Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Chapter 26: Back to the Muggles, one last time
********************Train platform, Hogsmeade**********************
June 13, 2005

Wafts of smoke could be seen hovering over Hogsmeade, a week after the battle with Voldemort's forces. Magical fires were particularly hard to extinguish and the dragons breath that destroyed Honeydukes, with it full of young Hogwarts students and Zonkos, similarly full, had been truly hard to handle. Hardened Aurors had come from those places with tears in their eyes. Nymphadora Tonks, a veteran Auror, had broken down in the street, crying as a first year Gryffindor girl was carried lifeless from the wreckage of the candy shop. Lupin had picked her up and led her off, back to Hogwarts, weeping into his shoulder the whole time.

This was the first time, even after the rise of Voldemort in the Triwizard in his fourth year, that teachers and prefects had actually escorted students back to the train with wands drawn. Harry even though he was not a prefect per say, led the security contingent of prefects and DA members in leading the students onto the platform. And anyway the head boy and head girl still weren't in any condition to discharge their duties. As he was helping a first year Hufflepuff onto the train, he caught Ron's eye, but Ron looked quickly away. Damn it, Ron, we'd both take your apology if you'd even talk to us. I'll even apologize, even though I don't think I should. As he thought this, Ginny wandered up to him, her wand in hand.

"Harry" as she noticed the direction of his agonized gaze, "don't worry, he's being a prat, he'll get over it." She pronounced as if it were already so. "Besides, I think someone else will find him," nodding over to a blond girl with a wand stuck behind her ear, who was helping a pair of injured third years onto the train.

"Maybe, " Harry replied weakly.

"Hey Ginny," Hermione said to the tiny girl next to Harry, "have you seen my boyfriend anywhere?" Harry just rolled his eyes, why girls find this particular joke funny he will never comprehend fully.

"I don't know Hermione, what does he look like?" Ginny replied with a grin, Harry for his part scanned the length of the train and seeing that all of the students with the exception of the DA members and prefects were aboard, He waved them on the train.

"Well he's kind of funny looking, he's got black hair that sticks up in all directions, and a scar and these green eyes." She replied then, "EEK"

Harry reached over and pulled her into an embrace, he sunk his lips to hers and they were quiet for a moment. With a shared grunt, they slightly pulled apart, with their foreheads together. Looking into her chocolate eyes, from only a few inches away Harry asked softly "ready love?"

"Yeah, at least we have the whole train ride." She replied hopefully, though her hopes were dashed quickly.

"Sort of, Mione, We have to help patrol the train on the way back. Sorry, Dumbledore's orders. You can be my partner though." Harry finished with a shrug, though both of them would have much preferred to sit in a compartment together and hold each other until they arrived at the platform, and much longer of course.

Hermione nodded sadly against his head, and then a booming voice interrupted them. ""arry, "ermione we have to go." Hagrid said a little wistfully. The huge professor had his "umbrella" in hand and a giant crossbow slung across his back, yet another reminder of what had happened.

"All right Hagrid, I've got the train until King's Cross, and I think Tonks, Lupin and Moody are covering the platform there." Harry replied with a grimace as he pulled Hermione onto the train after him. Hagrid just nodded and waved at the conductor. The red and gold train pulled away from Hogsmeade station, Harry and Hermione waving to Hagrid until he was out of sight. After several silent moments of staring at the now vanished Hogsmeade, Harry turned to her, "Lets go, and find everyone else before we have to start with looking after the train car." Harry and Hermione walked to their usual compartment, opened the door and found, Ginny, Neville, Luna and...Ron sitting there already. A conversion had been taking place before they arrived, but on their arrival it stopped. Ron looked up and seeing them, just got up and walked out of the compartment, brushing by Harry on the way without saying a word. Luna watched him leave with her eyes, then sighed and opened a copy of the Quibbler she had on her lap. She started reading it upside down, then...

"I wish that you'd make up the auras in this car are horrible." Luna stated succinctly and started reading her article on fire-crested kneazles, who were plotting to take over the world.

"Umm, Harry, Hermione..." Ginny began only to be interrupted by Harry.

"Gin it's ok, we don't hold anything against him, or any of your family for that matter." Harry said trying to placate the tiny fire-haired witch.

"I should hope not" Ginny replied with a smile however forced, "I'll work on him ok." She finished to which Harry and Hermione nodded.

The rest of the ride passed too quickly, though it was peaceful. Ron never did come back to the compartment as he spent the rest of the trip patrolling the cars. Harry and Hermione did run into him in one of the middle cars, when he saw them, he just turned and walked away, an action that caused a lump in Harry's throat, and a soft gasp from Hermione. As if their problems weren't enough, at that moment, Draco came walking into the car, technically he was a prefect, and was theoretically on patrol. Draco had been conveniently sick that last Hogsmeade weekend, and the circumstances behind Hermione's near fatal plunge from the Quiddich stands a few months earlier were also still suspect, despite his alibi at the time. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on one's belief in vengeance, Draco merely contented himself to a small smile at Ron's quick departure and left them hastily.

As they pulled into the station, Harry saw Moody, Tonks and Lupin along with several other Aurors standing security on the platform. "All right lets go," Harry said to his friends still minus Ron, but all of them even Luna knew that was exactly the last thing that he wanted to happen.

