Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Chapter 6: Back to Hogwarts.
********************12 Grimmauld Place, London*******************
September 1, 2004
6am

"195...196...197...198...199...200" Harry stopped the crunches he had been doing on the floor. He had done them daily since 2nd year, core strength was amazingly important to staying on a broom with bludgers whacking you, but since staring training with Moody he was doing more. He usually did them at night before bed; however, he had been busy last night and put them off. Hedwig stopped watching him, she had been tracking his head as it bobbed up and down and hooted at him. "I know girl, I'm a stupid human, and you wouldn't catch an owl dead doing any exercise except chasing food. Harry laughed at a replying indignant HOOT; I know that she understands me at times. This lull was interrupted by a soft knock on the door, "Come-in" Harry said from the floor.

Hermione walked in already dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, for a second, it gapped from where Harry was on the floor, giving him a flash of her navel. Bloody hell, when did she get a belly button ring? He thought suddenly as he glimpsed the green-jeweled ring that her shirt normally hid.

"What?" She asked with a half smile, and then she unselfconsciously pulled the hem of her shirt up to look at her navel. "Oh this, I got it in London the other day at a shop. Tonks, and Ginny dared me, and you know how much I hate to lose, besides I like it, though mum probably will hate it. I think Harry likes it...Well I thought of him when I picked out the color anyway.

Well I like it...For the love of Merlin Harry, for the last time, it's Hermione, And then a not so small voice anymore said. Yep it surely is.

Harry got up from the floor only to be pushed back by an outstretched hand, "You Potter, go take a shower, I'll pack your stuff." Hermione said as she fanned her nose.

"Yes, ma'am," Harry replied as he knew it annoyed her and taking a change of clothes from his trunk he walked off to the bathroom. Hermione watched him go out of the corner of her eye, and then started to pack Harry's few possessions that he had not already packed. A promise was a promise, and after all she was already done.

As she finished packing Harry's books, Hey that's where that one went, she thought finding one of her books and going ahead and putting it in Harry's trunk It's not like I don't know where he lives, Ron came in without knocking.

"Hermione, I thought Harry lived here?" Ron asked, in a strange tone.

"He does dufus." Hermione replied, as she rolled her eyes.

"Then why are you packing his stuff? Yeah why? Ron thought with a twinge of what was probably jealousy.

"I already had my stuff packed and I'm doing Harry a favor, ok Ronald" Hermione replied with a touch of annoyance, her voice growing cold.

Harry had been coming back from the bathroom, he caught the last couple of exchanges, he didn't know why but he hurried in to sidetrack the argument. "Because, I asked her to, ok Ron" Harry said as he walked into the room, he flashed a glance at Hermione as he passed. Hermione was both relieved and a little thankful at Harry as he deflected Ron, after all she had offered, she hadn't been asked.

"I was just asking sheesh," Ron responded, though he did give Harry an odd glance when both Hermione and Harry had turned to corral Hedwig who did not like the idea of going back in her cage even if it was only to the train.

"BREAKFAST" Molly Weasley yelled up the stairs and they went down to eat their last meal before they returned to Hogwarts.

As they sat to breakfast, a pile of food on everyone's plate, Hermione asked, curious, "Harry, what was Dumbledore talking to you about the train ride to school last evening?"

Crookshanks jumped up into Harry's lap and tried to extend a cautious paw to steal a sausage off Harry's plate. Harry looked down and slipped it to him, before Molly could see, and replied to Hermione, catching the brief smile that crossed her eyes as he snuck the cat food. "Oh I forgot to tell you two, I'm to go along with you two to the prefects meeting, as head of the DA, I'm supposed to help with security if need be on the train, and once we get to school, Dumbledore has something else about that, I'll find out later."

"That's cool Harry" Ron replied. So he basically gets to be a prefect without the badge, why aren't you jumping up to congratulate him this year Hermione?

