Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Again, I've been able to update much faster than I previously thought. The funny thing is, I've had a small case of writer's block too. Thanks again for reviewing everyone and a big thanks to Jessica, who is the only person I allowed to read this chapter before publishing it. Hopefully she and I have caught all of the typos; if not, well, c'est la vie! Enjoy!

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY RETURNS

October came with a flurry of cold weather as autumn settled over the Hogwarts grounds. Harry spent most of the time in class, doing his homework, or out on the Quidditch pitch, training the team as best as he could.

On one particular rainy day, Andrew Kirke flew up beside Harry and muttered, "Why are we practicing today? It's pouring and it's cold!"

"Because," Harry replied, "you may have to play in these conditions. We wouldn't want to lose just because we can't play in the rain."

Kirke grumbled, but that was the last complaint Harry heard out of him.

A few days later, Professor Lupin approached Harry after class. "I've been hearing these rumors out of a few students saying that you started a secret Defense club last year and actually taught them a thing or two about jinxes and such. Is this true?" he asked.

Harry shifted uncomfortably. "Yeah. It was all Hermione's idea really."

Lupin grinned. "Well, I did hear all about that lovely Professor Umbridge person. It's no wonder you took matters into your own hands. I heard you had a very interesting name for the group too."

"What? The D.A.?" Harry asked, puzzled.

"Yes. Dumbledore's Army," Lupin said, amusement prevalent in his voice. "I can only imagine how upset the 'High Inquisitor' was to hear about that."

Harry grinned. "She was pretty livid."

Lupin laughed. "So why haven't you been holding meetings this year?" he asked.

"Well," Harry began. "Well, because we have you now. You actually teach."

Lupin smiled. "While I'm flattered that you think so highly of me, Harry, I think it would be an excellent idea if you started the D.A. again. I'm sure with Professor Dumbledore's approval it could become a legal club."

"But, sir-"

"I am most anxious to see you teach them, Harry," Lupin told him. "Rumors are that you're an excellent teacher yourself."

Back in the common room, Harry told Ron and Hermione of this.

"So he wants you to start the D.A. back up again?" Ron asked, a grin on his face. "Wicked."

"No, not wicked," Harry muttered. "What's the point really? I taught you all enough last year."

"But you could teach more people," Hermione pointed out. "With your help they won't be weak or defenseless."

"And if it's a legal club we won't need the Room of Requirement anymore," Ron added. "We could hold it in a classroom or something."

Harry sighed. "Fine. When?"

"How about Halloween?" Hermione suggested. "That should give it enough time for the word to spread and to get people interested."

Harry only wondered exactly what he was getting himself into.

*****

A week later, a note was pinned to the notice board announcing the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year.

"Great, I can stock up on candy before Halloween," Ron said enthusiastically. "Plus I can't wait to get my hands on some butterbeer."

"I'm just looking forward to a little change in scenery," Hermione commented as she scribbled furiously on a roll of parchment.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked.

"I'm writing a letter," Hermione muttered distractedly.

"To whom?"

"Viktor."

Ron went red. "Why are you writing a letter to him?"

She glared at him. "It's really none of your business."

Ron's eyebrow shot up and he turned to Harry, who only shrugged and tried to change subjects. "Anyway, about Hogsmeade…"

*****

That weekend they queued up near the oak front doors as Filch checked off the names of the students as they passed. As Harry passed with Ron and Hermione, Filch scowled at him and checked off his name.

Once out the door, they headed with the other students third year and up towards the village of Hogsmeade, the only all-wizard village in Britain. Harry found Hogsmeade a rather wonderful place; it was safe and friendly.

The first place they went when they entered the village was the local candy shop, Honeydukes. Many of the Hogwarts students, all in their black cloaks, were already huddled inside, scouring the shelves for the items that they desired. Harry picked up three boxes of Every Flavor Beans for Ron, Hermione, and himself. Afterwards, they set out again, looking at all the shops.

"Oh look!" said Hermione, walking quickly over to a shop with a hanging sign above the door that read "Antiques."

"A junk shop," Ron commented.

"It's not junk," Hermione said. "Let's go in."

Harry shrugged and followed her inside, followed by a sighing Ron. Inside were numerous items that looked extremely old. Harry was pretty sure that Ron's assessment of the shop was correct.

Hermione, however, seemed fascinated. She wandered around the store looking at all of the odds and ends. One moment she was checking out an odd-looking snow globe, the next, a kerosene lamp whose flame was a bright purple.

