Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: I've returned from my trip to Montreal with good news…I'm updating! There's exactly one week to HBP and my deadline is Friday. In other words, keep checking for updates, because you'll more than likely receive them all week. I'm staying up late and working hard. I will finish on time. You're about to see just how determined I can get. I've even got full cooperation from my mother, who I constantly fight over the computer with. Anyway, thank you Nitya for working your arse off as much as me. It's because of you that I can get these chapters out so quickly.

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

FULL MOON FEVER

Zabini, Harry noticed, did not attend Monday's Defense Against the Dark Arts class, nor did he attend Tuesday's Potions class. He had expected to hear Malfoy laughing about the situation like he usually did, but Malfoy and the rest of the Slytherins were quite subdued. Even Professor Snape wasn't his usual scowling self in Potions.

"I don't think any of them ever expected a Slytherin to be killed," Hermione murmured after class. "Not even when that basilisk from the Chamber of Secrets was running around did a single one of them get petrified. They've been caught off guard."

"Only one good thing came of this," Harry said, "and that's the list of suspects narrowing significantly. Nearly the entire school was in the Great Hall when the murderer struck. All that needs to be done is to find out which people weren't. Notice that Frost was one of them."

"And so was Kingsley," she said.

"Kingsley's not the killer."

"I know, but I'm saying that it looks bad," she said as they exited the dungeon. "I'm worried."

"So am I." He decided to change subjects. "So, where did you put that crown Dumbledore gave you?"

The evening after the dueling contest, Professor Dumbledore had pulled Hermione aside to present her with the winner's crown.

"It's in my dorm. It doesn't even belong to me-Harry, you were about to win. I'm-"

He reached over and placed a finger gently on her lips to quiet her. "That crown doesn't matter to me. It's only a symbol. I am much happier knowing that my friends are safe. I would be much happier knowing that the school is safe."

She sighed. "I'd be happy if you just took the crown from me."

"I don't want it," Harry said. "You won, fair and square. It's yours."

"I didn't win fair and square! You were distracted and I was stupid enough to pick up your wand," she said fiercely.

"Smart enough, you mean," he corrected.

"Harry-"

"You didn't do anything wrong, Hermione."

"I was trying to give your wand back to you!"

"Noble as your intentions were, you still won. Had you given me my wand back successfully, you probably would have won. The crown belongs to the victor and that's what you are."

"I am not the victor!"

He laughed as they climbed a stairwell and walked down a corridor. "I don't understand why you keep contesting this."

"Because I feel like I cheated and I hate that feeling. I cheated you out of something that rightfully belongs to you," she said.

He gave an exasperated sigh and turned quickly, pushing open the door to an empty classroom. He grabbed Hermione's wrist. "Come on," he muttered and pulled her inside.

"Harry!" she hissed. "What are we doing in here?"

"You feel you cheated me-fine. Let's settle this. Let's have a rematch. Whoever wins gets the crown," Harry said, getting out his wand.

"You can't be serious!" she said. "We'll be caught."

"We will not." He waved his wand. "Silencio!"

"Soundproofing the room won't do much," Hermione said. "What if somebody walks in?"

Harry pointed his wand at the door. "Colloportus!"

She sighed. "You really want to do this?"

He nodded. "If it will prove my point."

She eyed him shrewdly. "You better not hold anything back."

He gave her a slight mocking bow. "On my honor, milady."

She gave a small chuckle before taking out her wand. She saluted him, which he returned, before they both bowed to each other.

"Oh, and Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"Don't hold back either."

She grinned. "I wouldn't dream of it." She looked around the classroom and suddenly waved her wand, causing all of the desks to fly towards the wall. She turned back to Harry. "That's better," she said and with a sly grin, shouted, "Confundo!"

But Harry was ready. "Protego!" he yelled and sent a hex at her, which she deflected.

"Impedimenta!"

Harry ducked out of the way, sending another hex at her, but once again she deflected it. She caught him with a Trip Jinx and then he got her with the Leg-Locker Curse.

"Avis!" Hermione yelled, sending a flock of small birds at Harry.

He batted them out of the way, but was hit with the Blasting Curse, sending him skidding to the floor. Hermione stepped forward and he sent a Trip Jinx at her. She fell to the floor and then he was on top of her, laughing, while trying to get her wand out of her grip. He had her. He was going to win.

He pointed his wand down at her, but then found his wrist caught by her other hand. She tilted her wand at him. "Expelliarmus!" she murmured and his wand flew from his hand. He jumped off of her after it when she rolled onto her side. "Accio!" she said and his wand flew directly from underneath his fingers to her outstretched hand. Then with a triumphant "ha!" she sat up, twirling his wand.

He laughed. "I told you that you won that crown fair and square." Then, feeling particularly mischievous, he launched himself at her and began to tickle her mercilessly. "Now give me back my wand."

"Harry!" she gasped in between her shrieks of giggles. "Stop!" She held up her wand for him.

