Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Well, I finished this one must faster than usual. I just felt like doing a lot of writing, so I'm sure you're all happy about that. Another reason why this chapter is out a lot sooner than usual is because of the quick beta work of both Jessica and Nitya. Merci beaucoup to both of them. And finally, thank you. Yes, you. Thanks for actually reading this.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

HUNTER'S SORROW

In Harry's mind, Saturday looked to be the perfect day for any type of Quidditch. The sky was a bright blue, the sun was warm and friendly, and the slight wind was like wisps of someone's breath lightly tickling the hairs on the back of the neck. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky.

Absolutely perfect.

He spent the morning in the common room, his Firebolt in his hands and his broomstick servicing kit open at his feet. Ron and Katie Bell sat near him, both talking of their hopes for the upcoming season. Ginny sat Indian style on the floor, a book open at her side, while Hermione was at a table with Ally Warrick, Dylan Brown, Hunter Farrell, and a girl that Harry didn't know of, helping them with their Charms homework.

When lunch rolled around, both Harry and Ron took their brooms with them to the Great Hall, where they all munched on sandwiches. Harry, however, was very preoccupied.

"I want to ask Professor McGonagall to come and see Hunter," Harry told Ron, Hermione, and Katie. "It will be easier to ask her to let him join if she sees that he can play."

"You sound pretty positive that there isn't going to be someone who's better than this Hunter," Katie commented.

"Well, I'm not," Harry replied, "but what I saw was pretty good."

At that moment, Professor McGonagall walked into the Great Hall, accompanied by little Professor Flitwick. "Well, now's your chance, mate," Ron said.

Harry stood up and quickly walked over to Professors McGonagall and Flitwick. "Professor McGonagall, may I have a word with you?" he asked.

"Certainly Potter. Excuse us, Professor Flitwick," McGonagall said and headed with Harry back through the doors and into the much quieter entrance hall. "What is it?"

"Well-er-I was wondering if you're coming to see the tryouts today?" he asked.

"No, I will not, Potter. I believe in your judgment, along with Miss Bell's and Mr. Weasley's," Professor McGonagall said.

"Oh. Er-I was hoping that you would, because I really would like you to see somebody who I think would be great for the Quidditch team," Harry explained hastily.

"As I said, Potter, I trust your judgment."

"But there's a problem, Professor," Harry said. "It's Hunter Farrell."

"Farrell? But he is a first year," said McGonagall shrilly. "You know the rule Potter."

"Yes, but I was hoping arrangements could be made, like they were for me," Harry told her. "Please Professor, if you would just come and see him. I've got a special tryout set up at twelve-fifty. He could really be great for the Quidditch team. I feel we'll have the Quidditch Cup in our hands again for sure."

"Well," Professor McGonagall said, "I could see if he has any talent. Merlin knows I want to defend the Cup."

Harry smiled. He knew that if he appealed to her desire for an excellent Quidditch team that she would grant his request. "Thanks, Professor! I'll see you later then!" he said and walked happily back into the Great Hall.

*****

At 12:45, Harry, Ron, and Katie headed down the sloping lawn and to the Quidditch pitch. After placing the crate with the four balls and all of the extra broomsticks inside the stadium, the three of them quickly ran into the locker room to change into their scarlet Quidditch robes. By the time Professor McGonagall and Hunter arrived at 12:50, they were ready.

"Hello, Professor," Harry said as they approached him. "Hello Hunter. I want to introduce you to Katie Bell, our Chaser, and Ron Weasley, our Keeper. Katie, Ron, this is Hunter Farrell."

"Hey," both Ron and Katie said, to which Hunter replied with a small, "Hi."

"Well, come on, Potter," Professor McGonagall said. "You don't have much time."

"Yes, Professor. Ron, Katie, let's take Hunter through the paces." With that, Katie opened the crate and grabbed the bright red Quaffle while Ron hopped on his broom and took off, closely followed by Katie. Harry grabbed a broom for Hunter before taking off himself. A moment later, Hunter joined them in the air, a nervous look on his face. "Just relax," Harry called as he signaled Katie to begin. "You'll do fine."

