Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Notes: Not much to say this time around, except for thanks for the reviews everybody and thank you Nitya and Kalie for betaing this.

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

A BALL TO REMEMBER

The next morning, everyone who was eligible to go to Hogsmeade lined up behind the large oak front doors and waited patiently as Filch checked their names off. Overnight, a heavy snow had fallen, making the ground a bright white as the students who were already checked off marched through it on their way to the village, probably to buy a butterbeer from Madam Rosmerta to warm up after their hike.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were midway through the line and talking about what they wanted to do in Hogsmeade.

"Chug back a couple of butterbeers," Ron said firmly.

"The Three Broomsticks is going to be packed," Harry murmured.

"I say we go Christmas shopping," Hermione said. "Then we can go to the Three Broomsticks and chug back a couple of butterbeers."

"Christmas shopping?" Ron groaned. "I hate Christmas shopping."

"Yes, I've noticed you're more of a receiver instead of a giver," Hermione murmured.

"Hey! I give gifts! I've always gotten you two something for Christmas," Ron said.

"That's not what I meant, Ron," Hermione said. "What I meant was that you enjoy getting gifts more than you enjoy giving them."

Ron gave her a disbelieving look. "Who doesn't?"

"I don't. I'd much rather give than receive," Hermione said.

Ron could only shake his head. "You're weird."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Gee, thanks," she murmured and walked out the door as Filch murmured, "Granger, Weasley, Potter…"

"You don't understand the meaning of Christmas at all, do you?" Hermione asked once they started walking across the snow-covered grounds.

"Of course I do," Ron said. "A big fat bloke named Santa gives us all presents." He shot a grin at Harry, who chuckled.

Hermione gave an exasperated sigh. "You're hopeless, Ron, you're completely hopeless."

"I know," Ron said, his grin growing wider, "but you all still love me anyway."

Hermione, smirking, slipped her wand out of her pocket and, with a wave, sent a snowball at Ron.

"Hey!" he yelled, brushing the snow off his chest and then ducking down to retrieve a large amount of snow. After forming it into a ball, he launched it at Hermione, who ducked behind Harry at the last second, causing the snowball to hit him.

"Don't use me as a shield," Harry said, laughing and gathering some snow for himself as Hermione continued to send snowballs after Ron. He then dumped all of the snow he had on Hermione before grabbing his own wand and sending some after Ron.

"Harry!" Hermione screeched, hitting him with a snowball.

"You started it," Harry said with a shrug of his shoulders and then threw another snowball at Ron.

"We are getting soaked," she said, also throwing one at Ron. "Maybe the Three Broomsticks is a good idea."

"Great," Ron said, beaming when he clobbered Harry in the face. "Let's go!"

Harry paused to wipe the snow off of his glasses as Ron and Hermione continued on. Then, as he rushed up behind them, he ducked down and snatched Hermione up by the thighs, forcing her to be carried over his shoulder.

"Harry!" she squealed as she laughed. "Put me down!"

"Fat chance, Snowball Queen," Harry said, chuckling.

Ron grabbed her wand with a cackle. "No more snowballs for you!"

Harry carried her all the way to the gates of Hogwarts, where he finally set her down. She gave him an indignant glare and then a smile before taking her wand back from Ron. "Butterbeers first, shopping later," she said firmly and strode on ahead of them.

Harry and Ron grinned at each other and followed her all the way into Hogsmeade village. Once inside the Three Broomsticks, they ordered their butterbeers and found a table towards the back of the pub that was free.

"So," Ron said after taking a long gulp, "what do you two want for Christmas?"

"There's this book called Ancient Mysteries that I'd really love to read," Hermione said. "It's supposed to be fascinating."

"Maybe for you," Ron said. "Anything else?"

Hermione shrugged. "Sometimes I wish I had a Quick-Quotes Quill when trying to come up with a decent letter to help out S.P.E.W."

Ron rolled his eyes. "What about you, Harry?"

He shrugged. "I'd be happy with some cauldron cakes, chocolate frogs, and pumpkin pasties."

Ron chuckled. "If I'm going to get candy, I'm going to get candy that I can use on other people, like a Canary Cream."

"Ron, you're a prefect," Hermione scolded.

