Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Final Moon by RowlingIdol
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Final Moon

RowlingIdol

Chapter 33

Dedicated to: People!!!!! YAY!!!!!! Okay, I'll shut up now.

Note: Next to last chapter. Please read the epilogue stories when they're up. It will explain everything that happened after 'Final Moon'

Ginny was writing a reply note to the one she had received, yet again in the middle of the night.

'Draco,

I didn't know you had a sister. Or had had a sister. What happened to her? There was meeting today in the Great Hall. They're awaiting the duel. Come back in one piece.

Ginny'

She knew the last part wasn't too convincing, but when the one you love is on the wrong side of the battle, it's just that way.

Harry lay awake, arms behind his head. He stared up at the drapery above his bed. He should be out there, keeping watch. Twice he had gotten up, and tried to see if anything was happening. Neville snivels had turned to soft snores. Seamus was having another Lavender dream and Dean had gone to bed outside in front of the Portrait Hole.

"As Head Boy, I have duties to keep everyone in Hogwarts safe. But those of my own house should get protected more." Dean had said as he dragged his comforters out of the dorm. Harry knew it was because he was in Gryffindor that Dean was doing this. Even though Dean was smart, Harry wasn't sure he would be able to stand up against any of Voldemort's supporters. Harry got up again and went the window. He leaned on his elbows and stared out past the trees. An owl flew past the tower. It made him think of Hedwig, even though this owl was an eagle owl, like Malfoy's. Harry gripped the windowsill and peered out. He couldn't see the lake or the greenhouses, or the gates from his position. Harry sighed and crawled back into his bed. He pulled the covers up to his chin and sighed again. The door creaked open. Harry sat up slowly, trying not to make much noise.

"Ron?" Harry whispered. There was a tiny sniff.

"No." said a voice. Harry sighed and his head fell back onto his pillow.

"What are you doing here?" Harry quietly spoke, smiling slightly.

"I can't sleep." Hermione parted the foot of the bed curtains poked her head through the opening.

"Is that all?" Harry whispered back.

"I had a bad dream, too." Hermione admitted. Harry slid over and lifted the covers. Hermione tip-toed across the floor and around to the other side of the bed. She pulled back the curtains and crawled in.

"You're cold." Harry said.

"The fire's out in the commons. You're cold too." Hermione said, wrapping her share of the blankets around herself.

"Been keeping watch." Harry replied. "Couldn't sleep either." Hermione nodded. Harry could make out her reaction in the shadow of the full moon. It was large and filled the floor of the room with dim light. Harry looked over Hermione's head on his pillow and out the window. He closed his eyes, wishing that it wasn't there.

*********

"Oooooooooooh! Ooooooooooooooh! Love birds in bed!" Seamus yelled.

"Hmmm? What?" Harry said, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. He stretched out a hand and felt around, trying to reach his bedside table for his glasses.

"Ow!" Hermione said sleepily. "You hit my head!" she whined. Harry found his glasses and slid them on.

"Oooooooooooooh!!!!!! Ooooooooooooh! I'm telling!" Seamus said.

"Put a sock in it." Harry said, going red. Hermione sat up.

"Nice pajamas." Seamus said. Hermione looked down at her thin white nightgown. She covered herself with the covers. Harry got out of the bed and found his night robe.

"You can give it back later." Harry said. He handed it to her. Hermione wrapped herself in the robe and walked out of the room. Harry tried to block out Seamus' taunting, and soon, Dean's, as he looked for clothes.

"Oooooooooh!!!!!! Oooooooooh!" Seamus kept on saying. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Trying to get some on your last night on earth?" Dean asked. Harry turned around.

"Shut the hell up, Dean." Harry snapped. "How do you know that it's my last night on earth?"

"Look out the window." Dean pointed. Harry turned towards the window. Harry dropped his shirt and walked to the window. Far out where the desert was, a dark swirling cloud loomed high in the sky. Flashes of lightning streaked through the cloud.

"He's coming." Dean said. Harry closed his eyes. He pressed his hands against the glass.

"It can't be." Harry whispered. He leaned his forehead against the window pane. The dorm door opened and closed with a click. Seamus and Dean had left the room. Harry went into the bathroom and got ready. He wore a plain coloured t-shirt, a pair of khaki's, and of course, his Gryffindor robe.

At breakfast, even the enchanted ceiling looked gloom. Not everyone was there. Most were sleeping in because of no classes today. Near the end of Breakfast. Ron hurried in the great hall.

"Damn!" Ron said. He collapsed in a chair.

"I know what you mean."

"No you don't." Ron said.

"Toast?" Neville offered, with a shaky hand.

"No thanks." Ron said. Suddenly, the toast that was extended in Neville's hand was snatched away and disappeared.

"Ah--!" Neville began to scream, but an invisible hand smacked a hand over his mouth to muffle his cries.

"Ron!" Hermione said, as her orange juice disappeared, along with some sausage from Harry's plate.

"It's not all my fault!" Ron said. There was rustling sound and Leila appeared.

"Hi guys!" Leila said, sitting on the floor, hiding from view.

"Was the juice good?" Hermione asked, a little ticked.

"I don't know. I didn't eat it." Harry and Hermione stared at Ron. Neville had calmed down.

"Who's she?" Neville asked.

"Fairy." Ron answered.

"Oh." Neville said. There was a loud belch from out of no where.

"And what was that?" Harry asked. There was a thud as Leila pulled on the air. A pair of fat legs appeared. Leila whipped the invisibility cloak off of Thor, Hermione's juice goblet in hand.

