hermione cringed. She didn't want to talk about it. This was a subject she avoided completely and to start now, she couldn't.

"Um, I'd really rather not talk about it," Hermione said. She turned her head so he would see the tears forming in her eyes.

"Someone once told me that it's not good to keep everything inside. I'm a good listener, try me," Harry said and Hermione was touched at his tone.

"I just, well, it's just that in the summer before my sixth year, my parents…" Hermione began, but stopped. She couldn't do this, not now. Since that day, she had told no one what happened. She hadn't received comfort from anyone and she didn't want to face the grief. It was so hard for her to talk about. The images seemed to scroll through her mind and she shook her head to rid them from her mind. Tears began rolling down her cheeks and she felt ashamed. She stood up abruptly, and made her way to the ledge. She leaned over and looked down upon the lake. It was so beautiful.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Harry standing beside her. He was giving her a look of concern and she immediately turned her head.

"Hermione, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was this hard. You can cry, you know, don't feel ashamed," Harry said, but Hermione continued to face the wall. She wiped her eyes as best she could and turned back to him.

"Listen Harry, thanks for trying to talk with me, but I'm not really ready right now. I feel so ashamed for crying in front of you," Hermione admitted.

"Don't be ashamed. Everyone cries," Harry said to her.

Hermione looked down at her shoes and said quietly, "I don't, at least not in front of people."

"Well, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, people cry, it's an emotion. It's better to talk about emotions rather than bottle them up inside," Harry told her. He still had his hand on her shoulder and Hermione was enjoying the warmth it radiated through her body.

"Thanks for the advice Harry, and maybe one day I'll take it," Hermione said to him.

Harry was about to respond, but the door opened and people began filling into the tower for class. Harry removed his hand and gave Hermione one last look before he went over to the telescope, waiting for the teacher to begin the lesson.

Hermione missed Harry's comfort, but smiled at having him care like that. Does he care? He sure acted like it. Maybe he does have something for you. Yeah, right Granger.

Hermione picked up her books and walked over to another telescope. She looked over at Harry, and noticed he was looking at her. He gave her a smile, which she returned, and turned back just as the professor walked into the room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(This is now changing to Harry's point of view in case anyone is wondering!)

Through the class, Harry's thoughts weren't on the stars or constellations, but on the lone girl that stood just a few feet from him.

He was surprised when she had admitted that she didn't really have any friends. He felt bad for her. She really had no one, and he knew that feeling all too well from living with the Dursleys for thirteen years.

He was even more shocked when he saw that she began crying. Something was bothering her and he had to find out what. She was keeping something inside, and it seemed to be causing her a lot of turmoil.

This is just a bet Potter, why are you getting involved in this girl's life. He really didn't know the answer to that question, but for some reason he felt drawn to Hermione in some way. It was strange, seeing as how he only really talked to her for a little over an hour in the last seven years that they have known each other.

Something had to have happened to her parents. She had started to say something about the summer before her sixth year, but never finished. It must have been an experience, because it seemed to have tormented her a lot.

He was happy that she had agreed to go to Hogsmeade with him. Not only did he want to get her in with his crowd and begin the bet, but for some reason he really felt like he needed to show her a good time, help her to have fun.

Before he knew it, the class was packing up their belongings. Harry looked over at Hermione and noticed that she was taking her time. He thought about earlier in classes and how she had a million questions to ask the teachers and how everyone made a comment or rude remark about her behind her back.

Harry felt guilty now for laughing at her. He used to not care, but tonight seemed to change a lot of things. He saw another part of Hermione he was sure no one had every seen before. He had watched her cry and it his heart ached. He felt extremely terrible and heartbroken when he realized he had made her cry, but it hurt even worse when he actually got a look at her, tears rolling down her cheeks. She looked so helpless, and that wasn't usually what people associated Hermione Granger with. Bookworm, loner, dork, yes, but weak and stupid, never. Hermione was always a strong person and he was shocked that he had noticed this over the years.

He stayed behind until everyone was gone and waited for Hermione to get done.