"Yeah, so?"

"So you just can't go and act like Fred and George," Hermione said.

Ron sighed. "Being a prefect isn't any fun."

"Yeah, but you wouldn't trade that badge for anything in the world," Hermione said with a grin before taking another sip of butterbeer.

Harry gulped down the last of his butterbeer. "Okay, if we're splitting up and going shopping, I might as well head out. When do you want to meet back here?"

Hermione checked her watch. "Three-thirty sound good?" she asked both of them.

"Sounds fine," Ron said, also draining his butterbeer.

"Okay. See you two then," Harry said, making sure his cloak was in place and heading out.

He walked down the road for a bit, trying to think of some gifts, when he saw the antiques shop Hermione had dragged Ron and him to during their first visit of the year. As if being pulled by an unknown force, he walked directly over to it and opened the door.

Inside, the same old man, Ludwig Taylor, was stocking some rather fragile looking items onto the dusty shelves. He smiled when he saw Harry enter.

"Mr. Potter, welcome back!" he said happily, quickly shoving the items onto the shelf and walking over. "Can I help you?"

"Erm-" he started and suddenly his eyes fell upon the display case containing the ring that had caught his eye the last time he was in the shop. "I'm looking for a Christmas present for my friends," he said. "How long does it take you to engrave those rings?"

"The rings?" Taylor smiled. "For you, Mr. Potter, I can have them owled to you on Christmas Eve."

Harry smiled. "Well, in that case…"

*****

At 3:25, Harry walked back up High Street towards the Three Broomsticks with a bag in his hand. He was pleased with the items he had bought for his friends and he took a moment to settle down onto a bench and open the bag, congratulating himself for at least one of the gifts.

He looked back up the road and at the white, crystalline snow and grinned. Suddenly, he thought he saw a flash from somewhere. Looking around, he saw nothing but witches, wizards, and Hogwarts students walking by. It must have been his imagination.

Grinning again about the contents of the bag, he got up from his seat and quickly walked over and into the Three Broomsticks, where he found Ron and Hermione sitting at a table, bags sitting underneath them.

"Hey," he greeted, walking over to them and sitting down before stowing his bag underneath his chair.

"Hey, mate," Ron replied as he took a sip of butterbeer.

"Did you have fun?" Hermione asked him.

"Hermione," Ron said in a tone as though he were talking to a six-year-old, "guys don't have fun shopping."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I'll try to remember that the next time I get stuck shopping with my dad."

Ron's eyes widened. "Your dad actually likes to shop?"

"Yes, for certain items, especially for his vegetable garden," Hermione replied.

"How come you never told us your dad has a vegetable garden?" Harry asked.

Hermione turned to Harry with a bemused look on her face. "You never asked," she said simply.

"We have to?" Ron said. "I tell you two stuff about my family all the time. You two practically are family."

"Yes, we're the Weasleys without the red hair," Hermione said with a grin.

Harry leaned over and ruffled Ron's hair. "My older brother," he said with a laugh.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Cut it out," he muttered.

Hermione looked down at her watch. "We had best be getting back to Hogwarts now. Come on." She grabbed her bags from underneath the table. "Wouldn't want to miss dinner, right, Ron?"

At that moment, Ron's stomach gave a loud garble. "Right."

With a laugh, Harry gathered his bag and followed them out of the pub.

*****

The week leading up to the ball went by terribly slow. On Monday, Professor Dumbledore announced that he had booked the famous Singing Sorceress Celestina Warbeck, sending the girls into chatter. On Tuesday, the Polyjuice Potion had completed its month cycle and was ready to be administered.

"Now, go find someone else in the room and trade hairs-and don't even think about it, Mr. Goyle," Snape snapped as Goyle tried to give his girlfriend, Millicent Bulstrode, one of his hairs. "Give your hair to someone of the same gender."

Harry and Hermione looked around, cringing. They were the only two Gryffindors in that class other than one of Hermione's dorm mates. Hermione gave him a pitying look and rushed over to exchange hairs.

"Hey Potter, want to trade?" asked Blaise Zabini from the table in front of him.

"Er-okay," Harry said, holding out his hair and taking the one Blaise held out for him. After he added the hair, his potion turned into a sky blue. Having many misgivings, he pinched his nose and took a swig.