All of them: Ginny, Harry, Hermione, and Ron hauled their belonging down to the first floor, where Remus and Moody, placed them in another of the ubiquitous black Ministry SUVs. As Tonks and Alastor were officially back on the roles as active Aurors, though officially seconded to Hogwarts, they could acquire Ministry vehicles for use in "official activities." And since Ron and Ginny were the children of the current Minister, they were officially "escorting" Ron and Ginny, though everyone knew that Harry was the real target. A fact that caused Harry a bit of heartburn, but he didn't comment, as he had already lost the argument. Harry and the rest gave Molly a goodbye hug and loaded up in the black Suburban. Tonks was once again driving and tossed in an Evanescence CD that she had picked up the other day. Moody was once again riding shotgun, with 5 people, and 4 familiars, (Ginny now had a kneazle named Spooky) spread out among the back of the vehicle.

"Remus, what are you going to be up to, now that we will be out of your hair?" Harry asked as he slid into Hermione, Tonks had just dodged a cab, whose driver flipped her the bird as she passed.

"While I thank you again for letting me stay at Grimmauld, it looks like you aren't getting rid of me that easily." Remus said, muffling a curse, as he rubbed his head. Tonks had somehow managed to hit a bump hard enough to launch him into the ceiling of the cab.

"What", Harry asked as Hermione grabbed his arm in fear, and he heard Ron mutter something with the words, "bloody" and "hell".

"Oh" Remus replied crossing himself after Tonks narrowly beat a double decker into a lane, "since madwoman, there..."

"I heard that Moony" came a female voice from the front.

"That wondrous font of witchhood," Remus corrected to Harry and Hermione's muffled laughter, "up there and Mad-Eye are officially attached to Hogwarts, they will be quartered there, and I am to help with DADA and the DA at times this year. So I'm going to ride the train. Don't worry I'll ride in the teachers compartment this time, I don't expect Dementors." He finished with a happy little smile.

"Funny Remus, remember I have the map and cloak" Harry muttered back, the treat implied.

Suddenly they came to a stop, a couple of cages crashing to the floor in a cloud of feathers. "We're here" came the cheerful announcement. After they had all gotten their stuff loaded on carts, Tonks and Mad-Eye bid them goodbye. Tonks had to go to the Ministry to deal with her arrest of Umbridge, and anyway as Remus had said, they would be at Hogwarts later anyway.

Everyone managed to make it though the barrier without incident this year, of course since Dobby was now working for Harry as the caretaker of Grimmauld Place, with a salary of course, which made Hermione happy, there wasn't too much danger in their getting locked out.

The group of friends boarded the train. Walking into their usual compartment, they found Luna and Neville already there. "Hi guys," Neville replied happily, this year he had a leash on the ever-escaping Trevor, and he hadn't escaped, yet.

"Hello," Luna replied with her usual airiness, though everyone now knew that it was an act, sort of, she really could be that air headed, but she was also very bright, and could be very focused when she needed to be, she just didn't always feel the need. She caught sight of Ron at the back of the pack, "Hi Ronald"

"Hey Luna" Ron called in a friendly voice.

"I didn't see you around the village, Ronald"

"Oh I was at Grimmauld place." Ron replied with a small shrug.

After the train started to pull away from the station, Hermione glanced down at her watch, "Come on Harry, Ginny, Ron" Neville looked up asking a question, he had seen Ginny's prefect badge and had congratulated her, but Harry?

"I am supposed to help with security Neville," Harry answered his silent question to which Neville just nodded; it made sense to him.

"Harry" Ron began as a sudden thought crossed his mind, "Malfoy"

"Oh that's right Harry," Hermione said, looking shocked that she had not thought of this, "He will still be a prefect, unless Dumbledore sacked him."

"It's ok Hermione, he won't try anything." Harry responded confidently though inside he had doubts. Harry was correct though. Beyond Harry's tonelessly worded introduction and the explanation by the new head girl, who just happened to be Cho Chang, that Harry had final say on security matters if something came up until Hogsmeade station, a revelation that shocked Harry with Dumbledore's trust in him, Malfoy just ignored him. The two new heads dismissed them all and they went back to their cars.