He ceased his attack. "Thank you," he said and took his wand before pocketing it.

She sighed. "Harry…" she murmured, leaning forward slightly.

"Yes?" he asked, leaning towards her.

A playful glint sparked in her eyes. "Rictusempra."

His eyes widened as his laughter took control, the Tickling Charm doing its job. "I…don't…believe…you!" he cried in between laughs.

She got up, admiring her handiwork. "Think twice before you tickle me again, Potter."

"Mercy!" Harry yelled. She waved her wand and his laughter ebbed. "You're one twisted witch, Granger."

She smiled. "I know."

*****

They returned to the common room to find an irritable Ron. "Where were you two?" he demanded. "I've been so bored!"

"While it's sweet that you apparently need us to have fun," Hermione said, "you need to learn how to entertain yourself."

"Not all of us grew up as only children," Ron said scathingly.

"That's why I said you need to learn how, Ron," Hermione shot back.

"We're sorry we took so long," Harry said. "We got caught up in something."

He eyed them both. "What was it?"

"Oh, Harry and I just had a little disagreement about something and Harry just had to prove his point," Hermione said.

"Which I did, so all is well now," Harry said, trying to suppress his grin.

Ron looked utterly bewildered. "What were you two fighting about?"

"Nothing important," Hermione replied. "Something stupid really."

Ron didn't look convinced. "You two don't argue about stupid stuff. And you're not the pigheaded one, Hermione."

Harry's shoulders slumped in offense. "Hey!"

"Well, she is when she argues with me, but never with you, Harry."

"Hey!" Hermione said, folding her arms across her chest. "Thanks Ron." She stormed over to the girls' dormitory door, opened it, and then disappeared behind it.

Ron turned to Harry. "What did I say?"

Harry shook his head. "You insulted her."

"I was just joking!"

"I know that, but I don't think she does."

"She's mental."

"She's sensitive," Harry told him. "The truth of the matter is you both are pigheaded when you argue, but more than likely, it's you who comes across as a great big prat!" He turned and walked away.

"Where are you going?" Ron asked.

"Up to our dorm so that you can have some time to think about that," Harry said.

When he got there, he plopped down on his bed and pulled out his mother's diary. He was into the month of November of her sixth year. When he reached December, he noticed a change in the tone of which his mother wrote about her father.

13 December, 1976

Christmastime is approaching rapidly. I plan on returning home for the holidays. I received a letter from my parents today. It seems my sister Petunia has met someone and she plans to have him over for dinner on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure she'll approve of me coming home though. She's never much liked the idea of my being a witch. She's a person who doesn't like things that are abnormal and well, to her, I'm abnormal. I sometimes wonder if I've somehow ruined her perfect little life. I hope not.

Something very interesting happened to me today. I received a gift. It was a small carved partridge in a small pear tree. You'll never guess who sent it to me-I can't believe it myself! James Potter! There was a note from him that said that I would be receiving every gift from the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas." I'd really love to see it if he actually managed to get me twelve drummers drumming. I know that he fancies me and all, but honestly, I never would have expected this. Not out of James Potter. James Potter is not a sweet man. He's a prat. But what if there is something more to him?

Lily

Apparently his father did send her twelve drummers drumming on Christmas, much to the surprise of her family. Her entries after her return to Hogwarts in January were very interesting reads, and as he entered the month of February, he noticed that his mother had stopped referring to his father as "Potter," but rather by James.

When he reached March, Ron, Dean, and Seamus entered the dormitory. He quickly hid the diary.

"There you are, Harry!" Seamus said.

"Have you been up here all this time?" Dean asked. "You missed dinner and everything."

Harry glanced down at his watch. It was close to midnight.

"Hermione was a bit worried about you," Ron told him. He glanced over at Seamus and Dean as they started to rustle around in their trunks. Ron dropped his voice to a whisper and added, "And I apologized to her."

Harry nodded. "I'm sure she appreciated that."

"So what have you been up to? Reading Beowulf still?" he asked.

"Er-no. I-er-nodded off," Harry said. "I woke up not too long ago."

"Well maybe you can sneak down to the kitchens and grab yourself something to eat then," Ron suggested.

"No. I'm not hungry. More sleep sounds good," he replied.

"Are you feeling okay?" Ron asked.

"Yeah-why?"

"Oh, nothing. It's just that whenever somebody's sick in my family, they tend to sleep a lot," Ron told him.

"I'm fine. I'm just tired, that's all. It's been a rough day."

He frowned. "Sorry, mate."

"Don't worry about it. I'll be fine," he said, yawning.

Ron yawned too. "Don't do that!"

Harry grinned before yawning again. "Good night, Ron."

Ron scowled as he yawned again. "G'night Harry."

*****

When Harry, Ron, and Hermione walked down to Hagrid's hut the next day for Care of Magical Creatures, he bounded over to them happily.

"Harry, Hermione-come quick! Yeh have ter see! Yer kneazle gave birth last night!" Hagrid said.

