Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Mysteries of Love

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: School starts for me in a week. Horrible, isn't it? I won't be able to spend a lot of time on this. Hopefully I'll have Chapter 19 up before I go back to school, but there are no guarantees. Anyway, thank you so much for reviewing everyone! I really appreciate it. Also, thanks again to Jessica for checking this over for me and a special thanks to Kalie for helping me come up with some names and to Romy and Nitya, my Spanish advisors. Now I know which language I should have taken while in high school. Anyway, on with the next chapter!

CHAPTER EIGTHTEEN

UNSAFE GROUND

June Winters' death was announced the next morning at breakfast by a very solemn Dumbledore, although he did not say how. It was apparent that he understood that it wouldn't take long for the student body to find out about her death, but how she died would not be revealed unless Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, or the staff told. Dumbledore must have spoken to Moaning Myrtle, for not even the ghosts knew how the young Hufflepuff first year died.

The Aurors seemed very upset by the news. The following Monday, Harry walked by the three of them in a corridor as they were discussing the death.

"A little girl is dead! What are we to do?" Crow was saying in his funny accent.

Harry jumped behind a statue and listened closely.

"We have a mission," Frost muttered. "We are to keep Hogwarts as safe as possible."

"Death!" Crow screeched. "Death! That is what has happened here! Hogwarts is not safe!"

"We must figure out how she died," Kingsley murmured. "If we do that then hopefully we can protect the rest of the students."

"There are no clues," Frost said coldly. "We've scanned that loo for prints and they all must have been washed away when that pathetic ghost decided to flood the place."

"And this was done not by the wizard's way," Crow said. "She was stabbed."

"That's probably because if the murderer had done it by wand we could simply use prior incantato and figure out who did it," Frost told him.

"That would take a lot of time," Crow murmured.

"Indeed it would," Kingsley said. "But the fact of the matter is, she was not killed by a spell, she was killed by a blade."

"A blade, which could easily be wiped clean," Frost murmured.

Harry wanted to hear more, but at that moment the bell rang and he realized he was late to his class. He slipped away, making sure the Aurors didn't spot him, and rushed down to Transfiguration, where he apologized profusely to Professor McGonagall.

"I would hope that as you have a watch, Potter, you would be mindful of the time," she muttered as he took his seat next to Ron. "Now, as I was saying before we were interrupted, we will be spending the rest of the term transfiguring large objects into large animals. After the Christmas holiday is over and the second term begins, we will begin human transformation. You will even learn the beginning steps on how to become an Animagus." The class murmured with interest.

She set them to work transfiguring objects into animals. It was very difficult work. Harry was at least able to place spots on the table he was trying to transfigure into a Dalmatian. Hermione was doing the best of them all; her volume of Hogwarts, a History turned into an eagle, although the wings were made out of the pages of the book. She sighed wearily as Professor McGonagall told them to clean up.

Later on that day, Harry sat in the common room, doing his homework when Hunter, Ally, Dylan, and another girl that Harry didn't recognize walked in whispering to each other. Harry listened closely and caught part of their conversation.

"No one's saying how, that's for sure," Dylan was murmuring.

"Maybe they don't know how," the other girl said.

"They do, Laura, they do," Ally assured.

"They're just not saying," Dylan said.

The girl known as Laura frowned. "But why? I mean, if it was just an accident or something-"

"It wasn't an accident," Hunter murmured.

Dylan nodded. "My sister's told me that some pretty dodgy stuff happens here. Like back when she was a second year, she told me something called the 'Chamber of Secrets' was opened and petrified a bunch of people."

"So what happened to June then?" Laura wondered.

Hunter frowned. "I think she was murdered."

"Murdered?" Laura whispered frantically. Hunter nodded grimly.

"But why, and by whom are the real questions," Ally said.

"What do we know about June?" Hunter asked.

"Erm…she was a Hufflepuff first year," Dylan replied.

"And she was Muggle-born, not that that is important. Maybe she was just at the wrong place at the wrong time," Ally said.

"Harry?"

