Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: This is it. This is the end. It's all over. Told you all I'd make the deadline. =P What a rollercoaster. Part of me is relieved that I've finished this, but another part of me is incredibly saddened. Thank you everyone for your awesome reviews. I really do appreciate them. And, as always, thank you Nitya, especially for not getting annoyed at me this chapter when I was, well, freaking out about the deadline. You're far too understanding. Well, what more can I say that I haven't in previous author's notes. This is the end, so enjoy.

CHAPTER FORTY

THE MYSTERIES OF LOVE

Later on that evening, Dumbledore walked into the hospital wing with a grave look on his face. He looked down at Ron and Ginny mournfully before quietly taking Madam Pomfrey aside and discussing something with her. She frowned at his words and nodded before walking back to her office where she shut the door.

Dumbledore then turned and addressed Neville and Luna. "Mr. Longbottom…Miss Lovegood, might I have a word with Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny alone, please? It is well past curfew as it is."

Both Neville and Luna nodded, getting up. "Yes, Professor."

"Certainly, Professor."

They stepped out of the infirmary and closed the door behind them. Dumbledore sat down on the seat vacated by Neville. He sighed before speaking directly to Ron and Ginny. "I suppose Harry and Hermione have already told you about your brother."

Ginny bowed her head as tears threatened to take over once again. Ron, however, found the strength to nod. "Yes, they did," he said quietly.

"I did not ask him to join me," Dumbledore told them. "He chose to come along and was quite adamant about it. He told me that he had to face the man who had attacked his younger brother-that he needed to see to it that he paid for his crimes."

"And did he?" Ron asked darkly.

Dumbledore frowned. "Not in the way your brother would have liked."

Ron trembled in rage, but he did not speak.

Instead, it was Harry who spoke up. "What do you mean, Professor? What happened to Crow?"

Dumbledore's usually sparkling eyes looked so dull when he gazed at Harry. "Perhaps I should begin the story from the moment you and Hermione left the cemetery," he said. "As you already know, when Mara Frost stunned Dolohov, she began to duel with Crow. I, of course, was still battling Voldemort. But one by one the Death Eaters were being stunned and tied up to be arrested. Frost eventually even had Crow in restraints. When his number dwindled down to five, Voldemort ordered a retreat. I do believe Mr. Crow was shocked that he was left behind when he was clearly not stunned. He didn't handle it very well at all. He…well, he broke free, grabbed Frost's wand, and performed the Killing Curse on himself."

Harry blinked. "He committed suicide?"

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "He chose death over whatever punishment the Wizengamot would decide for him."

"Bloody coward," Ron muttered from his bed.

"Yes, many would say so," Dumbledore said. "He and Percy are the only two casualties tonight. Both of their bodies have been brought back here, to Hogwarts."

"Why Crow's?" Harry asked.

"To let my family disembowel him?" Ron asked hopefully.

"To let the Ministry decide whether or not to send him back to his family in Spain," Dumbledore corrected.

"I'm rather inclined to just toss his body into a six-foot hole," Harry said. "He doesn't deserve to be returned home. He doesn't deserve anything."

"No, he does deserve something," Ron said. "He deserves to be eaten by worms."

"Your anger towards him is understandable," Dumbledore murmured. "He deceived us all, he attacked you, kidnapped your best friend, and was responsible for your brother's death."

Ginny's head snapped up suddenly. "Is it okay to say that I'm glad that monster is dead?"

Whatever Dumbledore's answer, Harry would continue to be happy that Crow was gone. The moment Dumbledore had told them about Crow's suicide, Harry had felt a twisted pleasure that the man was dead.

"There's not a soul here who could possibly blame you," Dumbledore told her. "It is perfectly normal to be happy that someone who has hurt your family is dead. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go send an urgent owl to inform your mother and father." He rose to leave. "I'm terribly sorry for your loss."

*****

Ron was released from the hospital wing the next day. He, Harry, and Ginny didn't leave, though, because of Hermione. Madam Pomfrey had mended up her leg in about an hour after their arrival, but she had wanted Hermione to stay for observation.