After going through several gut-wrenching minutes where he felt like his skin was being pulled and dragged, he noticed his vision was very blurry, so he took off his glasses and then immediately yelped when he saw himself looking back at him.

"Er-Potter?" the other him asked. "Could I borrow your glasses, please?"

"Er-sure," Harry said and handed over his glasses, in which the other Harry put them on.

"Thanks," he said. "I never knew how bad your vision problems were." He leaned forward and examined Harry. "I need to shave."

Harry looked around very quickly. "Hermione!" he called.

A girl turned and looked at Harry before a look of realization dawned on her face. "Yes, Harry?"

Harry looked from the girl who looked like Hermione, to the other girl and then chuckled. "Do you happen to have a mirror?"

"I do," said the girl who looked like Hermione. She fetched her bag and rummaged through it until she produced a small mirror, which she handed to Harry.

"Thanks," he murmured and looked into it to see Blaise Zabini's face staring back at him.

"It's weird to see me in Gryffindor robes," Blaise said.

Harry laughed. "It's pretty weird to see me in Slytherin robes."

"At one point," came a voice not too far away from them, "they would have fit you well."

Harry, Hermione, Blaise, and the other girl turned to see Theodore Nott standing there with Malfoy right behind him.

"Draco?" Blaise asked. "Did you trade with Theodore here?"

"What, you thought I'd trade with Crabbe or Goyle and have one of their ugly mugs for an hour?" Nott said sarcastically. He scanned Harry up and down. "Y'know Zabini, the only reason why you're in Slytherin is because of your ambitions-the only reason, you pathetic Mudblood."

Blaise glared at Malfoy, which looked very weird as it looked like Harry was glaring at Nott. "We'll settle this later, Draco," he said quietly. "Snape's coming, so you better move along."

Harry looked over just in time to see Snape sweep up the aisle, looking at them. Malfoy and Nott walked away.

"Well, this is a moment I will have to remember," Snape sneered. "The day Harry Potter acted respectfully. Pity it's not the real Potter." He walked away as several of the other Slytherins snickered.

Harry turned to Blaise. "You're Muggle-born?" he asked curiously.

"I am not," Blaise said indignantly. "I happen to be pureblood, but unfortunately, both of my parents happen to be Squibs. They both shamed their families," he said darkly.

"Shamed?" asked Hermione from the other girl's body. "Well that's stupid."

Blaise turned to her and Harry saw a grimace pass over his features. "My mum and dad are resentful of me and my little brother-resentful that we are everything that their parents wanted them to be. We're wizards, they weren't."

"You'd think they'd be happy," Hermione said.

"They're not," Blaise said darkly, silencing the conversation until their hour was up and both Harry and Hermione had their bodies back.

"I never knew about Blaise's parents," Hermione said as they walked out of the dungeons and into the entrance hall where they were to meet Ron.

"Makes me think of Sirius's mum," Harry muttered.

Hermione glanced at him sideways before murmuring, "It's good that you can talk about him."

He frowned. "It still hurts, God knows I'm still in pain, but I'm dealing with it."

"You're coping with it, not moping around and that's good."

"I used to mope," he said quietly, remembering all of those dark times in his bedroom on Privet Drive over the summer.

"I know," she said, just as quietly.

He stopped and faced her in the crowded entrance hall. "I could have lost you that night too."

She nodded slightly. "Yes, you could have. But you didn't, so don't beat yourself up over it, okay?"

He had this urge, this strange urge, to reach out and caress her face, but he squashed that notion the moment it entered his mind. One did not caress the face of their best friend. Not unless they wanted a very awkward moment on their hands.

"Hey you two!" Ron said cheerfully as he walked up to them and clapped on of his hands on their shoulders. "How was Potions?"

"Delightful as always," Harry muttered, turning away from Hermione. "Why couldn't you have been in that class? It would have saved me from being a bloody Slytherin."

Ron cringed. "You were a Slytherin? Oh, mate, I pity you, really, I do."

"So, how was your afternoon?" Hermione asked.

"Er…" Ron turned a brilliant shade of red. "Interesting."

