Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Once again I am updating. Writing frenzies are fun, I tell you. Lack of sleep isn't, but hey, that's the sacrifice I'm willing to make to have some HP fun. We are truly getting to the end, as you'll start to see now. You all have been very patient about how I've written H/Hr in this fic and I can only ask you to please be patient a little longer. I promise you that Harry and Hermione will share another kiss…maybe even more than one. Just sit tight and enjoy. Nitya, as always, thank you so much. Sorry I've driven you nuts, what with the teasing and dumping all of these chapters on you right at the end. I've said it once and I'll say it again, you're an angel. Thank you everyone for your wonderful reviews. It's actually scary to know that this fic is approaching the 1000 review mark. I never expected that, so I truly do thank you.

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED

It was decided between the three of them that, for the time being, they would remain quiet about their discovery until the opportune moment presented itself. Otherwise, they risked getting into trouble for not only breaking curfew, but for also disturbing a crime scene. If that happened, Hermione had reminded them, it was more than likely that their evidence would be disregarded.

In the meantime, Hermione wrote up study schedules for both Harry and Ron. Harry couldn't believe that exams were upon them so quickly. Ron obviously couldn't either.

"In about a week's time we'll be sitting in all of our classes, writing what we think the answer is," he groaned. "The good news is, these aren't O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s."

Harry nodded his head in agreement. He had already set it up with Hermione to have more tutoring sessions on both Wednesdays and Fridays. He also asked her to quiz him at random to make sure he knew everything he possibly could.

"How many times a day do you have to water an aiquamur?" she asked him at dinner one night.

He thought about it for a moment. Then he replied, "You don't-it's an aquatic plant."

"Good," she said, nodding in approval.

Ron looked dumbfounded. "It is?"

"Sounds like you need to study some more," Hermione commented.

"Yeah, yeah," Ron muttered.

Another time, before Charms, Hermione had asked him, "What's the difference between a lethifold and a nundu?"

"Well there are lots of differences," Harry replied and then launched into a full-scale explanation, leaving Hermione grinning when he was finished.

"If either Hagrid or Lupin asks that question on their exam, you're sure to nail it," she said.

Then, after an Herbology class, she asked, "What's the hardest thing about human transfiguration?"

He considered this. "Concentration. You have to concentrate in order to pull off the transfiguration completely."

"Now there's something I knew," Ron said.

"What else do you know, Ron?" Hermione asked.

"That if you're not careful, the transformation could be permanent," he replied, earning an approving glance from Hermione.

"I'm starting to think that I really don't need to be that concerned about you two," she said.

"You were concerned in the first place?" Harry asked.

"Always am."

Ron laughed at that. "What, are we too stupid for Hogwarts?"

Hermione went crimson. "No! I didn't mean it like that!"

"Of course not," Ron said, patting her shoulder. "We've definitely got more brains than Crabbe and Goyle, and they've stayed here for nearly six years now."

"You and Harry are very clever when you want to be," Hermione said. "It's just that you really don't apply yourselves, which is what makes me nervous."

"For what it's worth," Harry said, "I am applying myself now."

"And look at how much you've improved," Hermione said. "But I still worry."

"That's because you're a worrywart," Ron said, grinning. "You worry about everything."

"That's my job," she replied simply, "because you two don't worry at all."

"That's not true," Harry said. "I worry a lot too, but not about homework."

He saw her eyes widen as she realized exactly what he had meant. "Oh, I'm sorry! Of course you've got enough to worry about. Considering that, school's not as important."

Ron stopped dead in his tracks. "Whoa-wait, repeat that, please."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You're not the one who has a prophecy on his mind."

"Who says? That prophecy is about my best mate. I'm as worried for him as you are," Ron said.

"You two are talking as if I'm not here," Harry said.

Hermione frowned. "We know you're here, Harry," she said quietly. "And we hope that you'll be here with us for long after."

"Maybe if I get lucky again, I will be," he replied.

A slow smile spread across her face. "Are you feeling slightly more optimistic today?"

He grinned. "It must be because of me getting all your questions right."

"Oh really?" she asked, obviously amused. "Then what are the ingredients required to make the Draught of Living Death?"

