Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (June 21)
Challenge: Harry or Hermione return from a lengthy trip (6 months+) and is greeted by the other.
Title: Missing You
Word Count: 1,002


Hermione dashed hurriedly around her flat, re-fluffing the pillows and re-straightening the knick-knacks. It was a completely unnecessary task, as the entire place had been spotless for hours, but sitting still made her even more nervous. As she scooted past the kitchen counter, she reached with a shaking hand to once again pick up the note she'd already read twenty times that day.

Hermione,

I just got back this morning and was hoping I could see you. I have a few things to take care of this afternoon, but I'll stop by and see if you're in this evening - maybe around 7:00? I've really missed you, and can't wait to see you! I've got loads to tell you!

Love from,
Harry

After re-reading the note three more times, she set it back down and looked at the clock. 6:45. She still had fifteen minutes to spare, and that was if he was on time…but this was Harry Potter after all.

"You should appear casual and relaxed...not like you're waiting for him on pins and needles," she scolded herself aloud.

With one last look in the mirror, she made her way to the sitting room and pulled a large, well-read book from the shelf. She sat in her favorite reading chair, opened Hogwarts: A History, and settled her eyes on the page, not paying the least bit of attention to the words.

I wonder what he has to tell me? she thought, her mind wandering through the garden of possibilities. I hope he's not going to be leaving again soon. I hope he hasn't decided to move away permanently. I hope he didn't go and get married!

Harry had just spent eight months abroad, consulting with one foreign ministry after another on dark wizard detection and security for wizarding societies. And although they had stayed in touch by owl, their contact had been sporadic, with short little notes saying things like "I've just arrived in Heidelberg," and "Do keep in touch." The owls didn't come nearly as often as she'd have liked. The two hadn't spent more than three months apart since they were eleven years old - nearly half their lives - and these past months had been painfully difficult.

Of course, Harry had left at the most inopportune of times as far as their relationship was concerned. Though they were still best friends, a slight avenue of opportunity and interest had just been opened for them right before his departure.

Mere days prior, Ron and Luna had finally gotten married. And what had started out as a sweet and sentimental slow dance between two best friends at a wedding reception had ended with a more-than-friendly kiss that neither party seemed the least bit regretful about. Perhaps it was the wine, or perhaps knowing they were about to be apart for a good length of time, but before they'd had a chance to talk about it, he was gone. It never seemed appropriate to discuss by owl.

So now she waited nervously, eyeing the clock, wondering if there was any chance he felt about her the way she felt about him. 6:48. 6:50. 6:51.

When the knock came she was visibly startled, and her heart pounded so hard she was sure he would see it beating. She took two deep breaths and reached the same shaking hand out to grasp the handle.

This is your friend…your best friend. It's no big deal.

She opened the door and was met by those striking green eyes, and a huge, warm smile.

"Hi."

"Hi." Oh Merlin, please let me get through this night without jumping all over him.

"I hope I didn't come at a bad time. Were you busy?"

"Busy?" Busy? Was I busy? "Oh…no! Not at all…I'm sorry! Please, come in." Hello…Hermione?! Get a grip, girl...

She let him in and closed the door behind him, her heart still pounding.

"You're early" she said with a smile.

"I am."

"You're never early."

"Things change."

Oh no…he's changed. What else has changed?

"Can I get you a drink?" she asked as they stood somewhat awkwardly near the door.

"No, thanks…I'm fine."

She nodded. Ok, no drink. Now ask him to sit down …

"But…could I maybe have a hug?" he said with a meek smile.

A huge grin crept its way slowly across her face. "Of course."

The two embraced and she'd never in her life felt so happy and scared and excited all at the same time. She was sure he could feel her heart racing.

"I really missed you," he said, holding her tightly.

"I've missed you, too."

With a schoolboy smile he stepped back and held her at arms length, looking her up and down. "Boy, are you a sight for homesick eyes… You look great, Hermione."

She blushed and smiled shyly. "Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself."

He pulled her into another big hug and twirled her around, the two of them laughing. When they finally broke apart, they made their way to the couch and settled side-by-side, each turned slightly to face the other.

"So…"

"So…" He grinned lopsidedly.

"Good trip back?"

"It was fine."

"Good."

"And you? What have you been doing while I was away?"

"Oh, you know me…work and more work. Tell me about your trip."

"What's to tell?" he said with a smile.

"Don't ask me. You said you had 'loads to tell me.'"

"I've forgotten."

She laughed. "You've been back twelve hours, and you've forgotten what you did for the past eight months?"

He nodded. "Well…I spent most of the time missing you." His smile grew even wider, and Hermione's heart leapt to her throat.

She felt somewhat reassured as her fears of him changing turned to butterflies about what was happening between them. He hadn't changed a bit. He was still Harry - Harry, the boy she'd grown up with…Harry, the guy she'd been best friends with…Harry, the man she was in love with…Harry, the man who was…kissing her?