Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: First off, thank you Nitya for always being around while I sweat bullets over these final chapters. It means a lot to me. To the readers…finally, the moment you've all been waiting for (unless the moment you've been waiting for is H/Hr getting together, then you're SOL when it comes to this chapter)…you finally get to discover if you were right! The murder mystery draws to an end. Writing this story has taught me a lot about writing detective style stories. I will definitely use what I have learned in the future. But now, I won't hold you up any longer. Go ahead…read!

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

UNMASKING THE KILLER

Never in Harry's life had he been so terrified. His best friend lay unconscious before him, beaten badly, while his other best friend-the girl he had begun developing feelings for-had been kidnapped and possibly was on the brink of death even as he kneeled there, trying desperately to wake Ron up to no avail.

Realizing his attempts were futile, Harry reached down and grabbed Ron before grunting as he struggled to pick the dead weight of his friend up and into the classic fireman's carry. Then, already feeling the strain on his neck, shoulders, and back, he slowly began to make his way back up to the castle. There was nothing he could do for Ron now. He would have to leave Ron's recovery in the hands of Madam Pomfrey, or, if necessary, St. Mungo's. There was something he could do for Hermione though, if he managed to get there on time.

Ron's words echoed in his head. "Took her…she's gone…took her…"

He tried to walk faster. How long ago had she been taken? How much hope could he have that she was still alive?

It was then that he realized exactly why she had been taken. She was the last piece of the puzzle. Hufflepuff…Ravenclaw…Slytherin…Gryffindor. She was the Muggle-born Gryffindor that had been chosen to be killed. She was probably even the first to be marked for death. She was Harry Potter's best friend, after all. The killer had more than likely known all along that she was going to be the climax of the killing spree. Voldemort had undoubtedly ordered it to be that way.

He could practically hear Voldemort's orders now. "Pick three random Mudblood students, murder them, and then kill Harry Potter's best friend, Hermione Granger."

But why Hermione and not Ron? Why didn't the killer choose Ron? Ron was as much his best friend as Hermione was. Or was he? With his new feelings, Harry wasn't sure exactly how much Hermione meant to him in relation to Ron. Did he care about her more?

No, he loved Ron like a brother. He loved Hermione like a…well, he wasn't quite sure of that yet. There was a difference, he decided, between loving someone and falling in love with someone. He already loved Hermione as a friend, but as his feelings grew deeper for her, he knew that he could love her as something more. Did Voldemort already know that? Could Voldemort sense Harry's deepening affection for her? Was that why she was taken and Ron wasn't?

He grunted again and shifted Ron's weight as he arrived at the steps leading up to the oak front doors of Hogwarts. Slowly, as his body ached due to the strength required to carry Ron, he began his agonizing trip up the steps. Silently, he thanked everything that was good and holy that the hospital wing was on the first floor.

When he reached the great doors, he opened them while trying to balance Ron on his shoulders. Successful, he walked into the entrance hall. The last few people leaving dinner stared at him as he walked with Ron's unconscious, bloody form on him. Also there was a nervous looking Ginny and, to Harry's great surprise, Neville and Luna.

Before he had time to ponder why they were there, they rushed forward to meet him.

When Ginny saw Ron, she was near tears. "Sweet Merlin," she breathed. "Wh-what happened?"

"He was attacked," Harry said, grateful to see them. They could deliver Ron safely to Madam Pomfrey. Carefully, he bent low and laid Ron on the floor. "The murderer sent them that note. I found Ron-Hermione's gone."

Ginny gasped. "Gone?"

"The killer took her. At least, that's what Ron told me before he went unconscious," he said.

Luna had kneeled next to Ron and was brushing a red lock from his face. "You plan to rescue her," she said matter-of-factly.

"I have to," Harry said. "The killer's a Death Eater, under orders of Voldemort." They cringed. "It's because of me that she's been taken. If she dies, it's my fault."

Neville frowned. "I'll go with-"

"No! I won't have you risking your life again," Harry said fiercely. "This is something I must do alone."

"But-"

"Alone!" Harry insisted. "Please, help get Ron to the hospital wing. Please."

Neville frowned, but nodded. "We'll take good care of him, Harry."

"Thank you," Harry murmured. "But there is one thing I must know…where is Hogsmeade's cemetery?"

"Why do you need to know that?" Ginny asked.

"Because that's where Ron said the killer took her," Harry said. "That's the killer's mistake-shouldn't have muttered a location."

