Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (June 28)
Challenge: A look at Harry & Hermione through someone else's POV.
Title: Worth a Thousand Words
Word Count: 1,000


Looking back through the years, it seems it really was there all along. It's just that most of their friends and classmates knew them so well they didn't even see it. Not at first, anyway. And that's easy enough to understand. As you'd expect from anyone at their age, the whole group went through various phases of friends and enemies, crushes and heartaches, changing as often as the staircases at school.

However, through all of the change, one thing was constant. I always claimed that I was the first to really notice. That may or may not be exactly true. But how could I not notice? I had a unique view of the whole situation.

In the early years they were friendly, loosely wrapping an arm around the other's shoulder, or laughing and smiling as one or the other said something funny. Then as time went by they would stand a little closer together, wrapping their arms a bit more protectively, even resting their head against the other. It wasn't altogether unusual to catch them holding hands now and then, or to capture that sparkle in their eyes when they were together.

Over time I think it became clear to everyone, even those who had their hearts broken as they realized that nothing else was more meant to be, and they'd never have their chance to the girlfriend of the Boy-Who-Lived, or the boyfriend of the smartest witch in school. No one ever talked about it. No one ever bothered to tell them what we all saw. We just watched and waited, choosing not to interfere with the natural order of things. And of course, though it seemingly took forever,they eventually figured it out. And just in time.

As I look out over the group that has gathered today, I see so many familiar faces. Isn't it amazing that all of these faces are here because of the love shared by two people? Because in fact, the truth is we might not have had the chance to be here at all if it weren't for the love shared by these two, and the sacrifices made on that fateful night. We owe the survival of our world to them, and to their love.

I have a favorite memory of them. It was no extraordinary event - though Merlin knows they shared plenty of those; it was just a random day in the life of a Hogwarts student. They were out in the courtyard between classes, basking in the last bit of autumn's sunshine. I didn't hear the conversation, but it doesn't really matter what they were talking about. Even without words it was obvious. They were in love, although they hadn't admitted it to one another yet…and probably not even to themselves. But I can see it all quite clearly.

She's holding a few books, leaning against the half-wall that surrounds the yard, and she's looking at her feet, chewing on her lip in concentration. Her hair and cloak whisp lightly in the breeze, and the morning sun is shining right on her, casting a halo around her golden-brown locks.

He's standing next to her, talking to her. He must have been telling a story of some sort. He starts off casually, but then he becomes more animated. She looks up and laughs at something he's said, and as she turns her head they lock eyes. And it's at that moment you can tell.

Her smile fades for just a moment, and her eyes change. I can't tell if it's a look of surprise, or intrigue, or maybe even fear, but it's as if she's just realized something, something of great importance. But then just as quickly as it left, her smile comes back and she laughs again, breaking their gaze.

His smile, on the other hand, is much easier to read. He's just made her laugh and it's the best feeling in the world to him. Call it male instinct or what have you, but I can tell. He watches her expectantly when he finishes talking, and as she turns her head and they lock eyes, his face softens. His eyes, which were so often hard and emotionless, are suddenly full of life. In that moment he has forgotten all his hardships, all the pain, and the ever-nearing danger. For that moment he's lost in her. He doesn't look away until she breaks their gaze, laughing for the second time. Then he starts talking again.

It only lasts about ten seconds, but those ten seconds I'll remember for the rest of my life. Because of those ten seconds I've learned what true love really looks like. I've watched the scene so often it's ingrained in my memory.

Of course, it's easy to remember when you have it right in front of you. And who knows…maybe one day a girl will look at me that way, and I'll feel the same about her. But, as much as I have cherished this memory in silence, I'm even happier to share it with you all today.

So with my deepest gratitude, Harry and Hermione, I'd like to present to you on this special day - on your wedding day - this photograph, which only begins to capture the love you share. I hope you'll forgive me for intruding on your moment together so many years ago, but you should have known that anywhere on school grounds was fair game. After all, everyone knows that where I go, my camera goes.

I thank you for allowing me to share in this day with you, and I wish you nothing but the brightest and happiest times the future can hold. A toast to Mr. and Mrs. Potter - to many more secret jokes and secret smiles.

"Very touching, dear. They'll be so pleased. Although I might speak a little slower if I were you."

"Oh, hush, will you? When I want advice from a talking mirror, I'll ask. Some of these things wizards think up…"