Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

All the canon characters belong to Rowling, dang it.


Chapter 8, Of a Snake and a Lion
**********************Hogwarts, Room of Requirement***********************

September 6, 2004
5am

"Well lad, you had your time off, now your ass, once again is mine." Moody said with a smile as he paced before Harry. Harry had had the few days off since before he had returned to Hogwarts, and now he knew that Alastor would make him pay for his lapse. "However," Moody turned to Harry, with a triumphant grin, "I heard about your little escapade with the Malfoy boy, and you did good, especially with your lead time and what you had. So with that in mind, we'll play with these today," Like a muggle magician, Moody reached under his robes, and slowly brought forth a heavy, double-edged sword, about three feet long. It was plain, and utilitarian; Harry could tell that it was well cared for but also, somehow, that it had been used a great deal in the past.

Harry looked around the Room of Requirement, as it had last year, the room had outfitted itself as needed for their studies, in the case of Harry, and Alastor, the setting was much like it would be for meetings of the DA, of which Harry had one tonight, The walls were lined with tall shelves of books on various subjects in the realm of Dark Arts Defense. Such titles lined the shelves as Basic Wanded and Wandless Dueling and Transfiguration as a Means of Attack and Defense along with thousands of other similar titles. The floor was covered in a thick mat, and along one wall, an array of various magical devices to detect and combat dark arts lay on a long table. The one thing that was missing however was a weapon to call his own. "Hmm, Alastor, I seem to be missing something." Harry asked with a raised eyebrow, understandably nervous at facing Alastor Moody with only his bare hands vs. Alastor and his sword.

"Look behind you, Harry" came an unexpected, but very familiar voice. Harry turned to see Dumbledore standing there behind a simple wooden table. Neither Dumbledore nor the table had been there before, Harry was quite certain. On the table, was another object, a long wooden box, about four feet in length. The box was almost like a wand box, only much bigger, the only marking on the box, was a very fine carving of a rampaging lion, exactly as depicted on the Gryffindor house coat of arms, or had Harry been wearing them, his school robes. Harry looked at the box for a moment and then up to Dumbledore. As Harry had noticed earlier, Dumbledore seemed to have no problem with meeting his eyes this year, even though Harry had yet to master Occlumency fully. "Open it Harry." Dumbledore said with the air of someone waiting for a friend or child to open a Christmas present.

Harry reached out to the box and pulled it to the edge of the table nearest him. As he slid the cover from the box, slowly, hilt first a sword was revealed. The hilt of the sword was cord-wrapped in a diamond pattern over three rubies on each side of the grip. The guard of the sword, was similar to some Harry had seen held in the hands of the armor suits, consisting of a simple dark disk of steel, inscribed with runes. The blade itself was hidden in a wooden sheath that was oval in cross-section and closely fitted to the sword. Harry cautiously picked up the sword, still in its sheath and looked it over for a moment. "Thank you Professor, but I can't take this." Harry said, though his voice was filled with awe at the sword, even without drawing it, it seemed to belong there in his hand.

"It is not a gift per say, Harry, but more like a inheritance, or more properly a symbol of your fight and who you are, besides that sword, has belonged to you for years now." Dumbledore replied his voice full of what to Harry seemed to almost be pride.

"But I've never even seen this sword before." Harry objected confusedly, even though somewhere inside, he knew Dumbledore was right.

"I dare say you have Harry, draw the blade, and some of your questions will be answered"

Harry drew the sword and gasped slightly. The blade was about thee feet long, and basically similar to a Japanese katana, however this sword had the spine of the blade sharpened for approximately half its length, unlike the oriental blades. Some of Harry's questions were indeed answered with the sight of the blade even though more were created at the same time. Near the guard on both sides of the blade, a rampaging lion was engraved, and along the flat of one side of the blade, the name Godric Gryffindor was inscribed. "But the Gryffindor sword was smaller and different last time."

"Aw, you see the magic in the sword at part. As I witnessed you being able to wield the sword in your second year, I knew that it belonged to you. I said it at the time and I meant it, not only as a complement, but also the truth, that only a true Gryffindor could have drawn that sword. The reason it changed is that the sword changes to suit it's user, their size, strength and fighting style, however only the one that the sword has bonded to can use it, though the "one" can have various connotations, I'm still working that out. I confess that I had not looked into the history of this sword in depth, as I couldn't draw it anyway. But there are certain things I know about it that I can tell you, in case you are curious." Dumbledore said teasingly, a twinkle dancing in his eye. Harry just nodded voicelessly and he continued his explanation. "According to the records of the school, there were five swords forged just after the founding of Hogwarts. The one you hold now, obviously belonged to Godric, the reaming three founders also each received a sword, Rowena's was similar in properties to the one you hold now, Though the original form is thought to have been like a claymore or such, with hers being smaller, and lighter. Salazar's sword, did not have the ability to change to suit its user, but could act as a portkey in emergencies, and possibly had some other functions that have been lost to time. Helga's sword was particularly interesting, as it was made to heal and not to wound, it had no edge and could be used to amplify and focus her healing powers. The final sword was this one", Dumbledore flung back his outer robes, revealing the hilt to another sword, gems of color matching all four houses on its hilt. "This is the Headmaster's sword of Hogwarts, it is both a badge of office, and a means of protection of the school on many levels."

