Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's All That by harryherm84
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's All That

harryherm84

Disclaimer: Harry Potter is not mine!

A/N: Thanks for the reviews. This took me a bit to get out; I had to work out how I really want this story to progress. I have now outlined it, and this story is probably going to be about 20 chapters, give or take a few.

I would like to dedicate this chapter to: MTM123 who requested I get this story out for her birthday, which is today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I hope this is to your liking!

Hermione's All That

Chapter Eight

The Mentor

(Hermione's Point of View)

Hermione, Harry, Lavender and Ron all strolled down the halls towards Defense Against the Dark Arts. They had just filled their stomachs with a quick breakfast and were now ready to face the day.

Walking down the halls, Hermione could see that everyone was pointing at her and whispering to each other. She ignored it, as she always did, but in the back of her mind she couldn't help but continue to picture the article in the paper.

Why do people have to be so cruel? She didn't deserve this, no one did. She had done nothing to Cho or Parvati, or anyone else for that matter. The only thing she was guilty of was hanging around Harry and having a good time.

As they entered the classroom, Hermione said, "I'm just going to go sit with Neville. We always sit together and I feel bad if I just start sitting with you."

Harry nodded his head in understanding and took a seat behind Lavender and Ron.

Hermione walked up to the front and sat down beside Neville, who, at the moment, was reading the first few pages of his DADA book.

"Hey Neville," Hermione greeted as she took out her books, laying them across the table.

Neville turned and gave her a small smile. "Hi Hermione," he said. Turning back to his work he pulled out his parchment and quill to write down a few notes.

Hermione didn't say anything as she waited for Professor Lupin to arrive. Just then Cho, Parvati and Draco walked in. Cho gave her a smirk while flashing her button at her. Draco just looked her way, and Parvati waved sarcastically while flashing her button also.

Hermione turned her head, not paying attention to any of them. Who cares what they do or say, I have Harry, Lavender and Ron on my side, and that's all that matters. Yeah, but it still hurts.

"Told you," Neville said and Hermione turned to look at him. His head was down, and he was writing notes.

"Huh?" she asked, not really comprehending what he said.

"I said told you," Neville repeated. He continued to write as he spoke. "If you would have listened to me and not gone with Harry then you would not be the joke of the school."

Hermione sat stunned. She really didn't know what to say, but she knew that it wasn't because she went out with Harry; Cho and her posse would have tried to ruin her in any way they could. And she knew that even though she had to go through all this, she wouldn't trade her night with Harry for anything. She had the best time and it was worth all this hassle.

"Neville, don't even say that. I had a great time and I'm used to this anyway," Hermione told him.

The door opened and in walked Professor Lupin. "Good morning class," he said as he took a seat at his desk.

Hermione turned her attention to Professor Lupin, but she heard Neville say, "Well you better get used to it, seeing as how you're one of "them" now."

Hermione didn't comment. First she had that run in with Xander, then this Cho incident, and now Neville had turned his back on her, maybe they're all signs telling me to stay away from Harry? But before all this happened I was unhappy, and now even with all this drama I am happier then I have been since the my parents died.

She blocked out her feelings, not really ready to face all of the thoughts that were racing through her mind and listened to Professor Lupin describe the course for the rest of the year.

When the class ended, everyone began to leave. She had Arthimancy next, which wasn't with Harry, so she bid him a goodbye as he left the room. As everyone passed her to leave, they whispered things like "There's our head girl!" She continued to ignore them as she filled her bag with her books and materials.

She slung her bag over her shoulder and was about to walk out when Professor Lupin stopped her.

"Hermione, may I have a word?" he asked and she obliged. She shut the door and walked back over to his desk. Standing in front of it, she didn't look into his eyes.

"How have you been lately? I read the Daily Prophet, I'm very sorry about that," Lupin said sincerely.

"I've been ok, it still hurts and yes the article in the Daily Prophet didn't help, but I'm still standing aren't I?" Hermione said back to him. She still had her eyes on the ground, unable to look up to her mentor.

"I'm glad everything is going ok, but you really, really need to start talking about your problems. Since the incident you haven't been to talk to me, Dumbledore, or anyone. It's not good to bottle things up. Especially something as tragic as the death of your parents," Lupin spoke in a soft, quiet voice.

She felt the tears come to her eyes and she finally looked up to Lupin. "I know I should talk about it Professor, but I can't right now," Hermione started as a tear ran down her cheek. "I'm just not ready."