"What?" Hermione asked, a look of amusement etching its way across her face.

"Oh, nothing," Ron said, shuffling his feet.

"What is it, Ron?" Harry asked, feeling his interest rise.

"I-er-got a date for the ball finally," he murmured.

"And?"

Ron frowned. "Promise you won't laugh, okay?"

"Of course we won't, right Harry?" Hermione said.

"Absolutely," Harry replied. "No laughing."

Ron gulped and then whispered, "Luna."

A short, high-pitched squeak emitted from Hermione before she was able to control herself and Harry couldn't help but grin. "Luna Lovegood?"

"D'you know any other Lunas?" Ron said testily, eyeing Hermione shrewdly.

"Nope. Well, congratulations, mate, you've got yourself a date. D'you ask her?" Harry asked.

"No!" Ron shrieked. "I was in the library, trying to find something to put into my Herbology essay that's due tomorrow, because I'm still a couple of feet short when she just…cornered me. Whatever happened to the guy asking the girl?"

Hermione stifled her giggles the best she could. "Oh, that's quite conservative, Ron. Luna's a bit…eccentric."

"She had better not wear that bloody lion hat of hers. Could you imagine?" Ron said, looking aghast.

"I'm sure everything will go fine, Ron," Harry said, still grinning. "It should be a fun night."

"Easy for you to say," he muttered. "You've got Hermione."

At this, Hermione finally let loose her laughter. "How sweet of you, Ron."

"Yeah, yeah," Ron muttered. "Let's go eat."

*****

Wednesday went by as slowly as the first two days. Harry looked at his watch impatiently towards the end of Herbology, but the seconds seemed to take minutes to tick by.

Care of Magical Creatures went by just as slowly, but it was far more tolerable thanks to Hagrid. The weather was still extremely cold, but, as promised, Hagrid had produced some salamanders to help keep everyone warm. The large lizards rolled around in the burning fire happily as the class sat by and drew pictures.

"Are yeh all ready for the holiday?" Hagrid asked them as they packed up their things at the end of class.

"Yep," Ron said happily. "Bed, here I come!"

"Yeh're plannin' ter sleep ev'ryday?" Hagrid asked.

"Yep. Past noon," Ron said, grinning.

Hagrid rolled his eyes. "Teenagers."

Harry laughed. "Can we come and visit you on Friday before the ball?" he asked Hagrid.

"Sure. I was hopin' yeh would actually," Hagrid said with a smile.

"We'll be there, don't worry," Hermione said. "Right after classes are over."

"Well, Harry and I can come down earlier than that," Ron said. "Right after Defense Against the Dark Arts, in fact."

"Yes, don't be gentlemen and wait for me, I'll come down on my own, thanks," Hermione said, rolling her eyes.

Hagrid chuckled. "Yeah, perhaps yeh two ought ter wait for Hermione."

Harry grinned. "Yeah, we can't let anything happen to our answer guide, Ron."

Hermione gave an indignant huff. "A what? Is that all I really am?"

Ron laughed. "Lighten up, Hermione! We're just joking. Come on; let's get back to the castle. See you Friday, Hagrid!"

Hagrid waved as they trudged their way through the snow and back up to the castle, where, the moment they opened the doors, they were greeted by warm, dry air.

Ron let out a huge sigh. "That's better," he said and walked in, followed closely by Harry and Hermione.

"The hearths have probably been tended to by house-elves all day long," Hermione said, frowning.

"And they're happy to do it," Ron said in exasperation. "When are you going to see that?"

"And when are you going to see that house-elves can do the exact same work for payment? When are you going to see that house-elves deserve rights? When are you going to see that their enslavement is wrong?" Hermione said, her eyes blazing.

Harry sighed. "Not today, okay? In fact, could you two stop arguing until the New Year? Could you possibly do that?"

Ron looked quite affronted, while Hermione looked rather ashamed. "Sorry, Harry," she murmured. "I'll try not to have another row with him. Will you try, Ron?"

Frowning, Ron nodded. "Sure. It's only a week. How hard could it be?"

*****

Later on that evening, after a rather exhausting Occlumency lesson, Harry sat down in one of the comfortable armchairs Dumbledore offered.