In order for the Hogwarts nurse to be satisfied enough to release Hermione, she had her walk around the room, slowly at first and then faster until she was up to what Harry considered typical Hermione speed.

"Your leg has healed up nicely," Madam Pomfrey commented. "Very well, you're free to go."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you," she said as Harry immediately went to her side. He was feeling extremely overprotective of her as of late.

They left the hospital wing with Ron and Ginny trailing along behind them. Ron had gotten a note from Mr. Weasley that morning that he shared with the rest of them.

Ron and Ginny-

Your mother and I received Dumbledore's letter late last night. We have requested that Percy's body be sent home aboard the Hogwarts Express with both of you. Please deliver your brother back to us here at the Burrow. We will see you when the term ends.

Dad

Ron's response to the note had only been a slight nod as he shoved the piece of parchment into his back pocket. Ginny had started weeping again. But by the time Hermione had been released, she had calmed down. Now they all walked back numbly to Gryffindor Tower.

When they entered through the portrait hole, many of the students stopped their conversations to stare at the four of them. News certainly traveled fast there. Neville popped up from his seat to join them. "Hi. How are all of you?"

"Physically healed but emotionally coping," Hermione replied for all of them.

"Thanks for all of your help last night," Harry said.

"It was no problem at all. I'm only glad that I was able to help in some way, shape, or form," Neville said before turning his gaze on Ron and Ginny. "I am terribly sorry about your brother."

"Thank you," Ginny murmured quietly.

Ron excused himself then, claiming to be tired and in need of a nap. Harry and Hermione decided to leave Ginny and Neville alone, who were still speaking. They sat down on a sofa next to each other.

"How's your leg feeling right now?" Harry asked her.

"It feels fine. Madam Pomfrey did a wonderful job," Hermione replied. She stared at Ginny for a moment. "How well do you think they're handling it?"

"Ron and Ginny? They're handling it better than I handled Sirius's death," he said, his eyes watching her closely. "How are you handling it?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

He frowned. "Hermione, you watched somebody die. What's worse is that it was somebody that you knew. Surely you must feel something about that."

Suddenly her features looked very melancholy. "I-I think I'm still in a little shock that he's actually gone. And I'm horrified by what I witnessed. Still though, it was Ron and Ginny's brother who died. They are the ones who truly need comforting. I just-I must deal with my own emotions."

He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, pulling her towards him into a tight embrace. "You need comforting too. It's more than the fact that Percy died. You went through a great amount of trauma last night." He looked around the common room. "Would you like to go to someplace a little more private to talk?"

She lifted her head off of his shoulder. "That sounds nice. What do you have in mind?"

Harry took her hand in his and silently guided her out of the common room. She didn't ask where they were going. Eventually, Harry led her to the Room of Requirement. When the door appeared, he opened it to reveal a small room with a sofa, two chairs, and a fireplace. He let Hermione go in ahead of him.

They sat down together on the sofa. Harry was watching her every move. Hermione was playing with the hem of her skirt and Harry could tell her mind was working overtime, figuring out what to say. He reached out and covered her hand with his.

"It's okay," he murmured, squeezing her hand gently.

She slowly closed her eyes and burst into tears. "Oh, Harry!" she sobbed as he quickly gathered her up in his arms.

"I know," he whispered into her hair. "I know."

"Last night was something out of a nightmare," she said quietly when her sobs dissipated into a series of hiccups. "He came out of nowhere and attacked Ron. When I tried to stop him, he stunned me. When I finally awakened, he was staring into my eyes as he tied me to that tree. I could see the mirth in them. When he finished, he patted-more like slapped-my cheek a few times before joining his friends." She closed her eyes tightly. "Then they tortured me in between their questioning. I had never been in so much pain in my entire life. When Lucius Malfoy broke my leg…I knew he was ready to kill me. The pain was so horrible. I just wanted to get it over with. And then you showed up and saved my life."

"There was no way I'd ever let them kill you," Harry said. "Not while I still drew breath."

"You truly are a great wizard, Harry," she said. "You took on a whole lot of Death Eaters and then Lord Voldemort himself."