"The cemetery is actually on Hogwarts grounds," Luna said airily. "It's on the other side of the lake."

Harry stared at her. "How do you know this?"

"My dad interviewed Dumbledore about it several years ago for The Quibbler before any of us attended Hogwarts," Luna replied. "It's well protected. The lake's on one side and the mountains are on the other. It's a rough walk-or swim, if you prefer to go by that way."

He frowned. "I think I'm up for it. There's not any time to lose anyway. I may be too late as it is. Take care of Ron and I'll see you la-well, I'll see you," he said and headed towards the door.

Behind him, he heard Neville call, "Good luck, Harry!"

He turned back and looked at Neville's round face. "It will take more than luck to save her." With a frown, he gazed out the door momentarily before sprinting out onto the shadowed grounds as the sun set in the western sky.

Using Luna's instructions, he figured that the cemetery was probably not far away from the cavern that Sirius had used when he stayed in Hogsmeade. It was going to be a long jaunt. He wondered once again exactly how long it had been since Ron and Hermione were attacked. If it wasn't as long ago as he thought, there was still a chance that, not only would Hermione still be alive, but that she and the killer had yet to reach the cemetery. It was highly doubtful though. Harry had wasted enough time.

He had a decision to make in regard of how to get there. He could either take the lake side, which would be quicker, but it also presented the risk of him being detected early. The other option was to work his way through the rocky edges of the mountains. Climbing would slow him down, but it would require adequate coverage while he scoped out the area, giving him enough time to figure out how best to rescue Hermione.

He decided on taking the lake. He could use a Disillusionment Charm to help him. Time was not on his side, after all. He needed to be fast. He ran towards the lake; however, he found his path barred by a huge stone wall.

That explains why Luna said I'd have to swim, Harry thought. He looked over at the end of the wall and at the smooth, calm surface of the lake. There was no way he'd be able to swim there without being detected, even with a Disillusionment Charm. He looked over at the mountains. He'd have to climb.

Wasting no time to mentally groan, he ran towards the mountains. Each passing second was another chance that Hermione could die. He didn't know what he'd do if that happened. He'd be so lost without her.

No, don't think about her dying. She's still alive. I can feel it, Harry thought as he reached the foot of the mountain and began to climb. I'd know if she were dead.

He climbed up higher until he was level with the wall. He could jump it if he chose to, but then he looked up to see a ledge. His decision was an easy one. If he jumped over the wall, he wouldn't have nearly as much cover as he could have liked. So he climbed up onto the ledge.

When his feet were planted firmly on the stone, he stood up and looked over his surroundings quickly. The ledge, he realized, was actually a narrow pathway cut between the large stones on the mountain. The perfect cover. He crept down it quietly. It wasn't easy, though. It was covered with jagged rocks. As he moved as fast as he could, he narrowly missed cutting his arm on one particularly nasty edge as his shirt sleeve tore. He wanted to swear, but restrained himself.

Time was passing and still he found no sign of Hermione or her captor. He started to become jittery. Where were they? Was he really too late?

He maneuvered his way through the rocky terrain, desperate to find her, hoping that she wasn't dead. And suddenly, he heard a voice shout, "CRUCIO!" But it was the scream that made his blood run cold.

She may be alive now, but not for long! his mind cried as he moved faster. He saw light flickering off of the stone walls ahead-he was getting close.

He paused at the corner and peered around. Standing on the shore of the lake were over a dozen Death Eaters, each of them wearing their horrible masks. They were all staring at a large yew tree. And there, with her arms above her head and her wrists tied to an overhanging branch, was Hermione, looking pale and weak.

Harry had to resist every urge to jump down and run in there. Instead, he searched around for a better place to hide. He saw it-a path that went down to the ground. Just a little off to the right of it was an outcropping which would perfectly conceal him. His pulse quickening, he took out his wand and rapped himself on the head sharply while murmuring the incantation to the Disillusionment Charm. Then, when he looked like a human chameleon, he went for it, working his way down the path and under the outcropping, where he took the spell off and waited.

"We're tired of your lies, Mudblood," Harry heard a familiar voice snarl. Lucius Malfoy. "Tell us what we want to know or else you'll suffer even more pain." His identity was confirmed when Harry peered out and saw Malfoy march forward, tearing off his mask. He grabbed Hermione by the hair and pulled her head up. "What are they planning?"

She whimpered. "I don't know," she gasped, shifting. The way they had tied her up forced her to stand on her toes.

"Liar!" Malfoy snapped. "Tell us the truth!"

