Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's All That by harryherm84
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's All That

harryherm84

A/N: I am so sorry for the long overdue update. I have been extremely busy. I hope this chapter was the worth the wait! Please make sure to review after you read!

Disclaimer: Belongs to J.K. Rowling!

Hermione's All That

Quidditch and Confrontations

Hermione shot up from her bed, rubbing her eyes. She just had the strangest dream.

Within her dream, she was nominated for prom queen. Hermione almost laughed at the thought. Yeah, like I would be up there with the likes of Cho Chang and Harry.

She smiled as he drifted into her head. That was happening more often now. She knew that she was falling in love with him and she wanted desperately for the two of them to become an item, but she was not going to be the one to act first.

She had to let Harry do that. She didn't know how Harry felt. He was never very open with his emotions, just like her. And when two people, who hold their hearts so tightly, closed up and locked in, it is hard for anything to ever really happen.

Hermione stretched and forced herself out of bed. Rubbing her eyes, she trotted over to her dresser, pulled out her clothes and headed for the shower.

She was ready for classes a little after seven and she was in need of some breakfast. Grabbing her books for her first class, she made her way down to the common room.

There weren't many people up yet, so she made her way through the common room and out the portrait hole.

As she walked, she passed a few people and they all looked up to her and smiled. She smiled back, not used to the sudden politeness.

Sharon Haigler, a fifth year Gryffindor, passed by Hermione and she said, "Congratulations Hermione!"

Hermione gave her an odd look. What are they talking and congratulating me for; I haven't done anything, have I?

She kept thinking about what they could be happy about. Maybe it was that test we took last week in Potions. Maybe I had the highest score and Snape told everyone. No, that can't be it, Snape hates Gryffindors; he would never praise us.

She continued on to the Great Hall, still being eyed, pointed at, and whispered the whole time. Normally, she would just pass it off as them making fun of her, but it was different this time because everyone seemed genuinely happy for her; giving her a few waves and grins.

She got to the Great Hall and opened the doors. It was fairly vacant, so she took an empty seat near the end of the Gryffindor table.

She grabbed a muffin and slowly began chewing it. She pulled out her Herbology book, trying to get in a few bits of studying before she had to go there and take the test.

She must have gotten engrossed in the book, because the next thing she knew the Great Hall was getting crowded with people.

As people walked in, they waved to her and again told her congratulations. She was now more confused then ever.

She scanned the room for Harry and looked over to see if he was coming in with the crowd, but she was met with a menacing stare. Cho and Parvati, along with some fourth years, whom she didn't know their names, were looking right at her. They began heading her way and Hermione inwardly cringed. What in the hell do they want now?! Maybe she's come to yell at me for what happened the other day.

The "posse" stood in front of Hermione and Cho moved in front of them all. She put her hands on her hips and her lips seemed to curl into a sneer.

"Listen, Hermione," Cho uttered each letter with pure detest in her voice. "I don't know what you're thinking or who you think you are, but you're not going to beat out me! I will not loose to some total disgrace of a person like you!"

Hermione gave her a devil look right back for that comment and said, "I don't know what you are talking about, and if this is about Harry.."

But Cho interrupted her. "Oh, don't play dumb with me, Granger! And this isn't about Harry. It's about me and you!" She flipped her hair and headed up to the front of the Gryffindor table.

What is her problem?

She felt someone pat her back and she turned to see Harry looking down at her. "So, how do you feel?" He was looking at her with a huge smile on his face.

"Um, ok," Hermione answered, a little bewildered at his question. Do I look sick or something?

"Come on, you have to be more excited then that! I know you weren't expecting it, but I'm with you the whole way. It is a bit weird, just thinking about it, but at least we have each other to get us through it all!" Harry exclaimed.

Hermione was completely lost. What is with everyone today?

Hermione stared at Harry till he asked her what was wrong. "Did I miss something?" Hermione asked him.

Harry lowered his brow and looked at her. "Huh?" he asked.

"I mean, why is everyone acting like this? Did something happen that I don't remember?" Hermione asked him and he started to chuckle a bit.

"Are you that surprised about it that you didn't actually think it happened?" Harry asked her and Hermione looked at him curiously.

"What happened," Hermione asked as she grabbed her juice and began to take a sip.

"That you were nominated for the Queen," Harry said and Hermione spewed her drink out, which landed all over Harry.

