Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

This chapter was automatically imported from the story archive available on /r/HPharmony.

Please report any issues by using the Report as broken button!

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (July 19)
Challenge: Musical Week: Theme- Action/Mystery/Suspense/Horror Scene
Challenge Conditions: Using the daily theme, choose a scene or song from any musical you like (stage or screen) and rework it using our favorite characters.
Title: Do You Hear The People Sing?
Word Count: 1,058


Hogsmeade - June 12, 1998

The village of Hogsmeade had been taken over by Death Eaters. The Dark Lord's minions had run the townspeople out, and those who refused to leave were killed. Their intent was to close in on Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, one of the largest sources of "dirty blood," and sanctuary of the boy who was prophesied to take down their leader - Harry Potter.

Many of the people of Hogsmeade retreated to Hogwarts and were taken in by Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster and leader of the Order of the Phoenix. In an effort to keep the Death Eaters at bay, the faculty, staff, students and townspeople barricaded the front gates and grounds of the castle with a conglomeration of spells and wards; everything they could muster the strength and magic to cast around the borders of the school. The area was patrolled 24 hours a day by volunteer groups of the school's residents, who changed out in shifts and spent their time casting and recasting the barricade of protections.

As the moon rose over the grounds of Hogwarts, the mists began to encompass the school, bringing an eerie glow to the scene. At ten o'clock the patrol shift changed. The volunteers who came off patrol gathered around bonfires, joining in the camaraderie that kept their spirits alive. One group told jokes and stories to lighten their moods, while another sang songs of courage and victory.

Harry, feeling a deep guilt that these people were gathered here in part because of him, rarely slept at night, and spent most of his evenings walking the grounds. On this particular night he was joined by his girlfriend, Hermione Granger, and best friend, Ron Weasley. They strolled quietly, stopping now and then to talk to some of the volunteers and offer words of encouragement.

One young man, a Muggleborn who hadn't seen the generations of suffering or felt personal loss at the hands of the Dark Lord, was disheartened by the tales of cruelty and indecency of the Death Eaters. He approached Harry and his friends, seeking their advice on joining the battle. Harry invited him to walk with them, and to meet the people who had seen the days when Voldemort was in power.

They approached the second bonfire, where students and townspeople were singing, their songs growing louder and angrier as the night went on.

"Do you hear that?" Harry asked, stopping the young man. Ron and Hermione stopped as well, concentrating on the harmonious sounds that filled the grounds. "They're singing; these people who are so hurt and angry are singing. It's a rally cry. They've come together to fight, to tell Voldemort that they will not be his slaves again."

"But where does their courage come from?" the young man asked. "I know what he's doing is wrong, but I'm just not sure I'm good enough, or strong enough to stand up to him."

"You have to do what your heart tells you to do," Harry said, putting his hand to the boy's chest. "When you're ready, you'll know. You'll feel it beating in your chest like the drums of war that call us to fight. It's not that we want war. But as long as Voldemort is alive, he will try to oppress those that he feels are not worthy to be equal with pureblood wizards; House Elves, goblins and all magical creatures, Muggleborns and half-bloods. That's me, and Hermione, and many of your friends…and you."

The young man's face sank.

"Until Voldemort is destroyed, we will never know the kind of freedom that we all deserve. If we take him down, we'll have the chance to experience all that life has to offer us. When we take him down, tomorrow will be a new day for the wizarding world."

"We need you," Ron said, putting a hand on the young man's shoulder. "This war can't be fought by a handful of people. You are strong, and when you're ready, we want you to join us. You won't be alone…you'll be standing alongside me, and Harry, and Hermione, and all of these people you see here. Don't you want to see a life outside of Hogwarts?"

The boy nodded.

Hermione kneeled down in front of him. "This battle will give us all the right to be equal, to be happy, to be free."

A loud uproar came from the group of singers. They cheered, throwing arms up into the air, and started a new chorus that echoed off the walls of the castle.

"Listen to them," Harry said. "Think about your future. We'll be proud to fight by your side, but don't join us halfheartedly. Giving part of yourself to this war means giving all of yourself. I won't lie; some people will die for this cause, and it could be any of us, but the lives that are lost will never be forgotten. They will be martyred as heroes who fought to make a difference in the world. And some of us will live on, and band together to make tomorrow a better day for generations of wizardkind to come."

The boy stood silently for a moment, watching the people who sang around the bonfire.

"Can I…can I go over there?" he asked timidly.

"Of course," Hermione said with a smile.

"I just want to see."

"You're one of us, whether you fight or not," Harry said reassuringly. "Just do what you feel is right for you. Talk to them, listen to them, and then you can decide."

The young man nodded.

"Ron, will you…?"

"Sure," Ron said, and led the boy to the bonfire.

"It's not fair," Harry said when the two were a good distance away. "He's so young. He should be deciding what to do after class, and what sweets to buy at Honeydukes, not whether or not to join a war. I hope I didn't talk him into anything..."

Hermione wrapped her arm around him comfortingly. "You're a brave leader, Harry. Your words were honest, and he'll do what his heart tells him to. That's the reason each one of us has joined you. We're following our hearts, and we'll stand by you until the end."

She looked up at him, her eyes a mixture of sadness and love. "I'll be at your side, Harry, no matter what."