Hermione glanced over at Harry, excitement evident on her face. She ran quickly over to the side of Hagrid's hut, Harry and Ron jogging behind her. When they reached their pen, Harry peered in and saw Psyche lying inside a crate filled with blankets, with five, in Harry's opinion, ugly little fur balls lying beside her.

"Aren't they cute?" Hermione said, her eyes gleaming.

Harry glanced at Ron. Her love of felines did not spread to them. "Er-sure," Harry said.

She peered up at Hagrid. "Can I hold one of them?"

"It's best that yeh don't," Hagrid said. "Kneazle mums are very protective."

Harry noticed something. "Where's Eros?"

"I had ter move him ter another pen," Hagrid said. "Yer female might have scratched his eyes out had he stayed."

"That's certainly not good," Hermione said, smiling down at Psyche. "After all, we can't have the father mauled."

"So what are you going to do with all of these kneazles once we're done with them?" Harry asked.

"Give them ter any students who want ter keep them as pets. Otherwise I know a few places that I can send 'em," Hagrid said. "I'll be sad ter see them go, though."

"So will I," Hermione said.

They all turned as the rest of the class approached. "Well, I had best be lookin' after the class now. Yeh two can start yer observations on kneazle motherhood. It'll be good for yer paper."

Ron frowned. "I guess I have to go. Don't coo at the cats a lot, Hermione."

She rolled her eyes. "They're kneazles, not cats."

"Kneazles, cats-whatever. They're both ugly."

"Says he who had a pet rat," Hermione shot back.

"He was a hand-me-down," Ron said with a shrug as he walked away.

"He was a traitor," Harry muttered after Ron was out-of-sight.

Hermione looked up and frowned. Then, to Harry's surprise, she reached over and took his hand in hers. "One day, justice will be served," she said quietly, "and you'll never have to worry about Wormtail again."

"I want vengeance," Harry said, looking down at their joined hands.

"What type of vengeance are you thinking of?" she asked.

"He should get exactly what my parents got-death," he said angrily.

She squeezed his hand slightly. "Do you think that's what your parents want?"

He sighed. "I dunno. I know that they wouldn't want me to kill him. Maybe if the dementors are reinstituted at Azkaban, he could go there and live out the rest of his life, tortured and in despair."

She didn't reply; she stood up and pulled him closer instead. He took some comfort in her closeness, and then turned back to look at the kneazles. They weren't that ugly.

*****

A few days later found Harry sitting in the common room. It was a Saturday and many of the students were outside. The late May weather had led to there being a nice warm breeze outside and the students were taking advantage of it.

Harry had been rather sullen and quiet during the past week. With so few people in the common room that morning, Harry took the opportunity to sit down and read more out of his mother's diary.

By the time the sun started to set, Harry had come a long way. He had finished her sixth year and was in the month of February of her seventh.

14 February, 1978

Today was my first date with James. You have to admit that Valentine's Day is the perfect day for a first date; however, this wasn't a perfect first date.

James and I traveled around Hogsmeade for a little while. I learned quite a bit about him. His full name is James Henry Potter. He is the only child of one of the wealthiest wizarding families around, which I already knew, of course. I never did know what his parents' names were until today, when he told me. He is the son of Richard and Emma Potter. Apparently his father is quite the philanthropist. He's donated over 3,000 Galleons to St. Mungo's over the years. When I inquired about his father's business, James told me that their family owns a company that makes Dark Detectors.

We headed to the Three Broomsticks in the afternoon for butterbeers. Of course, who should be there but Sirius, Remus, and Peter. James and I sat down after he ordered the butterbeers and we continued our conversation. That's when the trouble began. James started kicking me! I couldn't believe it! I finally accepted his invitation to go on a date and he abuses me! I wasn't going to have that. I jumped up, called him a horrible prat, and walked out.

Next time, think before you act, Lily.

A few moments later, James ran out of the Three Broomsticks and yelled my name. I turned back and faced him; ready to give him a piece of my mind when he caught up with me and…kissed me! He kissed me! I forgot why I was so angry at him. He then apologized and told me that Sirius and Remus had performed a Kicking Jinx on him. I still feel horrible about what I said to him in the Three Broomsticks. Really horrible. He wouldn't accept my apology either. He told me that after so many years of "acting like the greatest gift to Earth," he deserved to be called most of the foul things people say about him. We left Hogsmeade then-he escorted me back to Hogwarts, and when we parted, he kissed me again!

I honestly don't know what to think about today. All I know is that James Potter truly is not the man I used to think he was. He's changed…he's different, and I like that.

Lily

As interesting as Harry found that entry, he found one that was even more interesting, in his opinion.

20 February, 1978

After two dates, I suppose I can officially call James my boyfriend now. We spent the evening in the library on a "study date" which actually ended with us snogging in a deserted corridor on the third floor. You'd think I'd be rather embarrassed to write that, but actually I don't think I've ever felt more alive.

