Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Cause I haven't said it in a while. I only own the plot and the few poor characters I made up myself. JKR owns all the rest.
Chapter 12, Inklings of Something Greater.

***********************Hogwarts*********************************

October 22, 2004
4 pm

Harry ran down the front hall and out the door, Hermione was following at a much more sedate pace, only to almost be knocked down by her other best friend. Who unlike Harry did at least shout an apology as he ran past.

"SORRY HERM, CAN'T BE LATE" Ron hollered as he ran past.

Hermione just grinned, not angry with either of them. Dumbledore had kept them late and their first match of the season was only a half hour away. Normally the games were on Saturday, but due to a special request from the Ministry, today's game was on a Friday so the many families that worked in the Ministry and had kids in Hogwarts could come and see the game as an impromptu day off. Her expression clouded a bit as she gained the front door. She knew that the real reason that Arthur had arraigned for a game day, was to distract people from the off and on attacks against the magical community and muggles that had restarted since the attack on St. Mungo's a month or so ago. With a quick headshake she drove that thought from her mind, she would enjoy her two best friends playing today, actually, it was really more like her family playing in a way, as if you counted Harry as an adopted Weasley, five sevenths of the team was a Weasley or the next thing to it.

Meanwhile she had made it to the pitch and stopped, leaning against a post, waiting for Ron and Harry to emerge from the locker room so she could wish them luck before she took her place in the stands. Sometimes I wish I could play too, I just can't fly that well. I should take Harry up on his offer, but I just get squirrelly on a broom when I'm that high up.

"BOO" Harry said behind her ear causing her to jump two feet in the air, and to half have her wand pointed before her brain processed it was Harry.

"SHIT" Then with a deep breath, "damn it Harry"
Harry looked genuinely contrite, she forgive him instantly, "Sorry, Hermione" He muttered his eyes downcast.

Crap, I got him nervous, I doubt he even realized he wasn't making any noise, too much training with Moody, "It's ok Harry. Good luck" With a small grin she reached over and gave him a peck on the cheek. Harry's eyes grew wide, and a loopy smile replaced the sad expression he had before. Why did I do that? She thought to herself with a touch of panic.

"Hey what about me?" Ron said grinning as he came out of the locker room.

"OH all right" Hermione replied laughing, and gave him an identical kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks Herm, I need the luck, more than seeker boy here." Harry laughed and waved him on. Ron headed for the center of the pitch where he and Harry would take the coin toss as co-captains.

Hermione looked thoughtful as she caught sight of the Ravenclaws. "Harry, I normally don't give Quiddich strategies"

"Yes, Mione?" Harry asked, intrigued.

"Kick her ass." She replied motioning towards Cho with her head, and she turned and headed up the stands to the Gryffindor stands.

Harry looked after her, a smile in his eyes, and muttered, "yes, ma'am." Harry turned and ran to the center ring where Ron, Madame Hooch and Cho were waiting for the galleon flip.

Madame Hooch turned and looked at the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw captains. Thank God it isn't the Gryffindor-Slytherin match, there is a reason we have that one last, so I can get psyched up for it. She thought gratefully. "Ok I expect a clean game today. There are many Ministry families and officials here today to watch, and I want a good show, no shenanigans." Hooch said the last looking at Ron, who just returned a look asking, "who me?" After all three of the team representatives nodded, she turned to Cho, "Miss Chang, call the flip in the air"

"Heads" Cho replied as her eyes tracked the galleon up then back down.

Hooch caught the coin and looked down, "Heads it is, which goal will you defend?"

Cho didn't even hesitate a second, "the south one." The north goal, the one nearest the Gryffindor stands, was impossible for any keeper except a Gryffindor to defend, the roar was defining, and the crowd was actively hostile to any but their own. Therefore, no opposing team in the last ten years had chosen the North goal, except a really ill advised Slytherin team the year before Harry had started school. Gryffindor may not have won as many matches before Harry started but the fans were the same.

"Very well then" Hooch replied, though the answer hadn't really been in doubt, "to the air" Harry, Ron and Cho signaled to their teams, and mounting their brooms, kicked off and started circling.