"But I've never seen or even heard of it." Harry replied as he took all of this in.

Dumbledore gave a weary smile and a slight headshake. "I am not surprised, even the formidable Miss Granger, probably would not have found this in her studies." Harry looked unsurprised at the mention of Hermione's name, just for a moment, he almost felt like defending his absent friend on the her research prowess, even though he knew Dumbledore had meant no insult, indeed just the opposite. "The existence of the swords is itself a secret. With the exception of my sword, here, the only other sword of the three that has been seen in the last thousand years is your sword, when it was drawn against the basilisk. As yours did, Rowena's will reappear to be presented to its proper owner when the time is right. And that person, if they appear in time, would be a great ally to us in our fight. Helga's disappeared after her death, but according to some legends I have read, she deeded that sword to the smith who originally created it, to render hers down to make healers insignia pins to symbolize peace. Though most have forgotten that story, I believe that it is the reason that healer's lapel pins are made of steel to this day. Salazar's sword also vanished with his death, though there is some evidence that the sword was passed down though his heirs. Finally the headmaster's sword has several roles, it is a symbol of my duty to my students, and it is a key both to my office, and the defenses of Hogwarts. I am sure that is one of the reasons that Delores was so intent on entering my office last year when I, umm, took my unexpected sabbatical."

Harry had been attentive during Dumbledore's explanation, but both he and Alastor were fingering their swords subconsciously, ready to begin what Mad-Eye had started when he drew his sword, but he was stopped by a raised hand. "No, Alastor, this time the honor is mine." Dumbledore suited his actions to his words, throwing his outer robe off to have more room to move, and at the same time showing Harry what his headmaster was wearing under his robes. Which turned out, amusingly, to be quite similar to what his much younger students wore, an old worn pair of jeans and a t-shirt that had the Hogwarts logo on it and a cartoon of two wizards looking up at a great Hibernian ridgeback, with the caption, "I told you not to wake the dragon, damn it."

Harry gave a slight grin, which he quickly extinguished as Dumbledore, brought his sword up to the salute and muttered "Protego Duelus". A brief flash lit the room, and without a word, Dumbledore struck at Harry's head. Harry instinctively flung up an arm to block, only to see the blade of Dumbledore's sword pass though his arm, leaving no damage except a brief flash of pain. Harry's eyes expanded in shock, until Dumbledore explained. "Harry in this room, the spell I just incanted allows us to practice without having to visit Poppy afterward, or worse. Now, shall we?" The great sword of Hogwarts came back up to a salute, and this time, Harry's mirrored it. In a flash of steel, the duel began.

Dumbledore tried his trick again, however this time, his ancient sword, met its brethren in a shower of sparks and a loud CLANK. Harry rotated his wrists and snapped a return cut at Dumbledore's midsection, only to have that blocked, and to block in turn a low strike by the Headmaster at his left leg.

The "duel" almost became a dance. As Harry or Albus would try a strike, the other would almost block it without thought, usually. With a quick strike Dumbledore drew the first "blood", as he fooled Harry into guarding low and cut at his shoulder, causing a flash of pain to snap though Harry's body.

After another minute or two, Harry turned the tables for a second, Dumbledore had the experience, but Harry was faster, though inwardly he had this funny feeling that both his mentor, and he himself were holding a great deal back. Harry snapped a quick cut at Dumbledore's mid-section, only to pull the feint as Dumbledore responded to the ruse, to spin around behind him and cut at his back, scoring what would have been a fatal hit if this were real, and to then to have his follow-up strike at Dumbledore's legs blocked. As one they both spun in opposite directions, to end up with each other's swords held an inch from the other's unprotected neck.

"Professor, I'm sorry" Harry panted; he had been lost in the moment.

With a hearty chuckle Dumbledore waved away the apology. "No Harry, there is no need, anyway I haven't had anyone who could press me in a practice duel in many years, either with sword, or wand. I enjoyed it."