They entered the castle while Harry thought it through. When he answered, Hermione snapped her fingers. "What? Did I miss something?" he asked.

"No, it's just that I haven't been able to stump you yet," she said.

"You'll get there eventually," Harry assured her. "I need to do a lot more studying."

"Do me a favor," Ron said as they climbed the marble staircase, "don't talk about homework, exams, or studying until at least dinner, okay?"

Harry chuckled. "You have my word."

Hermione sighed. "Very well."

"Thank Merlin!" he exclaimed; his grin was the brightest it had been all day long.

*****

Harry spent his weekend relaxing. He and Ron played a few games of wizard's chess while Hermione studied. Afterwards, they persuaded her to join them outside. Before she began studying again, she transfigured a pine cone into a ball so that Harry and Ron could play catch.

On Sunday, the clouds rolled in and it rained. Hermione went off to the library while Ron worked on both his Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts essays that he had neglected. Harry, who had done the essays with Hermione, opted to read his mother's diary. Since it didn't seem to bother Ron too much, he read at the table where his friend was working at.

When Ron was finished, he told Harry that he was going to go to the hospital wing to see if Madam Pomfrey had something for his monstrous headache.

"McGonagall was mental assigning us that," he groaned, rubbing his temples. "It was far too much work."

Harry remembered that it took him two hours to complete the essay under Hermione's watchful eye. "Yeah, I know," he replied. "A true killer."

Ron walked out, leaving Harry alone with the other Gryffindors in the common room. He opened the diary and continued to read. He had actually come a long way since he sat down next to Ron that morning. Eventually, he came to an entry that told him exactly how far he had come along.

25 June, 1978

Today is my last day at Hogwarts. I can't believe that it's all over. Seven long years have come to an end. I actually went back and read the entries from my first year. My, how things have changed. Back in those days I was so naive. I used to be so annoyed by James, and now, I'm in love with him. I can actually tolerate Sirius now. Remus is nearly as much of a troublemaker as James and Sirius. Peter…well, to be honest, he hasn't changed much. He's still the same puny boy who needs someone bigger than him to protect him. Sorry Peter, but you're a pansy.

Belinda and I were packing earlier today. We promised to stay in touch with each other. She's already got a job lined up with the Ministry. I'm very happy for her.

As for me, I won't have a job, per se. Professor Dumbledore approached James and me about joining a resistance group against Lord Voldemort. Yes, no "You-Know-Who" nonsense for me. Dumbledore asked us to pass this information on to Sirius, Remus, and Peter. We did this afternoon. We decided that we're going to do it. James, however, said that he would still be going through with Auror training. He feels it's the best way that he can help this "Order of the Phoenix." For me, I won't have a paying job, but as James wants us to move into our own flat together, he says he can handle all of the expenses.

Speaking of which, James is coming home with me. I received the owl back today from Mum and Dad. It turns out that Petunia and her new husband, Vernon, will be there too. Since receiving this news, I almost look forward to returning home. Petunia has been very sour towards me, especially since she met Vernon Dursley. I wasn't even in the wedding. If it hadn't been for Mum getting her to change the date, I wouldn't have been there for the wedding at all! Now I'm not quite sure how the dinner with James will go since they will both be there.

On a final note, this isn't the end. Anything truly exciting happening in my life will be recorded here. But until the next time I update, farewell.

Lily

He flipped through the rest of the diary. There seemed to be about fifteen more entries. He closed the book and sighed. He would save the rest for a while later.

Checking his watch, he wondered where on earth Ron and Hermione were. Ron had gone to get his headache taken care of ages ago and Hermione had spent too much time in the library. He quickly ran back up to his dorm and returned the diary before leaving Gryffindor Tower in search of them.

He went to the library first, hoping to find Hermione. To his shock and relief, Hermione was still there, jotting down notes.

"You're still here," he murmured in disbelief.

She looked up, startled. "Oh, Harry-I wasn't expecting you. What are you doing down here?"

"Looking for you," he said. "How long have you been at it?" He glanced around at the numerous books on her table.

She looked down at her watch. "Goodness, is that the time? I've been in here practically all day."

He nodded. "Perhaps you should take a break."

She hesitated. "Well…"

"You're going to ace your exams, don't worry," he said, grinning.