"Well, I guess we better get this over with so we can hurry and get to bed. I'm pretty tired already," Hermione said as she slung her bag over her shoulders.

"Get what done?" Harry asked, stumped. He had no idea what she was talking about.

"Patrolling, remember?" Hermione said. "Professor McGonagall said we have to do it every night between ten and twelve and it's already eleven thirty."

"Oh, yeah, ok," Harry answered, finally remembering he had a responsibility to perform being the Head Boy.

They walked down the stairs and out the door. "Do you think McGonagall is mad that we can only patrol for thirty minutes?" Hermione asked Harry.

"She shouldn't. It's not our fault anyway. We have class and it's not like we can leave class," Harry answered. He smiled when he saw the worried look on Hermione's face vanish. She seems to trust me or at least partly, because she believes what I say.

"Yeah, that's true," Hermione said and Harry nodded at the comment. "Can we go back to the common room first, so I can put away my things, I don't want to have to carry them around the whole time."

"Sure," Harry stated. They walked back to the common room and headed inside. It was deserted, everyone was in bed. They walked to their rooms and put away their stuff.

They came back out and went on their way to patrol. They walked in silence for a while, not really having much to say. As they came around the corner, Harry caught sight of their Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and also friend, Remus Lupin.

"Hello there, Professor Lupin," Harry said. Lupin turned and smiled at Harry and Hermione.

"Hello Harry," Lupin said. "Hello Hermione."

"Hello Professor Lupin, it's good to see you again," Hermione replied.

"It's good to see you both too," Lupin said and Harry smiled.

"Yeah, it's been what, three weeks since you stopped by the house to see Sirius and me?" Harry asked and Lupin smiled.

"Sorry, I meant to visit before school, but time got away from me. I had a few things to take care of." He turned his attention then to Hermione. "How are you holding up Hermione? Are things better?"

Harry was confused about this. What is he talking about? Do they know each other? Harry watched as Hermione gave Professor Lupin a false smile and said, "Yeah, I'm doing ok."

"Glad to hear that. Well, if you ever need to talk just remember my door is always open," Lupin said and turned back to Harry. "And you too, Harry."

Harry nodded and Hermione smiled. "Thank you professor, I'll remember that."

"Well, I best be off. Have a goodnight," Lupin said. Harry and Hermione both said goodnight and watched as Lupin rounded the corner.

They began walking again and Harry finally voiced his thoughts, "What was he talking about when he asked you if you are doing ok? Do you two know each other?" Harry hoped he didn't sound harsh, he was just curious.

"He helped me out a while back with some things, that's all," Hermione answered. Harry saw her eyes begin to glaze over and he decided not to push the subject. "Well, it's midnight, so let's head back now."

Harry knew that Hermione was trying to change the subject so she wouldn't have to talk with him about anything.

They walked to their doors and Harry turned to Hermione. "Goodnight Hermione, and don't forget that this Saturday we'll go to Hogsmeade, ok?"

"Alright, I won't. Goodnight Harry," Hermione said, giving him a smile. Harry watched as she walked into her room, shutting the door behind her.

Harry walked into his room and lay down upon his bed. He thought about the night and for some reason he couldn't get Hermione out of his head. His mind was consumed with questions that he wanted answers to.

He hoped he could maybe get her to open up on Saturday. He was excited, at least now he had something he could rub in Draco's face. He was finally getting Hermione out of Hogwarts and on a date. It wasn't really a date, just two friends going out for a nice time.

Friends, are we friends now? She seems pretty nice and a good person, so I guess we could be friends. But what would everyone think?

The bet! That is the only reason I am being nice to her and going out with her. Harry began to feel guilt rise in his stomach. He knew what he was doing was wrong. Should I stop? Just end the bet here and now. What and let Draco win? No, I can't do that; he would rub it in my face all year. Alright, just stick to the bet and don't get attached to Hermione. That will be easy, right?

Harry shifted on the bed and put his hand to his forehead. He was frustrated. Needless to say, he didn't get a very good sleep that night!

Alright, that's it. So what did everyone think? Review and let me know! Hopefully the next chapter will be out soon!!