The day was to be without confrontation, however. As Harry and his companions were leaving to go back to their back to their compartment, Harry turned to ask Ron a question. Not looking where he was going, Harry bumped into the yielding softness of a person. A very familiar head of black hair turned to them. As she stepped back, her head girl badge throwing a flash of light in Harry's eyes, "Cho" Harry said neutrally, trying to stay on an even keel.

"Why it's Harry Potter and his friends, including Miss Hermione Granger, Why don't you just go out with him Hermione, you're all he talks about anyway, though I do have to tell you he's not that good a kisser. I guess he likes the nerds though, he is kinda weird." Cho said softly in an acidic tone.

"Cho, what the hell did I do to you?" Harry snapped back at her implied insult of his best friend, "If I remember properly..." He broke off suddenly as some first years started to come out into the hall only to dart back at his glare. Harry huffed a little and growled, "You were the one who broke up with me, and then set me up for a fall at the Quiddich match this summer."

Hermione had not heard this permutation; she had still been mulling Cho's initial comments, though somehow she didn't believe the kisser thing. She hadn't been called a nerd in a very long time, though that insult didn't really bother her. But the partial story about Harry being setup this summer for a fall by his ex- was very...bothering.

"I don't know, what about that Bilotuber pus bomb concoction that you sent me?" Cho shot back, then "GOODBYE" she snapped and walked away briskly.

Harry was confused; he had done no such thing. He pulled everyone into their normal compartment as soon as they reached it, and closed the door, he didn't bother to have Neville and Luna leave; they were friends. And after they went into the Department of Mysteries with him he trusted them explicitly. Though he had a sneaky feeling that his oldest friend was responsible for this exchange just past.

"Ronald, why do I think this is your fault?" Harry asked with an utterly flat tone to Ron who was sitting directly across from him. Hermione and Luna were on the bench next to him with Ginny sandwiched between her brother and Neville on the other side.

"Well mate, I sort of field-tested a new invention of Fred and George's," Ron said without a trace of guilt, and more than a little humor.

Harry dropped his head to his hands and used them to shake his head. Hermione patted his back supportively, to flash of annoyance from Ron, which just made her pat harder. After a moment Harry sat up, he hadn't minded Hermione's support, at least it was a sign that the majority of his friends had more common sense than a headless chicken, but his back was starting to get sore. "Ron...why?"

"Well after she did what she did, I thought I'd get you some payback." Ron replied, almost confused that Harry would think it a bad idea.

"Just never mind, Ron, never mind." Harry closed his eyes and took a nap. Hermione for her part spent the rest of the trip thinking about Cho's comment. Harry escaped the trip without any need for his security role.

The six had changed into school robes as they arrived. Walking to the coaches, Harry noticed that Hermione was studiously studying the ground, or the sky, or anywhere but the coaches. As the six of them grabbed a coach Hermione claimed a rear-facing seat. This was not her usual practice, as she liked to see the castle loom larger as they approached. The rest of them piled in, echoing their seating arrangement on the train. Hermione kept her gaze directly to the rear, even when Harry or Luna, who were sitting to either side of her, asked a question. With a sudden flash of insight Harry realized what Hermione was up to. She's trying not to see the thestrals.

Ron however didn't see the problem, "What's up Hermione, I thought you liked to see the castle, don't you want to look?" Glancing foreword Ron saw a thestral and suddenly figured it out. "Come on Hermione, afraid to see the pretty horses?" He teased.

"Leave me alone Ron," Hermione replied softly.

"Oh come on Hermione they are just big horses." Ron said with a grin as he waved toward the thestrals.

But Hermione just shook her head. Before Ron can say anything else, "Drop it Ron" Harry snapped. Ron did drop it, though he pouted at little at Harry for breaking up his fun. That prank on Cho, and now this with Hermione. I'm not that angry about the Cho thing though I was just going to drop it and let bygones be bygones. Looking back it was just a crush I had, but Hermione is my best friend, and at the rate Ron is going, she'll be my only best friend as she may kill him and I may help, Harry thought with a glare at his friend.