"I was lucky the Order members showed up when they did. I don't think I would have lasted much longer. I wouldn't even have lasted as long as I did if it weren't for you, Hermione," he told her. "You kept me sane."

"I'm glad I was of some use," she said, a ghost of a smile appearing on her face as she leaned back.

"Hey, you stopped that Death Eater from attacking me from behind," he reminded her, brushing a tear away as it fell down her cheek. "You saved my neck."

"I'm just glad I got him in time," Hermione murmured. She looked into the fireplace. "It's still hard to believe that Percy is gone."

"I wonder how Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are taking it," Harry pondered.

"I would assume not well," Hermione said. "He was their son, after all. I can only imagine how hard it is to lose a child. You could sense how numb Mr. Weasley is by the way his note to Ron and Ginny was written. He's heartbroken, as is Mrs. Weasley."

"I should have knocked Crow out," Harry murmured. "If I had, he would have never distracted Percy from Dolohov."

Hermione's face took on a hard look. "Don't you go blaming yourself for this, Harry. It was a trap."

"But they wanted information from you," he reminded her. "They wanted to know what Dumbledore and I were up to."

"That doesn't make any of this your fault," she said. "It was a foul trick."

Harry bowed his head and sighed. "I just hope that the Weasleys don't-that they won't think any less of me after all of this."

"They won't," she assured him. "How could they? You managed to get Ron back to the castle when he could have very well died out there. There was nothing you could do about Percy, though. None of us could do anything…not even Dumbledore."

He stomped on his guilt and accepted this fact. "You're right," he replied, "as always."

She sighed. "So the question is, what is going to happen now?"

"I dunno," he whispered.

"I suppose we'll just have to move on with our lives and continue to exercise Moody's tagline of 'constant vigilance' against Voldemort," Hermione said.

He nodded. "I will definitely be taking out another subscription for the Daily Prophet while I'm back at the Dursleys. And I'm going to send more letters to the Order during the summer, demanded to be updated on what Voldemort's up to. After all, I have the right to know since I have to face him at least one more time."

"Share what you learn with me, would you?" she asked. "I promised my parents over the Easter holiday that I would spend the majority of the summer at home. No trips to the Burrow until late August. That is, if we get an invitation at all. I expect that the family will want to be alone to grieve."

"Yes," Harry agreed. "I know that I'll be staying at the Dursleys this whole summer." He groaned audibly at the thought.

Hermione placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "It will be alright."

"Of course it will. It's not like I haven't done it before," he replied. "Besides, once my birthday rolls around, I'll be seventeen and they'll be terrified of me. I could give Dudley that pig snout I've always wanted to give him."

Despite their dark tones of their conversation, Harry's quip caused Hermione to laugh. He was very happy to hear the sound. It brought some sense of normality back into their lives after the terrible events of the previous night.

As her laughter died away, they sat there in silence, both lost in their own thoughts. Finally, Hermione spoke in a nervous voice, "Erm-Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember the other day when you asked me if you were my hero?" she asked in a small voice.

He nodded. "Yes."

"Well-erm-I just wanted…" She frowned. "You really are my hero, Harry," she said finally, "and not just because you rescued me from those Death Eaters last night. You've always been my hero."

He smiled, gazing into her eyes. "And you've always been mine," he murmured.

She blushed. "Me?"

"Yes. You're my hero. You're always using your logic to get me out of sticky situations. If it weren't for you, Hermione, I'd be dead right now," he told her. "Without you, I'd be nothing."

They lapsed into silence then, staring at each other. Harry's heart pounded. He didn't know what to do next. Hermione's brown eyes betrayed nothing, leaving him at a loss. One thing was for certain, though; he had to get them out of their awkward silence.

He cleared this throat. "Erm-well, I don't know about you, but I'm starving after missing lunch. I think I'll go down to the kitchens and ask Dobby if he'd be kind enough to whip something up for me. Er-would you like to come too?"

She shook her head. "No, thanks. I think I'll head back to the common room. Maybe I'll start up with my packing."

"But term doesn't end until next week," Harry said.

She shrugged. "I know, but you know how I like being prepared."

He breathed out a slight laugh. "Yeah," he said, getting up and holding out his hand for her. Accepting it, she let him help her up before walking to the door. "Well, I guess I'll see you later."