She laughed. "Thank you for the vote of confidence." Then she gave him a penetrating look. "Why are you really here, Harry?"

He shrugged. "Looking for a friend, that's all."

"I see," she murmured. "What's wrong?"

"Wha-oh, nothing," he said. "I guess you could say that I'm feeling a little lonely."

"Where's Ron?"

"Good question."

She blinked. "What do you mean?"

"He complained about having a headache and left for the infirmary, but he never came back," he told her, shrugging.

Her brow furrowed, contemplating. "Do you know of anything that could have happened?" she asked.

"No, unless something horrible happened while he was at the hospital," Harry replied.

"That's highly doubtful," she said. "He probably started talking to someone on the way back."

"I dunno. D'you think we should find him?" Harry asked her.

"Probably. He'll like to know that he's missed. It'll be a huge boost to his ego," she added with a grin.

She started to stack her notes and books. "Er-d'you need any help with that?" he asked as she placed most of the items in her bag. "I could carry it for you," he suggested.

She looked up, stunned. "Pardon?"

"Your bag-I can carry it for you if you'd like," he repeated.

"Oh! Er-well, that would be lovely," she said awkwardly. "Let me just quickly finish packing it."

Once she was done, Harry lifted it up. "Dear lord, how do you manage this?" he asked as he hefted the bag up onto his shoulder. "It's horrendously heavy." He sized her up quickly. "Just how strong are you?"

She blushed. "Oh, I might have had some difficulty with it. It's just my luck you came along and offered to carry it."

He grunted as they started out of the library. "So now I'm your hero?"

She didn't reply. Instead she said, "We should check the hospital wing first."

He nodded. "Yeah, I suppose."

As they walked down the corridor after exiting the library, Harry looked over to his right and down at the door to the broom closet where Rocco Zabini had been brutally murdered.

Don't worry, he thought. It's only a matter of time until we catch your killer and avenge you.

When they reached the hospital wing, they were stopped by Madam Pomfrey. "What do you need?" she asked.

"We're looking for Ron-"

"Mr. Weasley left awhile ago," she said, her tone changing as though they were disturbing her. "He's no longer here."

Harry frowned. "Thanks."

Madam Pomfrey gave him a scrutinizing look. "Mr. Potter, while I know it is exam time, putting that much weight on your back and shoulders might just give you a hernia. Lighten the load!"

Harry shot a triumphant glance at Hermione. "Don't worry, I will." When they left, he grinned and asked her, "Now aren't you really glad that I'm carrying this?"

"Alright, alright, I'll stop carrying around so much," she conceded.

He checked his watch again. "Dinner is almost ready. Let's go to the Great Hall. We know how Ron can't go without a meal."

Hermione nodded. "Good plan."

When they reached the Great Hall, Harry's back was getting sore. "Exactly how many books do you have in that thing?" he asked as he dropped the bag and shoved it underneath the table.

"A fair few," Hermione replied, sitting down.

He sat down next to her. "How much is a 'fair few,' exactly?"

She gave him a sheepish look. "Maybe a dozen."

He stared at her. "How did you fit all of that into your bag?"

"I'm good at packing," she replied.

"Apparently." He looked around. "So, where's Ron?"

Hermione looked around too. "How strange. Dinner's almost started and he hates being late to it."

"It's about the only thing he hates being late for, except maybe a Quidditch match," Harry remarked.

Five minutes later, Ron entered the Great Hall, his face flushed. When he sat down, Harry and Hermione stared at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Where were you?" Harry demanded. "We were looking for you."

"You were?"

"Yes. You said you had a headache and never came back," Harry said. "What happened?"

"I-er-After I left the hospital wing I-er-ran into somebody," he said, his face turning an extreme shade of red.

"Who?" Harry asked him.

Somehow, he went redder still. "Er-Luna Lovegood," he replied so quietly that Harry and Hermione could barely hear him.

But they did, and Harry winked at Hermione. "Really? Did you have a nice conversation?" he asked, grinning.

"It was alright," Ron said.

"Alright enough to keep you out of the common room for a little under two hours," Harry said, his eyes full of mirth.

"Hey, I was in the hospital for part of that," Ron said, folding his arms over his chest.

"Exactly how long?" Harry asked.