"How are you doing?" Dumbledore asked him, surveying from behind his half-moon spectacles.

"I'm tired," Harry said, "and I have a headache."

"Which is normal for those learning Occlumency," Dumbledore said simply.

Harry sighed. "Just out of curiosity, besides you and Professor Snape, is there anyone else I know that knows Occlumency?"

"No, although your father considered learning it at one point for his Order work," Dumbledore replied.

"My dad?"

Dumbledore nodded. "He was very serious about his work for the Order, and about his family."

Harry smiled. "And yet he was a troublemaker."

"He wasn't a troublemaker for as long as you think, Harry," Dumbledore said. "If he was such a troublemaker, haven't you ever wondered why he was made Head Boy?"

Harry felt his eyebrows knit together. "Actually, yeah."

Dumbledore grinned. "Your father was a very smart man. One of the most brilliant students to ever grace this castle. But he was extremely mischievous. It wasn't until finally, during his sixth year, did he mature into the man everyone knows and respects. The way he is now in history. He matured so much that even your mother finally took a liking to him-she used to frown upon his behavior. His better performance in school and his transition into manhood could not be overlooked. So, I made him Head Boy."

"So just because he got better grades and matured so much, you made him Head Boy?" Harry asked.

"He always had good grades. It was the maturing that impressed me, and the fact that he calmed down somewhat."

"So you're saying that if I improved my grades and matured, I could become Head Boy, just like my dad?" Harry asked, a look of disbelief on his face.

"Improving your grades would help you, that is true, but you are already a mature individual, Harry. At this point in your life, you are more mature than what James was. But I would not make you Head Boy," Dumbledore said.

Harry blinked. "Why not?"

"Because being Head Boy is quite the burden, and you have too much to think about already. Quite honestly, I had some misgivings about making you Quidditch captain."

"A burden? I doubt being Head Boy would be harder than dealing with the fact that if I don't kill Voldemort, he's going to kill me," Harry said irritably. "I've seen and done more things around this school than any other student. I actually love being captain of the Quidditch team. And besides, isn't the Head Boy allowed to be in the halls whenever he wants? I could use that type of freedom at night, like when I come to these lessons. The other night Filch tried to give me detention for 'being a minute past curfew.' I think I could be Head Boy easily."

Dumbledore sighed. "You do make a substantial case, Harry. And I have been wrong in the past. Just this past June I did tell you that I had every intention to make you a prefect." He looked Harry straight in the eye. "There are no guarantees, Harry. A Head Boy needs some of the best grades in the year and the capacity to be a leader. You fulfill one of those qualifications."

Harry nodded. "But you won't overlook me if I do qualify?"

"No, Harry," Dumbledore assured him. "I won't. That will be all for tonight. Have a good night's sleep."

Harry nodded and, with one last look at the aging professor, left.

*****

Thursday went by as slowly as the previous three days until finally they had reached Friday, in which the whole school started to buzz with excitement. Many could not pay attention as their lessons went on and in the corridors everyone talked about the evening's event.

After the final class, Hermione met Harry and Ron in the entrance hall and they headed out to Hagrid's. Surprisingly, Ron and Hermione had kept their word and had not had one argument since Wednesday, but Harry doubted they would last much longer. There were several moments where they would glare at each other after giving the false impression that they were quite calm in their conversations.

They trudged through the snow and down to Hagrid's hut. When they knocked on the door, Hagrid opened it with a grin. "Hullo!" he said happily, moving aside and letting them in. "I bet yeh're all excited about tonight."

Hermione smiled. "It should definitely be fun. Are you coming, Hagrid?"

"O' course! I wouldn' miss it for the world," Hagrid said, still smiling. "Who are yeh all goin' with?"

Ron sighed. "Luna Lovegood."

"Well, she's a nice girl. Bit quirky if yeh ask me."

Hermione snickered.

"Hermione and I are going together," Harry told Hagrid. "It would be more fun for us that way."

"Really?" Hagrid looked at Harry and then to Hermione. "Well, that's nice. Now, the ball includes dinner, right? I can' remember…"

Hermione nodded. "Just like last time, although I'd hate to think how hard the elves are working for this."

Ron rolled his eyes but, to his credit, said nothing.