"WHAT!" Hermione shrieked. "I thought…I thought that it was a dream!"

Harry looked up at her through his wet bangs and grabbed a napkin, cleaning off the juice from the front of his robes. "It wasn't a dream. It happened yesterday, and you were so shocked, you just sat there, then you went to bed. You didn't even speak; I just thought you were stunned."

Hermione looked around and now everything made sense. She smiled to herself, not only at the revelation but also at the knowledge that people supported her, they actually supported her.

Hermione turned back to Harry, who was still trying to get the juice out of his clothes. His hair was still wet and he seemed to be trying really hard to dry off. She began to laugh.

Harry looked up, seemingly startled by the sudden burst of laughter and gave her a grin. "What's so funny?" he asked and Hermione laughed harder.

"You! You're covered in pumpkin juice!" Hermione uttered.

"Yeah, no thanks to you," Harry said, giving her an evil look which was ebbing itself into a lop-sided smile.

She pulled out her wand and muttered the drying spell and Harry was as good as new. Harry looked down, then at Hermione. "I should have thought of using my wand," Harry said, throwing the wet paper towels onto the table.

"Well, I believe, Mr. Potter that that is the reason you are not the top student in this school and I am! You can defeat Voldemort many times and come out alive, yet you don't have common sense!" Hermione told him, laughing again at him.

Harry grinned at her. "Oh, is that right, Miss Granger! Well, how would you like some pumpkin juice with that ego," Harry said as he grabbed a goblet of juice and leaned it over Hermione's head, threatening to tip it over.

Hermione gave Harry a weary look. "Alright, I'm sorry, but it was funny!" Hermione admitted.

Harry put down the goblet and smiled at her. "Come on Miss Granger," Harry said as he stood up, offering his arm to help up Hermione. "How about you let a wizard with no common sense walk you to class?"

Hermione smiled, taking his hand. "I think I can handle that," Hermione agreed.

"Well at least you can say that I'm a handsome, stupid wizard," Harry told her as they left through the doors.

Hermione swatted Harry's arm, turning to give him a look. "Now look who has the ego!"

It wasn't lost on her as they made their way to Herbology that Harry hadn't released her hand, and she was not about to mention it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hermione met up with Lavender in the library and then they headed out to the Quidditch Pitch. Today, Hermione was going to watch her first quidditch game.

She was excited. It was Gryffindor against Ravenclaw, so she figured it should be a pretty interesting game.

"I can't wait to see this game! I've been looking forward to it this last month!" Lavender exclaimed as she pulled some of her hair out of her face as the wind started to kick up.

Hermione pulled her jacket around her a bit tighter, trying to block out the rush of cold air and said, "I didn't know you were such a big fan of Quidditch."

Lavender smiled. "Oh, no, I'm not," Lavender said and Hermione looked at her quizzically.

"Then why are you so excited?" Hermione asked.

"Because, I get to see Ron in his uniform," Lavender commented and winked at Hermione. Hermione laughed at her friend. It was almost weird to say that, friend. She hadn't said it, actually really ever and truly meant it and it felt good to know that Lavender was there. Lavender didn't judge her or use her just to get good grades, Lavender was a true friend and Hermione was glad to have her support.

"Don't worry Hermione," Lavender said and Hermione snapped out of her thoughts. Turning to her friend, she saw Lavender have a huge grin on her face. "Harry will be there, and he will be in his too!"

"I know, I saw him in it not to long ago," Hermione mentioned.

"Did you take a good look?" Lavender asked.

"Well, I got a great shot of his backside," Hermione said and Lavender looked shocked.

"Hermione Granger, I knew there was a bad side to you!" Lavender commented. She grabbed Hermione's arm and yanked her forward. "Come on, we're going to be late. We don't want to miss them coming out, because when they call out their names, Ron always looks at me and blows me a kiss. He says it's for good luck, I just think it's sweet!"

Hermione smiled at Lavender and envied her love with Ron. She wanted so much to be able to say such things as that.

They found themselves some seats in the middle of the stands and waited for the game to start.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry paced back and forth inside the locker rooms. The game was about to start in a few minutes, but his mind was in another place.

How can I do this? I really don't want to do this!

Harry shook his head and tried to think that what he was doing was for Hermione and she was worth anything. Yeah, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

"Potter," he heard the dreaded voice say and Harry turned to see Draco standing in his quidditch uniform. He was holding his Nimbus 2001 and had a smug look on his face.