Harry was confused somewhat at that last comment, "What about Mad-Eye, here or...Voldemort?"

Dumbledore's smile slipped a bit but flashed back quickly. "I said a practice duel Harry, anyway, Alastor, does have superior technique to you, at this point at least, though I dare say that you will surpass him quickly. But your speed, more than makes up for it, I almost had to, un hem, cheat, to stay with you occasionally, and I can say without being vain that my technique is superior to his." Dumbledore pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and cleaned the blade of the sword even though it was spotless, the blood was pretend after all, and sheathed the sword in a practiced movement. He summoned his outer robe from the couch where it had landed and threw it over himself, concealing the sword in its folds, looking once again the slightly eccentric headmaster of normalcy. "Anyway it looks as if it's time for you to leave," Harry glanced down at his watch to see that it was six am, an hour had passed to his amazement, " and you should go get ready for breakfast and class, I believe that you have Potions this morning?"

"Yeah," Harry responded grimly, "I do." Harry resheathed his sword and replaced it gingerly in the box. I have no idea where I'm going to keep this.

Mad-eye waved at them and left the room, muttering something about having to go prepare his own breakfast so he wouldn't be poisoned. Harry and Dumbledore followed at a more sedate pace, Dumbledore walking alongside Harry until they reached the branch of the corridor where they would go their separate ways. Looking at Dumbledore, he had to know, "Professor, where did you get that Hogwarts shirt?"

Dumbledore looked back at him with a twinkle in his eyes, silently laughing, "Fred and George sent it to me, they added it to their catalog. They say they got the idea from my leave-taking last year. Good morning Harry, I will see you this afternoon in class?" To Harry's nod he walked away, whistling a song that sounded amazingly like "Weasley is our King."

Harry shook his head and walked to Gryffindor tower and with the muttered password, the Fat Lady yawned and let him in.

For a moment Harry thought he was alone as he walked into the room, but as he started to turn to go to his staircase and room beyond, some instinct, caused him to turn to the fireplace and the couch in front of it. On the couch he saw an achingly familiar head of brown curly locks poking up just enough that he could see the crown of her head. Harry wheeled about and walked over to the couch and sat down next to Hermione, placing the sword box on the floor in front of them as he sat down. They sat there for a minute or two, staring into the fire, that the elves had started to combat the early morning chill and then Harry finally spoke. "Early morning or late night?"

From anyone else those words could have meant anything from an insult to a nasty insinuation, but from Harry she knew they were just concern. "Bit of both actually, Harry."

"Me too" He replied and both of them knew he meant about the same thing.

"So Harry, did Dumbledore say when I start training yet?" Hermione asked curious, but also just to talk.

"No, sorry Hermione." Harry replied, "I just wish..."

"What Harry?"

"That you didn't have to learn how to fight just because of me."

As he said the words he knew two things suddenly, that he did wish that, and that it was a mistake to say them this morning. "DAMN IT Harry, I am not a fragile doll, just because, you..." Hermione snapped, her head snapping around to his.

Harry quickly cut her off, taking the chance to stop her before she got truly started. Even Ron never had seen her true temper, not really, and Harry didn't want to this morning. "Sorry, Hermione, I didn't mean it like that."

With a sigh she visibly relaxed and dropped her head to his shoulder. "I know." With a look at the box, "What's that?" Harry bent forward and opened the box, pulling out the sheathed sword. He held it out for her inspection, and she took it into her hands. As one would normally do, she tried to pull the sword out, but to no avail. She tried three more times before giving up and handing it back to him. "What's that, a trick of the twins?"

She'd never let Ron off that easily, "Not quite" Harry slowly pulled the sword from the sheath and showed it to her again.

"Harry...that's the sword of Gryffindor" Hermione squealed. "I thought that sword was in the Headmaster's office, how do you have it?"

"Dumbledore gave it to me, he said that it belonged to me, and anyway you saw how only I could draw it." Harry explained than further told her what Dumbledore had said about the five swords.

"But I never heard about those." Hermione objected, annoyed at somehow missing that datum.

With a smile Harry turned fully to her after he had replaced the sword into the box. "Dumbledore mentioned that actually, about how you wouldn't have been able to find it." Hermione just huffed in response. Harry wrapped an arm around her shoulders, squeezed and just as quickly let go as he heard someone start down the stairs.

Hermione looked at Harry a little melancholy, I wouldn't have minded your arms stay there...wait that's Harry. Fortunately, she was saved from her inner voice by Seamus and Dean waving at them on the way past as they wandered down to breakfast. "Well Harry, we need to go change, and get some breakfast, we have a double with Snape in two hours."