Harry jumped. He turned to see Ron standing next to him. "Sorry," he murmured. "I was wondering if I could borrow your Astronomy book."

"Er-Yeah, sure," he replied. "It's up in our dorm. Come on, I'll go get it for you."

They trooped up the stairs and to their dormitory where they found Neville lying on his bed. "Hey Neville," Ron greeted as Harry fetched his Astronomy book.

"Hello," he said gloomily.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, handing the book to Ron.

"Nothing," he replied.

Harry frowned. "That doesn't sound like nothing."

"What is it, Neville?" Ron asked. "Classes? Teachers? Home life? A girl?" Neville stiffened slightly at the last one and Ron grinned. "So it's a girl?"

Neville didn't make a sound.

"Who?" Ron pressed.

"I'm not telling," Neville replied. "It's not like it would ever work out anyway."

"Well how are you supposed to know unless you try?" Ron asked, grinning.

Neville shook his head. "It doesn't matter anyway-she's already with someone."

Harry frowned. "Well then, Neville, she's obviously got the wrong guy."

Neville sighed. "No one would ever want to go out with me."

Ron looked as though he actually agreed, but Harry shook his head. "I'm sure somebody does, Neville. You just aren't looking hard enough."

"Yeah, Neville, Harry's right," Ron said, looking as though he could barely contain his laughter.

"Yeah, right. You two are just trying to be nice," Neville said sadly.

Ron cleared his throat and said very seriously, "Neville, if you keep that attitude up, you'll never know."

Neville only sighed.

*****

The next afternoon found Harry, Ron, Ginny, and the rest of the Gryffindor team out practicing. In only a week and a half would they be playing Slytherin in the first match of the year. The tension was rising between both Houses. That morning, a Slytherin seventh year had tried to trip Ron down the staircase as they headed to Charms.

"I can't wait to beat those smarmy buggers," Ron growled as they mounted their brooms when practice began.

The first Slytherin attack sent the team into a furious frenzy. It would have been flawless had Andrew Kirke not had been so angry and hit a Bludger so hard it nearly took Katie Bell's head off.

"Careful Andrew!" Harry yelled as he released the Snitch again, waited about ten seconds, and then tore off after it again.

"Sorry!" he called.

By the time Harry and Ron dragged themselves up to Gryffindor Tower, thoroughly exhausted, it was time for dinner.

"Let's just turn ourselves around-no sitting down-and go right back downstairs to the Great Hall," Ron muttered.

At dinner, they slumped down at the Gryffindor table and dished up until their plates were full. Ron then looked at the empty seat next to Harry. "Where's Hermione?" he asked.

His question was answered immediately as Hermione entered the Great Hall with a wide grin on her face. "Hello," she said happily as she sat down next to Harry and began to dish herself up some food.

"Where were you?" Ron asked.

"In the library," she replied.

"Of course," Ron muttered.

His snide comment didn't make the grin on her face falter. "I've come up with an idea for S.P.E.W."

"You what?" Ron groaned.

"I've come up with an idea," she repeated. "I'm going to start a petition-two actually-and then send them off with a letter to the Ministry of Magic."

Ron stared at Hermione, wide-eyed, and then turned to Harry. "She's mad!"

Harry chose not to comment on that and instead asked Hermione, "Why two petitions?"

"One for…well, humans and the other for house-elves," she said. "I figured if I had enough people sign the one petition and got enough house-elves to sign the other, the Ministry couldn't ignore it."

Ron laughed. "Well, good luck with that."

She gave him a wry look. "What are you talking about? You'll be signing it too."

"Me? But-"

"You're a member of S.P.E.W. Why wouldn't you sign it?" she said, smiling at him sweetly.

Harry could see his jaw clench and unclench until he finally muttered, "Fine, I'll sign."

Her smile grew even bigger. "Great! And you, Harry?" she asked, turning to him.

He shrugged. "Yeah, sure, of course I'll sign."

She beamed and hugged him fiercely. "Thank you!"

Harry could only laugh.