Lupin got up from his chair and walked around the table. He placed a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "I know it's hard Hermione. I have lost so many people I cared about dearly, but you have to face it. If you don't it will only swallow you up inside."

Hermione nodded her head as she wiped her tears.

"And just remember that you can talk to me, I'm here to listen, day or night," Lupin explained as he rubbed her back.

Hermione looked up at him and smiled. "Thanks professor," Hermione said.

"Anytime, Hermione. Now, you better go on and get to class before you're late, but never forget that my door is always open," Lupin told her.

Hermione nodded again and turned to the door. She opened it and left for her next class, but her thoughts were on Lupin's words. She knew she had to speak about it soon, because it was practically eating her away inside. Wiping her eyes again, she walked briskly to her next class trying to think about something other than her parents.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(Harry's point of view)

Harry watched as Hermione exited Lupin's classroom, wiping her eyes. He wondered why she was crying.

He had wanted to speak with Lupin about Hermione and how they knew each other, but Lupin asked Hermione to stay behind.

Harry sat against the wall, out of sight, wondering what they were talking about. He didn't want Hermione to see him there, just in case she thought he was spying.

Once Hermione was around the corner, Harry came out of the shadows and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Harry heard Lupin say.

Harry opened the door and walked in.

"Harry, this is a nice surprise. What can I do you for?" Lupin asked while he began placing books on the shelves by his desk.

"Well, first I guess I want to say that I am glad you're teaching Defense this year," Harry said as he took a seat in one of the first desks.

"Well, I'm happy to hear that. I'm glad to be back too," Lupin said. He stopped putting up the books and turned to Harry, a serious expression on his face. He walked over and sat on the edge of his desk facing Harry. "Alright, now why don't you go ahead and tell me why you're really here?"

Harry sighed; he knew that Lupin would catch on to him too quickly. He ran a hand through his hair and stared at Lupin. "Well, I wanted to know how you know Hermione Granger?"

Lupin sat a moment and replied, "Well of course I know her; she was one of my students in third year and not to mention she is Head Girl this year."

Harry slanted his head a bit at Lupin's answer and shook his head. "I wasn't talking about that, and you know it," Harry told him.

Lupin looked out toward the window and got up; he made his way to it and crossed his arms over his chest. Harry saw him take a breath and he knew he was contemplating what to say to Harry.

"Listen Harry," Lupin spoke, but his back was facing Harry. "I know you want to know about Hermione, but I don't think it's my place to tell you what happened. I will tell you that it was very tragic," Lupin stopped for a second turning back to Harry. Harry could see the look of solemn and grief on his face. "Very tragic indeed, and I know it's eating that young lady up inside."

"Well, why can't you just tell me what happened? Then I can help her get through it," Harry said. He wanted to know what was wrong.

"Harry, I wish I could tell you, but it's better if Hermione tells you herself. I was so happy when I saw that you two were becoming friends. She needs someone Harry, someone who will listen to her. You need to help her open up, that will be the best thing for her and when she does, well I know she will tell you everything," Lupin said to Harry. He moved back over in front of Harry and looked down at him.

"I know; Hermione is a really nice girl and I wish we would have got to know each other sooner, but I'm trying now. She told me she really didn't have any friends, and by the way you are talking, I can see that this has affected her greatly," Harry said. He got up from his seat and grabbed his books. "I'll try to get her to talk to me because I know all to well what it feels like to bottle everything up and then one day explode. I thought in fifth year I was going to have a nervous breakdown when I found out about the prophecy, but you and Sirius were there for me."

Lupin placed a hand on Harry's shoulder and smiled a bit. "Harry, you're a good person, and if anybody can get Hermione to open up, I think you can because you relate so well to her and you have both been through devastating times."

Harry nodded and walked toward the door. "Thanks Lupin," he said.

"You're welcome Harry," Lupin replied as Harry left, closing the door behind him.

Harry walked down the hall, toward his next class. It was Care of Magical Creatures and he knew that Hagrid would not be mad that he was late.

Throughout the day, Harry's thoughts were on Hermione and what could have happened to her. He couldn't remember hearing about anything and surely they would have told the school had anything truly terrible occurred. He racked his brain also thinking about how he would get her to open up. First, she needs to trust me more, and then I will try and help her open up. As he continued to ponder over Hermione, everything seemed to enter his mind, everything but the one thing that seemed to start all of this, the bet!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(Hermione's Point of View)

It was now Tuesday and Hermione was waiting to go with Harry to his study session. He had a quick Quidditch practice and he was running a bit late. Hermione waited in the common room for him.

