Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Final Moon by RowlingIdol
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Final Moon

RowlingIdol

Chapter 35

Dedicated to: J.K. Rowling. The greatest person on earth in my book.

Note: This is the last chapter. It took over a year to finish. Please read the epilogue stories. Enjoy!

Professor Midrigge, McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick went back to the hill to retrieve Professor Dumbledore's body.

"He didn't want to go." Harry later explained in Dumbledore's office. "Said you couldn't change the future. I had no choice but to leave him."

"You did the right thing, Harry." Professor McGonagall said, laying a hand on his shoulder. "Everyone is still proud of you."

"Is everyone okay?" Harry asked.

"Yes. They are." Professor Flitwick said. "Minor injuries, but nothing too bad."

"And Nellie? And the others?" "Nellie will be fine. Just a burn where the Dark Mark used to be, and her pregnancy of course." Professor Midrigge.

"Crabbe and Goyle suffered burns and bruises and one or two open wounds. Draco, well, he's still unconscious." Professor McGonagall explained.

"We're having a moment of silence, mixed in with a funeral in a couple of days for Albus." Professor Midrigge said. "I want you to speak at it." She told Harry. Harry nodded.

"Now. I believe someone is waiting for you." Professor Midrigge smiled. Harry blushed. Harry left the office just as Professor Flitwick was hanging up the picture of Dumbledore on the wall, to go up next to all of the past Headmasters. Right next to Professor Dippet.

*********************

Hermione was waiting for Harry outside of the gargoyle statue. Harry wrapped his arms around her in a hug.

"You're a true hero, Harry." Hermione said, squeezing him tight. Harry smiled.

"What do you want to do now?" Hermione asked him. "Your life is fulfilled. You banished the enemy."

"I wouldn't say my life is fulfilled." Harry said, taking Hermione's hand. "But I do feel hungry." Hermione smiled.

"There's a party in Gryffindor Tower of course." Hermione said.

"Where's Ron?" Harry suddenly asked. Hermione smiled wider.

"Waiting in Professor Midrigge's office with Leila."

"Hmmm? Why???"

"He's going to be normal, Harry! Normal! He won't be a werewolf anymore! Professor Midrigge has been working on the potion for a time now."

"That's great!" Harry said. He bent down and kissed Hermione. She giggled.

At Gryffindor Tower, the cheers were ear deafening as Harry walked into the common room. It was packed with everyone wanting to congratulate him.

"We still have finals, but that's okay." Seamus said to Harry, shaking his hand. Ron and Leila came in the common room later and Ron flung himself on Harry, sobbing.

"You're so stupid!" Ron sobbed. Harry patted his friend's back.

"I know." Harry said. Ron wiped his eyes.

"Well." He said, sniffing. "I'm not a werewolf anymore. Neither is Leila." Ron jerked a thumb over his shoulder. Leila was stuffing her face with sweets.

"Hey! Those are Harry's!" Ron told her. Harry laughed.

"It's okay. I won't be able to eat it all." Just then, Neville burst in the room.

"Harry! I've got to talk to you!" Neville said happily, taking Harry aside.

"What is it?" Harry asked. "You're an uncle! Nellie had her baby!"

"NOW??????????????" Harry asked.

"Well, now that You-Know-Who is gone, all spells were lifted, and so the baby had to be born!"

"Can I see her? What's the baby? What's its name?"

"It's a boy. I think you can see her. Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let me in though. But she told me to go tell you."

"Can I bring Hermione and Ron?"

"I guess so. Come on!" Neville grinned big and rushed out of the common room again.

In the Hospital wing, there was only one bed blocked off. Madam Pomfrey told them all to be quiet.

"I'm glad you're all right." Nellie told her brother.

"I'm glad you're all right!" Harry said.

"Being pregnant isn't fun." Nellie said laughing. "Giving birth isn't either." Everyone smiled.

"What are you going to call him?" Hermione asked, looking at the tiny child.

"Timothy." Nellie said. "I'm staying here for the night. Professor Midrigge is going to take care of Timothy for a while so I can continue school until summer vacation begins." Someone entered the Hospital Wing. It was Professor Midrigge, Leila and Professor Lupin.

"Professor Lupin?" Harry, Hermione, and Neville said, surprised.

"Hello everyone." Lupin nodded.

"What brings you here?" Harry asked.

"We just received good news. Neville, your parents are healed." Professor Midrigge said.

"Wh-What? My parents? You mean, they're not insane anymore?"

"Yes. They started asking where they were and where you were." Neville began to cry. Nellie smiled at him. Neville ran to Professor Midrigge and hugged her.

"We'll take you to see them." Professor Midrigge said to Neville. Neville sniffed.

"We?" He asked.

"Of course. Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom, well.. They're believing a little white lie that we told them."

"Lie?" Neville asked.

"We said that Timothy was Neville and Nellie's child and they're willing to help look after him. With Neville being so young when the accident happened, Veronica never got to see her son grow up. So she wanted to help." Professor Midrigge explained. Neville turned and smiled at Nellie. She grinned back.