*****

The rest of the week went without incident, unless a Gryffindor third year's scuffle with a Slytherin fifth year was to be counted. Harry found the Aurors making rounds after dinner, eyeing anything and everything. Anytime Mara Frost swept past him, she gave him the same cold, hateful glare.

Saturday afternoon, while the Quidditch team was practicing, Harry noticed a dark figure wearing a hood walk into the stadium. Wondering if it was a Slytherin spy, he flew down and yelled, "Hey!" The figure stopped and looked up at Harry as he hovered just above the stands.

"Yes?" the figure asked, removing his hood and revealing himself to be Joaquin Crow, the Auror.

"Er-what are you going here?" Harry asked, a little alarmed that an Auror was in the stadium.

"I am just doing my rounds," Crow replied, but then smiled. "Okay, that's a lie. I'm here to watch the Quidditch practice."

"Why?" Harry asked before he could stop himself.

Crow shrugged. "Because I love Quidditch. I'm looking forward to seeing Gryffindor and Slytherin play next weekend. Should be fun."

"Er-okay," Harry muttered and flew back up to join his team.

The practice went as well as the last one-only a few minor errors that they would work on the upcoming week. Other than that, Harry felt confident.

But that confidence sunk like a stone when Harry saw seven green-clad people walk onto the pitch.

"Time's up, Potter!" yelled the Slytherin captain, Graham Montague.

Harry and the rest of the Gryffindor team landed in front of the Slytherin team. "What are you on about?" Harry asked. "I've booked the pitch for the entire afternoon, as always."

"Not today, Potter," Montague said, sneering. "Our new Chasers need time on our new brooms."

"New brooms?" Ron asked, scowling.

"That's right Weasley," Malfoy said from his spot between Crabbe and Goyle. "Our new brooms. Seven brand new Mercury Silvers. My mum bought them all for us."

"Yeah, because your daddy couldn't," Ginny said scathingly, causing the entire Gryffindor team to laugh.

"Shut your mouth, Weasley!" Malfoy spat.

"Don't tell my sister to shut up, you ferret!" Ron growled.

"Quiet Weasel! I didn't ask you to speak," Malfoy said haughtily.

"Sod off, Malfoy!" Ron snapped back.

"Montague!" Katie Bell screamed. "Get your team away from us now!"

"Nothing I can do, Head Girl," Montague snapped back and the whole Slytherin team snickered.

Harry rubbed his forehead, wishing he could shut them all up. "If only I had my wand," he muttered to himself, "then I could just say 'Silencio' and be done with it."

And suddenly, everyone stopped yelling. Montague grasped at his own throat, trying to speak, but he couldn't.

By this time, Crow had finally reached them. "What is going on?" he asked.

Several people tried to explain, but couldn't because their vocal cords for some odd reason would not produce any sound.

Harry answered for all of them. "Just a misunderstanding," he replied. "But it's all cleared up now. We're letting the Slytherin team take the pitch. We don't need anymore practice anyhow."

The Slytherin team glowered at him.

"Ah, very well then," Crow said.

Harry motioned for his team to head back to the locker room to change. As he headed back himself, Crow walked along beside him.

"You are an excellent flyer, Mr. Potter," he said. "You remind me of my younger brother."

"Your brother?" Harry asked.

"Sí, mi hermano," he replied. "He plays Quidditch too."

"He does? What team?" Harry asked.

"Well, he plays for the Spanish National Team every time the World Cup plays, but normally he plays for the Toledo Toros. He's a damn fine Beater," Crow said, a hint of pride in his voice.

"So you're from Spain?"

"Well, I was born in Spain. My mother, Adelaida Sangre Pura-Crow, comes from a very prominent pureblood Spanish family. My father comes from an English pureblood family. I lived in Spain for three years, but after Mateo was born we moved to London, although we returned to Spain for the summer."

"So, you went to school here, at Hogwarts?"

Crow nodded. "Sí. A Ravenclaw. So I will be rooting for them when they play against you," he said with a smile that showed off his white teeth.

"That's okay," Harry said. "I'm used to getting booed. So was your brother a Ravenclaw too?"