The date did start on a sour note, though, when James came huffing into the library. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me that he and his friends had just had a run-in with Mara Frost. She apparently did not approve of James and me dating. James told me that she actually had the nerve to call me a Mudblood. I think he said her exact words were, "I can't believe you're wasting your time with that little Mudblood!" Anyway, I'm so used to Frost's jealousy that I don't care what she says. James was quite upset though. It sounds like he defended my honor-how sweet!

Note to self: must snog James again. He's a really good kisser.

Lily

Anger boiled inside Harry. That vile woman had called his mother such a filthy name, and then she had used the same term against Hermione. Frost really must have hated Muggle-borns. What did his mother, or Hermione for that matter, ever do to her?

He slammed the diary closed and stood up. He wanted to know exactly what had transpired in the conversation Frost had with his father so many years ago, and there were only two people in that school who knew: Frost…and Remus Lupin.

Harry bounded up the steps to the boys' dormitory to return the diary. Knowing that he would probably be out past curfew, he grabbed his invisibility cloak and stuffed it in his bag before snatching up the Marauder's Map. He then returned to the common room to find that Ron and Hermione had just entered it.

"There you are!" Ron said, smiling. "We just came from dinner. You should have been outside today-wonderful day! Wait until you hear about what Lavender Brown told us about Malfoy!"

Hermione, though, had a concerned look on her face as she studied Harry. "What's wrong?"

"I'm going to go see Professor Lupin," Harry informed them. "I want to learn everything I can about Mara Frost."

"Frost?" Ron said, looking perplexed. "Now?"

"Yes, now," Harry said, walking past them to the portrait hole.

"Wait! We'll come with you!" Hermione said, turning to follow along behind him.

"Why the sudden need to know, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Because I have to know why she hated my mother, and why she hates Muggle-borns," Harry added in a whisper.

"But is there a reason why it has to be right now?" Ron asked. "I mean, you've really got to hear what Lavender told us about Malfoy."

"You can tell me on the way to Lupin's office," Harry said, pushing open the portrait. He strode down the corridor at a fast pace, both Ron and Hermione having to lengthen their strides to keep up.

"I don't understand why we have to see Professor Lupin now," Ron complained. "Can't we wait until tomorrow?"

"No!" Harry snapped. "I have to know tonight." He glanced over at Ron. "Weren't you going to tell me some obviously juicy gossip?"

"Huh? Oh, well, we were down at dinner and Lavender Brown rushes up to us and says, 'It's true! It's true!' and then I say, 'What's true?' and she tells me and Hermione that Malfoy's got himself a girlfriend!" Ron said, snickering. "But that's not the best part!"

Harry looked sharply at Ron. "Malfoy's got a girlfriend? And why do I care?"

"Because," Ron said, "it's Pansy Parkinson!"

"Which is not surprising," Hermione added, "considering she practically drools all over him."

"Good old Draco must be really desperate," Ron said gleefully, "to go out with the likes of her!"

"He probably just doesn't like the fact that Goyle landed a girlfriend and is still with her," Harry muttered.

"Not to mention that Pansy Parkinson is a bit of a slag," Ron said.

Hermione grinned. "Not calling them 'scarlet women' anymore, are you?"

"I say 'scarlet women' when I'm trying to be polite. With Pansy Parkinson there's no need," Ron said. "She's a slag."

Hermione giggled. "Ever the gentleman."

They pulled back a tapestry and walked down the stairwell that was behind it. As they reached the bottom, they heard voices. They stopped and stood very still, as the voices sounded very familiar to Harry's ear.

"Honestly, Professor Snape, this is all part of the investigation. I don't understand why you are being so difficult, especially when the last death came from your House," came Crow's voice from beyond the tapestry Harry, Ron, and Hermione were standing behind.

"Ms. Frost took the pleasure of interrogating me before. I do not understand why I am being interrogated again, unless I am a suspect," Snape said.

"Well, you aren't in my eyes, but I must do my job and Praetor Weasley asked that the entire staff be questioned again," Crow said.

"Weasley is just a boy, and a stupid boy at that. I had hoped that with the new Minister, Mr. Weasley would have been removed from Hogwarts since it is rather obvious that he is an incompetent suck up," Snape growled.

Harry glanced back at Ron and noticed that his face was red.

"He is young, sí, and he has much to learn, but he is still my boss at the moment and I follow orders," Crow said stiffly.

"That's your problem," Snape said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, Crow, I have a cauldron to clean."

They heard Snape swoop away, followed up by Crow's sigh. Eventually his footfalls died away.

"Come on," Harry murmured.

They pulled back the tapestry and continued on. When they finally reached Professor Lupin's office, Harry knocked on the door. But it wasn't Lupin who answered, it was Mara Frost.

"Potter, Granger, and Weasley," she sneered. "Lupin doesn't keep office hours at this time. Go away."

"Now, now," Lupin said, stepping up behind her. "I say when students can or cannot see me, not you. As it is, you said you were done with your questioning."

She scowled. "We are done. I wouldn't want to be around you once the moon comes out anyway," she muttered.