Hermione's face, which had been contorted in pain, now twisted into anger. She jerked her hair free and then, with all the force she could muster, spat on Lucius Malfoy. "Are you that bloody thick? I-don't-know!"

Malfoy furiously wiped the spit off of his face and backhanded her. "You stupid little Mudblood bitch!" he spat. "I shall show you such a pain that you'll beg for mercy!" He pointed his wand at her leg. "Reducto!"

The ear-splitting scream was almost too much for Harry to bear. But what was worse was the sickening snap that sounded a mere millisecond before the scream came. Malfoy had broken her leg. No, not broken-shattered. He had shattered the bones in her leg.

Harry closed his eyes and turned away, gathering himself, before he peered out again to see silent tears running down Hermione's face. Even in such a horrific moment, Harry felt a great amount of pride in her for not letting them hear her cry.

"Foolish Mudblood," Malfoy sneered. "Next time, answer me properly and I won't be forced to do that again." He held his wand to her throat. "For the last time, what are Dumbledore and Potter planning?"

Harry groaned inwardly. So it was because of the fact that Voldemort couldn't see into Harry's mind any longer that Ron and Hermione were suffering. Perhaps it had nothing to do with the other attacks at all. The whole reason why Ron now lay in the hospital wing and Hermione had a shattered leg was because Voldemort thought that he, Harry, and Dumbledore were planning something. Their misery was entirely his fault. He wanted to kick something. He knew he should have never learned Occlumency.

Focusing his attention back on Hermione, he saw her look directly into Malfoy's eyes, the pain evident on her face. "I don't know," she whispered, and to Harry's horror, she hung her dead, defeated.

But it was this gesture that obviously told Malfoy that she truly was not lying. He lowered his wand. "And if you did?"

There was only a moment's pause before her head snapped back up and Harry saw the fire in them once more. "I wouldn't tell you," she said fiercely. "I'd rather die."

Malfoy snarled. "THAT CAN BE ARRANGED!" he bellowed, pointing his wand at her once more.

Harry knew it was his time to move. He jumped out of his hiding place and charged, his entire being filled with anger and fear.

"Avada Ke-ARGH!" Malfoy groaned as Harry slammed into him, knocking them both to the ground.

Harry rolled and quickly got back to his feet, his wand out. The Death Eaters around him stared at him in shock.

"Harry!" Hermione breathed in surprise and relief.

The Death Eaters came out of their reverie, ready to attack, when Malfoy shouted, "No!" He was hunched over on the ground. "No, not yet!" he spat.

Harry moved to Hermione's side and murmured, "Diffindo," before gently lowering Hermione. She whimpered slightly as some of her weight fell onto her shattered leg. "Got your wand?" he whispered.

"Of course not," Hermione said through clenched teeth. "My vile kidnapper took it."

Harry looked around at all of the masked faces. He knew in his gut that Mara Frost was standing there, but as he searched the eyeholes for her icy blue eyes, he found that he couldn't find them. "Frost! Where are you?" Beside him, Hermione groaned.

Malfoy and the other Death Eaters laughed. "Frost?" Malfoy sneered. "Mara Frost? Is that who you think our agent was?"

Suddenly, one of the Death Eaters took off their mask, causing Harry's eyes to go wide. "No!"

Joaquin Crow smiled. His long black hair matched his black robes perfectly. "Sí, Harry. Mara had nothing to do with it, nothing at all. Her hatred for your mother blinded you. It blinded you just as it blinded your little friends."

"The only Frost that has ever been a Death Eater was her father, Adolphus," Malfoy told Harry. "He was good at his job too. But unfortunately, your little Mudblood mother found out that he was one of us and told your Auror father. Then he was sent to Azkaban, where he died."

Even though some of the puzzle pieces of Mara Frost's past clicked for Harry, he still stood staring at Crow in disbelief. "But your uncle! He was murdered by Death Eaters! You swore vengeance," Harry said. He couldn't believe it. He didn't want to.

"He was a pathetic fool, like my father. That whole side of my family defiles me, the Muggle-loving vermin. I am of the Sangre Pura family, the purest in all of Spain, and it is my duty as part of that family to eradicate anything with Muggle blood. And I will do my duty so I will be disgraced no more! My mother will think I am worthy!" Crow said, his eyes glazing over.

"Sounds like you're nothing more than a pansy," Harry said recklessly, causing Crow's face to twist in anger. "But how'd you do it?" Harry asked. "You judged the dueling contest-you never left. You were in the Great Hall, and in the stadium when the Soul Reaper came. How'd you kill those people?"

