Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (July 7)
Challenge: Sequel Week: A proposal...
Title: Moonlight Promenade (Sequel to Sunset)
Word Count: 1,013


"Harry, where have you been? I was so worried!" Hermione threw her arms around Harry and he pulled her into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry, love," he said, giving her a kiss on the head. "I had a few errands to run and I didn't realize how late it had gotten." They separated and he stepped into her entry hall. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yes, I'm starving!" she said with a smile as he helped her into her coat.

"You look amazing." He wrapped his arms around her from behind. "If I weren't so hungry I'd say we should skip dinner."

She leaned her head back and closed her eyes as he nuzzled her neck. "Tempting…very tempting…"

"But," he said a few seconds later as he pulled away and took her hand, "we've had these reservations for two weeks and I'd hate to miss out some good Greek food. Plus we'd best eat something substantial so we have plenty of energy later." He gave her a sly smile and a wink as he guided her out the door.

She smiled back and nodded her agreement, and they left for the restaurant. It was a very exclusive place and the couple enjoyed every minute of their very expensive meal. When they'd had their fill, Harry offered his arm to Hermione and led her off to a yet-unnamed destination.

"The Leaky Cauldron?" she asked as they made their way toward the pub's entrance from Muggle London.

"No."

"Hmm…Fortescue's?"

"Nope," he smiled. "Guess all you want, but you'll never figure it out."

"Oh really? Is that a challenge?"

He laughed. "No, and I take it back! How could I forget who I was dealing with? Of course you'll figure it out…you're the smartest girl in our class. However, it would appease me, and my many days of planning, if you didn't guess straightaway."

"You've been planning for days?" she asked with intrigue. "Must be very good then. I just thought we'd go to a movie or something."

"A movie?" Harry scoffed. "My girlfriend deserves much more than a dinner-and-a-movie date on our third anniversary!"

Hermione smiled. "I won't argue with you there."

They crossed through to Diagon Alley, and Harry stopped Hermione just on the other side of the brick wall.

"Close your eyes," he said with a mischievous grin.

"I'm not sure if I should when you have that look on your face!" she laughed. She closed one eye, but kept the other open to peek at what he was doing. Harry dug into his pocket and pulled out a small piece of cloth.

"Ah-hah!" he said and chuckled when he saw her peeking. "I knew you couldn't do it, which is exactly why I brought this." He held up the cloth and she realized what it was. Reluctantly she let him tie the blindfold over her eyes. Once it was secure, he wrapped his arms tightly around her and with a pop they Disapparated.

"Where are we?" she asked, reaching for the blindfold when they appeared at their destination.

"Leave it," he said, pulling her hand away. "Come on." He started to lead her up a road and she stumbled a little.

"Harry, I can't see!" she protested.

"Precisely. That's the point. Just hold on to me. I won't let you fall, or lead you into a wall or anything…too painful," he joked.

"Funny," she said sarcastically. She circled her arm through his and put her other hand on his shoulder to keep balanced. "It's got a familiar smell…"

"Really? How interesting..."

"You aren't going to give me any clues?" she asked as they walked.

"None at all."

They went on for a while before she asked, "Why didn't we just Apparate directly to this place? Too many Muggles around?"

"Maybe. Do you really want to know?"

She thought for a moment. "No, I suppose I don't. How much further is it?"

"We're nearly there."

True to his word, Harry stopped her just a few minutes later. He took the blindfold off and she blinked, adjusting her eyes to the moonlight. She looked around and immediately knew where they were.

"Hogwarts," she said and smiled.

"I thought it'd be nice to take a walk around the lake."

"It'd be perfect."

She held his hand and they strolled casually around the sparkling water's edge.

"You never did say where you were earlier," she said a little while into their walk. He didn't answer immediately.

"I went to see my parents."

"Oh..." She clasped her free hand around their entwined fingers. "Is everything ok?" she asked with some concern.

"Everything's fine," he said, smiling sweetly. "I just hadn't been in a while, and thought I should."

She nodded. "You usually go when you've got something difficult going on, or a big decision to make."

He paused, and she halted in her tracks next to him. "Let's sit," he said, leading her nearer to the water. He took his coat off and spread it onto the ground for them to sit on.

"Hermione," he started, looking out over the lake. "I've been doing a lot of thinking…about us." He stuck his hand in his pocket and fidgeted with the ring. She looked at him curiously.

"I have to honestly say that when we first started dating, I was afraid we were going to lose a part of our relationship - our friendship - and that terrified me. I had no idea that friendship could grow into something even better. And I had such a crush on you. It was pathetic, really, the way I'd get butterflies in my stomach whenever I saw you. But the thing is, I still get butterflies when I see you." He looked up and saw her blush, smiling shyly.

"Harry, that's so sweet."

He pulled his hand from his pocket and took hers. "I was kind of hoping to find out if I'd still get butterflies when we're a hundred."

She laughed quietly. When he held the ring up between them, her face fell in surprise.

"Harry?" she gasped.

"Hermione…will you marry me?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A/N: I know, I know...another cliffie. Well, it's not really, but I know you guys, and you're going to want to see what happens next, so I will try my best to work it in somewhere. :)