"Sure, Hermione, I'll meet you back here in twenty minutes?" He replied as she got up.

"Only if you go take a shower, Harry." Hermione waved to him, and headed up her stairs, past Pavarti as she came down. Harry's eyes unconsciously followed her until she disappeared from sight, then he quickly hurried up his stairs. A sight that didn't go unnoticed, as Pavarti had paused at the portrait and had watched the two until they disappeared.

As Pavarti left the common room, her eyes rolled up in her head, if anyone else was shouting signals as loud as those two do to each other, then everyone else would be deaf.

Harry and Hermione had wandered down to breakfast, and lingered, each making small talk, until Ron finally sauntered into the door and plopped down next to Hermione, where she was sitting across from Harry at the long Gryffindor table. Fortunately both of them knew each other and their fellow Gryffindors so well by now no real concentration was needed for this task, as both of them had other thoughts on their minds. "So, are you ready for Snape yet again?" Ron said with a grimace.

"Yeah I read the book" Harry replied distractedly, his thoughts still on events this morning, both with Dumbledore and later. His friends looked at him with vastly different expressions. For her part Hermione gazed over at him, amazement and pride competing in her eyes. Ron was annoyed though, for some odd reason.

"You read the book, are you trying to turn into Hermione?" Ron replied, with the look of someone who had bit into an every flavor bean expecting cherry and getting bat's blood.

"Let's see Ron, what else would I have to do over the summer, locked in with the Dursley's, Quiddich perhaps?" Harry replied, with a touch of annoyance.

Hermione jumped in at this response, defending Harry, with an echo of what she had done against Tonks in Diagon Alley, "Just because Harry, would like to actually pass the class...Ronald, I think of the three of us, you would be the one who would see the need to study."

With glance at his watch, Harry sighed, "Let's just go, it's already 7:30, and the class starts at eight on the other side of the castle. Harry suited action to words, and grabbing his bag be stood and started towards the door. Without looking, he knew somehow, that Hermione had followed, and that Ron even though he was probably still pissed for some reason had too. Ron's been angry with Mione or me off and on all summer for some reason, and I don't know why, I guess he'll get over it.

As the three joined the queue in front of Snape's classroom they noticed that many of their classmates have made it, along with Malfoy of course. Harry did notice gleefully, that Crabbe and Goyle, were not present, they probably blew up the examiners or something, thought Harry satisfied. Snape finally deigned to appear a couple of minutes before class started and let the class through to take it's seats, glaring at all of the non-Sytherins as he let them pass, but reserving his best for Hermione, Harry, and especially Ron. Harry and Hermione had both received Os in their OWLs, and though he disliked them he couldn't with any defensibility reject their class applications, Ron on the other had, had received a A for "acceptable", a result much higher than the twins may have gotten, but far worse than the Es and Os that his other brothers had received. A fact that Molly had reminded him of, at least ten times since his owls had arrived at Grimmauld place. Ordinarily this would have kept him from the class, and his chosen career path of being an Auror, as Snape usually only took students with an O or occasionally an E into his NEWT level classes.

The trio took their seats in the rear, surrounded by several other Gryffindors: Lavender, Pavarti, Seamus, and Neville of all people, who had matched Harry and Hermione's Os to his own, and everyone else's for that matter, vast surprise. Snape took his position at the teacher's desk and faced the class.

He began snidely, "I will say this once, this is a NEWT level class. Your work will be graded to that level at all times, while this is a two year class, at the end of the year if you are not averaging a E or an O in this class you will be gone, and no one,"
glaring at Ron, "will be able to rectify your mistake. No matter what miracle you performed to get into here." He finished, his gaze passing over Harry and Neville in turn. Turning to the blackboard, he continued, his back to the class he waved his wand and words appeared on the board, "Today, we will attempt to make the Potion of Dreamless Slumber, useful if one is haunted by nightmares. Properly made, it allows the person who ingests it to sleep as they normally would but without dreams. Improperly made however, it causes the ingestor to fall into a coma, from which there is only a fifty, fifty chance of waking. With that in mind, I will partner you off and you will take each other's drafts, as I don't have time to slip into a coma." Snape turned and with an evil grin, he walked to the back of the class, "Hmm, Granger, you and Potter are partners." Snape proceeded to partner off the rest of the class, except Malfoy. Since there was an odd number, he said that he would test Malfoy's potion on a mouse. Snape returned to the front of the class, "Now who can tell me the method for making this potion...no not you Granger. Hmm Potter, and no help from your neighbor" He muttered the last, sotto voice; so the Sytherins in the front row could hear him, they sniggered on cue.