"Hey Harry," called Ron. "Come and look at this!"

Harry walked over to where Ron stood and found himself standing before a rather lethal-looking axe. It reminded Harry strongly of the axe the Ministry's executioner, Macnair, was going to use to kill Buckbeak the hippogriff.

"I suppose not everything in here is junk. Eh, but I'm not sticking around here any longer. I'm going outside. Go drag Hermione away from this old stuff and we can head to the Three Broomsticks," Ron said and turned, heading towards the door.

Harry shook his head and started searching through the store, looking for Hermione. As he walked around, he noticed a display case with an assortment of jewelry inside. As he peered inside one item caught his interest. It was a ring that looked remarkably like the class rings he had seen some Muggles wear.

"Like the ring, do you?" said a raspy voice from behind him, causing him to jump.

An old man stood behind him with thin wisps of white hair on his nearly bald head and when he laughed, Harry noticed several of his teeth were missing. "Sorry, sonny, I didn't mean to scare you. The name's Ludwig Taylor," he said, holding out his hand. "I own the place."

Harry shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm-"

"Oh, I know who you are," the old man said with another smile. "Harry Potter. It's a pleasure to meet you. So, do you like the ring?"

"Er-yeah, it looks nice," Harry replied.

"I make them. They can be engraved with anything you want," he told Harry.

"Nice," Harry said with a small grin. "Er-if you could excuse me, sir…I have to find my friend."

"Of course. You have a good day, Mr. Potter," the man said with a smile.

"Er-thanks," Harry said with another small smile and then went in search of Hermione again.

He found her standing in an aisle between two large shelves, looking at a small box, which was open and planning music. Harry glances at the box, decorated with musical notes, and then looked at Hermione, who looked quite sad.

"Hermione?" he asked tentatively as he approached her.

She turned her head slightly to face him and gave him a melancholy smile. "Hello, Harry," she murmured.

"What's wrong?" he asked her.

"Do you hear the music it's playing?" she asked quietly.

"Yes..." he said, wondering where this was leading.

"My grandma used to sing that song to me when I was little," she replied.

Harry turned back to the music box and listened to the song closely. He didn't recognize it, but he thought it was pretty just the same.

Frowning slightly, he turned back to her and said, "Ron's waiting for us outside. He'd like to go to the Three Broomsticks."

She sighed. "Okay," she murmured and with Harry, walked away from the box and out of the shop, where Ron was standing against a wall, waiting.

"What took you so long?" he asked. "Come on, let's go."

The three of them walked down the street to the Three Broomsticks and as they opened the doors, they came face-to-face with the much loathed Rita Skeeter.

"Well, well, well, hello Harry, Hermione, and…friend." Ron scowled. "How are you this fine day?"

"We were enjoying it," Hermione muttered.

Rita scowled at her. "Harry, do you feel up to an interview? The Prophet would love to get an article on you."

"So you've got your job back, do you?" Harry asked. "No thanks, Rita."

Rita scowled again. "Yes, I do have my job back."

"Thanks to Harry," Hermione added.

"You know, Miss Perfect, I am so happy our little year-long agreement is up," Rita spat.

"Oh, yes, go make up some garbage about Harry or myself. Most people won't believe you anymore," Hermione replied.

"But it would give us all something to laugh at," said Draco Malfoy, who was standing behind Rita now with Crabbe and Pansy Parkinson.

Rita smile appreciatively at Malfoy. "How about an interview with you, Draco, on Harry here."

Malfoy frowned. "Why would I want to do an article all about Potter?" he spat.

Rita raised an eyebrow. "Come on, Draco," Pansy muttered beside him. "Let's go. See you, Rita!"

Rita turned back to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. "Well, I'll just let you three get back to your day. Owl me Harry if you reconsider the interview." With that, she turned and left.

Hermione rolled her eyes and pushed open the door to the Three Broomsticks. "Honestly!" she was muttering.

They each bought themselves a butterbeer and then settled themselves around a table towards the back of the pub. Not too far away from them, Ginny was sitting with Justin Finch-Fletchley.

"What the bloody hell is going on over there?" Ron wondered.

"Hmm?" Hermione followed his gaze and grinned. "Oh, Justin asked Ginny out on a date last week."