His eyes glanced away and rested on his plate. "About fifteen minutes."

Harry's eyebrows shot up underneath his bangs. "Wow."

"Shut up, Harry," he said grumpily.

"Oh Ron, don't worry about it. Just fill up your plate," Hermione said, trying to hide her grin.

Grumbling under his breath, Ron pulled a steak and kidney pie towards him. Then, when his mouth was full, he asked, "So wha deh 'choo two do while I 'as gone?"

"Well, Hermione tried to give me a hernia," Harry said, which earned him a small smack on the arm.

"You offered to carry my bag," she reminded him.

"I was trying to be nice and then she piles the thing full of books," Harry told Ron.

"She's Hermione. She wouldn't be Hermione unless she had a back-breaking bag," Ron said, stuffing his mouth again.

"Should I take that as a compliment?" Hermione asked.

"Take it as whatever you'd like," Ron said. "So Harry, did you finish reading your mother's diary?" He shifted uncomfortably.

"Actually, I read her last Hogwarts entry today," Harry replied. "The few I have left are entries from important moments in her life."

Hermione smiled. "Which means there's an entry in there for the day you were born."

A slow smile crept across his face. He hadn't really thought of that. "Yeah, I suppose there should be," he said.

"There must be," Hermione said. "A mother would definitely write about the birth of her child if she kept a diary."

Then a dark thought plagued Harry. "What if she forgot though?" he asked. "What if writing in it by then was so out-of-practice for her that she didn't think about it?"

"From knowing what I know about your mother-granted it's not a lot-she wouldn't have forgotten to write about it," she assured him. "I know that I sure wouldn't have if I were her."

"I suppose I'll just find out when I get to it," he said, giving her a small smile.

She nodded. "So, exams start tomorrow. I think I'm ready for them."

"I'm not," Ron muttered. "Stupid things. It's not like they tell you anything."

Hermione looked utterly offended by that statement. "Exams are a way to tell a teacher how much you have learned. They're very important to the educational process."

"That needs to be changed," Ron said. "Some people just aren't good test takers. The scores are inaccurate."

"And how do you propose teachers go about discovering how much their pupils have learned in the course of a year?" Hermione challenged.

"I dunno. Perhaps by actually using their eyes?" he replied sarcastically.

"They can't possibly watch everyone at once," she said. "It's impossible. Besides, it's not just learning something; it's remembering it for later too. Testing helps to prove that students know what they're doing-that they remember what they've been taught."

"That doesn't mean anything when you're faced with a crisis and your mind blanks," Ron said.

She frowned. Harry thought Ron had a valid point, and apparently Hermione didn't have a decent rebuttal. "Yes, you do have a point," she said. "Panic can cause even the most skilled to fail."

Ron sat for a moment, stunned by the fact that she had conceded. "Yeah," he said, lamely.

Harry chuckled. "Well, now that I'm full, I think I should go upstairs and do you-know-what. You know, that thing that one of you hates and one of you loves."

"Studying?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, but I was trying not to say it for Ron's benefit."

Ron groaned. "Thanks, mate."

Harry laughed. "Anytime."

*****

Harry woke up bright and early the next day, ready for his exams that day. He had spent a good portion of the evening studying along with Hermione, and eventually Ron joined them, which was what shocked Harry the most. Then it became apparent to Harry that the crunch of exam time had finally hit Ron and the fear of failing horribly had set in. The last thing Ron wanted, Harry knew, was his mother finding out that he had somehow flunked out of Hogwarts. While Fred and George would be happy with it, Ron's parents would be seriously disappointed if that were the outcome.

Harry got dressed and headed down to the common room. There he found fifth and seventh years everywhere. Their all important O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s started that day. He also found Hunter, Dylan, and Ally sitting in a corner. Feeling friendly, he walked over.

"Hey," he greeted, "getting ready for your exams?"

"Oh, good morning Harry!" Ally said brightly. "Yes, we are." Then she lowered her voice. "How are you doing?"

"The bruising is starting to fade and the pain has all but disappeared. I'm fine," he said, sitting down with them. Then he caught something in Dylan's hand. "Is that a Nosebleed Nougat?"

He hid it behind his back. "No."