She nodded. "I hope you find something to end the rumbling in your stomach. But-er-just try not to overwork poor Dobby. I'll be sending in my petition soon for house-elf rights."

"Did you get all of your signatures finally?" he asked.

"Yes." She opened the door and stepped out. "See you later."

He sighed and watched her go, chiding himself. He didn't want her to actually leave, but when he had opened his big mouth to break the silence he had done just that. Mentally smacking himself, he left the room and headed down towards the kitchens.

As he was walking through one of the corridors on the third floor to take a secret stairwell down, he ran into someone who made his mood turn even sourer. "Frost," he muttered.

"Potter," she said, but Harry noticed that instead of the intense hatred that was usually in her eyes when she looked at him, there was only dull disinterest.

Harry didn't feel like holding a pissing match with her. He stepped aside and startled to walk away.

"Potter!" Frost snapped.

"What?" he demanded, facing her once more. "What do you possibly want with me? I get it! You hated my mum. Okay! But must you take it out on me like Snape does with his hatred for my father? Must you really sink that low?"

She stared at him. "Are you finished with your little rant?" she asked snidely.

"I could definitely say a lot more," he replied dryly.

"Spare me," she muttered. "Look, all I want to say to you is…" She scowled. She looked like what she was about to say was the hardest thing in the world for her. "You've got more guts than brains, Potter-" She grimaced. "-but you do alright in a fight for having that deficiency. Part of me, no matter how I hate it, respects that. You're a lot more like your father than you are your mother."

He stared at her. Was she saying what he thought she was saying? He eyed her warily. "Thanks, I think."

She walked away, leaving him in the corridor alone, still shocked over their encounter.

*****

Harry spent the next few days in the company of Ron and Hermione. He tried to be as supportive as possible for the both of them, but a large part of him was still enraged by the betrayal of a man who had been considerably nice to him since the moment they met.

That's it, Harry decided. The next time somebody's too nice to me, I'll know to check his arm to see if he's branded with the Dark Mark.

In the evenings, after dinner, Harry had taken up reading an entry a night in his mother's diary with Hermione. Her face had brightened when he had offered it the first time, and every subsequent evening, she smiled whenever he brought the book downstairs. They had read about his parents' wedding, his father finishing Auror training much earlier than usual, how both his grandparents died on his father's side, and the day that Lily found out she was expecting a baby.

Hermione grinned as she read the entry. "She certainly was excited, and she had every right to be. Look how much happiness you, not even born yet, brought to her."

Harry nodded as he closed the diary. He felt strange; he wanted to smile and mourn at the same time. "Er-how about one more entry tonight?" he asked her.

She smiled. "Sure."

He opened the diary again to the page they left off on.

31 July, 1980

He has arrived. My little darling has arrived. My baby boy has finally stopped kicking me in the ribs to join this world. I couldn't be any happier. Since I discovered my pregnancy, James and I have discussed what we would name our baby if the child were either a boy or a girl. James jokingly said that we should name him Henry James, a reverse of his name, but I thought it would be better if we used the common nickname of Harry instead, although Harry would not be a nickname for him. So, early this evening, my little Harry James was born. He looks a lot like James already. He has the jet black hair and chin. But the nose is mine, as are his eyes. He has the most adorable green eyes.

James has hovered near my side all day long, bless him. He's finally gone to bed after we put Harry in his new cradle. When Harry was born, he ran downstairs to tell Sirius and Remus, who arrived the moment James flooed them to announce that I had gone into labor. They came up to visit. Remus, unfortunately, couldn't stay very long. But Sirius was already starting to act like a doting uncle. James and I asked him to be Harry's godfather. I swear the man almost cried as he accepted.

Now I must finally rest. I'm exhausted, although watching little Harry coo in his sleep is the cutest thing in the world.

Lily

"Oh, how cute," Hermione remarked. "You used to coo in your sleep."

Harry was burning red. "I was a baby."

"And apparently you were a very cute baby," Hermione said, grinning.

"All mothers think their children are cute," Harry said.