Harry flew around and watched as Katie passed the Quaffle to Hunter, who soared through the air and towards Ron, but at the last second, passed it back to Katie, who flew low and scored.

Well, Harry thought to himself, the kid apparently knows teamwork.

Katie passed the Quaffle to Hunter again, who did a sort of loop before passing it back to Katie, who passed it immediately back. Then, Hunter took aim and plowed the ball right past Ron's left shoulder. Harry laughed.

"You see!" he called. "I told you!"

Ron looked a little upset by having the ball so close to him yet not being able to catch it, but then he grinned. "Not bad!"

Hunter looked far more relaxed now as he and Katie continued to pass the Quaffle and get it past Ron.

"Looks like you need to practice, Weasley!" Katie joked as she flew past him. Ron stuck out his tongue. "Hey, Hunter!" she called as she headed back. "Take the Quaffle from me now!"

Harry watched as the boy was able to steal the Quaffle from Katie several times. When he looked down to where Professor McGonagall was standing, he could see her nodding her head in approval.

"Okay!" he yelled a moment later. "Time's up!"

All four of them landed and both Ron and Katie shook Hunter's hand before walking over to meet up with Harry and Professor McGonagall. "So," Harry asked, "what do you think?"

"He's good, no doubt about that," Katie said. "Shame he's a first year."

"You were right about him, Harry," Ron agreed. "Killer aim."

Harry grinned. "Well, Professor?" he asked, turning to her.

Professor McGonagall sighed. "If you cannot find two good Chasers that are in second year or higher, I will talk to Professor Dumbledore and ask him to consider it."

"Thank you, Professor," Harry said. After McGonagall left, he turned to Ron and Katie. "Do you really think we're going to find two good Chasers?"

Ron coughed. "No, I think we're going to only find one."

"Yeah," Katie said, winking, "only one."

Harry looked over Katie's shoulder to see the first of many Quidditch team hopefuls entering the stadium. He sighed. "Well, let's find our other Chaser and new Beaters."

After Harry, who was rather nervous, had explained how the tryouts were to proceed, he took to the air with Katie and Ron, but not before Andrew Kirke and Jack Sloper marched up to Harry.

"Hey, how come we aren't on the Quidditch team?" Sloper asked angrily.

Katie and Ron quickly joined Harry. "Because," Harry replied, "you were simply replacements seeing as Fred and George were banned."

"But you still need two Beaters," Kirke said earnestly.

"And you're more than welcome to try out for the positions," Katie told them scathingly, "but I doubt you'll make the team if you play the same way you did last year."

Both Kirke and Sloper turned bright red. "I practiced," Kirke mumbled.

"Good," Harry said, "then I'll expect a good performance out of you." With that, he mounted his Firebolt and was off, closely followed by Ron and Katie.

The tryouts went rather smoothly, although Harry couldn't find anyone who seemed to be good enough for the team. As he flew around Katie, she shook her head, as did Ron when Harry flew near the goalposts.

When Sloper and Kirke tried out, Harry noticed a great improvement in Kirke, but not Sloper. Sloper was the same, if not worse, than what he was the year before. Kirke, however, looked to have some promise. All of the other Beater hopefuls that had tried out already seemed to have Sloper's skill-none at all.

Hope came in the form of a second year with light brown hair named Alex McGuire. His aggressive nature with the Bludger reminded Harry greatly of Fred and George. He grinned and looked over at Ron and Katie, who were both nodding.

"I think we've found a new Beater," Katie said as she flew up next to Harry.

"Yeah, I'll say," Harry said with another grin.

He flew around, waiting for the next hopeful to fly up and join them. In the stadium, he saw the familiar bushy hair of Hermione. Smiling, he waved as he passed and saw her wave back.

As he flew back up towards Katie, he noticed Ginny flying up to meet them. She looked slightly nervous, but otherwise fine. Harry flew up next to her. "Hey Ginny."

"Hi Harry," she said, taking a deep breath.

"Don't be nervous," he advised.

"I'm not," she replied.

"Good. I mean, it's pretty simple. Just steal the Quaffle from Katie and beat Ron," Harry said. "Good luck."