"Are you going to keep up your end of the bargain?" Draco asked as he moved a little closer to Harry.

Harry looked at Malfoy with pure distaste. He gripped his hands together as he urged himself to get it over with. He couldn't take it anymore as he threw his much loved and much cared for Firebolt over to Malfoy.

Draco caught it easily, and smiled. "Oh, I sure am going to enjoy this," Draco said as he looked over at his new toy.

He started to walk off and it took Harry all his willpower to keep himself from pounding Draco's body into the ground.

Draco stopped, and turned back to Harry. "Well, I wasn't going to leave you without a broom," Draco said as he threw Harry his Nimbus. "I still want to win this match and as much as I hate to say it, you are our best player."

Draco didn't say anything else as he made his way back over to the other teammates.

Harry felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to meet his red-haired friend's face. Ron shook his head at Harry. "I'm sorry for what you did Harry, but I'm proud of you for it. She must really be special for you to give up your Firebolt for," Ron said.

An image of Hermione's smiling face floated into Harry's mind and he smiled. "You have no idea, Ron. You have no idea," Harry said and he gripped the Nimbus into his hand and headed out to the pitch, ready to kick some Ravenclaw butt.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hermione watched anxiously as the players zoomed out onto the pitch. Hermione saw Harry come out and she marveled at how graceful he flew around the pitch. He's a natural.

She thought something looked odd though. She pulled out her binoculars and zoomed in on Harry. His broom looked different. She knew it wasn't his Firebolt, she would remember that anywhere, as it had been the one he used to help her learn how to fly. Maybe he didn't want to use it today. That couldn't be it; Harry loves that broom, why wouldn't he use it for the match? Hermione knew she had to ask him later about it.

The game went on, and Hermione became intrigued with how everything went. She was more concerned with Harry when he almost was hit by a few bludgers. The score was back and forth for a while, but finally after a few hours of intense playing, the seekers were in a head-to-head nose-dive for the snitch.

Hermione clutched her hands together and watched anxiously as the two seekers went after the game-winning play.

They both turned up just before they would have hit the ground and Hermione couldn't see who caught the snitch.

Silence filled the area as everyone waited to see who the winner would be. Harry was still on his broom; he was slowing down and landed onto the pitch.

He looked up at everyone and Hermione saw his face. His expression was not one of happiness. We lost, we lost! Then, he raised his hand, a glint of gold reflected out and everyone screamed, including Hermione. She watched as Harry began smiling and waving it around.

The quidditch team flew down to meet Harry, all congratulating him on the win. Hermione, just like all the rest of the students, was trying to get out of the stands and to the pitch so she could talk to Harry.

The crowd seemed to loom over her as she slid through the crowd like a maze. How am I ever going to get to him in this mess?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry was smiling, despite the fact that he had just given up one of the things he treasured almost as much as life itself just a few short hours ago, but he was happy. They had won and his teammates were happy. There was just one thing missing, Hermione.

He scanned the crowd, looking for her, but he couldn't find her at all. Where could she be?

Harry felt someone grab his arm and he smiled. "Hermione, I was looking…" he started to say, but trailed off as he noticed it wasn't Hermione grabbing his arm, but Ginny.

"Hey Ginny," Harry said, turning his attention back to the ground.

"Hey Harry," she said. She reached up and planted a kiss on his cheek. He cringed at the contact. He didn't like getting affection from her. "I wanted to ask you something."

Harry didn't really feel like chatting at the moment, he really wanted to get away and find Hermione to share his happiness with her, but this was his best friend's sister, and he had to be nice. "What is it?" he answered her.

"Well Harry," Ginny began. She moved so that she was in front of him, and Harry looked down at her. She was blushing a bit and she was batting her eyelashes up at him. "I was thinking since me and you were single that you would want to go to the Yule Ball with me."

Harry's stomach fell at that moment. He didn't want to go with Ginny and he wasn't going to, but he felt bad to turn her down. What was he supposed to say? He didn't want to hurt her feelings, so he tried his best to let her down easily. "I'm sorry Ginny, and I'm flattered, but I wanted to ask Hermione to go with me."

Ginny's face visibly fell at that moment. Her smiled turned into an instant frown. She released his arm and crossed them over her chest.