"WHAT!" Ron bellowed, causing many in the pub to turn and stare at him. His face turned a bright red and he muttered an apology. "What do you mean, Hermione?" he asked in a fierce whisper.

"Just what I said," Hermione replied back calmly. "Justin asked her out. Honestly, you act like the world has ended."

"She's my baby sister!" Ron growled.

"And she's fifteen years old," Hermione said sternly. "She doesn't need you breathing down her neck."

Harry glanced over at the table Ginny and Justin were sitting at and he noticed Justin shoot a nervous glance over at Ron. Harry had to give Justin some credit; he knew when to be scared. Harry wondered how worse it would have been if Fred and George were still around.

As they sat and guzzled down butterbeer, talking about various subjects to amuse themselves, Harry continuously felt someone's gaze on the table. He glanced over at Justin, but he was listening to something Ginny was saying and not paying attention to Harry's table at all. Searching around the pub, Harry finally saw who was staring: Luna Lovegood. But she wasn't staring at Harry; she was staring at Ron.

"Don't look, Ron," Harry murmured.

"Don't look? Don't look where?" Naturally, he looked up and caught Luna's eye. Turning red once again, he quickly looked back down. "Gee, thanks, Harry."

Hermione looked over at Luna for a moment, seemed to consider her, and then turned back to Harry and Ron with a grin on her face.

"What are you smiling about?" Ron muttered.

"Oh, nothing," Hermione replied. "At least, nothing you want to hear."

Ron gave her a funny look. "What?"

Hermione just simply shook her head. "You'll have to figure it out for yourself. I could always be wrong…"

"Ha!" Ron muttered. "You're never wrong."

Hermione grinned at this comment and finished up the last of her butterbeer. "Come on, let's go do something else," she said, getting up from the table. Harry and Ron quickly downed their drinks and followed her.

*****

The Monday after their Hogsmeade weekend, Harry noticed flyers around Hogwarts inviting everyone to attend the first D.A. meeting of the year on Halloween.

"Who made these?" Harry asked, showing one to Ron and Hermione.

"Oh…er-I did," Hermione said meekly.

"Hermione!" he exclaimed.

"The whole point of having the D.A. this year is to teach more people, Harry," she explained calmly. "How can you teach more people when they don't know about it?"

He scowled and glanced back down at the flyer. "Before the feast, eh?"

"Yes. And Professor Lupin has donated his classroom. He says he'll be there to watch, too," Hermione told him.

"He will?" Ron asked, looking quite taken aback. "You hear that, Harry? Lupin's going to come and see you teach!"

Harry, if anything, felt rather queasy. But by the next day, he felt, if possible, even worse.

"A Defense Club taught by you, Potter?" Malfoy sneered in Potions. "That's not legal."

"Professor Lupin will be there," Hermione retorted. "It's perfectly legal. You can ask Professor Dumbledore yourself."

"Silence, Miss Granger! Ten points from Gryffindor!" Snape snapped. "Now, get back to work on your stamina potion!"

Quidditch practice seemed even worse.

"It sounds cool," Andrew Kirke was saying.

"Yeah, it does," agreed his fellow Beater Alex McGuire. "And you teach it, Harry?"

"He sure does," Ron said, grinning. Ron found the whole thing quite amusing.

"I'm there," Alex said.

"Me too," Andrew replied.

"Ally, Dylan, and Laura think it would be interesting too," said Hunter quietly from next to Ginny.

"Laura?" Harry wondered.

"Laura MacKenzie," Hunter muttered. "She and Ally are becoming good friends."

"Ah," Harry replied.

*****

By Halloween, Harry heard about several people who were interested. All of the former D.A. members assured Harry that they would be coming back; all except Cho and her friend Marietta.

His Herbology class went by in a blur. He remembered something about pruning some oddly shaped fichus that kept emitting a foul odor, making everyone in the class gag and run out of the greenhouse once the bell rang for some fresh air.

After lunch, Professor Lupin gave a particularly interesting class, showing them all an ashwinder, which was a thin, gray serpent with glowing red eyes. The serpent was laying fiery hot eggs near a shadowed corner in Lupin's class.

"Professor Snape will be very pleased to have these," Lupin told them. "They can be used as ingredients for potions."

After the snake was done laying eggs, Lupin quickly tossed the serpent back into a magical fire and asked for a two page essay on them.

"To be handed in on Monday," he said as the class exited the room.