Arriving at the castle, the sextet dismounted their carriage. Harry instinctively walked between Hermione and the carriages so she wouldn't have to repeat the incident with the thestrals again. As he led the group into the Great Hall, one thought crossed his mind: I'm home. The hall was setup as usual for a sorting, the four great tables were set lengthwise of the hall, with the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables as far apart as possible. Set crosswise across the width of the Hall, the raised table for the staff sat mostly full of professors.

The only exceptions were two empty seats to the right of Dumbledore's golden chair, McGonagall's, and Hagrid's. Hagrid was, Harry knew currently leading a flotilla of small boats across the lake from Hogsmeade station, with the first years, and McGonagall, was most likely retrieving the sorting hat. As Harry watched, McGonagall came in, carrying an old wood stool and the very decrepit sorting hat, which was looking pretty spry for a thousand year old hat. As Harry sat, he looked up to see, innumerable candles floating in mid-air about halfway down from the rafters. The rafters themselves were invisible. However, the ceiling was covered in an exact duplicate of the outside sky, including to Harry's amusement, the moving lights of a muggle jet that was over flying the castle right now, unknown to the muggles aboard. Hundred of banners hung down, all showing the red and gold of Gryffindor, and the rampaging lion, from the awarding of the house cup for last year.

Dumbledore stood, and raised a hand for silence. He pointed at the great doors to the hall, which opened to reveal a herd of nervous first years, McGonagall and Hagrid at their head. He waved them forward and they came in a long shaking line, to stop shy of the stool with the hat. McGonagall walked ahead to the stool, and looked up at Dumbledore waiting for the signal to begin. However tonight, she, along with the rest of the school, got a surprise. "Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, for those of you who are returning, welcome back, to those of you joining us tonight for the first time, I am sure that your next seven years will be the most rewarding and may I say adventurous of your life." He completed the last looking directly at Harry and his friends, a twinkle in his eye. Harry just smiled back at him tightly, and marked an invisible tally on a scoreboard.

Dumbledore went on. "Before we begin the sorting of the first year students, a momentous thing happened to me today. As I was preparing for tonight, the sorting hat informed me that it had become necessary for a current student to be resorted into another house." To the shocked silence Dumbledore called out, "Will Luna Melanie Lovegood please come forward." At the Gryffindor table, Harry and the rest looked at each other dumbfounded, while at the Ravenclaw table, the students looked about the hall as if wondering where she will go. Cho glanced over at Gryffindor, as if this too was Harry's fault, though once again he's blameless of this at least. Luna for her part, had been shocked out of her usual poise, she was looking around nervously as she went to the to the stool and sat, she was much larger than the last time that she sat in this place.

McGonagall gave a short shrug and set the hat on Luna's head. It began to sing:

Long ago I was unneeded, all the houses were as one,
Then that all came undone
This one's intelligence is true,
But at heart, her colors are not bronze and blue
As I did twice six years ago
I must override my initial call
Her heart is of a lion, so to Gryffindor she must go.

With the hat's final words the Gryffindor table exploded. Ginny was hopping up and down and the rest were hooting and hollering. Luna for her part just gave a little smile as she turned to Dumbledore, who beamed down on her, "The hat has spoken and as it has been for a thousand years, so shall it be." With a wave of his wand, Luna's uniform colors changed from the blue and bronze of Ravenclaw, to the red and gold of Gryffindor. On her chest, the eagle mascot of Ravenclaw changed to the rampaging lion of Gryffindor. Luna walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat down between Ron and Ginny, who have made a space for her. Ginny gave her a crushing hug and whispered welcome into her ear.

The rest of the sorting went by without Harry noticing much, the hat gave its now usual warnings of impending danger and the need for uniting against outside threats, He did notice that one of the first years that popped out on the train during his argument with Cho, a Jennifer McCoy, was in Gryffindor, and that some kid with the last name of Blackheart went into Slytherin, which he thought appropriate. He tuned back in to Dumbledore as he started to speak, though mostly due to an elbow in the ribs from Hermione.