It was Malfoy who smirked. "Surely you know it is possible to be in two places at once, Potter," he said.

Harry turned to Crow, who was smiling again. He dug through his robes and took out a gold necklace. Attached to it was a small hourglass. "A Time Turner," Harry whispered.

"That's right," Crow said. "A Time Turner, stolen by a Ministry comrade who tiptoed his way into the Department of Mysteries one night. That's how I killed those Mudbloods."

"Blaise Zabini's younger brother wasn't a Muggle-born," Harry said.

"The son of a Squib is no better," muttered another Death Eater.

"You butchers," Harry spat and slowly lowered Hermione to the ground. "So let me figure this out…did you kill June first and then use the Time Turner, or did you go to the feast first and then use the Time Turner, Crow?"

"Killed her first, of course," Crow said, "and then went back an hour, cleaned the blood off, and went to the feast."

"You bastard. You captured Sinead before the D.A. meeting and stabbed her right at nine o'clock before using the Time Turner and going back to argue with Frost and to slip the letter into my pocket." Crow nodded. "And then you killed Rocco, turned back time, and judged the dueling competition. Tell me, did you expect Peeves to find him so quickly?" He scowled at Crow. "But it was perfect, wasn't it? You were sitting pretty with an alibi and your colleagues were then suspected, as they were two of the twelve who weren't in the Great Hall, because they were out patrolling."

Crow laughed. "Indeed, it was perfect. I particularly loved getting orders from Weasel to keep my eye on those two."

Harry glared into Crow's deep blue eyes as Sinead Cassidy's words came back to haunt him.

"The eyes…such…blue…eyes."

He hated himself for not seeing it sooner. "But the Soul Reaper," he murmured. "How did you pull that one off?"

Crow grinned. "Many consider me unable to do such Dark Magic, but they forget that I was once a Ravenclaw-we're smart enough to do anything. Mara was patrolling around the stadium that day, so I had to hide myself. But once I performed it, I quickly went back an hour so there would be no trace of me. Instead, I was standing in the stands, watching my masterpiece as it chased after you. It's so simple, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you're sick. Accio wand!" he shouted suddenly, causing Hermione's wand to soar to him and all hell to break loose.

*****

The moment Hermione's wand reached his outstretched hand, he felt a stunner whiz right past his shoulder. He tossed Hermione her wand. "Get behind this tree!" he ordered, sending a stunner at the closest Death Eater.

"No! Stop!" Malfoy shouted. "Do not kill him!"

The Death Eaters stopped, glaring menacingly at Harry. Their wands were still raised, however, as was Harry's. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that Hermione had made it safely behind the large yew.

"Why not?" Harry asked Lucius Malfoy. "Why not kill me?"

"And deny the Dark Lord the pleasure? I'd rather not face his wrath if one of us took care of you," Malfoy said.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "So you're scared of him?"

"You'd be foolish not to," said another Death Eater.

"He's just a wizard," Harry said.

"He's the most powerful wizard alive!" said yet another Death Eater.

"Then why's he afraid of Albus Dumbledore?" Harry asked them.

"He is not afraid of Dumbledore," Malfoy snarled.

"Sure he isn't," Harry muttered. "If he weren't afraid of Dumbledore, don't you think he would have killed him by now?"

"Dumbledore stays holed up in his little castle," Crow spat. "I think it is he who is scared of the Dark Lord."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Voldemort is afraid of a sixteen-year-old boy. It's not too far of a reach to say he's afraid of an old man-a powerful old man."

A Death Eater behind Crow hissed. "Do not speak his name!" he cried in a raspy voice.

"VOLDEMORT!" Harry bellowed. "It's just a name, you stupid cowards!"

One of the Death Eaters yelled in frustration before shouting, "Avada Kedavra!"

He heard Hermione's shriek as he rolled out of the way. "Stupefy!" he roared, picking the Death Eater off.

"Impedimenta!" Malfoy shouted, catching Harry before he had enough time to utter a Shield Charm. Malfoy stared malevolently at Harry's frozen body before ordering, "Wake him up."

A burly Death Eater walked over to his fallen comrade and murmured, "Ennervate."

When the Death Eater woke up, Malfoy said quietly, "Do not do that again, Flint."

Harry looked over at the Death Eater as the effects of the Impediment Curse wore off and, to everyone's surprise including his own, he smiled. "Flint? Which one? Judas or Marcus?"