"Mateo?" Crow frowned. "He was only at Hogwarts for a year and he was sorted into Hufflepuff."

"A year?" Harry asked, then realized he was being rude. "Er-sorry."

"No, it is quite alright," Crow said. "My parents divorced after my fourth year at Hogwarts. As Mateo was only a first year, he went to live with my mother in Spain, but as I would be taking my O.W.L.s the next year, Mother said that I would have to stay with my father and take them. Oh how I wanted to return to Spain with my mother and brother. I loved it there."

Harry frowned. "So-erm-what happened?"

"My mother told me that if I received twelve O.W.L.s I could go to the Sombrero Negro School in Spain." He smiled bitterly. "I received eleven."

"So you didn't go?"

"No, I remained in England where after Hogwarts I went into Auror training. I only return to Spain to see my brother play," he said as they reached the locker room. "England, I realized, is where I belong."

Harry smiled slightly as he opened up the locker room door.

"Well, Mr. Potter, it has been a pleasure talking to you," Crow said, extending his hand, which Harry took.

"And you too," he said.

"Well, hasta luego," Crow said, turning and heading back towards the castle.

*****

By the following Wednesday, the weather had turned extremely cold. Many were walking to their classes wearing their cloaks and gloves.

"I hope it warms up a little for this Saturday," Ron said as they crossed the grounds for their Care of Magical Creatures class, his teeth chattering.

Hagrid, thankfully, had a fire blazing for them all outside his cabin. He stood outside with his boarhound, Fang, and next to a large glass case holding several furry insects.

"Ev'ryone here?" he asked, looking around.

"Everyone who is stupid enough to go out in this cold weather," Malfoy muttered.

"If you haven't noticed, Malfoy, you're one of those so-called 'stupid' people too," Hermione retorted.

Malfoy scowled, but Hagrid cut off any chance he had to speak. "Today we'll be studyin' glumbumbles. Now who can tell me what's so special about a glumbumble?"

Hermione raised her hand and said, "A glumbumble produces a fluid that can cause sadness."

"Very good. Five points ter Gryffindor," Hagrid said, smiling underneath his wild beard. "Now, yeh see, glumbumbles will only eat nettles, so that's what we're gonna be doin' today."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione got to work feeding the glumbumbles their nettles along with the rest of the class. Not too far away they could hear Malfoy muttering to Crabbe and Goyle about how much a waste of time the class was. Harry felt a strong urge to hex Malfoy then and there, but Hagrid idled his way over between them.

"How've yeh all been?" he asked.

"Cold," Ron muttered, his teeth still chattering.

"I was thinkin' about salamanders for today, but then I thought that they would be better for the really cold weather, eh?" Hagrid said.

"Good idea," Hermione said, shivering. "I mean, there's not even snow on the ground yet."

"I can' wait for next term," Hagrid said, grinning. "I got this special order comin' in. I think the class will really like it."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all looked at each other with the same expression on their faces-fear. They knew Hagrid's love for dangerous creatures and they only hoped that whatever he was planning wouldn't end up with any of them in the Hospital Wing.

"That's-er-great, Hagrid," Harry said.

He beamed.

*****

That night, Harry laid in his four-poster, bundled up with his mother's diary. He was now reading several entries a night, a desire to connect with his mother growing stronger and stronger each day.

7 February, 1972

The second Quidditch match of the season is drawing nearer and nearer-Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff. I'm hoping, for Gryffindor's sake, that we don't lose like we did to Slytherin, because that seemed to send the entire House into a strange sort of depression. I don't see why a person's happiness should be mandated by the win or loss in a sport. It's quite ridiculous!

We received our marks back from our Dark Arts test. I actually received the highest grade! I'm so proud, although a girl named Mara Frost kept watching me throughout the rest of the class. I don't understand why.

Lily

8 February, 1972

Today is my twelfth birthday! It was a great day too! Even the antics of Potter and Black couldn't dampen my day. Mum and Dad sent me a brand new book and several new clips for my hair. They even bought me color changing ink! The only thing I miss about not having my birthday at home is that there is no cake and I really miss the chocolate cake Mum used to always make for me.