"Now that you are all in your proper places, a few announcements, first all first year students are to be informed that the forest on the grounds and the third floor are out of bounds. Second, Mr. Flitch our housekeeper, has asked me, to once again remind you, that magic is forbidden in the halls between classes, and that the list of prohibited items is posted outside of his office, I have been told that the list is upwards of 500 items." At this Fred and George stood and grasped their hands above their heads in celebration, only to lower them quickly at a glare from McGonagall. A great many of the listed items were their creations after all. "I am also pleased to inform you that replacement Captains for the Slytherin and Gryffindor House Quiddich teams have been selected. For Slytherin House, Professor Snape has chosen to have Draco Malfoy, fill the position." Dumbledore paused as applause from the Slytherins and outright heckling from the Gryffindors, and several members of other houses too, filled the hall. After the celebration had ended, "And for Gryffindor, I am pleased that Professor McGonagall has seen fit to appoint Co-Captains, Ronald Weasley and Harry Potter."

The ruckus of before was reborn, the only difference was that it was louder, and the cheering and booing were reversed. At motions from Neville, Ginny and Hermione, Harry and Ron stood and waved, Harry sat down quickly with Ron taking a little while longer. After McGonagall got them quieted down with a glare, though Harry noticed that the glare wasn't even half-hearted when it passed over Gryffindor, Dumbledore finished his announcements. "Finally I have two announcements with regards to your school work, which is why we are supposed to be here," a muted chuckle broke out at this, "Due to the less than satisfactory way in which the Defense Against the Dark Arts post was filled last year," Boos came from almost everywhere, Umbridge had been almost the most hated professor ever in the history of Hogwarts, even Snape didn't come close, "I will be filling that position myself," The hall erupted again, at this announcement, "Due however to my schedule, I will have guest lecturers at times, and I expect you to treat them as if you would treat myself. Also in this subject, the Defense Association that was founded last year, by your fellow students has been granted official status. The president of that association, Mr. Potter, will be functionally equivalent to a Prefect and should be given respect accordingly. Fourth years and above from any house are eligible to join, please see, Mr. Potter or Miss Granger if you are interested."

Harry had known that the Dumbledore's Army had been given full status, but the revelations of his Quasi-Prefect status, and the statement that members of any house would be accepted had rocked him, it had rocked Hermione too evidentially, "Harry!" She whispered urgently, asking the question?

"I'm shocked too, and the part about accepting anyone." Harry whispered back, his shock evident.

"At least you are a Prefect now, mate, sort of anyway" Ron put in quietly having leaned across the table. Almost as if on command, a flash of light two quick for anyone to notice except Harry and his friends erupted by his head, and a letter settled in his hands. Harry pulled the letter in close, and angling it so Hermione sitting next to him can read along, it he opened it and began to read.

Harry,

Please come to my office at 10:oo pm tonight. Mr. Flitch and the other staff have already been informed that you have permanent permission to be out of your dorm at that hour, do not abuse this privilege. Bring Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley if you want, as it will save you time explaining to them later. While you are permitted to be outside of your house it may be advisable to remain unseen nevertheless. The password for this year is "Skiving Snackboxes" in honor of Mr. and Mr. Weasley

Albus Dumbledore.

The feast ended, and Hermione, Ron and Ginny led the Gryffindor first years to the common room. They proceeded, giving the usual advice on what to avoid, how to tell if Peeves is after you and other necessary information. The first years, looked around the Gryffindor common room in awe, though it is honestly a little shabby. The older students just took the room in stride, some heading up to their dorms to go through their stuff, some hanging out in the common room with their friends.

After most of the students had given up for the night, Harry bid Ron and Hermione goodnight and headed for the stairs to the 6th year boys room. Ron and Hermione waited a couple of minutes, and muttering something about "bloody patrols" Ron led Hermione to the portrait hole. They walked out of it casually; only the portrait seemed to stay open for just a few more seconds than usual. Not that anyone would notice.

