Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (June 9)
Challenge: Quidditch Match at The Burrow: Hermione plays too, and she's good at it!
Title: Apple Charms
Word Count: 1,050


Harry stood with his hands in his pockets, overlooking the makeshift pitch where he and the Weasleys played Quidditch as kids. The fog was floating just feet above the dewy grass while the sun set behind the trees surrounding the paddock. A cool breeze ruffled his hair, and he silently thanked Hermione for having the foresight to hand him a jumper before he went out. Being back at the Burrow was comforting, in the 'cup of hot chocolate and a warm fire' kind of way, but Harry couldn't help feeling something was missing.

He strolled out to the middle of the pitch. A half-eaten apple core lay on the ground, evidence of yesterday's game, and he laughed as he kicked it. They still weren't allowed to use real equipment, but the new generation of Weasleys was as Quidditch-crazy as their parents. Harry felt quite sure that in a few years a handful of Weasleys would be playing for Gryffindor.

Standing there brought back a wash of memories he hadn't thought about in years, and he smiled. It seemed like only yesterday that he, Ron and the twins were flying around, tossing apples back and forth. He could picture Hermione off under a tree, reading as always, and Ginny, begging her brothers to let her have a go.

He closed his eyes and imagined the shouts of his friends as they whizzed by on their brooms: "Block it, Ron!" "Ginny! Behind you!!" "Harry's got the snitch! We win!!"

"Fancy a game?" a voice called.

Startled, he quickly turned around to see who was there, but he already knew. He could barely see her silhouette coming toward him through the darkness that encompassed the trees, but he could never mistake that voice. Hermione stepped into the moonlight and made her way to the center of the pitch.

"Hi," he said with a smile, and he put an arm around her. "I was just reminiscing."

She didn't say anything, but leaned her head against his shoulder.

"I haven't played in so long," he continued, "and it used to be such a huge part of my life. I loved that feeling, flying around up there. I never knew how much I'd miss it." He lost himself in his memories again, thinking of the years playing at Hogwarts.

"Well," she said, finally breaking the silence, "come on, then. Let's play."

"It's too dark," he said nonchalantly. Then his brow furrowed and he glanced sidelong at her. "And what do you mean, 'let's play?' You don't like Quidditch."

"I don't?" she asked, smiling. "Well you should have told me sooner! I could have spent all those hours studying instead of cheering you on!"

Harry laughed and looked at her with astonishment. After all this time, his best friend was still full of surprises.

"I brought a couple of brooms," she said, pulling out her wand, "and some apples." With a wave they came zooming out from the trees.

"But I thought you hated flying…."

"Yes…well, you also thought I didn't like Quidditch, didn't you?" she said. "Believe it or not, there are still things you don't know about me."

"But how can we play with just two of us?"

"I've already thought about that. I charmed this apple to fly, like a snitch…regulation guidelines," she said, handing it to him. "As long as it's in the pitch, the game is on. But if it goes out of bounds the charm will break and it'll fall to the ground. We'll see who can get it first; Seeker against Seeker."

"But without light?"

She reached in the pocket of her coat and pulled out a large canister. With a twist of the lid, a thousand fairy lights fluttered out, scattered themselves, and hovered over the pitch.

He looked at her with raised eyebrows, then let the apple go. Just like a snitch, it levitated in the air a moment, then zipped off, flying madly around the pitch.

"Brilliant," he said and smiled.

For an hour or more they flew around, chasing each other and catching the apple. Harry wasn't sure if he was just out of practice, or if it was possible that she really was better than him, but he was surprised at how often she beat him to it. What surprised him even more was her agility and speed. He couldn't remember seeing Hermione fly very often, and she had never appeared very comfortable on a broom, but the way she was moving now was like an old pro.

Back and forth they chased the apple, and every time she got in front of him she would turn back and smile, laughing and urging her broom to go faster. It was the most fun he'd had in as long as he could remember. He'd known Hermione half his life, but seeing this side of her that was fun, and flirty even, but still clever and competitive as always, was almost like meeting her again for the first time. Maybe it was the freedom she'd just truly discovered, or the competition and excitement of their game…or maybe even the soft glow of the fairy lights and the way her hair was blowing in the wind…but something about her struck Harry about that moment.

After she'd caught the apple once again, they decided it was time to head back to the Burrow. They walked slowly, talking about Ginny and Neville's upcoming wedding, how much the children had all grown, and silly names for Ron and Luna's newest addition-to-be.

When the house came into sight, Harry felt almost sad. He had enjoyed the time with Hermione so much, and something in him didn't want it to end. In the morning she was heading back to London, and though they saw each other often, it was always just for lunch here, or dinner there.

"Thanks," he said as they entered the house. "It was fun."

She smiled and nodded to him, seemingly at a sudden loss for words.

"Maybe when we get back…well, we should spend more time together. I've really missed you."

"I'd like that," she said softly. "I've missed you, too."

He said goodnight and kissed her on the forehead, then made his way to his room, feeling whole and content for the first time in his life.