"Hagrid, would you sign a petition for house-elf rights if I wrote one up?" Hermione asked him.

"Well-er-s'pose I could. Don' know if it'd make a diff'rence," Hagrid said.

"It must!" Hermione said vehemently. "If only the Ministry would see that house-elves are beings too they would give them rights and proper wages."

Hagrid sighed. "Some people are just stubborn."

And Harry was sure Hagrid wasn't referring just to the Ministry.

*****

They returned to the castle an hour and a half before dinner so that they could get dressed. Hermione had insisted upon it.

"How much time do you need to get ready?" Ron asked, scoffing. "You're just throwing on some dress robes, right?"

"I need to freshen up," Hermione said. "See you both a little later." With that, she marched her way through the common room and to the girls' dormitories.

Ron stared after her. "Women," he muttered and headed towards the door to the boys' dormitory. "Come on, let go get ready. After that we can play some wizard's chess."

"Okay," Harry replied and followed him up.

Within fifteen minutes, both were in their black dress robes and sitting down in the common room again, getting ready to play. Harry ran a hand through his hair. "D'you think I should do anything about this mess?"

Ron gave him an appalled look. "What? D'you think Hermione is going to do much for you? You're only friends, after all."

Harry frowned. "Good point," he replied and prodded his pawn forward.

"I mean," Ron went on as he also prodded a pawn forward, "she'd never go all out for you like she did for Krum."

Although Harry knew he should have known better, he felt rather shocked and disappointed about it for some odd reason. Quickly he chastised himself for his thoughts. Ron's right, we're friends. I shouldn't be expecting anything more, Harry thought as he moved another pawn forward.

They played for a full hour until Lavender and Parvati walked out of the girls' dormitory giggling. "Hey Harry," they both said with knowing looks before walking over to Seamus and Dean, their dates for the evening.

Harry turned and saw his puzzled look mirrored on Ron's face. "What's up with them?" he wondered.

"Dunno," Ron replied. "Must be all of this idiotic Yule cheer."

Several more times the doors to the boys' and girls' dormitories opened and people flooded in and out of the common room. About ten minutes later, Ginny entered the room wearing very nice looking green robes. "Hey Harry, hey Ron!" she greeted. She checked the time. "Ron, shouldn't you be down in the entrance hall to meet Luna?"

"Er…"

"Is Hermione done yet?" Harry asked her.

Ginny grinned. "She'll be down here shortly. Come on, Ron. We can't leave our dates waiting."

She grabbed her brother by the arm and pulled him up. "See you soon, mate," Ron said as he was being dragged out of the room by Ginny.

"Yeah, see you," Harry replied.

After Ron and Ginny left, the common room cleared out, but there was still no sign of Hermione. What was she doing? Harry checked the time. If she didn't get down there soon, they'd be late.

He turned to the fireplace and stared into the warm flames. Suddenly, he noticed his glasses were rather dirty. Taking out his wand, he tapped the tip of it to the lens and said, "Scourgify!" His vision cleared somewhat.

Satisfied, he returned his wand and continued waiting, but he didn't have to wait long. A very quiet voice behind him said, "Harry?"

He turned-and immediately felt his jaw drop. Hermione was standing in the doorway to the girls' dormitory, wearing slightly form fitting midnight blue robes which hung off of curves Harry never knew she had. Her hair was sleek and smooth and done up in a rather articulate knot with two curly tendrils hanging on each side of her face. She also appeared to be wearing a bit of makeup, including lipstick.

"My God," he whispered. "You look beautiful."

She turned a bright crimson. "Thanks," she said. "You look quite handsome yourself."

This time Harry blushed. He stared at her for a few more moments before remembering himself and holding out his arm. "Er-shall we go?"

She walked over and took his arm with a smile. "Sure."

As they walked through the corridors to the Great Hall, Harry noticed that Hermione seemed a bit taller. Looking down, he caught a glance at the reason why.

"You're wearing high heels," he said in disbelief.

She laughed. "What, did you expect me to wear my school shoes?"

Harry grinned. "Well, no. I guess I'm just a little shocked, that's all."

"It was Ginny's idea," she told him. "I wanted to get some flatter shoes, but she insisted. She helped me with the hair and makeup too."