"Oh stop," Hermione teased as Ron walked over and join them. "You were cute, and you know it."

Ron was halfway in the process of sitting in a chair when his jaw dropped. "Did I just miss something?" he asked, still frozen.

"Harry doesn't think that he was cute as a baby," Hermione said, "even though his mother clearly states in her diary that he's adorable."

"Well, none of us exactly knows how Harry looked when he was a baby," Ron said, sitting down finally.

Harry frowned. That wasn't exactly true. Harry had seen himself in Lupin's Pensieve. He had looked like a baby, in his opinion. There wasn't anything special about him.

Harry and Ron settled in for a game of Exploding Snap a little later on that evening. Hermione had opted to go spend time with Ginny to talk. About what, God only knew, in Harry's mind. Like Ron, he usually preferred to stay away from gossiping girls.

They played until they were both too sleepy. Then they went upstairs to their respective beds and promptly fell asleep, where Harry dreamed of sitting by a fireplace with a brown-haired girl.

*****

On the night before the leaving feast, Harry and Ron stood in their dorm, packing their belongings into their trunks.

"I can't believe this year has gone by so fast," Ron murmured, stuffing one of his Weasley jumpers into the corner of his trunk.

"Yeah," Harry agreed, folding up a pair of jeans. "Doesn't seem like very long ago that we were walking through the front door while Peeves spat gum out into unsuspecting people's hair."

A small chuckle escaped past Ron's lips. "Hermione nearly got detention from McGonagall for stopping him. They really ought to do away with the 'no magic in the hallways' rule. It's utter nonsense."

Harry nodded in agreement. "What's your fondest memory from this year?" he asked.

"That's easy," Ron replied. "Three and oh in Quidditch."

Harry grinned. "Yeah, that was great. Gryffindor's best record in decades."

"How about you, Harry? What's your best memory from this year?"

Harry stopped to think about it. In the future, Harry would look back upon his sixth year as an up and down year with its highs and lows. Privately, his answer to Ron's question was kissing Hermione, but instead he replied, "Giving Crabbe and Goyle those pieces of Flatulent Fudge. That was hilarious. I still have to thank Fred and George for sending that stuff to you."

Ron nodded. "Yeah, that was pretty funny. Hey, what about the time we made Malfoy look like an ass?"

Harry laughed. "Oh, that was classic. Again, I have to thank Fred and George."

Ron sighed. "I got a letter from them yesterday."

"Yeah? Why didn't you tell me?" Harry asked.

Ron frowned. "It was about Percy. Here," he said, holding out a piece of parchment. "You can read it, if you'd like."

Ron-

We got a note from Dad yesterday telling us about Percy. He didn't give us details, so we were hoping you could tell us what the bloody hell happened. The prat may be a git, but he's still our brother and we've got a right to know. We're closing up shop for awhile to return home. We figure that's what Mum would want.

Write back to us as soon as you can, Ron. We need to know what happened. See you at King's Cross.

Fred and George

Harry handed the letter back to Ron. "Did you write them back already?" he asked.

"No," Ron replied. "I really don't know what to say to them."

He frowned "I could-er-help you. I did…witness it."

"Bloody hell, Harry, how did all of this happen?" Ron asked, slumping down onto his bed.

"I dunno," Harry murmured. "It just did. Life is cruel that way."

"I never thought he'd join the team to go after you and Hermione," Ron said.

"The way you were so banged up I'm surprised you could think at all," Harry said.

"Part of me doesn't want to go home. I don't want to see Mum cry or anything like that. And I bet that she blames me partially for his death," Ron said mournfully.

"How could she? You didn't tell Percy to go off and avenge you. You were barely conscious!" Harry said. "She'd be completely out of order if she did!"

Ron sighed. "S'pose you're right."

"I'd like to think I am," said Harry gruffly. "Now come on, let's write that letter to Fred and George."

He nodded. "Alright."

*****

The next morning-their last full day at Hogwarts for the term-Harry, Ron, and Hermione went down to see Hagrid. Harry noticed that the kneazle pens were gone before he walked in and asked Hagrid about it.