Harry laughed. "Hey, I'm not a prefect. What's your first exam today?"

"Transfiguration," Ally replied.

"Then that won't work on Professor McGonagall. After all, she's the Head of Gryffindor house and knows quite a bit about the stuff Fred and George make. She endured seven long years of them, after all," he said, grinning.

Dylan sat for several moments, frowned. "What about Professor Snape?" he asked finally.

They all laughed. "He wouldn't care even if your nosebleed was real," Harry said.

Hunter nodded. "Yeah." His voice went deep and he wrinkled his nose as he sat up straighter. "You will finish your exam, Brown. A thousand points from Gryffindor for interrupting."

They chuckled appreciatively at his imitation. "Oh, just be happy your last name isn't Potter," Harry said. "I'd be a million then."

"Yeah, I heard Snape hates your guts," Dylan said. "Why is that?"

"Two words: my dad."

"Your dad?"

Harry nodded. "They hated each other when they were in school. The greasy git was jealous of my dad."

"What for?" Hunter asked.

"Well, Professor Lupin reckons it was because of my dad's Quidditch abilities," Harry said. "He was a damn fine Chaser from what I've heard. But otherwise, Snape's reasons for loathing my father are beyond me."

Dylan then called Snape something so foul that even Harry was taken aback. "Wow."

He looked sheepish then. "Sorry."

Harry chuckled. "It's quite okay."

"So what are Hogwarts exams like, Harry?" Ally asked him.

He grinned. "Haven't you asked Hermione that question yet?"

"Yes, but I want differing experiences," she said.

Dylan rolled his eyes. "I've told you, Ally, they're awful. That's what Lavender says anyway."

"They'll give you a headache, that's for sure," Harry replied. "But if you're well prepared, you won't have to sweat much."

"That's what Hermione said," Ally told him. "Except for the headache part."

"Which probably should tell you that you shouldn't ask someone who's been around her for so long," he said with a grin.

"What if I asked Ron?" she asked.

"Then you'd hear that they're 'bloody awful' and a 'nightmare.' That's pretty much true about O.W.L.s, but you've got several years before you get there." He looked over and saw Hermione emerge from the girls' dormitory. "Ah, would you excuse me?" he said and got up.

Hermione smiled as he walked over. "Good morning," she said. "What's the difference between a chimera and a manticore?"

"Don't you already know?" he asked.

"Yes. I'm seeing if you know," she said.

Harry sighed. "Alright, let's see if I can answer that."

When he did, Hermione smiled. "You're ready for the Dark Arts exam, that's for sure."

He grinned. "Good. Of course, the last time Lupin was our teacher, I did extremely well on his exam."

She nodded. "Better than I did, even."

"I doubt that will happen again," he retorted.

"I doubt it won't," she said. "You've got a gift when it comes to that class."

He shook his head. "No, I don't."

She laughed. "You really do, Harry, even if you don't believe me."

Ron walked down the steps from the boys' dormitory and into the common room then. "And I had so hoped this day wouldn't come," he groaned.

"Well it has. Good morning, Ron," Hermione said brightly.

He grumbled under his breath. "How can you be so bloody chipper this morning?"

"She's Hermione. Think about that," Harry advised.

He grumbled some more. "Has breakfast started yet?"

Harry checked his watch. "Almost. Let's go get you something to eat."

*****

Harry had his Defense Against the Dark Arts and Transfiguration exams that day. Afterwards, he walked back into the common room, mentally exhausted. They weren't as hard as he had thought they would be. He imagined he actually scraped a very decent mark.

Ron, on the other hand, felt horrible after their exams were over with. "When Hermione gets back, I'm going to ask her to quiz me for the Charms exam tomorrow, and the Astronomy exam too."

Hermione was off taking her Ancient Runes exam. Harry could only nod. When he headed up the stairs for the dorm, Ron asked, "Where are you going?"

"Upstairs to nap," Harry said. "McGonagall's exam turned my brain to mush."

"I don't blame you. See you later, mate," Ron said, sitting down at a table, pulling out his Charms book.

"Yeah, see you," Harry said, heading up the stairs once again. When he got to the dorm, he plopped down onto his bed, stretching out and placing his hands behind his head. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep, but sleep did not come. Eventually, he gave up and pulled out his mother's diary. He didn't feel like studying yet.

