Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (June 24)
Challenge: Harry & Hermione deal with their fame in the wizarding world.
Title: Ice Scream
Word Count: 1007


Harry walked briskly down Diagon Alley with his hands in his pockets, smiling at the friendly faces he passed. It was a warm and sunny day - at least for London standards - and for once he was completely care-free. He'd taken the day off work, just because he could, and after a brief stop at Quality Quidditch Supplies to see the newest broom, the Nimbus Millennia, he hurried on his way to meet Hermione for their usual Friday afternoon lunch date.

He found her waiting for him in their favorite eating spot, and joined her for a quick meal. They didn't stay long, as she was on her break from work, and within twenty-five minutes they were wandering back up Diagon Alley.

"I've got to pick up some books from Flourish and Blott's," she said as they passed Gambol and Japes joke shop. "Want to come along?"

"Why not? I haven't got anything else to do today," he said teasingly.

She grinned and stuck her tongue out at him and led the way up the street. They strolled along, looking in windows and sidewalk displays, but as they approached Florean Fortescue's he stopped.

"Let's get some ice cream."

"I suppose I have time," she said, looking at her watch. With a smile she added, "Your treat."

He had just reached out to open the door for her when something caught his eye. He froze mid-reach, and as his eyes grew large his jaw nearly hit the sidewalk. Hermione looked at him curiously, then glanced at the object that had captured his attention; a sign was hanging in the window of the ice cream shop.

The *Official* Unofficial Harry Potter Fan Club
~ First Meeting Today at 1:00 ~
Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor
Diagon Alley


"Oh my," she said, trying adamantly to stifle a smile. "Now that is ridiculous, isn't it? Not that you don't deserve to have a fan club, mind you. But really...what are they going to do? Talk about what color socks you wear and where you park your broom?"

"Let's go," Harry said quickly, turning around to leave.

"No, wait!" she laughed, grabbing his arm. "Let's stick around and see what it's about."

"I don't want to."

"Oh, come on! Aren't you just the teensiest bit curious?"

"No, I'm not. And I don't want to be here when they…"

He was interrupted by a noise that sounded dreadfully like the chirping of a hundred baby chicks.

"I hate to tell you, Harry," Hermione whispered, pointing to a gaggle of young girls who were moving as one mass toward the shop, "but here they come now."

Harry groaned.

"Look," she added with a snicker. "They've even got badges with your picture on them!"

"Over here!" he said grabbing her arm and dragging her to the furthest corner table.

She was still watching the girls as he pulled her away. "I wonder if I could buy one of those," she said, putting on a dreamy voice.

The girls assembled at several outdoor tables, chattering animatedly. Minutes later a short brunette witch stood up and tapped her wand on the top of her table.

"May I have your attention please? I call this meeting to order. My name is Tawny and I am the president of the *Official* Unofficial Harry Potter Fan Club." The girls screamed and swooned at the mention of his name.

"This is Mary-Sue, our recording secretary," Tawny said, motioning toward a gorgeous blonde with striking blue eyes and a dazzling smile.

"She looks familiar," Harry whispered to Hermione.

A small redhead raised her hand. "Why are you the president?" she asked snidely.

"I was actually at school with Harry," Tawny replied with the utmost importance, "and he was in my house, so I have the most connections to him. Now, we need to set a meeting time for when we get back to school…"

"They're going to meet at Hogwarts?" he asked with a frown. "I really hope Snape doesn't find out."

"Ooh, no…you'll never hear the end of that," Hermione teased.

The girls carried on and Harry grew more and more frightened by the minute. Hermione, however, seemed highly amused.

"…black when he's wearing dress robes, white when he's wearing jeans…"

"They are talking about your sock color!" Hermione laughed as the girls' discussion turned to his attire.

"This is too much," he said, putting his head in his hands.

Five minutes later, the conversation turned again.

"…and Mr. Fortescue assures me that Harry sat at this very table on several occasions," Tawny said, her hands lovingly caressing the mosaic-tiled top, "In particular, during the week before his third year of school, he sat here nearly every day, eating ice cream sundaes and working on school essays."

There was a general "oooh" from the girls. Mary-Sue scribbled notes on her parchment.

"I've had enough," Harry said with a groan, and with a pop he was gone.

Hermione smirked and stood to leave; despite how amusing this was, she still had books to get before returning to work. However, the noise of Harry Apparating had drawn the girls' attention.

"Is that…Hermione Granger?!?" one girl shrieked.

"Oh, Hermione!" Tawny called to her, as if they'd been best friends. "You must join us and tell us all about Harry."

"I'm afraid I'm in a bit of a…hurry," she said, trying not to laugh. After all, she'd once fancied Gilderoy Lockhart. "Must get back to work…"

The girls' made a collective "awww" of disappointment.

"Can't you at least tell us something we don't know about him before you go?" Tawny asked, batting her eyelashes sweetly.

Hermione grinned in spite of herself, and after thinking for a moment, she leaned over to Tawny. The girls swarmed in around them, and with all seriousness Hermione whispered one word: "Boxers."

The girls squealed with delight while Mary-Sue's quill scratched furiously. Hermione stood, covertly snatching a flyer off the table as she made her way to the bookshop.

"Glad they didn't ask where he parks his broom…"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A/N: Please forgive my twisted sense of humor of adding myself as the fan club president and "Mary-Sue" as the recording secretary (or the one who writes it all down.) Oh, and for the "where he parks his broom" comment. ;)