Hermione and Ron paused in an alcove just down the hall from the Gryffindor stairs. "We're clear" Hermione said softly and a patch of messy black hair, followed by the rest of Harry appeared next to them. "Ok Harry, how do you want to get there, without us getting noticed, though technically all us have the authority to be out?"

Harry grinned and pulled out an old stained piece of parchment, "we cheat of course, Hermione", He tapped the parchment with his wand, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." A map of Hogwarts appeared on the parchment, emblems of a stag, a wolf, a dog and a rat were in the corners, and if one looked closely one could see little labeled moving dots. Including one of Dumbledore in his office, no doubt waiting on them and ones of Mrs. Norris and Mr. Flitch, the student hating tag team. Mrs. Norris was safely out of the way in the medical wing, however Flitch seemed to be walking back and forth in the very hallway that they needed to go down to get to Dumbledore's office. Harry pointed to the dot and frowned. "Well what should we do about him, we can't all fit under the cloak anymore," He commented looking at Ron. Ron had had another of his growth sprits and he was now well over six feet, inches taller than Harry's or Hermione's respective 5' 10" or 5' 9". Of course if Harry hadn't been malnourished for almost his entire childhood it probably would have been different, but there it was.

"Simple mate, " Ron responded eagerly, "We distract him." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled a WeasleyWhizBang firework from his pocket, and set it on a banister. "I just apply a five minute delay to the fuse," he pulled his wand and touched the end of the fuse, "Incendio impediata five memento" ... "and now we run". And he did, to a corner, around which he could glance and see Flitch if he peaked.

Harry and Hermione exchanged glances, and ran after him, speechless. After they caught up to Ron who had just peeked around the corner. "Now what Ron?" Harry asked in a whisper, this idea is either brilliant or I may kill him, we'll see

Ron glanced at his watch, "Okay under the cloak you two," Harry shrugged but threw the cloak over him and Hermione. "One minute, stay here" Ron boldly walked around the corner to where Flitch was standing. Harry and Hermione stepped around the corner as they were invisible, but other wise stayed where they were.

"What do you want Weasley?" Flitch growled.

"I am a prefect and I am working, in fact I am trying to track down a rumor that someone will set off fireworks in the hall tonight." Ron replied, with a very good impression of Percy.

Flitch blanched, during last year's fireworks protest, the fireworks had kept going off for almost two days, and had caused him and Umbridge to chase them all over the grounds. As if Ron's pronouncement was a signal, the roar of a golden dragon firework came out of the hall way he had just came from. "Weasley you go that way," He pointed behind him, coincidentally towards Dumbledore's office, "and I'll go after that one, let's see if we can catch the buggers." The old Squibb took off. Ron walked to the gargoyle guarding Dumbledore's office and muttered "Skiving snackboxes. " The gargoyle nodded and stepped aside. A rotating stair started spiraling upward, and Ron stepped on it. "Dumbarse git" He muttered and muted laughter from out of nowhere responded to his pronouncement.

He knocked on Dumbledore's heavy oak door using the griffin knocker, and hearing a familiar voice, "enter" he opened the door and stepped though.

Dumbledore looked up from his huge desk covered with parchments, and various implements of Wizarding, and said quietly, "Harry and Hermione, you can come out now." With a flutter of a cloak, the two mentioned appeared standing before Dumbledore's desk. With a wave of his hand, three comfortable, old overstuffed chairs appeared before the desk. Harry dropped into the center chair with Hermione and Ron to either side of him. Harry was somewhat relieved, if he were in trouble, Dumbledore might not even have bothered with the chairs. Another relieving confirmation was that Dumbledore; unlike this time last year, had no compunctions about meeting Harry's eyes, though both of them know it could be dangerous. Harry took a second to glance around the pandemonium filled office. From where Harry was sitting, he could see the portrait of Sirius' grandfather in his Slytherin robes. Phineas was asleep, or most likely pretending as Harry assumed most of the rest were doing.