"Hello there!"

"It's not my fault! Lupin sent us here." Ron said again.

"Is he a..." Harry started. Ron nodded. Harry stared at the man, yet another werewolf.

"He's a fairy, too?" Neville said. "Weird." Neville went back to his toast. Harry, Hermione, and Ron all huddled their heads together.

"So Lupin made you bring them here?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah. He saw the cloud and told us to get to the school."

"Did Lupin come with you? How did you get to the school past the delegates?" Harry questioned.

"Lupin's not here now. He's at the greenhouses. He knows Professor Midrigge. He's staying there until.... You know. The duel."

"I'm gonna kick some snake butt!" Leila proudly said, hugging her knees.

"No you're not, young lady. You're going to stay here in the school until everything is over." Thor said.

"You're not the boss of me." Leila retorted. "I have to do my part in saving the wizarding world."

"She's right." Harry said. "Everyone has to do their part in saving the wizarding world." Leila stuck her tongue out at Thor. He crossed his arms. There was a loud crash of thunder. Everyone in the Great Hall stared up at the ceiling. Several students left to look out the windows. The cloud was getting closer.

"We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!" some kid yelled. Everyone panicked. Plates crashed to the floor, splattering food. Goblets tipped.

"SILENCE!!!!!!!" Professor McGonagall screamed for Professor Dumbledore. "Everyone, return to your houses! And stay there! Don't you move an inch!" Everyone hurried out, single file.

"Quick! Under the cloak!" Hermione said to Thor and Leila. They scrambled under the cloak, and out of sight. Professor McGonagall came up to Harry.

"It is time. We'll gather outside." She told Harry.

"Do I need to bring anything?" Harry asked, swallowing hard.

"Just a good heart." Professor McGonagall said, smiling gently at him. Harry nodded.

"Follow Ron, Leila, and the other guy to the entrance. Then bring the cloak back to the tower and stay there." Harry told Hermione.

"Harry..." Hermione said.

"Stay there. Promise me you'll stay there." Hermione started to cry. She flung herself on Harry and sobbed into his cloak.

"Stay in the common room. You can go to the guys dorm if you want. I don't think they'll bother you." Harry said.

"Keep an eye on Ginny, too." Ron said. Hermione nodded, wiping tears from her eyes.

Harry kissed her forehead.

"I'll pray for you." Hermione said.

"I'll pray for you, too." Harry said. Hermione began to follow Ron and the others out the door. Hermione paused in the doorway. She turned and looked at Harry. Harry smiled at her. Hermione weakly smiled back before leaving the Great Hall.

*********

It was 27 minutes after 12. Harry and Dumbledore stood at the front of the line, with the many delegates and other witches and wizards and teachers behind them. The storm cloud was shifting the entire Hogwarts and Hogsmeade grounds into shadow. A ghost town, with no ghosts.

"Are we ready?" Dumbledore asked Harry. Harry stared up at the cloud. The cloud rumbled.

"I think so." Harry said. Dumbledore stepped forward. Harry followed suit.

"Where's Professor Midrigge?" Harry asked as they slowly moved along.

"She'll meet us there. She has a surprise for you." Dumbledore said.

"Nellie? Is it her?" Harry asked excitedly, turning towards Dumbledore.

"I'm not aware." Dumbledore said. Harry looked at the ground. The cloud above them thundered, vibrating the air around them. It seemed the had walked for eternity. They passed through Hogsmeade. The wind whipped sand into their faces. Harry rubbed at his face with his sleeve. Dirt smeared on his face.

"We're here." Dumbledore said. They were standing on a hill.

"Where is she?" Harry asked.

"There." Dumbledore said, pointing a crooked finger towards the other side of the hill.

"Is that a... Unicorn?" Harry asked.

"Yes it is, boy." Dumbledore said. Harry walked down the hill and towards Professor Midrigge.

"Long time, no see, Harry." She said to him.

"Same to you." Harry said.

"A gift from the werewolves, I should say." Professor Midrigge said, holding out the reigns leading the Unicorn.

"Unicorns don't like males." Harry said, looking at the reigns.

"Not unless they've returned to innocence by the care of a boy. Your friend Ron took this one in after it was banned by the other herd." Professor Midrigge put the reigns in Harry's hands.

"Banned? Banned how?"

"You see Harry? See that cloud?" Professor Midrigge pointed up.

"Yes." Harry said, looking at the storm cloud overhead.

"Voldemort has Dark Unicorns. Their powers combined with Voldemort's have made that cloud. This one here was born a Dark Unicorn. But with the proper care and love, he was able to become a regular Unicorn. Pure of heart. Ride to the top of this other hill. They're coming." Harry nodded. Harry looked at the horse. He placed his hands on its back and lifted himself up. The leather saddle placed on the Unicorn was old. The Unicorn shook its head, its' horn flashing in the light emitting from the cloud. Dumbledore came up beside Harry.

"Let's go." He said. The Unicorn made it's way up the hill. Harry stared down the steep that led into a valley. On top of the hill across from Harry, were 4 caravans. Painted black with silver wheels and green lining. Dark Unicorns were tied to the caravans.

"So. This is it." Harry said to Dumbledore. Dumbledore nodded.

"It's so.... Quiet. Something doesn't feel right...." Harry said. He looked around the hillside. Harry looked up at the cloud. Something was rumbling, and it wasn't the cloud. Harry then looked at the ground. Pebbles and dirt clods in the sand bounced up and down. The Unicorn tossed its head.

"They're here."


-->