She thumbed through her Astronomy book, making sure she had everything planned for what they were to go over that night.

She thought about her talk with Lupin, actually that was all she thought about last night and throughout the day. The talk seemed to bring forth the memories again and she woke up last night with sweat running down her forehead and images trapped beneath her eyelids. She couldn't shake the feeling that she was still in the same spot, outside the market, reliving the tragic events of that day.

She knew that she needed to talk about her feelings and she thought about going to Lupin, but she just didn't think she could face the demons that haunted her, the past that she longed to forget, and the awful sadness that encompassed her whenever she thought about her parents.

She cried that night, which was something she hadn't done in a few days, or at least since Harry came into the picture. Tonight was going to be there second study session and she actually looked forward to it. She was happy to know that she was becoming more and more comfortable with him.

The portrait hole swung open and Hermione turned to see Harry dragging himself in. He was covered in mud and his hair was matted to his head, but Hermione still thought he looked sexy. Her feelings for Harry began to intensify over the last few days and the more she saw him the more her heart felt like it was going to explode through her chest.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. I had to leave Quidditch a bit early to get here in time," Harry told said as he walked over to her.

She smiled at him. "That's perfectly fine," she replied, the smile still brandished across her face.

"Well, I will go and get cleaned up really quickly and then we can be off," Harry told her and he turned to walk back to his room.

"Alright," she said as she watched him leave. He looks so hot in that uniform. Just look at his fine as…What am I thinking? I don't have thoughts like this! Yes you do! Since when? Since Harry Potter started talking to you, that's when!

She smiled at herself and decided she better read some of the book before she could never get the red to fade from her face.

Harry was out in ten minutes and they were on their way to Professor McGonagall's office.

She was seated at her desk and smiled when they entered. "Ah, Mr. Potter and Miss Granger, it's nice to see you two this evening," she said politely.

"Good evening Professor," Hermione said and Harry nodded.

"Well, this won't take but a minute. I just wanted to tell you that you don't have to meet with me every week. I don't feel that is really necessary at the moment. I will just send you a note if I need to speak with you," Professor McGonagall stated.

"Ok," Harry said.

"That will be fine," Hermione replied respectfully.

"And one more thing, you won't need to patrol every night anymore. I will assign a prefect to do that. I actually only need you to patrol on Sunday's. If I need you another night, then I will send you a letter. But I will still need you to go together, I don't like knowing students are walking these halls alone," Professor McGonagall said sternly.

"Alright Professor," Harry replied and both of them left.

They made their way up to the Astronomy Tower and Hermione began unpacking her things.

She caught Harry up on a few more things and in no time he had mastered it all. She smiled at him for understanding so quickly. They had a few more minutes to spare before class and Hermione wanted to ask him the question that had been plaguing her mind since the incident on Monday.

"Harry, can I ask you something?" Hermione said and Harry turned his attention from putting his notes aside to Hermione.

"Sure," Harry told her.

"Um, well I was wondering why you didn't automatically believe those pictures in the paper. I mean, you could have easily of thought that I was deceiving you and that I wanted to be in Seamus' lap," Hermione said. She looked at the ground and began fidgeting with the side of her cloak.

"Hermione," Harry said and Hermione looked up to him. He had a smile on his face and it gave Hermione some comfort. "For one thing, I know that is not you. You wouldn't do something like that, and second, Cho was the one who showed who first showed us the picture and I knew she had something up her sleeve. Cho is not the one to be all nice to someone, especially the girl that is with her ex-boyfriend, even if she was the one who called it off between us."

Hermione smiled. "I'm glad you understand me. But," Hermione thought a minute on what he said. "You mean Cho dumped you?" she asked.

"Yeah, she did," Harry admitted. "Is it hard to believe?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes. She would have to be an idiot to dumb someone like you," Hermione said and immediately regretted her words.

She saw Harry's face as he stood there shocked at what she said. Hermione turned and looked out over the grounds. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that," Hermione said. She felt an arm on hers and she was turned to Harry.

"Hermione, do you mean that?" Harry asked and Hermione didn't know what to say. Just be honest.