Up in the common room, Harry sat down on the sofa and stared into the fire, thinking about what was going to happen at the D.A. meeting. How many people were going to show up? How many of them actually wanted to learn how to defend themselves? Could Harry even teach them all?

"You'll be fine," Hermione murmured to him from the armchair she was sitting in. She had a book lying open on the arm next to her while she studied him thoughtfully.

"Yeah, I'm sure I will be," Harry said, although he really didn't feel he would be at the moment. His stomach was doing flip-flops and he wished he had never eaten those pasties during lunch.

"Besides," Hermione went on, giving him a rather penetrating look, "once it's all over we can go to the feast, and that's always fun."

"Yeah," Harry murmured.

The time to go back to Professor Lupin's room came quickly. Harry hated how fast time could fly when you didn't want it to. It was rather annoying.

As he, Ron, and Hermione traveled down the corridors, they spotted Nearly Headless Nick floating along ahead.

"Hey Nick!" Harry called.

Nick turned and smiled. "Well, hello, Harry! Hello, Ron, Hermione! How are you?"

"Fine. How are you?" Harry asked.

"Wonderful. I'm looking forward to my party tonight," he said, pulling his ruffled collar high up his partially severed neck.

"Ah, that's right. Today's your deathday," Harry said, making Nick beam.

"Indeed it is, and I'm hoping to get my Headless Hunt letter tonight too, considering Podmore has been sacked," he told them, looking absolutely delighted. "Well, I'll let you three run along. I hear Harry here is going to be running some sort of club. I'm sure it will be fun."

Harry chuckled nervously. "Yeah, thanks, Nick."

"Of course," he said and floated away, humming.

"I've never seen him look so cheerful in all my life," Ron muttered to Harry and Hermione as they continued on their way to Lupin's class.

By the time they made it, several people were already inside the classroom, talking. A buzz of excitement filled the air as Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered the room and Harry tried to pay little attention to it. Instead he searched for Lupin, who was standing in a corner in the front of the room. Harry immediately approached him.

"Professor," he said, looking around at the people in the room nervously.

"Hello, Harry. All ready?" Lupin asked, a smile forming on his face.

Harry continued to look around. "Are all these people here to learn from me?" he asked, staring as more and more people entered the classroom.

"Apparently. I'm looking forward to seeing you teach," Lupin said. "I won't be interfering."

That made Harry feel, if possible, more nervous. "Er-okay."

"Harry!" Hermione said, rushing over. "We're ready to begin."

He sighed and nodded. Hermione ran back and joined the crowd as Harry slowly made his way towards the head of the classroom.

"Oh, and Harry?" Lupin called.

He turned back. "Yes?"

"Here," he replied, tossing something silver Harry's way.

Harry caught it and looked down to see a whistle. He grinned. "Thanks," he murmured. Looking back at the crowd, he placed the whistle to his lips and blew loudly, silencing everyone.

"Erm-hello," he said to all of the faces now looking at him. "Well, er, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Harry Potter and last year, er, my friends and I started a little group called Dumbledore's Army, or D.A. for short, to help people to learn how to defend themselves.

"The group did very well last year. I am proud of their accomplishments. Each and every one of them learned a great deal about how to defend themselves. I'm hoping that you all want the same thing. I'm hoping that you want to learn how to defend yourselves from the darkness that is out there. Believe me, I know it's out there.

"I don't ask for much. I only ask that you listen, pay attention, and try. Don't be afraid to fail on your first, second, or even third try. Within time, with a little patience, you'll get it." He stared out at them all as they listened in rapt silence.

"Now then, I think a good place to start is the Disarming Spell. So, if you would all-"

"You've got to be kidding!" came a drawling voice from the back of the room. "The Disarming Spell? That's a first year spell, that is!"

Malfoy stepped up through the crowd and sneered at Harry. "I thought you taught important jinxes and such, Potter. Then again, I think a chimpanzee would teach this lot better than you."

"Do you really think so, Malfoy?" Harry said, irritated.

"Yeah. I bet I could take you on easy," Malfoy muttered.

Harry frowned. "Well then, why don't we give them a show?" he said, gesturing to the crowd. "Come on then."

The gathering started to shuffle backwards as Malfoy stepped forward and both he and Harry took out their wands. They stood across from each other and raised their wands high. Harry waited for Malfoy to strike.

He didn't have to wait long. Malfoy waved his wand and shouted, "Conjunctiva!"