Beside him, Harry could almost feel Hermione want to respond to Snape's slight with a certain gesture, that would probably get her sent packing, but as usual she restrained herself. Harry was still thinking about the side effects on her if he got it wrong, and was thinking of quitting right now, but a quick glance in her direction fortified him. "Sir, the potion's base is one gallon of milk from a female unicorn. The milk should be boiled for exactly ten minutes, while being stirred every thirty seconds, in alternating directions starting counterclockwise. After the ten minutes have passed, the milk is removed from the heat, and eye of newt, one cup of ginger, and ten drops of Dragon's blood, preferably Hibernian Black, are added. That mix is allowed to sit for ten more minutes, and then cut in half with water. The diluted mixture is then heated again, with the same stirring pattern for thirty more minutes, and powdered dragon's claw is added and stirred until dissolved. Finally an owl feather is placed into the potion to soak until served, however if the person receiving the potion is particularly haunted by dreams and it is available, a phoenix feather is preferred." Harry finished, to a whispered, "yes" from Hermione as he nailed the recipe.

"Correct, Potter" Snape responded disbelievingly. Harry noticed that unlike if a Slytherin had given that answer, Gryffindor got no points, but at least he hadn't lost them any. His favorite target lost, Snape turned to Ron, "Weasley, what would happen if you forgot the Dragon's blood?"

"UHH, you grow a horn in your head?" Ron replied stupidly, as Hermione mimed beating her head against her desk beside Harry. Neville covered his eyes, both in shame, and in fear that he'd have to ingest Ron's potion.

"No Weasley, you make the nightmares...more intense, I believe that lapse is worth twenty points." Snape hissed in return. "Now your ingredients are over in the supply cabinet, except for the dragon's blood and claw, which I have at my desk. You will come up for those as needed. Begin you have one and a half hours." The class scurried to the cabinets to get their supplies.

With a muttered "Incendio" Harry lit his and Hermione's burners, leaned over to her and whispered. "Hermione, you don't have to take this potion, I mean I can drop out, I trust yours of course..."

She just replied softly, "Harry there's no one else here I trust more, you did get an O after all." She shut up abruptly as Snape shot a glance in their direction. After an hour both hers and Harry's potions, were done, and to Harry's great relief, both of them looked identical, both were a clear red, looking over, Harry could see that Neville's, was similar, with just a touch of cloudiness, a sign that he gotten distracted and stirred in the wrong direction. Ron's however, was opaque and yellow, He had done just as Snape had asked him and forgotten the dragon's blood. Hermione followed his gaze, swallowed, and said, "at least he didn't forget the dragon's claw. It'll just cause his nightmares to be bad tonight, sorry Harry." Harry nodded; he shared the same room as Neville. Hermione poured his and her potions into beakers, and gave Harry hers, "Cheers" with a touch of beakers, they swallowed the foul tasting concoction. "Congratulations I'm not in a coma." She said to him with a smile.

"Yeah"

The bell rang, and the class ran, most of them to try to escape before they lost any more house points, a couple of Ravenclaws to the stairs to the medical wing to get their stomachs pumped. Harry and his friends headed to the main doors, and outside to Hagrid's for class.

Hagrid's class went quickly, today, they were reviewing what they had learned about the wyverns on Friday, so there wasn't any real new information to occupy Hermione's mind. Which of course started to wander, as she started doodling on her parchment. "Alright, that's it get out o' 'ere" Hagrid announced, and with a jolt Hermione snapped back to the present. Looking down she quickly lined though the snitch she had drawn in the corner of her paper, and got up from the outside benches that Hagrid used instead of desks. She glanced over and saw that Harry and Ron were already heading up to the castle, absorbed in, from what she could hear, was a heated discussion on when to start tryouts. A whisper from about three feet above her ear reaches her. "'Ermione, I'm sorry if I made you angry with me Friday, it wasn't my place to ask."

Hermione turns and glances up at her giant professor, and friend. "No, it's alright Hagrid, you're a friend, and you were just trying to help."

"No lass, I meant about my other question." Hagrid muttered, which was a normal tone of voice for most people.

Hermione just shook her head as if to negate the question ever being asked and hurried off to join her friends, in their free hour before lunch, their only free hour today, as after lunch they had back-to-back doubles with McGonagall and Flitwick.