"Yeh, the kneazles are gone. I sold 'em ter a good pet store I know in Diagon Alley. They'll get good homes, I know it," Hagrid said. "Scones?"

"Er-no thanks," they replied in unison.

"D'you have any tea, though?" Ron asked.

"Yeh. S'in the cupboard," he replied before opening a cupboard door and rummaging around.

"What are you planning on doing this summer, Hagrid?" Harry asked, sitting down next to Fang.

"Whatever Dumbledore wants me ter do, o' course," Hagrid answered. "Not quite sure what he wants the Order ter do since You-Know-Who showed up so close ter Hogwarts. I don' think he'll ask me ter go visit the giants again. Tried that once an' look what happened. Last summer was nice, gettin' ter relax. Dumbledore wanted me to focus my attention on Grawpy when he found out about 'im."

"Maybe Dumbledore will want you to do that again this summer," Hermione said.

"Nah. Grawpy's a good boy now. He don' need me lookin' after him twenty-four seven. I visit 'im about two times a week now and that's it. Don' need ter go in there that often and check on him. He's doin' fine," Hagrid said with a hint of pride in his voice.

"You've done a good job with him, Hagrid," Harry said, smiling.

"Coming to the feast tonight?" Ron asked.

"O' course. Wouldn' miss it for the world," Hagrid said.

"It's a little hush, hush this year," Hermione remarked. "I wonder what Dumbledore's got planned?"

Hagrid shrugged his huge shoulders. "Beats me."

The rest of the day was spent packing, playing games, and generally just lounging about, enjoying the last day of school. When Harry received his marks for the year that day, he was very pleased and showed them to Hermione, who grinned.

"I told you that you could do it," she said. "Those are nearly as good as mine…in fact, the Defense mark is better than mine."

Ron had also scraped together his fair share of good marks. "Blimey, these are my best yet," he said, showing them to Harry and Hermione.

Hermione's grin was bright. "Well done, Ron."

"Thanks," he replied.

That evening at the leaving feast, there were only two scarlet and gold banners up, signifying that Gryffindor had won the House Cup, mainly due to their excellent year in Quidditch. The other banners around the Great Hall were black.

When everyone was seated, Dumbledore stood up and addressed them. "Another year has passed us by. Hopefully all of you have learned something that you did not know before. This has been a year of trials and tribulations mostly, with a few bright spots in between.

"We have lost three of our number-three of your fellow classmates. There is nothing we can do for them now, except to remember. Remember them. Remember June Winters. Remember Sinead Cassidy. Remember Rocco Zabini. Remember what happened to them. Remember who did it to them. Remember them.

"To do that, I would like to take a moment of silence to remember just who June Winters, Sinead Cassidy, and Rocco Zabini were."

There wasn't a sound in the Great Hall. Many were bowing their heads as if in prayer. Harry closed his eyes and thought to himself, You can rest in peace now. Crow was caught. Crow has paid. He will never hurt another soul.

"Thank you," Dumbledore murmured. "And now, I would like to feast in their honor." He raised a gleaming golden goblet. "To June, Sinead, and Rocco."

The entire gathering raised their goblets and murmured in unison, "To June, Sinead, and Rocco," before drinking deeply.

"May the feast begin," Dumbledore said and sat down as plates filled with food.

They ate a hearty, but somber meal that evening. Voices were kept to a whisper. The only time there was any cheering in the Great Hall was when Dumbledore awarded Gryffindor with the House Cup, and even then, the cheering was half-hearted.

When Harry returned to Gryffindor Tower, he told Ron and Hermione that he was tired and that he was going to bed. When he reached the dormitory, he sat down on his four poster to read the last entry in his mother's diary so that he could pack it away in his trunk.

25 October, 1981

I have a horrible feeling. James and I have not heard from Peter in days. We're very worried. James has decided that he will leave the house tomorrow to talk to Sirius and ask him to find Peter for us. I've also made a decision.

I have a horrible feeling that we are quickly approaching the end. I don't think I'll live to see next week. It's just a gut feeling I have.

I have decided to ask James to take this diary with him when he sees Sirius and ask him to place this in his vault. If I survive Voldemort's search for us, maybe then I'll get it out.