"Protego!" Harry shouted, and was very glad he did so. He knew that Malfoy would have won easily if he had managed to perform the Conjunctivitis Curse on him.

Malfoy attacked again, this time using a Banishing Charm. Harry dodged out of the way and cast a perfect Jelly-Legs Jinx on him, causing Malfoy to topple over.

"Locomotor Mortis!" Malfoy roared from his place on the floor.

Harry's legs snapped together. If he tried to move, he would surely fall, so he stood his ground as Malfoy tried to stand on his wobbly legs.

Malfoy turned towards Harry, his wand held high. Harry knew he thought that he had won. Harry knew he could use this to his advantage.

A smirk came over Malfoy's face. "Stup-"

"Expelliarmus!" Harry cried with a wave of his wand and Malfoy's wand went flying. Harry then pointed his wand at himself, muttered, "Finite Incantatem," and then pointed his wand at Malfoy, who was trying to run for his wand, his legs trying to move in the opposite direction. "Don't move," Harry growled.

Malfoy stopped, but his legs gave way and he fell flat on his face, causing the crowd to erupt in laughter.

"And there you have it," Harry announced to the crowd, "a Disarming Spell. Very useful."

They all clapped and cheered, sounding thoroughly excited. Harry couldn't help but grin. Malfoy hauled himself up on his wobbly legs as Crabbe and Goyle grabbed him by the shoulders and helped him out of the room, Pansy Parkinson following along behind them carrying his wand, all the while scowling at Harry.

"So, the Disarming Spell…" Harry went on, "it's 'expelliarmus.' Say that one time, would you?"

"Expelliarmus," the group chanted.

"Great. So, if you all could grab a partner, we'll practice the Disarming Spell. Er-if my fellow D.A. members could possibly help the others," Harry said, looking over at Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and the others, "I would greatly appreciate it."

The crowd started moving around and pairing up. Once they did, Harry began to walk around, watching people as they disarmed their partners. He corrected several as he went and he watched as the other D.A. members helped out the newcomers.

"Hey Harry!" called Dylan Brown, who was paired with Hunter. "Watch this! Expelliarmus!" Hunter's wand flew out of his hand and clattered to the floor.

"Very good, Dylan," Harry commented and moved on.

By the end of the session, many had perfected the Disarming Spell, which pleased Harry. He couldn't help but grin as he addressed the group again.

"That was really good," he said, watching as several people beamed in pride. "Next time, we'll learn a few jinxes and such. Now," he murmured as he checked his watch, "it's almost time for the Halloween feast, so let's get going."

Everyone started to shuffle out of the classroom, all of them talking. Lupin stepped up next to Harry and grinned. "Excellent, Harry, excellent. Couldn't have done it better myself."

"Thanks, Professor," Harry muttered sheepishly.

"Great job today, Harry," Hermione told him as she and Ron stepped up next to him and Professor Lupin. "You can tell that they really learned something today. You might get a bigger assembly next time."

Harry's eyes went wide and Ron laughed. "C'mon, Harry, let's get down to the Great Hall and grab some food. I'm sure the house-elves have prepared loads-just kidding Hermione!" he added, chuckling at the look she gave him.

"See you at the feast, Professor," Hermione said as she followed both Harry and Ron out the door.

The Great Hall, as usual for the Halloween feast, was decorated in its usual live bats and floating jack-o-lanterns. Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat down at their usual spots and waited for the feast to begin. Not long after, Lupin walked in, talking to Kingsley. Harry noticed Crow rush in about a minute after. He looked up to the staff table. Everyone was seated and talking with one another; everyone except the third Auror, Mara Frost. Harry wondered where she was.

A moment later the golden plates around them all filled with food that made Harry's mouth water. He and Ron started to dish up immediately, talking about Harry and Malfoy's duel.

"He looked rather pink when Crabbe and Goyle hauled him out," Ron said and bit into a piece of chicken.

"Yeah, that was pretty good, Harry," Hermione said, buttering a roll.

Harry grinned and noticed the scowling form of Mara Frost enter the Great Hall, striding up to the staff table and muttering something to Dumbledore before sitting down between Kingsley and Crow.

"So what are you planning on doing for the next meeting?" Ron asked.

"The Impediment Jinx, I think," Harry replied, going back to his meal.

"Great! I love that one," Ron said with a grin.

"Maybe the Leg-Locker Curse and Jelly-Legs Jinx too, seeing as they'll probably want to know how to do those after seeing Malfoy and I use them," Harry muttered.