Both of those classes went well, with Harry and Hermione together, making up for the points that Ron had lost this morning, Harry with ten from McGonagall, for correctly transforming his bookbag into a trunk and back, and keeping the internal expansion charm working in both forms, and Hermione from Flitwick for charming a piece of paper into a origami snitch and having it fly around the room. Since it was sixth year, the professors, had already started giving homework, which to Ron's great disappointment, his friends, both of them, actually started on that night. As Harry and Hermione muttered over Snape's three foot essay on the limitations of Dragon's Blood as a restorative agent, Ron alternately griped about his having to do homework for McGonagall, since he didn't get the transfiguration right, and staring into the flames of the common room fire. Finally with a huff around ten, he stood up. "For the love of Merlin, It's only the second day of class." He barked exasperatedly.

Harry didn't even look up; he was busy explaining that only fresh Dragon's Blood really worked as a restorative, and that it really couldn't be preserved and still retain all of its magical properties. Hermione having already made that point met Ron's eyes, "Have you even got Hagrid's report done yet?"

"Well no, its Hagrid." Ron objected a little guiltily and walked up to his room and went to bed.

Hermione didn't reply but bent back to her essay, only to be interrupted by her other "boy" fifteen minutes later. "Hermione, I don't want you annoyed with me either, but I'm going cross-eyed here, I've been up since 4:30, and you know..." Harry said exhaustedly, to which she gave a reluctant nod.

"Yeah, me too, I just couldn't admit it to Ron, bloody essay isn't due until next week anyway." She rapidly stuffed her books and supplies into her bag and got up. "Night Harry."

"Goodnight, Mione" Harry replied as she vanished up the stairs, for his part he didn't even bother packing he just waved his wand at his pile and levitated it up to his room, were he dropped it on the floor next to his bed with a thump. Fortunately of the five people in his room, Harry was by far the lightest sleeper; no one even stirred at the noise. Glad I'm not a Death Eater sneaking in. Harry thought sarcastically. As he glanced out the window before he took off his glasses he noticed that the storm that had been predicted in the Daily Prophet for today seemed to finally be starting.

*********************Azkaban, North Sea**********************

September 7, 2004
1:00 am

Crashing waves, and howling winds hammered at a black stone fortress jutting from the sea, one hundred miles off the coast of Scotland. Flashes of lightning illuminated the fortress every few seconds. On muggle navigation charts this island was listed as uninhabited, uninhabitable and a navigation hazard to boot. Indeed if a muggle were to actually come across it for some reason, they would only see great ruins covering the island, and in the old days anyway, a great sense of loss only getting greater the closer they came near to it. To wizarding eyes however, the structure was intact, with spotlights illuminating the grounds, though it probably looked even more imposing to those eyes, as they knew the purpose of this place.

It was Azkaban prison, the home for those wizards and witches that were deemed incorrigible, or beyond redemption, or too powerful to keep anywhere else. At one time the prison had been stated to be escape proof until first Sirius Black, and later, several of Voldemort's followers, had escaped from its clutches. The later escape was suspect, as many thought that the now departed Dementors, the former wardens of this prison, had actively aided in the release of Voldemort followers. Of those who had escaped, several were back, though now under the guard of human wizards and witches.

On a hill overlooking the prison, three shadowy figures looked down upon it. With a flash of lighting a strange tableau was revealed. Of the three, the witch was the most normal, though with the weather, the only way one could tell her gender was the way her robes hung on her. The tall wizard next to her also had his hood up, but from within its depths, a red glow came forth. The final member of this trio was indeed only a shadow. It hovered slightly above the ground and faced the other two. No features could be made out about it except the two long-fingered, scaly hands that protruded from its robe.

"Yes, I will allow your kind to hunt freely among both muggles and wizards." Voldemort replied to an unheard question. "Are you ready then?" He asked the shadowy figure. To which he just received a slow nod. "Then go, and do not harm my followers, any others, do with as you wish. As the Dementor glided down to the prison, Voldemort's companion turned to him.

"My lord, why did you not use the Dementors to attack Hogwarts and Potter directly" Bellatrix Lestrange asked as screams started to echo from the prison.

"Patience, my dear." Voldemort replied almost lovingly, "Let us go to see our friends shall, we?" With a pop the two disapparated into the midst of the prison in front of a particular cell. "Lucius my friend how are you this evening?"

"Much better now my Lord," the blond-haired occupant of the cell replied from where he knelt in front of Voldemort, his prison uniform tattered, his hair stringy, but showing an air of maniacal glee.

************************Hogwarts, Gryffindor Common Room*****************

1:30 am

Harry had tried to sleep for an hour, but Neville's muttered nightmares from Ron's poor potion kept him awake. Making a mental note to remind himself to apologize, again, to his roommates about his own nightmares, he headed back down to the common room to sit and read since he was up anyway. As Harry headed down the stairs, lugging along the advanced Quiddich strategy book that Hermione had given him for his birthday, he noticed a very familiar head of brown hair illuminated by the firelight. With a grimace, not at her presence, but at the thought that somehow he had caused this, Harry plopped down next to her and sighed. "I remember this thing I used to do, I think it was called sleep."