I have also decided to address this, should he live, to my son, Harry. My dear, sweet Harry, if you should find yourself reading this, know that your father and I love you deeply. You have been the ray of light in our lives during these dark days. Know that no matter what happens, we will always love you, even if we are no longer there to show it.

That's the funny thing about love. It always accepts you and comforts you. It is always patient and kind. It binds us to one another. It makes us willing to do anything for someone-even die. And there are so many forms of love. There is the love of a parent, the love of a child, the love of a brother or sister, and the love of a friend. There is the love of a lover, and you're lucky if you are able to experience it. Why are there so many types of love? Why does it make us do what we do? Why can it make us jump up and celebrate, drive us to tears, or make us so angry that we can't think straight? These are the mysteries of love, my son, and I hope that you will one day find the answer to many of my questions.

When I wrote this, you were just a year old. And if I die by Voldemort's hand before you read this book, know that I died willingly for you-to save you. I just hope that I succeeded.

I don't know how old you will be when you read this, but even if you're seven and trying to figure out how to add triple digits, I want you to remember to never lose hope. Never live in despair. Never think that no one loves you, because you're wrong. I love you, as does your father, and I'm sure there's someone else out there who does too. If you're older than seven-say, seventeen-then maybe you've already met someone who you love, and maybe you haven't told them yet. Maybe you don't want to risk it. But risk it, Harry, risk it. You may never experience love like that again, so take a chance and don't be afraid. Love is mysterious, and you never know how it is going to work. But for you, I know it will work out well.

Mum

Harry closed the diary slowly. His mother's entry had unnerved him. It was addressed directly at him and it talked about the one thing he was confused most about-love.

Should he? Should he truly risk it and tell Hermione about his feelings when he had no idea about how she felt? Images from the cemetery floated into his mind. No, he couldn't. If Voldemort were to find out about his feelings for her, he would make sure she died a horrible and painful death just so Harry would suffer. He couldn't let that happen to Hermione.

He packed the book away. He couldn't risk it.

*****

The next morning, Harry, Ron, and Hermione grabbed a carriage for their trip to Hogsmeade Station. Harry watched the castle sadly out the window, wishing that he didn't have to leave. He didn't want to return to the Dursleys. He didn't want to return to that hellhole.

Ron and Hermione remained silent too. Ron was staring out his window, brooding. Hermione sat beside Harry, holding Crookshanks and his carrier in her lap. He frowned and returned to gazing at Hogwarts. September couldn't come soon enough.

When they boarded the train, Harry convinced Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, when she arrived, to play a round of Exploding Snap. Hermione thoroughly beat them the first time, followed up by Ginny winning the second game, and Harry winning the third. Then Harry played Ron in wizard's chess and lost horribly.

The only sour note of the whole trip back to London was when Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle walked into their compartment, jeering at Ron and Ginny about losing their brother. But when Harry threatened to wash Malfoy's mouth out with a Scouring Charm, Malfoy scowled at him and left.

"Git," Harry muttered, pocketing his wand and sitting down.

They changed their clothes afterwards and then they arrived at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. Harry departed the train with Hedwig in her cage and his trunk, following Ron and Ginny, who went immediately to the back of the train to receive the body of their brother.

Harry and Hermione watched as a wooden casket was lowered to the ground. Then, four train workers lifted the casket and followed Ron and Ginny as they headed towards the barrier back into the Muggle world.

When Harry and Hermione walked through the barrier, they saw the entire Weasley family in front of them. Mrs. Weasley looked like she was about to burst into tears. Mr. Weasley looked full of sorrow. Bill walked over and placed a hand on Ginny's shoulder, while Fred and George looked solemn for once. Charlie was placing a comforting arm around his mother's shoulder.

Then, slowly, Bill, Charlie, Fred, and George walked forward and took the casket from the four workers. Quietly, the workers disappeared behind the barrier again.

Mrs. Weasley hugged Ron and Ginny. "I'm glad that you're home," she said and then walked over to Harry and Hermione before hugging them both. "And I'm glad you're both safe."

"Thank you, Mrs. Weasley," Harry murmured.