Ginny rolled her eyes and waited until Harry gave her the signal, then she was off. Harry watched as she did an interesting crossover move on Katie and then efficiently stole the Quaffle, before turning and heading off towards Ron and the goalposts. She flew straight towards the right goal, then suddenly jerked left. Ron bought Ginny's feint and dived as Ginny plowed the ball right through the right hoop. Harry laughed.

"Very good," he said as Ginny flew back towards him. "Now, one more time."

Ginny shrugged and waited for Harry's signal again, then tore off after Katie and the Quaffle again. After she stole it, Harry flew up next to her and yelled, "Great, now work with Katie!" With that, he motioned Katie and Ginny quickly passed the Quaffle off to her.

Ginny was very good, Harry had to admit as he watched Ginny and Katie continuously pass the ball back and forth, back and forth, confusing Ron. Harry chuckled. It looked like his Keeper needed to practice. Suddenly, with a quick twist, Ginny threw the Quaffle through the middle hoop, straight past Ron.

Harry flew towards them. "Nice, very nice. Thanks, Ginny."

She shrugged and flew back down to the ground and the next Chaser hopeful flew up, but it only took a minute for Harry to realize that that person had no hope to join the Quidditch team. In fact, none of the other people that tried out were good enough to join the Quidditch team.

Harry sighed after the last hopeful flew down. "Well?" he asked Ron and Katie.

"Yeah, we are definitely going to need that Hunter kid," Ron said.

Katie nodded. "Ron's sister was good, but the only other person who was halfway decent was that fourth year girl-Clouse, but we can't use her."

"No," Ron agreed. "The rest were bloody awful."

"So we know who our Chasers are, but what about the Beaters?" Harry asked. "I'm all for that McGuire guy."

"Me too," Katie said. "But the rest of them…"

"Yeah," Harry agreed. "I suppose our best bet is to let Kirke back on the team. It looked like he at least practiced over the summer holiday."

"So, do we have our team?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded. "I think so."

"Harry," Ron said, "we are going to have to practice often."

"Yeah, I know," Harry replied. "It's not like we've got Fred, George, Angelina, and Alicia still on the team. We are going to have to really practice to get them all in shape."

"Just don't make the practices at five in the morning, okay Harry?" Katie said with a wry grin.

Harry laughed. "I am no Wood, that's for sure. Now come on, let's go inform everyone and then tell Professor McGonagall that we couldn't find anyone else."

They landed and everyone watched them anxiously. Harry saw that Ginny was standing next to Hermione and kept shuffling her feet, while Hermione whispered a few words to her. Harry walked towards the front of the crowd and an excited murmur whipped its way through the group.

Harry cleared his throat. At that moment, Ron walked up next to Harry and whispered in his ear, "This is the reason why I'm definitely happy I'm not the captain."

Harry scoffed. "Gee, thanks, Ron."

"Anytime, mate," Ron said and clapped him on his shoulder before running back to where Katie stood.

Harry rolled his eyes and cleared his throat again before beginning. "Excuse me," he said loudly and a sudden hush came over the crowd. "Well-er-thank you all for coming and trying out. It's a shame we can't take all of you. Er-anyway, to announce who our new Beaters and Chaser are…"

"Chaser?" came a voice from the crowd. "I thought you needed two?"

"Er…we've already found one," Harry replied as a disappointed murmur ran through the crowd. "Anyway, so we've decided that our new Beaters are Alex McGuire and Andrew Kirke." There was a small smatter of clapping. "Our new Chaser," Harry continued, letting a smile creep onto his face, "is Ginny Weasley." Ginny lit up brightly and hugged Hermione, who was jumping up and down, laughing. "Thanks again, everybody," Harry finished as both Andrew Kirke and Alex McGuire walked up and shook hands with him.

"Thanks, Harry," Andrew said.

"You got yourself on the team, Kirke," Harry said. "I'll let you both know when our first practice is. It should be soon."

"Who's the other Chaser?" McGuire asked.

"You'll find out soon enough," Harry replied. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some things to attend to." He turned to Ron and Katie, "I'm going to talk to McGonagall. Can you two clean up for me please?"

"Will do, Harry!" Katie called.

Harry began to take off then suddenly he found himself in a giant bear hug and red hair in his face. "Thank you, thank you, Harry!" Ginny said.