"Yeah, don't remind me." Hermione replied, with a yawn "I knew it was you by the way."

"I knew that."

Hermione chuckled briefly at the standard come back, "the funny part is we both should have been able to get off tonight without any nightmares, you made that potion right, you know."

"So why are you up then, Mione, and it better not be homework." Harry replied worriedly, there was studying and then there was Hermione's idea of studying.

"You may have prepared the potion correctly, but Lavender didn't and Pavarti's up there crying out about bunny rabbits, don't ask, I don't know and don't want to." Hermione replied with a roll of her eyes.

"The same with Neville but without the rabbits, what are you reading anyway, Hermione?" Harry asked to be polite, only to laugh quietly at the copy of Hogwarts, a History, she held up. "Should I get you a new copy for Christmas or your birthday, since you will have this one worn out?"

"Nooo," she replied batting her eyes, since he was teasing her she'd return the favor, "but there is a new Arithmancy Puzzles for the Ages, by Thomas Angle that I'd like, I saw it but couldn't afford it."

"As my lady commands, when was your birthday anyway I forgot." Harry replied grinningly only to get a pillow in his face, and a sudden burning pain in his scar. "AGGGHHH" he muttered, holding his face in his hands.

Hermione had a sudden flash of guilt, as she thought for a moment that she had actually hurt him then she registered what was happening. She reached over and grabbed his head and pulled his face up to where she could see it and looked deep into his eyes. For just a millisecond, she thought his eyes glowed a bright electric blue, like Moody's magical one but far brighter, but it must have been just a trick of the firelight she told herself.

The pain in his scar had vanished the instant Hermione had grabbed him, though unlike before, Harry could tell that Voldemort had not succeeded in entering his mind, just a spike of Voldemort's glee?

"What?" Even through the receding pain Harry once again marveled at the fact that the two of them could have a conversion with only a few words shared, he never had that talent with Ron, only Hermione for some reason.

"Don't know, but I do know he's really happy about something. It's probably bad for our side, I'm sure." Harry replied shrugging slightly.

"We should contact Dumbledore right now, Harry" Hermione pleaded in response, her eyes even more than her words.

I should have listened to her last year; I won't make that mistake again. "Fine lets go." Harry replied setting his shoulders, he really didn't want to wake the Headmaster, but all in all it was probably safer than waking McGonagall. "Umm Mione" Harry said softly, consciously noticing something, his unconscious mind had noticed minutes before.

"Harry?"

"You might want to cover up a little" Harry replied with a grin, motioning to the relatively small t-shirt that didn't leave much to the imagination that she had tried to sleep in. "Here, Accio sweatshirt, cloak, map" Harry muttered with small wand flick, and one of his Gryffindor team sweatshirts floated in along with the Marauder's Map and his invisibility cloak.

"Thanks, Harry" she replied slightly embarrassed, as she pulled the shirt on, somehow Harry seeing her in her pajamas, was a far different thing than the Headmaster seeing the same. "Am I presentable now" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah," I miss the belly button ring already...down damn it he thought with just a touch of disappointment as he glanced over her in his sweatshirt over her sleep pants. Harry threw the cloak over both of them and they snuck out the portrait hole and down the corridor. Checking the map, they could see it was clear all the way to Dumbledore's stairs.

As they walked down the hall, Hermione muttered so only he could hear, "this would be easier if we could just apparate there, but no, we just have to have wards."

"You can apparate, Mione? Your birthday isn't until the nineteenth." Harry replied as they rounded the last corner and saw the gargoyle in sight.

"I knew that you knew when my birthday was...of course I know how, I'm just not licensed, and I bet you do too." She replied with a smirk that Harry didn't have to see to know was present.

With a guilty admission, "Actually I have a license, Dumbledore gave me the test, but it's pretty useless, since I can't apparate in school, and even at Hogsmeade, where would I go, I'm not Fred or George I can walk places you know."

"I knew it" she replied victoriously as they reached the guardian, "Skiving Snackboxes" The gargoyle stepped aside and they rode the stairs to the top, Harry pulling the cloak off of them as they rose. "I hope he's not asleep." Hermione said quietly as they reached the door.

"Hermione you wanted to come" Harry said with a grin at her sudden discomfort.