"Good job with the distraction, Ronald." Dumbledore said with a smile, "Shows a good sense of strategy using an opponents weakness against him. However, you should really look into Prefects having such prohibited items at school." Eyes twinkling, he turned to Harry. "Harry I called you here to discuss several items that I announced in the welcome feast this evening, and no the Gryffindor Quiddich arrangements are not part of that. Congratulations however on Ronald's and your appointments as captain."

"The DA" Harry said, his mind flashing back over the speech. Fawkes trilled softly from his perch and hopped down to Dumbledore's desk. "The Slytherin part..."

"Yes, Harry and your position...that is what I have asked you here tonight to discuss. I have also allowed your friends to come, as I would save you time that you would otherwise waste on informing them of this conversation, and second as senior members of the DA they should know, especially Hermione as she is your de facto second in command of my army." The grin was growing larger by the second. "First as to the DA, I was not kidding when I said that any student, regardless of house was welcome."

"But Professor, why should we teach our enemies anything." Ron snapped with a tone of almost total disbelief. "They will only use it against us."

"Mr. Weasley for two reasons, both of them strategic on our parts. First as an old Muggle philosopher once said, keep your friends close, your enemies closer. And second not all of Slytherin House is composed of Death Eaters in waiting. Some of them may prove valuable in the end."

"Professor, who..." Hermione asked; eager to know who in Slytherin was not all bad.

Dumbledore, did not answer the question, he merely went, on, a point that Hermione found annoying at best. "As to you, Harry, you are not responsible for enforcing school rules, other than if some event may effect the school's safety. You do not have to patrol the halls as the other prefects do, however you may if you wish. I wish mainly to have you help coordinate the activities of the DA with myself as DADA instructor and possibly directly with the Order if necessary, though I hope that it will not be so. As you can imagine I would like for the last to remain confidential. I would imagine that you four would like to get back to the tower, I will see you in my class tomorrow, I imagine."

"Professor" Harry interjected, "why have us continue the DA at all, why not just induct us into the Order?"

"Because I promised Sirius that I would not do so until you were of age," Dumbledore replied to Harry's shock. "And I would not induct your friends without you. As I have said before, I have made promises that I must keep." Harry just nodded, he might not like the reason but he understood keeping a promise all too well.

The three turned and headed for the door, only to be stopped once more, "by the way, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore said as a parting shot, " I have overridden Professor Snape, and have convinced him to allow you to take his NEWT level potions, Do not disappoint me." Ron nodded, his Adam's apple visibly gulping.

As they were approaching Gryffindor tower, Ron looked over at the other two, since the map was clear, they had been able to return without any tricks. "Hermione?" Ron said knowing that she knew the question already.

Hermione sighed and returned his gaze, "Ron I'll make the same deal that I made with Harry, I'll help but I'm not doing your work, that's what got you to the point where Dumbledore had to convince Snape to let you into the class in the first place." Ron just nodded, as he felt it was the best he was going to get for now. Harry, however, slightly raised an eyebrow to Hermione from where he was standing behind Ron. He knew full well that she never made any such deal with him, he hadn't even thought of asking. Hermione gave him a tiny shake of her head. They all entered the common room, which was mostly deserted, and Ron, yawing, gave his goodnights and headed up the stairs.

"Coming Harry?" Ron asked from halfway up the stairs.

"Just a sec," Harry replied, motioning towards Crookshanks who had somehow untied his laces. Ron nodded and headed up the stairs.

"Ok Mione?" Harry asked bending down to tie his shoes. "That was good work untying my shoes while Ron wasn't looking" motioning to her wand that she was holding down by her leg to hide it.

"Thanks," She replied blushing a bit at the compliment, then with a slight frown, "Sorry, Harry, I know that you never asked me to do your work, but both of you used to, and me ending up basically doing Ron's work at times is why he had to have Dumbledore get him into Potions. I never really had to do yours, usually, just correct it" she finished with a shrug.

"All right, night then," Harry said and headed off the stairs. I wonder why she thought she had to lie to Ron?

Below him, Hermione watched until he disappeared, then with a tiny shrug, she too went to bed.


Built by Text2Html