They walked down into the entrance hall where the last of the students were entering the Great Hall. "I don't see why you needed makeup; you look just as nice without it."

Hermione blushed again as they entered the Great Hall, which, as it had been two years ago, was set up with numerous round tables. When they found the one Ron, Ginny, Luna, Justin, and Neville were sitting at, they walked over and joined them.

"Hey Harry! Hi Hermione!" Justin said happily. He was wearing robes of deep red, which brought the color out in his cheeks.

"Hi Justin. Hey Neville, hey Luna," Harry said, nodding to each of them while pulling out a chair for Hermione, who blushed again and murmured a thanks before sitting down.

"Hello Harry," Luna said, her eyes glassy. She was sitting next to Ron and was wearing sky blue robes which highlighted her eyes nicely. Beside her sat Neville, who was wearing robes of deep purple and answered with a "Hullo Harry."

Harry sat down and glanced at Ron, who was staring at Hermione with a look of shock on his face. Hermione appeared not to take any notice.

Within moments, Dumbledore stood up from the staff table and smiled down at them all. "Welcome everyone to what I hope will become an annual tradition. I hear that there is a wonderful feast prepared for all of us, but I hope you all do not fill yourselves to sickness, because afterwards the lovely Celestina Warbeck will join us and you will all have a chance to have a fine evening. So let me not bore you any longer. Tuck in!"

The entire room applauded as plates filled with food. For nearly an hour there was nothing but chatter and the clatter of forks and spoons on plates and bowls. Then, after the food disappeared, Dumbledore stood up, as did everyone else. With a wave of his hand most of the small tables disappeared, leaving about twenty scattered about. The staff table also disappeared and was replaced by a magnificent stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Dumbledore said to the hushed crowd, "it is my pleasure to introduce Ms. Celestina Warbeck."

The crowd cheered as the famous Singing Sorceress took the stage. Within moments, she began singing a ballad.

"Come on, Justin," Ginny said, pulling the Hufflepuff out onto the dance floor, where several people were now converging upon.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna sat back down at their table (it was one that had been spared) and watched everyone dance. After the first song was over, Luna said idly to Ron, "Aren't you going to ask me to dance?"

"I thought you didn't like to dance," Ron said, eyeing her in fear.

"Oh, usually I don't, but I thought it would be nice for tonight. So, are you going to ask me or aren't you?" she asked, her eyes gleaming.

"Er-" He looked like he'd rather do anything but that, yet he cleared his throat and asked, "Luna, would you like to dance?"

She smiled. "I'd love to," she said and took his hand when he offered it. Beside Harry, Hermione was snickering quietly.

"So, you didn't come with a date, Neville?" Harry asked after Ron and Luna took to the dance floor.

"No," Neville replied glumly.

"You should have asked that girl you're interested in," Harry said.

Neville frowned. "She already had a date."

Harry's eyes widened in surprise. "You mean you actually asked her?"

"No," Neville said. "She's got a boyfriend-she's got her date."

Harry frowned. He felt bad for Neville, he really did. "Well, if all doesn't go well with this girl's boyfriend, don't be afraid, okay?"

"Yes, Neville," Hermione said, giving Neville a knowing look. "Maybe she's not aware of your feelings."

Neville only frowned again. Hermione sighed and looked longingly out at the dance floor just as another slow ballad began. Harry gave the floor an apprehensive look before sucking up his nerves and turning to Hermione. "D'you want to dance?"

Hermione smiled brightly. "I'd thought you'd never ask."

They got up and walked over to the dance floor, Harry feeling rather nauseous. "Just to warn you, I've got two left feet."

"That's because you don't know how to dance properly," Hermione said matter-of-factly. "I can help you there."

Harry blinked. "You can?"

She nodded. "Of course. Here, find the beat of the song."

"The beat?"

"Just tap your foot," she said with a grin. Feeling rather foolish, he did. "Ah, perfect," she said and stepped closer, placing her hand in his and then guiding his other hand to her waist before placing hers on his shoulder. "Just move with it now."

Again, feeling rather foolish, he did and Hermione grinned again. "There you go."

"You mean I'm doing this right?" he asked, rocking back and forth to the beat with her.