"I know, but still..." her further comments were cut off as a familiar voice from within the room said, "Come in"

Albus Dumbledore looked up as the two entered his office; fortunately he had discovered a while back that he needed very little sleep to function, which was of great benefit in his various roles. He glanced around and saw that all of the portraits appeared to be sleeping, and returned his gaze to his two students. Let's see, pajama's, so they weren't out doing something and got caught, though I didn't know that you could get that sweatshirt unless you were on the team, Dumbledore thought with an inner grin, once again reminded of a certain boy's parents. Also no professors in tow, having caught them at anything, besides, they both have the rights to wander the castle freely now anyway. So, must be something to do with Riddle, Dumbledore concluded sadly.

"Tell, him Harry" Hermione muttered, though Albus heard the hushed command rather well, his powers were formidable after all, and despite the subject, he was glad that his hands hid the sudden smile that bloomed on his face before he beat it back down.

"Ok, Mione" Harry replied in a whisper, and then turned to Dumbledore with an apologetic look. "Sir I'm"

"We"

"We're sorry to disturb you at this hour."

"It's ok you two, I'm sure that it's important." Dumbledore put in to stop the apologies and get to the meat.

"Anyway, we couldn't get any sleep, due to the effects of a potion on our roommates, so I came down to work on strategies, and found Hermione already down there. We were talking for a bit then I felt my scar acting up, and Voldemort, feeling I don't know, gleeful maybe, it was weird. There weren't any thoughts, then suddenly though it was like he couldn't get in was just standing outside yelling or something." Harry replied as he replayed the event in his mind.

"How exactly, Harry?" Dumbledore asked, with a very slight undercurrent of hope in his words.

"I felt his emotions, and I could feel that he started to try to get inside to gloat if nothing else, then Hermione grabbed me, and it was like he had a door slammed in his face, I don't understand sir. I've been practicing Occlumency, but I actually have only had very little instruction since when Professor Snape dropped me."

"Hermione, could you wait outside for a moment?" Dumbledore asked politely and caught the incremental nod Harry gave to her, as she looked at him. After she stepped out into the waiting area outside of his office, Dumbledore tuned back to Harry, "Harry, I'm going to try to enter your thoughts," As Harry reached for his wand, "You won't need that Harry, if I'm right." With a look of confusion Harry replaced his wand in a pocket, and sat looking at Dumbledore. "LEGILIMENS" For a brief moment, Dumbledore saw a couple of flashes of images fly by then as he saw a scene of Hermione laying on the floor, somewhere, seemingly dead, he was thrown out of Harry's mind with enough force to rock him back in his chair. Well that was interesting, Harry seems to have made a quantum leap in Occlumency since he was last tested, or something. That last image is probably the key. "Harry could you step out side and send Hermione in for a moment."

Harry got up and nodded, confused, but well aware that he had just tossed Dumbledore out of his mind, when less than three months before, Voldemort had had free reign. As Hermione stepped into the room, glancing back at the door where Harry waited, Dumbledore motioned to the chair in front of him that Harry had just left. "Hermione, I'm sure you have heard of Occlumency and Legilimency?" He continued as she said, "yes" quietly. "I am going to try to look into your thoughts, I promise that I won't dig too deep." As her eyes caught his "LEGILIMENS" as with Harry only brief, disconnected images caught his mind's eye until with a flash he saw Harry lying face down in a pool of blood, and he was thrown out just as hard as he had been ejected from Harry's I swear I am going to sack Snape in the morning, they're both naturals, wait that's not right, it's as if a switch has been turned on in them. "Harry come in please" Dumbledore said loudly to the door, it opened instantly, a sign that Harry had been waiting just outside. Dumbledore wasted no time with preamble, "Somehow between the last time you were tested, and now, you have both gained significant mental abilities, enough to forcibly block my intrusions."

"I haven't studied at that at all, except in a book" Hermione objected disbelievingly.

"Still the effect is the same, I will have to have Severus test you both also, but it seemed that you have both somehow gained a mastery of Occlumency. I would like you both to continue to study with myself if this does prove to be true, as the reverse technique, Legilimency should also be within your grasp."

Harry and Hermione were both speechless as they glanced over at each other, though each shared a similar thought, if I/Harry was a master at this, then how did Voldemort get in my/his mind last year?

"As to your original purpose here tonight...Fawkes" The phoenix hopped over to Dumbledore, took a hastily scribbled pair of parchments in his golden beak, and disappeared in a flash of light. "I don't know what has happened either, I sent Fawkes with messages to both Arthur and Alastor just in case, but I don't expect any word until morning, now go to bed you two, if you have to cast silencing charms on your roommates, I remember James used to have to do that to Sirius."


Built by Text2Html