The girls in my dormitory-Belinda Drake, Samantha Fitzgerald, Tabitha Kelley, and Zelda Starling-have all decided to throw me a little party. They're all such wonderful people, Belinda especially. As the year goes on we are becoming more and more like sisters. She's definitely my best friend here. Oh my, the party is beginning…I must go!

Lily

Harry smiled and thought of what he, Ron, and Ginny had done for Hermione for her birthday. Sighing, he placed the diary back underneath his pillow, gathered up more of his blankets around him, and closed his eyes, falling asleep.

He was in a room, a dark room, with a fireplace that did not hold a fire. He was sitting in a chair in the darkness, waiting. What he was waiting for, he did not know.

There was a small knock at the door and Harry said in a raspy voice, "Enter."

A bright light shined through the doorway as it was opened and squinting, Harry saw a bald man enter before closing the door and returning the room to darkness. The bald man trembled.

Harry took out his wand and pointed it towards the fireplace. "Incendio," he muttered and flames erupted in the fireplace, casting some light into the room. "What is it, Wormtail?" he asked.

"Master, they are ready," Wormtail said, bowing.

"Good. Carry on then-it is time," he said and rubbed his forehead. "Now leave me, Wormtail."

"Yes, Master," Wormtail said, continuing to bow as he backed out of the room, illuminating it once more when he opened the door and then returning it back to its state once he closed it.

Harry laughed, high-pitched and cruel and suddenly, Harry awoke, laughing. He would have woken everyone else in the dorm up, but Neville's loud snoring drowned out his laughter. Breathing slowly, Harry calmed himself, but immediately started to worry. Voldemort was up to something and Harry had no idea what it was. Rubbing his aching scar, he tried to think of what it would possibly be, but the more and more the pain in scar dulled, the less and less he remembered. He felt rather weary too and as he wondered about Voldemort's next plan of attack, he fell asleep, only to be shaken awake by Ron several hours later.

"Harry? Harry, come on, wake up! Breakfast started fifteen minutes ago and if you don't get up quick, you'll completely miss it and you'll probably be late for class. Get up!"

"Wha-okay," he said, rubbing his eyes and grabbing his glasses off the nightstand next to him.

"Hurry," Ron urged. "I'll see you down in the Great Hall."

"Okay," Harry mumbled, fetching his school robes.

He dressed quickly and gathered up his supplies for Potions, his first lesson of the day. Then he ran down to the Great Hall and walked in to find everyone in the room pointing at something and murmuring to themselves. Harry walked over and sat down next to Hermione, who was in deep discussion with Ron.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Harry-look," Hermione said, thrusting her copy of the Daily Prophet at him.

Harry read the first headline and felt a jolt of surprise.

BREAKOUT!

The Ministry of Magic announced early this morning that there was a major breech of security and a mass breakout from Azkaban prison.

The breech of security happened when an army of around fifty vampires attacked the Aurors guarding the prison and gained access to the fortress, releasing several prisoners who have been convicted of being supporters of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (called Death Eaters).

Some of the Death Eaters that escaped include Antonin Dolohov, who was sentenced to Azkaban previously for murdering Gideon and Fabian Prewett, Augustus Rookwood, who had been imprisoned before for espionage, Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange, who were convicted previously for the torture of Frank and Alice Longbottom, Judas Flint, who was convicted for the attack last August in Ottery St. Catchpole, and Lucius Malfoy, who was captured last June along with his fellow Death Eaters while infiltrating the Ministry of Magic. Each of them are highly dangerous and if spotted, do not approach them. Contact the Ministry immediately.

This latest breakout has only strengthened the doubts several witches and wizards now have for Cornelius Fudge's capacity to lead. On the rumors arising that he will soon be leaving office, the Minister of Magic chose not to comment.

Ron frowned as Harry finished reading. "The world is in big trouble. You-Know-Who's definitely got his army now."

Harry frowned too, knowing Ron was right. The question was: what was Voldemort going to do with his army?