Ginny scooted down next to Hermione and said, "Hey, I've just been talking to some forth years and they think the D.A. is awesome. Within time I really do think we will be an army."

"Good," Hermione murmured.

"Justin's happy that we're back," Ginny went on.

"Speaking of Justin," Ron said, eyeing his sister. "When did this start? Aren't you still getting over Dean, who I still have no idea why you broke up with?"

Ginny scowled. "I am over Dean, and the reason why we broke up is that he just requires too much attention. He wanted me to consider him the center of my universe."

"Really?" Harry asked. "That doesn't sound like Dean."

Ginny turned that scowl towards Harry. "Then you apparently don't know him," she muttered and scooted away.

Hermione sighed. "Nice going you two."

Ron shrugged and shoveled another forkful of food into his mouth while Harry frowned. He hadn't meant to get Ginny even more upset, he just found it hard to believe.

After the feast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione left the Great Hall and went up the marble staircase. As they walked up the stairs, they ran into Luna Lovegood, who smiled at each of them.

"Hello, Ronald. Hello, Harry, Hermione," she said. "Have a nice time at the feast?"

"Er-yeah," Harry replied as they headed up another flight of steps and stepped into a puddle of water.

"What the…" Ron murmured, turning back to Harry, Hermione, and Luna. "What do you suppose…?"

"Let's go check it out," Harry said, heading down the second floor corridor.

The other three followed him as he walked down the hall, which got progressively more flooded as they traveled through it. Eventually, they ended up in front of a door that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had avoided for the past four years.

"Moaning Myrtle," Ron groaned.

"You know about Myrtle?" Luna asked, looking as though the water on the floor was perfectly normal.

"Er-yeah, we've met her," Ron muttered.

"Do you think we should see why she's flooding the bathroom?" Harry asked.

Luna turned to him. "That's a girls' bathroom."

Ron shrugged. "Yeah, so?"

"Come on," Harry said, making up his mind.

He opened the door and walked into a nightmare.

Water was everywhere, as was blood. It drenched the walls and the floors and gave the bathroom a foul smelling odor. One of death.

And in the middle of the floor was the small dead body of a girl. Hermione gasped.

"Bloody hell," Ron murmured, and his assessment wasn't too far off.

Harry rushed over to the body and kneeled down, staring into the face of the girl that no longer lived. He saw a gash in her robes. "Dear God," he whispered and turned back to Ron, Hermione, and Luna, who, for once, had a look of shock on her face. "Go get help!" he yelled.

Both Ron and Luna turned around and ran, while Hermione stepped forward cautiously. "What-"

"I think she was stabbed," Harry murmured, feeling quite sick to his stomach now, but he didn't dare move.

"Oh my God," she breathed.

"Do you recognize her?" Harry asked.

"No," she replied.

"Her name was June Winters," said a moping voice from above them. Looking up, Harry and Hermione saw Moaning Myrtle floating above them. "She was a first year who used my toilet once. Funny name, isn't it? June Winters."

"Myrtle, did you see what happened?" Harry asked quickly.

Myrtle floated down next to him. "No, I was at Nearly Headless Nick's deathday party. Peeves played a cruel joke on me and I came back here to find her like that," she said, pointing at the body.

At that moment, Professors McGonagall and Snape ran through the door, accompanied by Ron and Luna. Professor McGonagall shrieked when she saw the body.

"Oh my heavens! What…how…explain!" she snapped.

"The corridor was flooded," Hermione told her. "We came to see what was wrong."

Snape sneered. "And you two," he said, looking at Harry and Ron, "decided it was okay to walk into a girls' lavatory?"

"Aren't you glad we did?" Harry retorted.

Snape scowled, but before he could say anything, Professor McGonagall said, "We must inform Professor Sprout so that she may inform Miss Winters' family. Oh, how did this happen?"

"I think she may have been stabbed, Professor," Harry told her. "Look at the gash in her robes."

McGonagall cringed. "All of you, I want you to go back to your common rooms now, and don't speak a word of this, do you understand?"

"Yes, Professor," they all replied.

"Good, now off you go."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Luna walked out of the bathroom and down the hall, not saying anything. It wasn't until Luna was about to part ways with them did she say, "Something very wrong is happening here."

Once they reached Gryffindor Tower Ron asked, "Who do you think did it?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't know."