"Snape just brought my potion, as you well know, so I am quite harmless," Lupin said.

"Whatever you say, Wolf-Man," Frost said with a shrug. "Just make sure the little children are safely tucked away in their little beds when you do transform."

"You needn't worry about that," Lupin said.

Frost took one last look at Lupin, then at Harry, Ron, and Hermione before walking out the door, bumping Harry out of the way as she went.

"What a hag," Ron muttered as Lupin stepped aside so that they could enter.

Lupin sighed. "I didn't hear that."

"Sorry, Professor," Ron murmured.

Lupin took out his wand and conjured up some chairs for them to sit in. "So, why have you come to visit me?"

"Ironically enough, the reason just walked out of your office," Harry said as he sat down.

"Frost? What about her?"

"We want to know what you know about her," Harry told him.

Lupin sat back as he frowned at Harry. "Mara Frost is not my favorite subject. She is a bitter person who does not deserve to be discussed at length."

"She hated my mother," Harry said. "I know that she called her a Mudblood, like she did to Hermione."

Lupin looked alarmed. "Frost called Hermione that? When?"

"It was a while ago," Hermione said.

"A few days before Sinead Cassidy was murdered," Harry replied.

"She must have been highly agitated. I've only ever heard of her using that term once before, and that was when I heard her say it about your mother," Lupin said.

"Well, she certainly holds a place in her black heart for my mum, doesn't she?" Harry spat.

"Lily and Frost never got along," Lupin said. "Frost is a horribly jealous person and Lily always seemed to get everything Frost wanted. She-" Suddenly Lupin lurched forward.

"Professor?"

Lupin looked out the window fearfully. Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked out too. The full moon shined through the window as twilight was upon them.

"Something's…wrong!" Lupin gasped. "The potion…it's not…working!" Lupin cried out in agony. "The urge! Run! RUN!"

"We can't leave him in here!" Hermione said. "If his potion's not working, he could escape the room and hurt someone!"

"But if we don't get out of here, he could hurt us!" Ron said.

"We've got no time to lose," Harry said, slinging his bag off of him and pulling out his invisibility cloak. "We should take him to the Shrieking Shack like they did when he was a student." He covered both Lupin and himself with the cloak. "Fight the urge, Professor!"

Lupin's teeth were clenched as he breathed in deeply. "You shouldn't…you should go!"

Hermione ducked underneath the cloak too. "We're helping you, Professor. Come on!"

With a look that said he was going to regret what he was about to do, Ron slipped underneath the cloak too.

"Duck down," Harry ordered, ducking himself. "Now let's go!"

They slid out of Lupin's office and down the corridor. Lupin's breath came out in pants as he continued to try to control his transformation. Harry looked over and noticed that fur was beginning to grow on his hands.

"Move!" he whispered fiercely. "We don't have much time left."

They practically ran down the steps and into the entrance hall before Harry reached out and pulled open the oak front doors, thankful that the hall was deserted. They stepped out and Harry pulled the door closed. Then they continued on their way to the Whomping Willow.

"Somebody grab a long stick," Harry said when they got closer. He pulled the cloak off of them as Ron ducked down and snagged a large branch. Lupin was growling now and when Harry looked into his eyes, he saw that they were not his own. "Ron, toss me the stick and run!"

Ron threw the stick and then grabbed Hermione, pulling her back. Harry then took off, running as fast as he could. Professor Lupin, his clothes tearing, ran after him. The Whomping Willow was getting closer and closer, but so was the man that was now a wolf. Harry lunged forward and jabbed the knot on the tree's trunk with the stick before rolling out of the way as the werewolf jumped at him. With the stick, Harry hit the wolf on the head, causing it to howl in pain. Then he kicked the wolf down into the entrance of the tunnel that led to the Shrieking Shack.

"Fight it, Professor Lupin!" he shouted. "Fight it and run to the Shrieking Shack!" He then backed away before the Whomping Willow became mobile again and ran back to where Ron and Hermione were standing with the invisibility cloak.

"Did he go in?" Hermione asked anxiously.

"I think so," Harry said, trying to catch his breath.

Ron, however, was looking in the direction of the Forbidden Forest. "What are those?" he asked, pointing over to three shadows near the edge of the forest.

Harry looked over and squinted. Hermione looked over too. "Not what," Hermione said. "Who. Those are people."

Harry pulled the Marauder's Map out from his back pocket. "Let's find out who then," he said, taking out his wand before tapping the parchment and saying, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

They peered down at the Map as ink began to outline Hogwarts and its grounds. They found themselves standing near the Whomping Willow and edging into the forest more and more were-

"The midgets!" Ron exclaimed.

Harry scowled as he looked upon the names of Hunter Farrell, Alison Warrick, and Dylan Brown. "Are they stupid?" he growled. "They're going to get themselves killed!" He looked up at Ron and Hermione. "We have to go get them."

Ron groaned. "But it's the Forbidden Forest."