"No problem, Ginny, although you did everything yourself," he replied. Behind Ginny, Hermione stood trying to stifle her laughter.

Harry freed himself from Ginny's grasp. "I've got to go talk to Professor McGonagall. In the meantime, go give your brother a hug. See you later."

He quickly walked back to the castle and up the stairs until he ran right smack into Professor McGonagall, who was holding a stack of books. "Oh! Sorry, Professor," he said sheepishly and began to help her pick her books back up.

"Yes, Potter, please watch where you are going," she said. "Where were you going in such a hurry?"

"I was looking for you," he replied. "We're definitely going to need Hunter on the team."

"You're positive?" she asked, eyeing him.

"Yes, Professor. The only good Chaser we found was Ginny Weasley. We couldn't find any decent Chasers after that," he told her.

She frowned. "Very well. I will go speak to Professor Dumbledore about Farrell. Does he have a broomstick?"

"Yes, he does."

"Good. Can't go buy one for him like we did for you," she said as she picked up the last of her books. "Don't worry, Potter, I'm sure Professor Dumbledore will allow it."

Harry smiled. "Thanks Professor," he said and took off up the stairs. He traveled down halls and corridors until he finally reached the Fat Lady.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. "It's a nice day outside."

"Need to find someone," he replied absently. "Phoenix Ashes."

She swung open on her hinges, admitting him into the common room. But as he climbed through the portrait hole, she said, "You kids need to learn to value sunlight and fresh air."

In the common room, Harry did a quick sweep and saw that the one he was looking for was not there. Instead, he saw Dylan Brown with what looked remarkably like one of Fred and George's fireworks.

"Excuse me Dylan," he said, walking over, "but have you seen Hunter?"

Dylan looked up, surprised. "Oh, hi Harry!"

"Have you seen Hunter?" Harry asked again.

"Hunter? I saw him at lunch. He was telling Ally and I that he was trying out for the Quidditch team, which is impossible because he's only a first year. But he left around twelve-fifty anyway. Saw him not too long after and he was grinning, which is odd because I've never seen him grin before. Something's up with him, I know it. Anyway, he and Ally went down to the library to go work on their homework. They wanted me to come along, but it's Saturday. I can do it tomorrow night." He said this all very fast.

"So he's in the library?" Dylan nodded. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, Harry."

Harry took off again, heading down to the library, hoping that he would find Hunter there. However, when he arrived in the library, he saw somebody he wasn't expecting to see.

"Hello, Harry," Cho Chang said, going slightly pink.

"Hi Cho," he said, also turning pink.

"Haven't spoken to you in awhile," she said. "How are you?"

"Utterly delightful," he said waspishly without knowing why, but then he suddenly blurted out, "How's Michael?"

She blushed even harder. "We broke up."

"Pity," he said.

Her eyes narrowed. "What's your problem? What, has your precious Hermione given you the cold shoulder?"

Harry's eyes widened. "She's not my girlfriend!" he said fiercely.

"Funny, you could have fooled me!" she said in the same tone.

"Funny, you did," Harry muttered.

"What?" Cho exclaimed.

"Potter! Chang!" Madam Pince, the librarian snapped. "Take your little quarrel outside, now!"

Harry and Cho marched outside the library. "What do you mean, Harry, 'you did?'"

"Exactly what I said. You did. You fooled me," he said angrily.

"And how did I do that?" she said incredulously.

"By making me think you cared about me, when all you wanted was to find out about Cedric," he responded.

Enraged, she slapped him. "How dare you!" she bellowed.

He didn't flinch; he didn't even move an inch. "Well, it's the truth, isn't it?" he said quietly.

"No! I cared about you, Harry, I did," she said, tears forming in her eyes. "But now I don't know why I ever did, you great prat!" And just like that, she ran off, trying to keep the tears from falling down her face.

He touched his face gingerly before turning back to the library and entering, once again looking for Hunter.

He swept passed the aisles and tables, searching until finally he saw Ally Warrick. Hunter was not with her. He stepped up to her table. "Ally," he said quietly.

She looked up and smiled. "Hello, Harry. How are you?"