"WELCOME HOGWARTS STUDENTS, FACULTY AND GUESTS TO TODAY"S OPENING QUIDDICH MATCH OF THE SEASON" the voice of Leslie Jordan, Lee Jordan's younger sister boomed out over the crowds. She had replaced her brother when he had graduated last year. "TODAY"S MATCH SHOULD BE A GOOD ONE, WITH THE RAVENCLAW EAGLES LED BY CHO CHANG, WHO HAS RECENTLY BEEN NAMED TO THE TORNADOES AS SEEKER, AND OUR GRYFFINDOR LIONS LEAD BY THE INCOMPARABLE HARRY POTTER AS SEEKER."

"Impartiality Leslie" McGonagall growled in her ear, but she went on anyway, knowing good and well that McGonagall would forget to be impartial if the game got good anyway.

"TODAY'S MATCH IS OF PARTICULAR INTREST, AS IT IS THE BATTLE OF THE EX'S, MUCH TO THE DISSAPOINTMENT OF HIS MANY FANS, POTTER BRIEFLY DATED CHANG LAST YEAR, BEFORE THEY BROKE UP"

"LESLIE" McGonagall hissed loud enough to be heard over the magical amplification system.

Oh, god, Harry thought as he caught the fire in Cho's eyes, Blow the damn whistle, Hooch.

Harry's wish was granted, Madame Hooch blew the whistle, and the four balls of Quiddich shot up from the center pitch. Harry immediately spotted the snitch, and started after it, only to be cut off by a bludger. He dodged around the bludger, and lost sight of the snitch, Fortunately he saw that Cho had never seen it at all and was still circling the field, He started circling in the opposite direction looking for the snitch.

Meanwhile.

Terry Boot grabbed the quaffle, hurried downfield, dodging bludgers, once, twice. He pulled and shot at the right most goal. Ron who was currently at the leftmost, and should not have been able to block it, was moving as Terry's arm started moving, by the time the quaffle was flying Ron was in front of the targeted hoop and caught it easily. He snapped it downfield at Pavarti, who shot it to Ginny. Fred and George plowed the road, each shooting a bludger straight in front of her clearing out any Ravenclaws, leaving Ginny alone with the Ravenclaw keeper. She smiled, and pump faked a shot at the left most goal. As he jumped to cover that goal, Sucker She shot directly behind him into the center scoring the first goal of the game.

"GRYFFINDOR SCORES 10-0" Leslie crowed, "ON A AWSOME GOAL BY THE SMALLEST WEASLEY"

"Go Ginny" Hermione yelled, as Ginny flashed back in front of the Gryffindor stands by the goal her brother was guarding. Ginny waved as she flew by then joined Pavarti and Lavender in going after the quaffle again.

Boot once again had the quaffle; he snapped a quick turn loosing Lavender, who had to pull up at the last second to avoid the stands. He ducked a bludger sent his way by George, but missed the follow on by Fred. Which deftly knocked the quaffle from his hands into the waiting arms of Pavarti, who flipped it to Ginny again, and joined by Lavender once again and covered ably by Fred and George they charged down the field. Ginny to Lavender to Pavarti to Ginny to Pavarti who shot...and scored.

"20-0 Gryffindor, on an awesome charge by the Gryffindor front line" Leslie commented, McGonagall letting it slide, as it was a good charge, and she had calmed down a bit.

Back up topside.

Harry had continued circling. Today looked to be one of those days when the snitch just didn't want to play. Cho swerved up next to him and snapped across. "What'd got Potter, remember I'm a pro now" She grinned at him.

"Cho, dear, they might pay you for this, by I'm still better." Harry yelled back, dodging a bludger almost unconsciously as it streaked towards him.

"Well, Hell boy; lets see what ya got, then."

"If I remember correctly you didn't hang around long enough to find out," Harry replied testily, he was getting tired of the witty repartee and the damn snitch not wanting to come out. He glanced over at the scoreboard and saw that Gryffindor was leading 60-20; Ron must have let a couple in. Oh well, shit happens. Harry thought grimly.

"Did little Granger find out yet Harry," She replied snidely.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your feelings about the matter Harry didn't really hear her consciously. It wouldn't be well until after the game that he really knew what she had said or his response, "she's a hell of a lot more likely than you to do so." Because at that moment, he had spotted the snitch, he pitched over in a near vertical dive. Cho cursing snapped after him. The snitch was hovering far below directly in front of the solid base of the stands. For the first time, their brooms were equal; she had bought herself a firebolt with her Quiddich pay from the Tornadoes. Harry glanced back, Ok bitch let's play He thought grimly and laid flat on his broom. All things being equal, technically Cho should have been faster, the brooms were the same, she was two thirds Harry's weight and smaller. But unfortunately for her, things weren't equal, this was a dive, mass counted in his favor, and he was Harry Potter.