23 July, 1978

When I said I would write all of my exciting moments in this journal, I never expected that I would update so quickly, but something very exciting has happened! James proposed to me! He asked me to marry him! I couldn't believe it. We're so young. We're both eighteen. But we love each other and with this war on, we may not have as much time left as we think. So I said yes. I told him that I would marry him and become his wife. I will become Mrs. James Potter.

We've already set a date. It'll be April 15th. April 15, 1979 I will become a married woman. I can hardly wait.

Lily

Harry smiled. They weren't even a month out of Hogwarts when his father had proposed marriage to his mother. They truly had loved each other. He flipped the page and read the next entry, but it was nowhere near as cheerful as the last one.

13 August, 1978

I am so lost. I don't know what to do. For all the magic I know, all the power I have, there was nothing I could do to save her. My mother is gone. She had a stroke and she's left this world behind her. She was so young. She was only forty-seven. How could a woman have a stroke at the age of forty-seven? I don't understand it. Just last week she and I went out shopping for flowers for the wedding. We argued about the fact that my wedding won't be in a church. We were picking out roses and lilies (ironic, isn't it?) and I told her that I was an adult and that I didn't need her running my life. We parted shortly after that and then I received the call from my father two days ago about her stroke. I feel awful. Petunia was there that first day in the hospital. I could see it in the way she looked at me that she blamed all of this on me.

I can't believe she's gone. She's dead. She won't be there for my wedding, or when I give birth to any of her grandchildren. Things just won't be the same.

I'm so lost.

Lily

A horrible lump had risen into his throat as he had read that entry. So that was the day his grandmother had died. He had wondered. He felt horrible about the way his mother and grandmother had parted. He just hoped that they were able to say a few more words after the incident before she died. Words of love, not words of anger. He reread the entry and touched spots on the paper that had obviously been wet at some point. Tear drops, he realized. They were his mother's tears.

He turned the page to find another entry and more tear stains. Inwardly, he groaned and prepared himself for what he was about to read.

19 October, 1978

Two months ago I lost my mother. Now, I have lost my father. He had a heart attack. He died early this morning. I cried so much today. James said it wasn't the heart attack that killed him. My father died of a broken heart. He hasn't been the same since my mother's passing. An hour ago I realized that he wouldn't be there to walk me down the aisle. There are no words to describe how I feel. My happy life has crashed down upon me, leaving me with such despair. I pray something will happen to make my life a little better. My parents are gone, my sister won't talk to me, the war against Voldemort continues raging on-my happiness all rests within James and our wedding. He keeps me going. He keeps me strong.

Right now, I need his strength.

Lily

Harry closed the diary. His mother's pain became his own. She had lost her parents in a span of two months. They had died months before her wedding. He couldn't possibly imagine how horrible that was. After all, his parents had died when he was just a baby. He could barely remember them.

His mind shifted to the events at Hogwarts. Three sets of parents would never see their children reach adulthood. Three students would never celebrate the day they finished Hogwarts. Three students no longer had a future, only a past. No more laughing, no more crying, no more living. They were gone.

A Hufflepuff, a Ravenclaw, and a Slytherin.

Harry frowned. Oddly enough, a Gryffindor hadn't been murdered. Did that mean something? Did it mean that the killer was actually from Gryffindor House? Or did it mean that if there was one more death it would be a Gryffindor? The thought chilled him to the bone.

Knowing that he wouldn't be taking that nap anytime soon, he got up and headed back down to the common room to join Ron in studying. Hopefully it would take his mind off of death.

*****

Harry and Ron suffered through exams the rest of the week. Hermione, as usual, enjoyed them. When Friday evening came, Harry and Ron celebrated by going down to the kitchens to see Dobby, much to Hermione's disapproval. They made it up to her by bringing her back a piece of chocolate truffle. Her glare only softened slightly when she accepted it.

When they went down to dinner, they ran into the person Harry least wanted to run into.

"You three," Mara Frost said, scowling.

"Good evening," Hermione said, but her tone said she didn't mean it.

Frost's lip curled at her. "I don't have time for chitchat, Granger. Move on!"

Harry glowered at her. "She was only being polite."