"And we'd stand a better chance in there than three eleven-year-old wizards," Harry snarled. "Let's go."

They ran in the direction in which Hunter, Dylan, and Ally had disappeared into the forest. When Harry noticed that their names had gone off the edge of the map, he frowned before tapping the map with his wand and murmuring, "Mischief managed."

"Lumos," Hermione whispered as they took their first steps into the Forbidden Forest.

"This is not my idea of a good Saturday night," Ron muttered as he too lit his wand.

Harry also lit his. "I don't think we're meant to have good Saturday nights, Ron," he said, hopping over a large tree root.

"How far ahead do you think they've gotten?" Hermione asked.

"They can't have gotten that far," Ron said.

Suddenly, they heard a high-pitched scream. They looked at each other in horror for a split second before taking off, running towards where they heard the scream. Harry dodged tree roots, ducked under low-hanging branches, and then jumped over a log to find three centaurs towering over the quaking forms of Hunter, Dylan, and Ally.

"More humans!" roared a wild-looking black centaur that Harry recognized as Bane. Ron and Hermione had joined him by then and he heard Ron gulp loudly behind him.

"We're terribly sorry," Hermione said, grabbing Ally and Dylan by the shoulders and pulling them backward. "We're so terribly sorry."

A second centaur leaned forward and inspected Hermione closely. "I remember you," he said in a doleful voice that Harry recognized. "You were here not one year ago with that stout human woman, hoping that we would help you drive her away."

Harry then remembered the name of the centaur-Ronan. Bane stamped his front hoof. "We should kill them!"

"No please!" Hermione pleaded. "We didn't mean to enter your forest, but we had to!"

Bane was already drawing his bow and an arrow from his quiver. Hunter backed right up into Harry.

The third centaur, a chestnut-bodied one that Harry recalled to be Magorian, held out his arm to stop Bane. "Why did you have to enter our forest?"

"Because of them," Hermione said, gesturing to Hunter, Dylan, and Ally. "They entered your forest and we had no choice but to go after them."

"Arrogant humans!" snarled Bane.

Harry spoke up then. "They didn't know any better. It is our failure as their mentors that we didn't tell them why they shouldn't enter the forest. They're young," he said, "and you don't attack the young."

"He's right," Ronan said.

Suddenly, all three centaurs turned their heads sharply to the right and sniffed the air. Bane grinned. They then glanced back at each other and nodded.

"You are right, human," Magorian said. "We do not attack the young. They are free to go."

Harry couldn't believe their good fortune. He gave a shaky laugh as all of them turned to leave. "Th-"

"We said the young ones could go," Magorian said sharply. "That doesn't mean you three can."

Then, to Harry's horror, each of them raised their bows and fired two arrows at him, Ron, and Hermione. The arrows snagged each one of them in the sleeves of their shirts with enough force to knock them over and pin them to the forest floor.

Bane stepped forward with a twisted smile on his face. "While we would love to finish you off," he said, "we'll take more pleasure out of having the acromantula that's coming this way ripping you to pieces." Then he trotted away along with Magorian and Ronan.

"We're going to die!" Ron squeaked.

Harry wriggled against the arrows that held him firmly to the ground. "Well, you've got to say one thing about them-they have a fantastic aim." He glanced up and saw that Hunter, Dylan, and Ally were still standing there, shell-shocked. "What are you doing?" he yelled. "Get out of here!"

They seemed to snap out of their reverie. "We can't just leave you here," Hunter said as he ran over to Harry's side and pulled on one of the arrows. "We've got to help you."

Dylan ran over to help Ron while Ally kneeled down next to Hermione. "Know any spells?" she asked her.

"I don't really fancy ripping our shirts," Hermione said, "but your best bet is a Severing Charm."

"Right," Ally murmured, taking out her wand. "Okay."

"Just aim properly. I don't want to have myself exposed," Hermione said.

"Don't worry. I'm really good in Charms," Ally reassured her. She took aim and shouted, "Diffindo!"

Hermione's shirt sleeve tore neatly around the arrow. "Great job! Boys, perform the Severing Charm on Harry and Ron!"

"Just don't chop anything off, okay," Ron said, shutting his eyes tightly and turning his head away from Dylan.

"Diffindo!" both Hunter and Dylan shouted, freeing Harry's right arm and Ron's left.

When Ally had finished freeing Hermione, she jumped up with her wand and quickly performed the spell a second time on Harry and Ron. Just as Harry jumped up, a giant acromantula crashed through the forest.

"Spider!" Ron shrieked. "Giant spider!"

"Run!" Harry yelled, taking aim with his wand and yelling, "Impedimenta!" The spell bounced harmlessly off the huge beast as he ran, grabbing Ally by the arm and pulling her along. As they ran, Harry took aim again and shouted, "Stupefy!" to no avail.

"Jump!" Ally shouted and Harry turned his head in time to see a large dead log. He jumped over it, as did Ally, as they followed behind Ron, Hermione, Hunter, and Dylan.