"I'm so sorry about Percy," Hermione said. "If you ever need anything, send an owl right away."

Her smile was bittersweet. "Thank you, dear."

Mr. Weasley walked up and shook Harry's hand. "Nice to see you both again," he said. "I hope you have a good summer."

"Thanks," they both said.

"Molly, we'd better go," he said gently to his wife.

She nodded, sniffing. "Yes, you're right. Good-bye, you two. Stay safe."

They turned and began to walk away. Harry and Hermione caught Ron's eye and waved good-bye. He waved back sadly.

When they were no longer in sight, Harry looked around. There was no sign of the Dursleys.

Hermione was looking around too. "Hmm, Mum and Dad are late."

"So are the Dursleys," Harry said.

Hermione frowned. "Well, I guess this is good-bye for the summer then."

He nodded. "Yeah."

She stepped forward with her arms wide to embrace him, but a powerful urge took over him. He didn't hug her-he kissed her. He kissed her with such a passion that he surprised even himself.

When they broke apart, she stared wildly at him. "We can't be doing this. This can't happen again."

He looked into her eyes. Oh sod it, caution could go throw itself out the window. "But what if I want it to?" he asked.

Her eyes widened. "What?" she whispered.

He glanced away from her for just a second, gathering his thoughts. When he looked back into her eyes, he asked, "Do you remember what I said when we were in the Room of Requirement after Sinead's death?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes," she murmured. "You said that you had meant your kiss, but that you didn't know why."

He swallowed. "I do now."

Her lower lip trembled. "You do?"

"Yes," he whispered. "I know how I feel now. I've finally opened my eyes and saw what's right in front of me." He grabbed her upper arms. "It's you, Hermione. You're the one who's right in front of me and I finally see you for who you are-not as a friend, but as so much more. Hermione," he murmured, "I-"

"I love you," she said.

He blinked. "You do?"

She nodded. "Yes. And I have for a long time now."

He was speechless. She loved him. She was in love with him. He didn't know what to say, so he did the next best thing. He kissed her again.

"We have a lot to talk about," he said at last when they parted.

"Yes, we do," she agreed. Something caught her eye then. "My parents are coming," she said and pushed Harry behind a barrier to block them from view before kissing him one last time.

They were embracing as if they were just friends when her parents arrived. Hermione let him go and hugged her parents. "Mum! Dad!"

"Welcome home, sweetheart," Mr. Granger said.

She turned away from them and gestured to Harry. "Mum, Dad, this is Harry, my friend from school."

He gave a lame wave. "Hello." They smiled and greeted him.

Hermione walked over and hugged him one last time. "Have a good summer, Harry. Good-bye."

"You too," he replied. "Good-bye."

She then turned and left with her parents, her father pushing the trolley with her trunk on it. Harry stood there for several moments, watching them go. Then he turned to find all three Dursleys standing behind him. Uncle Vernon's face was blotched purple, Aunt Petunia looked scandalized, while Dudley sneered at him.

"Who was that?" he asked. "Your girlfriend?"

Harry turned and looked back at Hermione one last time, just as she looked back at him. They shared a smile. "Yeah," Harry replied. "My girlfriend." Then, with the biggest smile on his face, he grabbed his trunk and led the Dursleys out of King's Cross station; his summer was looking a lot brighter.

Final Author's Note: Okay, I'm going to bug you again. I know some of you are screaming bloody murder because I waited until the last chapter to get H/Hr together. But guess what…the fun doesn't stop here. Yes, that's right, I have a sequel in the works. You'll be hearing from me again. And yes, there will be H/Hr in it. =P I hope that everyone now understands the meaning of my title for this fic. You all expected romance and instead got a murder mystery. But this story was never about romance, per se; it was more about one of the prominent themes that I've seen in HP thus far-love. I have had so much fun writing this-coming up with plots, characters (the names took a lot more effort than you probably thought), and everything else. This has kept me busy for over a year and a half. And I'm crazy enough to come back for more. So, for now, I take my bow until the next time and thank you once again for your fabulous reviews and support. They've meant the world to me when I just felt like quitting (damn you writer's block!).

Merci beaucoup,

Jennifer