The two seekers, flashed down past the Gryffindor stands, right in front of Hermione who gasped at the red and blue streaks arrowing towards the ground. Suddenly it was over. "Bye Cho" Harry snapped, as he pulled up hard on his broom, effectively skidding in the sky, flashing past the snitch, he snatched it from the air, and with at least a foot to spare, he pulled up, skimming the stands as he crossed them vertically. Cho was a fraction of a second too late, as in a flash of blue light the magical safeties preventing a lethal crash into the stands kicked in and trapped her like a fly in amber. Harry laughed softly; he had paid attention at the preseason briefing unlike the trapped Head Girl and had used them to his advantage.

"GRYFFINDOR WINS, GRYFFINDOR WINS" Leslie shouted from the stands jumping up and down as Harry landed on the pitch. Cho now released; landed, glanced at him and stalked off the field.

"Harry" Hermione squealed happily as she ran up and gave him a hug. "Good job"

He lowered his voice, "you told me to" Harry replied, to which Hermione just grinned with an evil glint in her eye.

"Bloody Brilliant" Ron exclaimed as he landed beside Harry. "That was awesome"

"Think your dad got enough of a show?" Harry asked his keeper and best friend.

"I bloody well hope so, any way I guess you showed Cho who should be drawing the Tornadoes paycheck." Harry laughed at Ron's reply and throwing his arms around the shoulders of his best friends he headed for the castle and the inevitable victory party.

*************************Gryffindor Common Room*************************

October 23, 2004
12:05 pm

The victory party had been going full blast for almost two and a half hours. The Gryffindors had suffered though dinner, while the invited guests from the ministry had dinner with them and mingled. Harry in particular was forced to answer asinine questions on the game and other matters ranging from, "does the scar hurt?" to "are you REALLY sure you saw You-Know-Who?". Finally, he had been able to escape, and had headed up to the common room. Soon after, Ron and the others arrived singing the Gryffindor version of Weasley is our King, the party started. Ron had been only too happy to talk to the guests about the game, especially the representatives of the Department of Magical Games representing the Cannons.

Harry was standing over to one side, a butterbeer in his hand, occasionally taking a sip. He was relaxing, idly watching Ron and Seamus in one of their usual drinking contests. I better get to bed soon, I'll have to get up to play with Moody in a few hours.

"Hey Harry" Hermione said as she came up to him, and turned to watch with him as Ron slammed his sixth beer in a row. "Why are we friends with him again?" She asked a little smile on her face.

With an exaggerated shrug, "I don't know, maybe because his brothers get us free beer?" Harry replied sarcastically as he motioned over to where Fred and George were trying to sell something to some third years. As Hermione bristled and started to go over, Harry stuck a hand out and stopped her, "Leave them, Mione, I made them give their word, whatever they sold was harmless at least to Gryffindors, I couldn't get the same promise towards the Slytherins, but I confess I didn't try to hard."

Hermione turned and gave him a glare; them broke up at his hangdog expression. "Ok Harry. I'll let them be this time." She and he stood there quietly for another few minutes. "Harry..."

"Hermione"

"Are you going to the Halloween Ball?" She asked with a touch of nervousness coloring her voice, though Harry didn't seem to notice.

Harry sighed, "I don't know Mione, Halloween is not really my favorite holiday." Hermione gasped, suddenly making the connection, "Its ok, I know you didn't mean anything, why do you ask anyway?"

"Because I was thinking of not going too. Anyway it's not like I have anyone." She muttered her last, but like usual Harry could more or less read her mind.

"What about Vicky?" Harry replied a twinkle in his eye.

"You know bloody well I haven't exchanged anything with him for almost a year, Harry!" She snapped in return, "Honestly, Harry...What about Cho, huh lover boy?"

Harry gave a short bark of a laugh right as Ron and Seamus simultaneously slammed down their eighth mug each. "Hell, I just slammed her into the stands at three hundred miles an hour, great way to start a date, besides we're over, through, done." Harry glanced over to see something like satisfaction cross Hermione's face, and suddenly he had an idea to save them both, "Hermione, I assume that you are probably supposed to go as you're a prefect, and I'm sure Dumbledore will send someone after me if I don't show up, so...how, um you go with me, I mean as friends?" For some reason, Harry felt really nervous at asking her. He ran his hand through his hair, messing it up even worse.