Harry tried one last thing. Waving his wand at the dead log behind him, he shouted, "Incendio!" The log burst into flames, as did a tree right next to it. The acromantula, which had been in the process of stepping over the log, also caught fire. It rolled onto its back in agony. "Got it!" Harry yelled in triumph.

Ron and Hermione stopped and turned around, followed by Hunter and Dylan. "Harry!" Hermione scolded. "You're going to catch the entire forest on fire!"

"Just hang on," Harry said, watching the acromantula carefully. "I'll put it out."

The fire raged as the giant spider shrieked. Then, when Harry was satisfied that the beast would not be able to get up, he waved his wand and the flames died away. "There," he said, glancing over at his companions.

Hermione sighed. "Come on," she said. "Let's get out of here."

"I don't ever want to experience a night like this again," Ron said.

Hermione looked over at the three first years. "So, now do you understand why Dumbledore advises us against going into the Forbidden Forest?"

All three of them nodded. "You aren't going to give us detention, are you?" Dylan asked.

"They did save our lives," Harry murmured.

"Yes, they did," Hermione said. "No, I think you learned your lesson. A detention is not necessary."

They were reaching the edge of the forest when Harry heard a growling sound. He held his wand up high and looked around.

"What is it, mate?" Ron asked.

"Something's out there," Harry murmured.

"Not again," Dylan groaned.

Harry scanned the area around them as the growling grew louder.

"It sounds like a…dog," Ally said.

"That's no dog," Harry said, backing up as he saw the silhouette of a large dog-like creature approaching. He recognized the tail. "That's a werewolf."

"Oh no," Hermione breathed, "Professor Lupin!"

"What!" Dylan hissed.

"I guess he didn't get down to the Shrieking Shack-RUN!" Harry yelled.

They turned and ran as fast as they could, Harry bringing up the rear. When he turned to look back, he tripped over a tree root just as the werewolf pounced-and landed right on top of him, sinking his claws into Harry's side.

"ARGH!" Harry yelled, punching the werewolf right across the snout in an attempt to keep it from biting him.

Suddenly there was an even louder roar coming from right above Harry.

"Sweet mother of Merlin!" he heard Dylan yell. "A giant!"

"Grawp!" Hermione yelled. "Help Harry!"

Harry could see the huge form of Grawp now as he learned forward and said, "Hermy?"

"Yes! Yes! It's Hermy! Grawp-help Harry!" Hermione shouted frantically, pointing at Harry and the werewolf. "Get the wolf off Harry!"

The werewolf bared its teeth at Harry and he had a horrible feeling that this was the end for him when suddenly, Grawp reached over and picked the wolf off of him, but not before the wolf dug in deeper into Harry's skin. He cried out in agony as the wolf's claws ripped up his body as Grawp pulled it off.

"Good Grawp, good!" Hermione said, casting her eyes fearfully at Harry. "Now, put the wolf down."

Grawp sniffed the werewolf. It swiped its claws at him.

"Grawp! Put Professor Lupin down!" she yelled as she and Ron rushed forward to help Harry up. "Let him go!"

Grawp eventually put him down and then decided it would be fun to chase the werewolf. They both ran away, leaving Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the three first years alone.

"Come on," Hermione said as she and Ron wrapped Harry's arms around their shoulders. "We should take him to Hagrid's hut. He's the closest."

They headed out of the Forbidden Forest in silence. Harry walked along slowly with the aid of Ron and Hermione. The pain was unbearable. The only thing that could compare was the time that the Cruciatus Curse had been performed on him. Professor Lupin had some very lethal claws.

Harry looked down at his torso and immediately groaned. His shirt was a torn and bloody mess.

"Will he be okay?" Ally asked anxiously, breaking the silence.

"I don't know," Hermione said sharply, giving the three first years a furtive glance. "The sooner we get him to Hagrid's, the better."

"We're really sorry about this, Harry," Dylan said imploringly.

"You nearly got us killed by centaurs, a giant spider, and a werewolf!" Ron howled, shifting his weight to support Harry even more.

"Thank goodness Grawp came along," Harry said weakly. "He saved us once again."

"If you could call what he did last time 'saving,' " Hermione muttered.

"I really can see why you didn't want us to go into the forest," Ally said quietly.

"It just seemed like a cool adventure," Dylan said, frowning.

"We're really sorry," Hunter said.

"At least you've learned your lesson," Ron said scathingly.

They reached Hagrid's hut and pounded on the door. "Er-Hullo? Sweet mother of Merlin!" Hagrid exclaimed when he opened the door and saw Harry. "What are you lot doin' out this late? What happened?"

"Something was wrong with Lupin's potion and he went crazy," Ron said, helping Harry inside before Hagrid grabbed him and hefted him over to his oversized bed.

"We'll explain as we go along," Hermione promised. "Hagrid, do you have any dragon's blood?"

"Er-yeah. Let me go get yeh some. How'd they get here?" he asked, pointing to Hunter, Dylan, and Ally.