"Why couldn't you take care of Timothy, Professor?" Hermione asked.

"I'll tell you!" Leila said, raising her hand in an anxious way. "Professor Midrigge and Lupin are boyfriend-girlfriend and getting married." Leila said. Everyone's mouth dropped open. Lupin's ears went red.

"Tattletale." Lupin said.

"Congratulations!" Harry told them.

"Thank you." Professor Midrigge said.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Ron asked.

"We wanted to keep it a secret. I still am a werewolf after all." Lupin explained. There was moment of silence.

"Well. Kids, you should let Nellie rest."

"All right. Bye." Ron said. He waved to Nellie. He and Leila left the Hospital wing.

"Bye." Hermione said.

"Mom and Dad would be proud." Harry told Nellie. She nodded.

"Stay in touch." Harry told her. He and Hermione left.

*************

The following day, Nellie was out of the Hospital wing. It was empty except for Draco, who still lay unconscious on the white hospital bed sheets. Ginny had stayed there all night at his side. He had bandages wrapped around his forehead, a bandage on his cheek, and his right arm was wrapped up in bandages from the shoulder all the way down to his hand. His arms lay at his sides. Ginny had cried all night. She stayed awake, and talked to Nellie some about the baby. Madam Pomfrey was in a meeting with all the other faculty. Now Ginny was asleep, slumped forward in a chair next to Draco's bed. Her arms folded on the bed, her head resting on them. As Ginny slept on, Draco's fingers twitched. Once, twice. Three times. His gray eyes slowly opened. He had a pounding headache. He reached up his hand to his forehead, seeing his arm in bandages and feeling bandages on his head. His right Draco shifted in the bed, feeling groggy and sweaty. There was soft breathing to his right. Draco turned his head. Ginny was asleep. Draco smiled. He reached his bandaged hand and picked up a strand of her hair. He twirled it in his fingers. Ginny raised her head.

"Hey." Draco said.

"Oh my god! Draco!" Ginny said. She took his hand and held it up to her cheek. "You're okay!" She said.

"Yeah. I'm fine." Draco replied, smiling.

"I thought.. I thought.." Ginny began to sob.

"It's okay.. Shhh. It's okay." Draco said, smoothing her head as Ginny sobbed into the bed sheets.

"You were out for almost 3 days." Ginny said, wiping her eyes.

"Oh. I don't remember much. There was this gigantic explosion and I remember feeling pain and then I blacked out." Draco said.

"He's gone." Ginny said, not looking at Draco and sitting back in her chair.

"I know. He never would have, facing Harry and all.."

"Dumbledore died too. It was probably too much for him." Ginny said. Draco was quiet.

"There's a moment of silence funeral thing tomorrow. Everyone's to go." Ginny stood up and looked out the window that overlooked the lake.

"Would you open that?" Draco asked. Ginny nodded and pushed up the window.

"That feels good." Draco said as the spring breeze entered the room. He closed his eyes. Ginny walked back over to the bed.

"How long do you have to stay?"

"I'm not sure. I still feel odd. My head hurts and my arm sometimes throbs." Draco said, opening his eyes and rubbing his arm. "Maybe another day or so." Draco shrugged.

"Ooo! Ow." Draco said, reaching up his good hand towards his shoulder.

"You should try to rest some more." Ginny said, pulling the thing hospital sheets up over him. She pushed him back gently onto the pillows, her hands touching his chest. Draco touched her hands and held them against his chest for a while. Ginny looked at him. Draco took his bandaged hand and cupped her chin. He moved her face towards his. He kissed her on the lips. When their lips parted, Ginny was quiet.

"Get some rest." She said, smoothing the sheets. She quietly left the room.

**********

The next day, there was a slight breeze and every Hogwarts student gathered around the lake. Earlier that morning, the teachers and Harry put Dumbledore in a grand grave in the Hogwarts graveyard. Harry gave a small speech, just like Professor Midrigge had asked him to. Then they had headed to the lake. Hermione and Ron had saved Harry a spot at the front. Professor Flitwick had handed out flowers to everyone to throw into the lake as a remembrance. Leila started crying, even though she wasn't a student and never knew Dumbledore. Professor McGonagall, now Headmistress spoke some words. She kept having to pause as Leila sobbed into Ron's robes. Ron rolled his eyes as people stared at them from all angles. When Professor McGonagall was done with her speech, people threw their flowers into the lake. Others moved out of the way to let the people in the back throw theirs in. Ginny saved one of her flowers and looked up at the Hospital Wing tower. Draco hadn't attended the remembrance ceremony. He probably was still stuck in there. Everyone slowly walked back to the school. Ginny went straight to the Hospital Wing instead of the Gryffindor Common room to study for finals. Draco was standing at the window, hands clasped behind his back. Harvey was perched on a bedpost on the headboard.

"Draco?" Ginny asked, stepping closer to him. Draco didn't answer. He just kept staring out the window.