Damn he's cute when he's nervous. DOWN DAMN IT "Sure Harry it'll be fun" She replied, and watched his eyes light up, for just a second. A sight that caused a slight lightheaded feeling for just a second, almost too quick to notice. A question was born right then that she would answer not right then but later, anyway Ron had staggered over to them, from where he had just had his tenth, and Seamus was on the floor. Oddly, Ron looked reasonable sober, and remembering his resent escapade with ethanol, Hermione had to know. "Why are you sober?"

Ron grinned at her, and crooking a finger at her and Harry to get closer, "Remember Moody?"

"Yeah" Harry and Hermione added at once, they both remembered him quite well as a matter of fact, having just seen him eighteen hours ago.

"Always be prepared, anyway this is a new invention of Fred and George's," Ron held up a tiny potion bottle, "it instantly neutralizes about 95 percent of the alcohol you take in so you can win any drinking contest." Hermione looked shocked for a moment but was mollified by his response, "remember he said never loose, and cheat if you have too." Hermione really didn't want to admit he had a point, but he very well might. To her great relief however, Harry saved her from admitting it.

"He meant in battle mate," Harry replied more than a little exasperated, "But that stuff could come in handy, we might want to start taking it before Hogsmeade weekends just in case, so we're clear headed." Harry wandered off with that thought to find Fred or George to arrange a supply.

"When did he become responsible?" Ron asked after Harry left.

When do you think Ron? "About the time the fate of the world was put on his shoulders." Hermione replied thoughtfully. For once Ron just agreed, nodding quietly. Then after a moment, he turned to her, a funny, nervous look in his eye. "Hermione?"

"Yes, Ron?" She replied as she turned to him.

"I um, well I, anyway I don't have a date for the Halloween ball and was wondering if you would might going with me as you don't either." Ron asked, rambling more than a little.

Hermione rounded on him, more than a little offended at his insinuation, "As it happens, Ronald Bilius, I do have a date for the ball."

"Who?" Ron spat back.

"Harry," she replied and wandered off without a glance backwards. Ron stared goggle eyed at her until she wandered over to Ginny, and started talking to the miniature witch, not looking back at him once, meanwhile Harry returned.

"What's up mate?" Harry asked seeing the odd expression on Ron's face.

"Nothing," Ron muttered and wandered back over to the beer barrel.

*****************Gryffindor Common/Great Hall, Hogwarts********************

October 31, 2004

7:45pm

"Hey, Ginny" Harry yelled across the common room as Ron's only sister came down the stairs. Like at the infamous Yule ball, she had accepted Neville's awkward invitation, though Harry secretly thought that she had been much less hesitant this time. "Is Hermione still up there?"

The tiny red-haired witch turned to Harry from where she had just greeted Neville with a kiss on his cheek, an act that looked as if it almost stopped his heart. Carefully suppressing a smile, "Yeah Harry, I think she is." Ginny turned and murmuring something to Neville that Harry couldn't make out they left for the ball, Neville laughing heartily as they exited the portrait hole, glancing back right before it closed.

Harry sighed quietly; he was probably the last one waiting for his "date." Ron in the end had surprisingly asked Luna to go and she had accepted happily. Very happily in fact, she had bounded about like a giant, blond, bunny rabbit for an entire minute until Ron could get her to calm down. Ron had not really spoken to Harry in the last week, he was mad about something or another, but even so Harry could tell that Ron had been taken aback by Luna coming down the stairs tonight in a gown that perfectly matched his blue eyes, incidentally complementing her blond locks flawlessly as well. Harry strode over to the girls stairs, "MIONE" he yelled up the stairs.

"Yes" She replied softly, coming down the stairs. Harry glanced up, and for just a moment he couldn't breathe. His expression must have shown on his face, for Hermione smiled brightly and giggled just a bit.

"Nice" Harry managed after a long, long moment. Hermione had shown up in a red dress, which suited her brunette locks, and long legs perfectly. The sleeveless dress hung on her like a second skin to the point that Harry wondered briefly how she could walk in it, until he noticed that the hem was spilt up the side, on one side. Harry walked up to her and like the gentry he had seen on television at the Dursleys, he took her hand, raised it to his lips and kissed it softly, to the accompaniment of more giggles. Placing her arm in the crook of his, "Well, shall we, Miss Granger"

"Certainly Mr. Potter," Hermione replied humorously. Leading her as if he did this everyday, Harry led her to the portrait hole, and out.