"We saw them sneaking off into the Forbidden Forest after we tried to help Lupin get to the Shrieking Shack," Ron explained. "We tore off after them and ran into some of those centaurs."

"They were debating whether or not to kill us all!" Dylan exclaimed.

"Then they shoot me, Harry, and Hermione in the sleeves and pin us to the ground as a huge spider comes our way," Ron said while Hagrid rummaged around. "Those three help us and then Harry fries the sucker. Then, as we're getting near the edge of the forest, we find out Lupin's escaped. He got Harry badly. Then Grawp came and chased him away."

"Grawpy? Oh no…he must be all riled up. This is bad," Hagrid said, handing two big, bloody dragon steaks to Hermione. "I've got ter go calm him down." He handed over some gauze and Spellotape to Hermione too. "Take care of 'im, you lot. I'll be back."

"This has been our worst trip into the Forbidden Forest," Ron murmured when Hagrid left, Fang at his heels.

"Indeed it has. Ron, take these three back up to Hogwarts under the invisibility cloak, grab an extra shirt for Harry, and come back," Hermione ordered.

"Why another shirt?"

"Because," she said, grabbing Harry's shirt by the collar and ripping it clean down the center, exposing his wounded torso, "this one's useless."

The other four stood there, dumbfounded, for a moment before Ron came to his senses and said, "Alright, let's go! Underneath the invisibility cloak." The three quickly rushed underneath it and soon, with Ron underneath it as well, they were gone.

Hermione took the dragon steaks and placed them gently on Harry after warning him, "This may sting a little."

Actually, it stung quite a lot, but Harry held back his grimace. "Do you know enough about first aid or am I going to have to go to Madam Pomfrey?"

"I think I can fix you up," Hermione said. Her eyes showed that she knew just as well as Harry why he couldn't go see Madam Pomfrey. They would be in far too much trouble if they did.

"So I take it one of the twelve properties of dragon's blood is healing powers," Harry said as she pressed the dragon steaks more firmly onto his torso.

"Yes," she replied, looking up at his face. "I'm not hurting you, am I?"

"Do you want an honest answer to that?" he asked, gasping as pain shot up his body.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, and he could tell that she truly meant it.

"What I wouldn't give to have Fawkes here right now, crying on me," Harry said.

She reached up and brushed away the bangs that were starting to obscure his vision. "I wish he was here too. It would be a lot less painful."

"It works faster than dragon's blood too," Harry murmured.

"I know." She leaned down and picked up the end of one of the dragon steaks. "Your bleeding has slowed. I think I can try wrapping you up now."

"Okay."

"I need you to sit up though," she said. "Here, hold onto the steaks." When he did so, she grabbed his arms and helped pull him into a sitting position. "Let me go get the gauze now."

He swung his legs over the side of the bed, feeling the weight of the Snitch pendant she had given him for his birthday slide with his movement. She returned with the gauze and Spellotape, dragging a chair from Hagrid's table along with her.

"Time to take those steaks off," she said and peeled them away. Harry looked down at his wounds-they weren't as bad as he thought they were. "Arms up, please," she said, unrolling a piece of the gauze and placing it on his wound. The dragon's blood helped it stick.

He lifted his arms up and she began to wrap the gauze around his torso. "You're very gentle with that," he commented as she continued to lean towards him and then back as she wrapped the gauze around him.

"Thanks," she said with a small smile as she wrapped the final section of gauze and tucked it in before grabbing the Spellotape. "This won't be as gentle though."

"That's okay," he said, and stared down at the tape. "Who uses Spellotape on wounds anyway?"

She laughed. "People who don't have any other options," she replied and began to tape the gauze to his body.

He grinned. When she finished up, he lowered his arms and took her hands in his. "Thank you," he murmured, the grin still on his face.

"You're quite welcome," she said, looking into his eyes as he slowly leaned in.

The door banged open and they jerked apart. "Got the shirt," Ron announced, pulling the invisibility cloak off of him.

"Good," Hermione said, getting up. "I'll let you help him get it on."

She walked over to Hagrid's table and sat down in another chair as Ron walked over with Harry's shirt. "Here you are, mate," he said, helping Harry pull it over his head. "How are you feeling?"

"Like hell, but not as bad as before, thanks to Hermione," he added, glancing over her way with a grin.

"Good. I reckon now that Harry's got a shirt on, we should sneak back into Hogwarts," Ron said. "It's way past curfew."

"Do you think you can make it, Harry?" Hermione asked him.

He nodded. "Maybe with a little help though."

"No problem, mate," Ron said.

Hermione nodded slowly. "Okay. Let me just write a note to Hagrid telling him that you're okay and we'll get going."

Hermione quickly found a piece of parchment and a quill before scribbling down a note for Hagrid. Then, underneath the invisibility cloak with his arms around the shoulders of his best friends, Harry, Ron, and Hermione made their way back up to the Gryffindor Tower where Harry planned to stay so that he could rest.