"You're going with her?" Ginny asked, a hint of anger in her voice.

"Yes Ginny. We've gotten pretty close these last few days and I would like to take her," Harry answered honestly.

"Why her? What's so great about her?" Ginny said. She raised her hand up and started to stroke his cheek. Pulling herself in closer, she pushed herself into him. "What does she have that I don't?"

Harry stared into her big, blues and instantly wished that Hermione was in front of him instead of Ginny. How could he answer that? He didn't even know really why he was so drawn to her or why he felt so strongly for someone he really just got to know.

He slowly pried Ginny off of him, holding her at arms length. He felt bad for having to turn her down, but he wasn't going to do what everyone expected him to or what he didn't want to anymore. He stared right at her and said, "Hermione is someone you will never understand, because you can't, no one will. She's just herself, no matter what happens. She doesn't judge or make fun of anyone. She's giving and honest and she cares, more than anyone I have ever known. She's a better person than you and me combined and that's why Ginny, that's why I want her."

Ginny didn't say anything to Harry's statement. She stared at him for a moment, before turning and heading through the crowd. The silence that she left him with was uncomfortable, yet it somehow opened his eyes to what he had just said. He didn't even really know when he was saying it that he actually thought that of her, but now it was clear.

The noise of the crowd seemed to diminish as his eyes grew wide. She was it for him; she was what he had been waiting for his whole life. He had to tell her, let her know how he felt. The Yule Ball! That will be a perfect opportunity. After the ball, I will tell her how I feel. Now all I have to do is ask her and hope she hasn't said yes to anyone else yet.

He became frantic, searching for her frizzy, brown hair and bright brown eyes. He couldn't see anything, everything was in his way.

Feeling like he had no other choice, Harry mounted his broom and took off into the sky. Flying up high enough so he could really get a good look, he searched for her. Finally he spotted her near the end of the pitch, trying to push her way through the crowd. He smiled, somehow knowing she was pushing through the crowd for him.

He zoomed over the heads and flew up behind Hermione. She didn't notice he was right there until he shouted her name.

She stopped and looked over her shoulder. Her eyes widen when she saw that he was huddling over the crowd on his broom. He reached out his hand for her. "Come on, get on!" he shouted.

Hermione looked a little reluctant, but she laced her hand with his and he pulled her up and on behind him.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and he took off towards the lake.

Harry stopped by the lake and lowered them to the ground.

"What was that about, Harry?" Hermione asked when they finally were on solid ground.

Harry smiled. "Well, I was looking for you and I knew I would never find you in that mess, so I did the next best thing!"

Hermione smiled at him. Harry grabbed her hand and gave her a serious look. "Hermione, can I ask you something?"

Hermione nodded and Harry squeezed her hand a bit. He suddenly felt a little nervous and he could feel the sweat build up on his face. "Um, well I wanted to know if you would go with me to the Yule Ball?"

Hermione looked stunned for a second before she began smiling. "Yes! Yes, I would love to!" Hermione exclaimed.

Harry felt relief flood his body. Suddenly Hermione's arms wrapped around his neck and he sighed. She was happy and that made him happy. "Thank you Harry!" He heard her say into his ear.

He smiled, pulling her away and looking into her glossy eyes. "No, thank you Hermione," he said sincerely. He interlaced his hand with hers and began heading back to Hogwarts. "I will admit though," he started. "I was a bit nervous about asking you."

Hermione looked at him a little amazed and he grinned. "But then, I thought about something someone really smart told me once," he said.

"What's that?" Hermione asked, looking into his eyes.

"Well, they told me that a person who asks a question is a fool for a minute, but a person who never asks a question is a fool for a lifetime," Harry told her and he saw how Hermione's eyes glistened with happiness and care. "I guess I just didn't want to be a fool for a lifetime, so I took the risk. Lucky for me it worked out, huh!"

Hermione laughed and smiled at Harry. "Lucky for the both of us, actually."

Harry grinned back at her. Reaching up, he put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her in close and sighing in contentment. Alright, she said yes. Now, how to just tell her how I feel? I got to make this perfect and I have some planning to do. Another few sleepless nights for me, but it's worth it. Harry turned, smiling down at Hermione who was snuggled up on his shoulder. Well worth it!

Thank you everyone! Stay Tuned for next chapter (One I'm sure you've all been waiting for!): How Could You?!