"Yes, I did. You're nice, funny, smart, polite, kind, charming, and not to mention handsome. Any girl would kill to have you," Hermione told him. "And it doesn't hurt that you're the most popular boy in school, the best seeker in Hogwarts history, and not to mention the boy-who-lived." She felt a bit uncomfortable how he was staring at her and then she was suddenly wrapped up in a hug. She smiled, thinking about how Ron had greeted her. They're some hugging people!

Harry released her and smiled. "Hermione, that really is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me," Harry told her as he continued to grin. Hermione felt her heart flip at his face.

It seemed as if in that moment time stood still. Hermione stared into Harry's eyes and saw emotion after emotion glaze over the stunning emerald orbs. She was entranced by them and she felt herself being pulled to him.

She could tell the distance was getting shorter. Harry leaned up and stroked her cheek gently, brushing away a few loose strands of hair. She smiled at the touch, reveling in the fact that he was touching her in such a loving way.

His other hand reached up and cupped her other cheek as he leaned down to kiss her, but they never made it to their mark. A camera flashed and Hermione and Harry broke apart. They looked up to see Pansy Parkinson and her Slytherin boyfriend, Blaise Zabini, staring at them. Pansy was holding a camera and smirking.

"Look at this Blaise, I would have never thought that I would see the day when Harry Potter was about to kiss the mudblood Granger!" Pansy smirked.

Hermione cringed at the word. She hated it most of all. Harry moved her aside and stepped a little in front of her. "Shut the hell up, Parkinson!" Harry threatened.

"Oh, look at this; he has to be all protective! How romantic," Blaise sneered.

Hermione felt Harry tense a little but placed a hand on his arm, trying to communicate through the touch that he needed to stay calm.

"You see, when we saw the pictures in the Prophet, we figured it had to be a joke, something that Cho set up for petty revenge. But then, me and Blaise here saw you two walking to the Astronomy Tower, so we decided to follow. And now we have proof again," Pansy said to them, waving the camera around in her hand.

"Parkinson, give me that camera now!" Harry ordered.

"No! I think I could do some nice things with this. I'm sure all your friends would love to see this. Now, I'm sure that when they saw the picture of you and her dancing, they thought that it was just something that you had to do, out of sympathy, because we all know that the brave and heroic Harry Potter always has to do what's right, but now they will see what is really going on!" Pansy yelled to him.

"Pansy, give us the camera or we will take points off of your house for being up after curfew!" Hermione said from behind Harry.

"No, see, you're not going to take points off, because if you do, well let me just say that this picture will be in every single one of the Wizard magazines and newspapers by morning. Right now, we're just going to use it for leverage. We'll keep it under wraps, but the next time you even do something that ticks us off, we won't hesitate to pull it out!" Blaise stated.

"You wouldn't dare," Harry said, his tone filled with contempt.

"Oh, yes we would. If you haven't noticed, we are Slytherins. Our motto is to black mail and destroy for personal gain!" Pansy said back to them. "Come on Blaise, let's get out of here!"

Hermione felt Harry start to move toward them when they walked out the door, but she held him back. "Harry, don't worry about it. They don't bother me and they shouldn't bother you," Hermione said to him.

"I'm sorry Hermione. I feel like this is all my fault," Harry told her as he looked into her eyes.

People began coming into the tower, so Hermione led Harry away from the group. "Listen Harry, none of this is your fault and I hope you know that. Don't worry about anything, I'm not," she told him and he nodded his head.

As the professor began the lesson, Hermione looked over at Harry who gave her a small smile. Hermione smiled back, but inside she was thinking about Pansy and Blaise's threat. What if they really go through with it? They will destroy Harry. His reputation would be ruined, not to mention that people would pester him with mail and other things. His life would be miserable and she didn't want that to happen to him. She knew that every year something seemed to happen with Voldemort or somehow Harry would be in danger, but this year had actually started off fairly well, and she didn't want that to be ruined just because of her.

She had a lot of things to work out in her head, starting with the little incident that was about to occur had Pansy and Blaise not shown up. She wanted it to happen so badly, but would it have been ok? She didn't know what to think. For once in Hermione's life, she was confused and she knew her answers could not be found in any book in Hogwarts.

Hope everyone liked this chapter. I'm sorry it's a bit short, but I didn't really have much to say here. Everything is just beginning to build up and we see Harry and Hermione's relationship begin to progress in the next few chapters. So stay tuned for the next chapter: Ladies Night and please tell me what you think by REVIEWING!!!!!!!!!!