She nodded with a grin. "For a novice."

He laughed. "Gee, thanks."

"Move your feet a little," she said and he complied, making her smile widen. "See, you can do this."

Before he knew it, the song had ended, as had the next one. As surprising as it was, he found dancing with Hermione as easy as flying a broomstick. He didn't have the feeling of freedom he had whenever he flew, but he felt at peace. Part of him knew that had it been any other girl, he would have been a bumbling idiot. But with Hermione everything was okay, because she didn't have any expectations of him. He was simply her friend, and she was his.

It was exactly what Harry had been hoping for.

As yet another song was sung, Harry looked around at the other people around him. Ron and Luna were dancing not too far away and Ron actually looked like he was enjoying himself. Hunter, Ally, and Dylan were sitting beyond Ron and Luna at a table, chatting merrily. Dean and Parvati were getting some punch; Dean's eyes were trained on Ginny. In fact, his were not the only eyes on Ginny, Harry noticed. Neville was also watching her very carefully. Suddenly realization slammed into him like a Bludger.

"So that's who Neville fancies," Harry whispered fiercely. "It's Ginny!"

Hermione laughed. "You just now figured that out?"

Harry grinned. "Well, I am a little daft sometimes."

And he could have sworn that he heard Hermione mutter, "A little?"

The song ended and Harry took the opportunity to ask, "D'you want something to drink?"

"Sure," Hermione said.

"Okay. I'll go get some punch," he said and headed off towards the punch table. As he was filling up two glasses someone walked up beside him.

"Hello Harry."

Harry turned and met the eyes of Cho Chang. "Er-Hello Cho. Having a nice time?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes. I'm here with Eddie Carmichael, the Head Boy. I couldn't help but notice who you brought. So you two finally started dating," she said.

"What?" he asked, startled. "No, Hermione and I are here as friends. Just friends."

"If you say so," she said and poured some punch for herself. "Have a lovely evening."

Harry frowned and returned to Hermione with the cups of punch. "Would you like to take a walk outside?" he asked.

"Er-sure. It is a little stuffy in here," she said and took her cup when he offered it before following him out of the doors and into the night.

The paths, just as before, were lit with fairy lights. The snow had been magically cleared from the paths and Harry and Hermione found it easy to make their way around on the grounds.

"Is something wrong?" she asked as they walked.

"What? No-I just wanted some fresh air," he said with a smile. "Bit nippy tonight, isn't it?"

"It's winter," she reminded him. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yes. Are you having a good time tonight?" he asked, trying to steer the conversation away from him.

She nodded. "It's been quite lovely."

Suddenly, they could hear two voices from not too far away. Giving each other a pondering look, they quietly walked closer to the voices. Sneaking down low behind a bush, they could see Snape and Frost standing together, both looking highly agitated.

"Still caring a grudge, eh Severus?" Frost said.

"You would know something about caring a grudge, Mara. If possible, yours was worse than mine," Snape said curtly.

"At least I don't take mine out on a kid," she snapped back.

"Oh don't you? I've seen the way you look at Potter-I know what you're thinking."

"That's right," Mara said snidely, "you're a Legilimens. Just a warning, Severus, stay out of my head."

"Believe me, I wouldn't want to look into the depths of your bitter brain," Snape snapped back.

Frost raised an eyebrow. "At least I've found my place. You, one the other hand, flip-flop. But let me tell you this, Severus-once a Death Eater, always a Death Eater. You may not believe this, but the Dark Lord does, and so do I." She smirked. "He'll make you pay one of these days and I doubt it will be pretty."

"At least I've never been to Azkaban," Snape shot back.

Frost paled and her smirk was suddenly replaced with a rather ugly look. "Don't you speak of that. DON'T YOU EVER SPEAK OF THAT!"

Snape sneered at her. "Still hurts, does it? Now, is that the reason why you give Potter the looks of utter loathing, or is it because of her relationship with his father? I mean, you hated Evans for so many reasons."

She scowled and then called Snape something that made even Harry cringe before stalking off. Smirking, Snape headed back towards the castle, leaving Harry and Hermione hiding behind the bush, both looking at each other with shock written all over their faces.