The Death Eater tore off his mask, revealing himself to be Judas Flint, the Death Eater that Harry had dueled with in Ottery St. Catchpole that previous summer during the vampire attack-the Death Eater that Harry had sent to Azkaban.

"Well hello, Judas," Harry said, his tone friendly while he gripped his wand tighter. "How've you been since I last saw you?"

"You rotten little bastard," Flint spat.

"Why thank you," Harry said sardonically. "Is Marcus here?"

Malfoy laughed. "Young Mr. Flint does not have enough experience to join us in our important work here."

"What important work?" Harry asked. "Torturing a teenage girl requires Voldemort's best? Is everyone else that inept?"

"Insulting your Mudblood, aren't you?" Malfoy sneered.

"Not at all. That sissy," he said, pointing at Crow, "took her wand, making her defenseless. And after watching her spit on you, Mr. Malfoy, I'd say that she was getting the better of you."

"But I'm still standing," Malfoy pointed out. "She isn't."

"Yeah, that's because you had to be a coward too and break her leg," Harry spat.

Anger flashed on Malfoy's face. "Let's see how you like it then-REDUCTO!"

Harry, however, was ready this time. "Protego!" he shouted, deflecting the Reductor Curse. "And I thought you weren't supposed to hurt me?"

"We can hurt you," Malfoy snarled. "We just can't kill you."

"Pity," he murmured, scanning the crowd of Death Eaters. He had to work out a way to get him and Hermione out of there. There had to be a hole somewhere that he could work with. He truly wished he knew a spell that was powerful enough to knock all of them out. There were far too many of them for him to pick off one by one.

"We should stun him and take him to the Dark Lord," one of the Death Eaters suggested.

Malfoy nodded. "We could do that."

"Do we take the Mudblood with us or can we kill her now?" another Death Eater asked.

Using their momentary discussion to his advantage, Harry backed up slowly towards the yew tree. "Hermione," he whispered fiercely, "can you move?"

Her voice was small and weak. Harry could hear her shallow intakes of breath. "Not my leg," she told him, biting her lower lip.

"Anything else?" he asked her.

He saw her give a slight nod. "Maybe, just maybe, I could walk if I had help."

"Okay," Harry said. "We'll work on that. Now I just have to find a way to get us out of this mess."

"Harry, I'm really, really sorry about this," she said.

"Don't be," he whispered. "It's not your fault."

"I knew something was off about the handwriting on your note, but Ron kept insisting that we do what it said. I'm sorry I didn't stop him," she said and he could tell that she was speaking through clenched teeth, biting back the pain.

"If it's anybody's fault, it's mine," he told her. "I should have told you that I planned to see Lupin during dinner. I should have realized it sooner that Crow would attack you and Ron. You two are my best friends. I need you two in my life and Voldemort knows very well that he'd deal me a major blow if he took you two away."

"Yes, we'll kill the Mudblood," he heard Malfoy say suddenly.

Harry stood up straighter, his wand at the ready. He wasn't going to let them kill her without a fight. They took her away from him temporarily that evening, but there was no way he would let them take her away from him permanently. He needed her by his side. He would protect her, or else he would die trying.

The Death Eaters stepped up together and formed a line like a firing squad. "Move aside, Harry," Crow said breathlessly. "Let us get this over with."

"What? You aren't going to stab her like the rest of your victims?" Harry snapped.

"The only reason why I used those pathetic Muggle means was so that I could make Kingsley and Mara think that Filch had done it. Dumbledore, however, vouched for him quite vehemently," Crow replied.

"Put a kink into your plans, didn't it?" Harry muttered.

"An inconvenience, certainly, but it obviously didn't stop you from looking for other alternatives, like Mara," Crow said with a grin.

Harry gritted his teeth. He tried to check on Hermione out of the corner of his eye, but she had shifted so that the tree protected her as much as it could. Silently thanking her in his mind for having common sense, he stepped forward, letting his instincts decide what to do next. But what he said next surprised him, and every other person there.

"Let me make a deal with you."

Malfoy stood there, taken aback. "A deal, Potter?"

Harry nodded. "Yes. My life for Hermione's."

"Harry, no!" Hermione cried from behind the tree. "No, you can't!"

"I will go willingly to Voldemort if you leave her alone," Harry said.

Suddenly, every pair of Death Eater's eyes widened. They stepped back quickly and got to their knees, bowing.

"You don't have to go anywhere, Potter," said a cold voice. "I'm already here."