Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Writing Series Challenge: Tawny's Responses

Tawny Spitfyre

Author's Note: These stories are all one-shot, 1000-word responses to the Summer Writing Series Challenge, so each one is not related to the next.

Summer Writing Series Challenge (June 10)
Challenge: A Late-Night Talk at the Burrow
Title: The Last Night of Summer
Word Count: 1,000

"Hermione?" a voice called through the warm night air. "Hermione? Are you out here?"

She didn't answer immediately; it was kind of nice being alone. She was laying back in the grass, taking in the magic happening all around her…the noise of the gentle breeze mixed bewitchingly with the soft sounds of summer's bugs and beasts, while the twinkling stars overhead cast a spell of their own -- it was like all the witches and wizards from days past were looking down over her, each providing her light and guidance with a lumos-tipped wand. It gave her a feeling of peace rarely found at home or at school.

"Hermione," the voice said gently, "I want to talk to you."

Silence.

"Hermione…I know you're here somewhere…."

Knowing that she couldn't hide forever, she resigned to let herself be found.

"I'm over here, Harry."

She heard the soft noise of feet on grass, and felt more than saw him sit next to her. She was still gazing up at the stars, focusing on her favorite constellation.

After a few moments of silence, he asked, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she replied, her voice a little too sterile. She wasn't sure he'd believe her…but in truth, she wasn't sure she wanted him to believe her.

"Hermione, I know you better than that. You don't just slip unnoticed out of a last-night-of-summer party at the Burrow because you want to gaze at Andromeda. I could tell all night that something was bothering you."

A minute passed before she answered. "It's going to sound so silly. I suppose it is silly."

"You know you can tell me anything."

She sighed and sat up. Trying to ignore her pride, she gathered her Gryffindor courage. "Well, things have just changed so much since the end of last year, haven't they? I mean, you're finally leaving the Dursleys', and we're getting ready for N.E.W.T.s…and then there's Ron and Luna." She bit her lip and stared up at the stars.

"Oh," Harry said softly. "So that's what this is about."

They sat quietly for a few moments, with only Hedwig's hooting to break the silence.

"I know we're all growing up," she said finally, "and Ron's grown up quite a bit over the past year. I just never expected…." She stopped and looked down at her hands, which she just realized she had been wringing, and picked up a dandelion. "I just hadn't really expected this."

Harry nodded. "It's hard to watch someone you…," he paused, "…well, someone you have feelings for…it's hard to watch them be interested in someone else," he said, matter-of-factly. "Very hard."

Hermione looked up and let out a quiet laugh. "But that's just the thing. I don't have feelings for him…not really. No more than I have for…well, no more than a girl should have for a close friend."

She heard Harry let out a deep breath.

"You don't want to date Ron?" he asked calmly, his voice riddled with confusion.

"No. I mean, I suppose at one point, a few years ago, I had just a bit of a crush on him…but it didn't take me long to figure out that we'd never work out," she laughed quietly. "No, I got over that long ago."

She plucked at the dandelion, thinking. "I guess I always thought that he was still harboring a crush on me. And I liked that." She shrugged. "I know it's silly, and it's wrong. I should be happy for him. They're a cute couple. But I'm going to miss the attention. Girls like me don't have guys crushing on them very often."

"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Harry said softly, nudging a rock with the toe of his shoe.

"You're sweet, but you don't have to say that just to make me feel better." She smiled and nudged him with her shoulder. "But thanks for listening. I do feel better…if not slightly embarrassed," she said with a laugh.

"You don't need to be embarrassed around me."

"I know," she said quietly. "Besides, tomorrow we'll be back at school, and we'll begin studying for N.E.W.T.s, and before long I'll have forgotten all about it. It's really nothing. But that's just one of the joys of being a girl…this uncanny ability to completely overanalyze things and make a big issue of nothing." She laughed again.

"Guys can overanalyze things just as well as girls," he said, smiling slightly. "And I'm sure it is nice to have someone show interest in you…in who you really are and not what people think you are. I can only imagine how it would feel to lose that affection."

"Yes, well, particularly when it's the only person who's ever showed you affection."

"I know of one other person who's had feelings for you for a long time," he said, reaching out to take hold of her hand. "He's just been hiding them."

"Oh, is that so?" she asked, grinning with disbelief. "And who would that be?"

He didn't answer, but just looked her in the eyes, not faltering for even a second.

"Oh," she breathed, her face falling from grinning to shocked.

"Hermione, I…I'm sorry if I'm out of line. I hadn't planned it this way…I hadn't planned it at all…but I need to tell you before it's too late. I don't know what's going to happen this year, and I couldn't live…well…I just want you to know that…that I love you...as more than a friend."

"Harry, I…" she began, but he interrupted her.

"No, it's ok," he said, shaking his head. "I know you don't feel the same way. But I had to tell you. I just hope this won't mess up our friendship, or make things too awkward."

As he looked at her face, a tear ran down her cheek.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, letting her hand go.

She reached over and intertwined their fingers, then rested her head against his shoulder.

"I'm in love with you, too," she whispered.