She turned her icy eyes on him. Then she leaned forward, looking him dead in the eye. "Polite my arse. I can hear the sarcasm in her voice."

"Then maybe you need to get your hearing checked. And would you please get out of my personal space?"

She stared at him for a moment longer before slowing leaning back. "You could use to learn some manners, Potter," she said.

"I can assure you that he's quite the gentleman," Hermione told her.

Frost raised an eyebrow. "Quite the couple, aren't you? Want a little advice, Granger? Stay away from boys like him. It'll only lead you into trouble."

"Thanks," Hermione said. Harry could tell that she was restraining herself from rolling her eyes.

"Now get going," Frost ordered. "You're supposed to be in the Great Hall."

Hermione grabbed both Harry and Ron's shirt sleeves before either of them could bite out a comment. "Don't say a word," she whispered, pulling them away.

Harry wished he could say that he had proof that she was the person behind the murders, but he heeded Hermione's advice and walked away behind her and Ron. If he ever were to talk to her alone, though, he would probably go off on her.

As they sat down for dinner, Harry decided something. He was going to visit Lupin the next day and talk to him about that woman and so help him, he wasn't going to leave until he had the answers he wanted.

*****

The next morning he got up, got dressed, and headed down to breakfast early. He decided that he would go to see Professor Lupin that evening, during dinner. That way they would not be disturbed.

At breakfast, Hermione noticed his silence. "What's wrong?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing."

She frowned. "Don't tell me that. What is it?"

"I've just been thinking." He finished his breakfast. "I'm-er-I'll see you later."

She looked surprised and confused by his words. "Where are you going?"

"I want to be alone for a little while," he told her.

"Any reason why?" she asked.

He shook his head. "More time to think."

She frowned. "About what?"

He couldn't look at her. "Lots of stuff. Today's the one year anniversary of Sirius's death."

"Yes, I know." She sighed. "And I understand. When do you think we'll see you again?"

"Later," he replied.

She sighed. "Alright. Find us if you need us."

"I will," he said, giving her a slight smile before walking away. He didn't like lying to her. He actually was going to prepare his questions for Lupin. But his mind kept going back to his words to her. Maybe he wasn't lying; maybe he would think about nothing but Sirius.

When evening arrived, Harry walked down to Lupin's office. He knocked quietly.

"Come in," Lupin called from behind the door.

Harry opened the door and peered inside. "Professor Lupin?"

"Oh, Harry, hello!" Lupin greeted. "This is an unexpected surprise, but a nice one. What can I do for you?"

Harry stepped inside, leaving the door open behind him. "Remember what I came to see you about the night your potion was tainted?"

Lupin frowned. "Yes. Mara Frost."

"Right. Well, I-er-I came to get answers, finally, and I'm not leaving until I get them," he said. "You have to tell me, Professor. Tell me what you know about her."

"Why, Harry? She hated your mother, yes, but Snape hated your father and you've never asked me to tell you about his past. Why is it so important for you to know about Frost?" Lupin asked.

Harry frowned. He couldn't hold it in any longer. "Because I think Mara Frost killed June, Sinead, and Rocco."

Lupin blinked in surprise. "What?"

"She killed them," Harry said, "and I've got proof."

"Proof?"

"I found a strand of her hair in the broom cupboard Rocco Zabini was murdered in," Harry said. "And I know that she's a Death Eater."

Lupin was taken aback. "A Death Eater?"

"Yes, and Snape knows it, but he hasn't said anything to anyone because he fancies her-or used to."

"When did you hear this?"

"I heard him tell her when I was in detention with him. But I've known about her being a Death Eater since the Yule Ball," Harry explained. "Snape says she's been to Azkaban and everything. How could she be an Auror if she's been to Azkaban?"

Lupin sat down, placing a hand on his forehead. "For one thing, why were you snooping around a crime scene?"

Harry frowned. "For the same reason you, my dad, and Sirius would-to figure out what the hell is going on here."

"Have you ever considered that your evidence may not be evidence?" Lupin asked.

Harry blinked. "What?"

"She could have lost a strand of hair while she was investigating the room," Lupin told him.

"But that's highly doubtful," Harry said. "Wouldn't she and the other Aurors make sure that they don't contaminate the crime scene?"