They came into the hall, Hermione's arm still through his. Glancing around they saw that their friends were already either sitting down, or in the case of Ron and Luna, dancing. The Great Hall was decorated in Halloween colors, instead of the usual, thousands of tiny candles floating in the air; many, many tiny Jack-O-Lanterns were serving the same function. Harry, quickly ducked taking Hermione with him as one of four, of the giant versions of the same, which were flying about the room, came a little too close. Glancing toward the front of the hall, he could see Professor Flitwick up on a table directing them. As Harry caught his eye, he just apologized with a shrug.

"Dangerous here, Harry" Hermione commented wryly. "Ohh look at the mascots," She pointed to a corner of the room, where someone, probably Flitwick again, had the four house mascots, but with Pumpkins for heads, dancing to the beat.

"That's cool, umm, Mione do you want to grab something to eat?" Harry asked with a sidelong glance at the buffet tables.

"'ARRY, 'ERMIONE" Hagrid roared from behind them. "How, ya 'oing?" Damn they look cute together, just like... Hagrid thought to himself

"Fine Hagrid," Hermione responded for the both of them. "How are you?

"Ohh, I'm 'ine lass, I'm 'oing to see m'xine Christmas" He replied, trying to suggest something to them with his words.

"That's great Hagrid" Harry replied sincerely. "See you later?" He asked and got a mysteriously happy nod from the half-giant.

Hermione turned back to Harry, and continued from where they had been interrupted. "Sure we can Harry, but I want to dance first." Her hand dropped to his from where it had been entwined with his elbow and she drug him to the dance floor.

"Hermione, I dance like..."Harry began weakly.

Hermione shook her head at him as she let go of his hand and moved her arms up to his neck, for his part, his arms went around her waist as if they had a life of their own. Without a conscious decision on his part, or hers for that matter, they started swaying to the song, some old, slow muggle ballad, each perfectly in sync with the other. "See you're not so bad," Hermione said softly, with a shy smile.

"Only because it's you, Hermione" Harry responded, then shut up as his words reached his ears. After a minute, when the song changed they continued dancing, without pause, "Look, over there." Harry motioned with his head, as his hands stubbornly refused to let go of her waist, over to his left.

"Yeah, they are cute, Harry" Hermione said with a laugh in her chocolate eyes, as she caught sight of Ron and Luna, dancing slowly together. Luna, who was shorter than Ron, as was everyone else except Dumbledore, was gazing up into his eyes, not blinking once. Ron leaned down, and muttered some joke in her ear and she laughed gaily, her gaze never leaving his face.

After another song had passed and Harry had totally forgotten about any food, Ron and Luna drifted over. "Mind if I cut in mate?" Ron asked with a sly grin.

"Only if you don't" Harry replied and with a nod of approval, they switched partners, though through the next song, Harry idly noticed that he was a better dancer with Hermione than Luna. After the song was over, Ron and Hermione came over, and Hermione and Luna wordlessly switched partners back.

"Harry, how about that food you mentioned, about an hour ago" Hermione said smiling, once again grabbing his arm. Just as she asked the question Harry's stomach grumbled loudly and all four of them laughed as one. Harry nodded and led Hermione over to one of the small tables near the buffet, Ron and Luna following behind. The four sat for a while and grabbed a bite to eat, as Harry wasn't the only hungry one, just the one with the noisiest stomach.

After about a half hour Luna got bored and drug Ron back to the dance floor, leaving the two of them behind. "Harry?"

"Yes, Hermione, what?" Harry replied as he amusedly watched Ginny dance with Neville, avoiding the hazard of him stepping on her feet by her placing her feet on top of his and letting him move them both.

"Thanks, I had a good time" She looked as if she wanted to say something else, but the host calling last dance interrupted her. She got up and taking his hand led him to the dance floor, forgetting for a time, the nightmares and the pain, in this moment.

(A/N: Hope you liked this chapter. Unfortunately the payoff that you are waiting for is still a ways off, sorry. Next chapter, Ron gets his promised time in the sun, and action ensues.)

Built by Text2Html