"Draco?" Ginny tried again. Harvey hooted and flew over to the bed post closer to her. Ginny reached out a hand and smoothed his wings. Ginny didn't say anything. She set the daisy on the bedside table on top of a letter. She left the room without a word. The hospital wing door closed with a quiet click. Draco sighed. He looked over at the bedside table. He looked at the daisy on top of the letter. He reached over and picked up the daisy. He fingered it for a moment before setting it on the windowsill. Draco reached over for the letter. He glanced at it one last time before crumpling it up in his hand and throwing it to the floor. He leaned his head against the windowpane, and began to cry. He wished he had answered Ginny. He could have used comfort by now. But it was no use. Even Ginny couldn't bring 'them' back.

****************

A week and a half passed and Harry was on his way back to the Gryffindor Common Room. Hermione and Ron were waiting for him there. He had just passed his apparating test and had returned from the testing grounds. The Hogwarts Express would be leaving tomorrow to return everybody home and he had to pack for his new life. Just a few days ago, Professor Midrigge and Lupin had gone to the ministry with Sirius. Sirius' name was cleared and he had bought a house. Professor Midrigge, with her special powers had found Wormtail and brought him forth in front of the new Ministry of Magic and they threw him in Azkaban. Sirius had happily written to Harry. Harry was going to live Sirius. Sirius would be waiting for him at Kings Cross. Sirius had also bought a car. Harry would have to drive it for Sirius, because Harry was the only one that could drive. Harry started to walk faster, eager to see his friends and finish packing when- "Hey, Potter." Said a not quite so drawling voice. "Oh. Hey Mal-Draco." Harry said. Draco was leaning against a wall, one foot placed on the wall behind him.

"What's it like.. Having no parents?" Draco asked. Harry stood stunned.

"It's lonely." Harry finally said. "It's very lonely. Why?" Draco looked at the ground.

"Last week, on the day of the remembrance ceremony. I got a letter from home. My parents commited suicide." Harry was stunned even more.

"Oh. I-I'm sorry." Harry said.

"I had this feeling my father wouldn't take Voldemort's death easy." Draco said. Harry was quiet for a moment.

"Yeah." Harry said. "He was one of the strongest followers, wasn't he?" Harry asked. Draco didn't reply.

"I'm sorry your parents are gone." Harry said again.

"It's nothing." Draco said. "No one can bring 'them' back." He turned down the hallway next to him and out of sight.

**********************

The Hogwarts express pulled into Kings Cross station. Ron had pulled off bringing Leila to live with his family. Mrs. Weasley hugged Harry so hard he almost suffocated. Ron and Leila said goodbye to Harry and they left Kings Cross. Ginny smiled at Harry before hurrying to catch up with her family. Harry and Hermione went out to the parking lot to wait for their rides. A fancy black car drove up and Draco came up beside Harry. A man put Draco's trunk in the car.

"See you Potter." Was all Draco said. Draco got in the car and the car drove off.

"So." Harry said to Hermione. "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I think my parents want me to help at the dentist office. But I might look into Ministry work. You?"

"Ministry work probably. It's going to be a new life, living with Sirius instead of the Dursley's." Harry shrugged his shoulders.

"Bet they'll be glad to have me out of the house." Harry turned to Hermione and picked up her left hand. He looked at it.

"You're still wearing it." Harry said. Hermione nodded.

"I want you to wear it. Every single day, until the next time we see each other, and I can make that ring into something different. Like an engagement ring." Harry said. Hermione blushed. Harry lifted up her hand and kissed it.

"Oh Harry!" Hermione said, hugging Harry.

"I think your ride's here." Harry said, looking over Hermione's head, seeing the black Buick. Hermione turned her head.

"You're right." Hermione said. "Well. I guess this is goodbye." Hermione said.

"Goodbye for now, at least. I'll send you.. Well. I'll find a way to send you my new house address." Harry said. He leaned down and kissed her. A tear rolled down Hermione's cheek.

"Don't cry. I'm right here." Harry put a finger to her heart. "I'll be in your heart. Always. Remember that." Hermione nodded. She pushed her cart to the car. Harry watched her go. Hermione waved out the back window of the Buick. Harry sighed loudly. A car horn honked and Harry looked to its source.

"I didn't want to bother you." Sirius said, waving to Harry.

"How long were you here?" Harry asked, pushing his cart over to the blue car.

"A while. I contacted the Weasley's. Percy drove the car here for me and I apparated." Sirius explained. Sirius got in the passenger seat. Harry returned the cart to the cart pick-up and climbed in the driver seat. Harry looked into the rearview mirror. Harry looked at his scar. He remembered that he would always look at it and wonder. It didn't bring any happiness to him, looking at it. He had always frowned at it. But today, in this new age, new feelings filled Harry. Harry started the car. With one last glance at his scar in the rearview mirror, Harry did something that he had never done before. He smiled at his scar.

DEDICATED TO ALL THE TRUE HARRY POTTER FANS ALL AROUND THE ENTIRE WORLD


-->