"You would think that, yes. But if she's the killer, don't you think she would make sure that she didn't contaminate the crime scene then?" Lupin asked.

"She might have slipped up. All murderers do," Harry said. "Why are you defending her? She hates Muggle-borns."

"She hated your mother," Lupin corrected.

"She hates Hermione!"

"Probably because she's associated with you, Harry," Lupin said. "She can't stand that you're Lily's son."

"She doesn't gripe at Ron as badly as she does Hermione," Harry told him. "She doesn't like Muggle-borns."

Lupin sighed. "It is possible she dislikes Hermione more because she may remind Frost of your mother."

"I-what?"

"Lily and Hermione do share some of the same qualities," Lupin said. "They are both kind and gifted individuals. They're both intelligent and sometimes headstrong. Lily and Hermione give without any thought of receiving. They care about others. Do you see how similar they are?"

"I-I guess there are," Harry murmured. "But why does she hate my mother? You said she was jealous of her. Why? Is it...is it because of my father?"

Lupin sat there for a moment. "It wasn't just because of your father."

"So she did fancy him." His stomach rolled in disgust.

He sighed. "If you could call it fancying. It was more of an obsession she developed after he beat her at Quidditch. She couldn't believe that someone had defeated her, so she had to know why. In her own sick and twisted way, she developed something for him, although none of us were ever sure exactly what it was."

"Why else though?"

"Why? Because Lily was better at nearly everything than her. Frost is a competitive woman. She's an ambitious woman. She wanted to be the best. And she was-almost. She was the only girl on the Slytherin Quidditch team for at least fifty years. She even became captain in our sixth year, surprisingly. She was a prefect. She got twelve O.W.L.s, as did your mother, for that matter. But Frost didn't become Head Girl like she so desperately wanted."

"Mum was."

Lupin nodded. "And that certainly ticked her off. Of course, Lily was everything Frost wasn't. Lily was compassionate and understanding. Frost was just plain cold. That's why she got overlooked for Head Girl."

"And that led Frost to becoming a Death Eater," Harry murmured.

Lupin frowned. "You said you heard Snape say that she had been in Azkaban?"

"Yeah."

Lupin considered this. "Then it's more likely that…" He trailed off as he looked over at the doorframe. "Miss Weasley? Can I help you?"

Harry turned to find Ginny standing there, looking at Harry in confusion. "Ginny?"

"Aren't you supposed to be down on the grounds meeting Ron and Hermione?" she asked him.

Now he was the one who was confused. "What are you talking about?" he asked her.

"The note. You sent them a note about an hour ago asking them to meet you on far side of the lake during dinner. They left to go meet you," she told them. "Why are you still here?"

"I didn't send them a…" he trailed off as realization dawned on him and a cold dread settled in his chest. He stood there, horrified.

"Harry?" Lupin asked tentatively.

Harry didn't respond-he ran. He ran out of the office, down the corridor, took the stairs three at a time, and continued running until he reached the oak front doors. He pulled them open and started running again as fast as he could. Panic whined in his head. The killer had sent that note, and he knew it. He had to get there before anything happened.

He ran until he reached the far side of the lake, where he stopped. Trying to catch his breath, he searched around. Then, on the shore, he saw-

"Ron!" He rushed over to his friend. Ron was lying in a bloody heap near the water's edge. But when Harry dropped to his knees by Ron's side, he saw that Ron was still alive, but barely conscious. "Ron!"

Ron turned his head slightly towards Harry. Then he spat out blood. "Harry…"

Harry looked around frantically then. Where was Hermione? She was nowhere to be found.

"Harry…"

He looked back down at his friend. His face was covered in blood. Harry realized that his nose was probably broken. "Ron, what happened? Where's Hermione?"

"Got a letter...from you." He grimaced. "We came…but then…we were attacked. Masked." His breath became ragged. "Took her…she's gone…took her…"

Harry heart stopped beating. "Took her where?"

"Said something…something about…a cemetery…cemetery in…Hogsmeade…"

Harry nodded, trying to breathe. "Okay, Ron, okay. Stay with me," he said. "Stay with me."

But as Harry uttered his words, Ron's eyes rolled up into the back of his head and he fell unconscious.