"I'm fine," he said. "I was told by Dylan Brown that you and Hunter were down here. Er-where's Hunter?"

"Oh, he couldn't concentrate," she said sadly, "so I told him to gather his books, go outside, and get some fresh air. I could tell he wanted to be alone."

"What-" he started, but stopped, knowing better than to ask for speculation from somebody who may or may not have been Hunter's friend. All that Harry knew was that their fathers were friends, or had been. It didn't seem that Hunter or Ally were that close at all. "Thanks," he said to her and turned around, heading out towards the grounds.

It was still beautiful out, Harry noted, as he searched the grounds for the young first year. He only wished that the boy would stop being so elusive. It was starting to get on his nerves a little, to be honest, and he had not known the boy for very long.

He finally found Hunter sitting down under a tree near the lake, his bag beside him as he stared out into the bright blue water. Harry cleared his throat as he approached, making the boy jump. "Sorry," he said when he finally arrived at the tree. "I've been looking for you."

Hunter looked up. "Yeah? What for? Am I the new Chaser?"

Harry grinned. "It looks to be that way. McGonagall's going to talk to Dumbledore about it. I don't see why Dumbledore would refuse."

Hunter cocked an eyebrow. "Because I'm a first year?" he asked sarcastically.

Harry wasn't going to have any of that. He sat down next to Hunter and said, "What's with you, huh?"

"What do you mean?" he asked irritably.

"Your attitude. I thought we made some progress a couple of days ago," Harry said.

"Yeah," he muttered.

"Why the hell are you so moody? Why is it when anyone even mentions your father-" Hunter's breath hitched. "-do you always get so reserved?"

"Why do you care?" Hunter retorted.

"Because," Harry said, "I want to know if I can help."

"Well you can't!" Hunter said, jumping up. "You don't know how it feels!"

"How am I supposed to know what it feels like if I don't even know what it is?" Harry shot back.

Hunter stared down at him venomously. "You lost your parents long ago and you don't even remember. You don't remember what it feels like," he said quietly.

Harry blinked. "Hunter, did your dad…die?"

Tears welled up in the boy's eyes and he turned away from Harry furiously. Harry sighed sadly and leaned back against the trunk of the tree, his own feeling of loss returning to him. "You're wrong," he said quietly, so quietly he wasn't sure Hunter heard him. "I do know what it feels like."

And Harry understood-he finally understood-why he was chosen to be Hunter's mentor. They both were suffering a personal tragedy.

Hunter turned slowly and faced Harry, wiping the tears from his eyes. "You do?" he asked in a voice much like a young child's.

"Yes," Harry replied, closing his eyes and willing his feelings of despair away. "My godfather died recently too."

"Godfather? You had a godfather? What was his name?" Hunter asked, settling himself back down upon the ground.

"Sirius Black."

His eyes widened. "The murderer?"

"He wasn't a murderer!" Harry snapped. "He was innocent. The Ministry finally cleared his name after his death. One of these days," he said quietly, "I'm going to make the real murderer pay. He'll rot in Azkaban."

"My father may have heard about the real killer," Hunter said. "He was an Auror."

"An Auror?" Harry repeated, turning to look at Hunter. "When did he die?"

"In July. He was fighting some Death Eaters during a Muggle attack," Hunter said sorrowfully.

"July? Muggle attack?" And suddenly the last issue of the Daily Prophet Harry received that summer flashed through his mind. A memorial for the two Aurors that died, Gavin Farrell and Aidan Curtis, will be held in the Atrium at the Ministry of Magic tomorrow night. "Gavin Farrell," he whispered.

"What?" Hunter said hoarsely.

"Gavin Farrell," Harry repeated. "Your father."

And with those words, the boy fell into a fit of sobs. Harry didn't know what to do, but he felt his instincts take over and, in what he supposed was a brotherly manner, he hugged the boy, letting him cry on his shoulder.

"He promised, damn it, he promised!" Hunter howled, his voice muffled. "He promised he'd come home!"

Eventually, his sobs faded and both boys, pasty and pale, made their way back to the castle.

Broken promises were, Harry realized that day, the only thing a war ever brought. And in many years to come, that would haunt him.