"Harry!" Tonks cried happily seeing him and the others on the platform. Harry hadn't seen her since Lupin had dragged her away from Hogsmeade. She looked much better than she had then, she had broken down so far that day, she had lost control of her metamorphmangus abilities and her hair had gone back to her natural color. She had it long, sleek and dark brown today though, so Harry could tell she was back in control, though he knew Dumbledore wouldn't have sent her if he thought she was sub par.

"Hey Tonks," Hermione said seeing Tonks on the platform, also noting her improved condition. Then turning back to Harry, she grabbed him tightly and whispered, "Are you sure? I know I could get mum to let you stay."

"Damn blood magic, love, I'm sorry, I tried, or alternatively just go straight to Grimmauld place, but I'm supposed to stay until my birthday. I was going to ask you, but I... sort of forgot with everything." Harry muttered back to her.

"Yes, Harry?" She replied with a look that told him that she would agree to anything, including running away from all of this with him.

"Could you please take Hedwig until...you're about the only one she will let keep her." He asked hopefully.

Hermione returned his gaze, understanding everything else that wasn't said, "What's a second familiar, of course I will."

"Uh Hem, Ok' you two we have to go" Lupin interrupted them; though it was obvious that was the last thing in the world he wanted to do. They looked up and saw the that the platform was more or less empty except for the Weasleys, the wizards working security and the Grangers, who the Weasleys must have pulled though onto the platform with them. "Go love, I..." Hermione granted him a quick kiss and ran to her parents, and gave them a crushing hug. Harry followed at a more sedate pace.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Granger..." Harry began uncertainly, the last time he had seen the Grangers, after their escape from Death Eaters, Hermione's father had had mixed feelings for him. In the end though he had been more or less accepting, but there still was that ever-present guilt that Harry felt over the circumstances of their last meeting.

"Harry, you know our names," Jane Granger replied with a smile, "Harry we aren't mad at you, really, we know what happened, well as much as muggles can anyway." Harry looked up at them hopefully and Roger just nodded, Jane drew him into an embrace like he was one of her own, while Hermione, though somewhat shocked, beamed. Hermione looked at her mum and getting a small knowing nod in turn, ran back to Harry and gave him a kiss, much longer this time. Then with a whispered "bye love, I'll send Hedwig with letters every day," Hermione grabbed her parent's hands and pulled them though the platform wall.

Harry smiled at the wall, That was the idea love, though Hedwig will be mad at both of us, if she has to fly back and forth between Canton and Little Whinging every day. Then with a sigh, he turned to Lupin, " They here Remus?" Harry asked bitterly, referring to the Dursleys.

"Yeah, no one would pull them through the wall even if they wanted to come in." Remus said with a growl, "I can forget that you and Hermione uncoupled me from the full moon, one's coming up, can I come stay in your Aunt and Uncle's bedroom?" Remus said, a sudden happy thought crossing his mind.

"I would love it, but better not." Harry shot back as they passed though the barrier. As he witnessed the Dursleys waiting impatiently Harry groaned softly, "I guess this is it? Will you be around this summer?" Remus hugged Harry goodbye.

"Sometimes...I'm splitting time between the Dursleys and the Grangers. As long as she's at her parents place, Dumbledore has her covered this summer almost as much as you. If I'm on, I'll be right outside if you really need me I have the 7-12 shift." Lupin replied softly. Harry gave him a quick smile at the mention of the protection for Hermione also. Remus nodded and walked back though the barrier.

Harry wheeled his cart over to the Dursleys. Vernon said without preamble, "Is that one of your freaks...boy?" Vernon's mustache was quivering with annoyance at the very thought of sharing the same air, with Lupin or any wizard or witch.

"Yep, he's a werewolf too." Harry replied distantly, missing the quiver that his aunt showed at the words. He was distracted as he noticed that Hermione had not yet left, she and her parents had stopped to grab a cup of coffee at a stand prior to their drive. She tuned and saw him and gave a little wave, which he returned, happily.

"AWW Harry has a girlfriend," Dudley pronounced, a vapid expression on his face. Then suddenly his beady eyes glowed with an odd cruel glint, "Ohh Harry, you still can't use magic outside of school right."

"Yah," Harry replied, not paying attention to the "conversation" with Dudley. His entire attention was focused on the bushy haired girl at the other end of the concourse.

"Good" Dudley hammered his fist into Harry's stomach, dropping him to his knees instantly, as he had not been at all ready for it.

One hundred yards away, a coffee cup fell in slow motion, and the electric lights in the station started to flicker.

***********************Platform 9 3/4******************************

Tonks and Remus were dismissing the Aurors to go back to their normal duties, when they felt a familiar feeling, "HARRY" Remus exclaimed.

"No that's not Harry," replied Tonks who was a little more sensitive to subtle variations in individual magic. Their eyes grew huge and as one she, Lupin and Moody sprinted for the barrier.

***********************Main Concourse King's Cross****************

Hermione was walking slowly, purposefully, towards the Dursleys; Harry was still curled up on the ground. As she advanced, glass shattered on vending machines, ticket windows and the like. Her eyes began to flicker with a blue glow; so similar to that Harry had shown just a week before and her hair began to blow in a non-existent breeze. She stopped a few yards away and raised a hand to the Dursleys, who started to levitate; Dudley and Vernon were squealing like large pigs, Petunia on the other hand almost seemed resigned to their fate as the three slowly began to rotate several feet in the air.

Two crucial events happened at the same time; Harry got up and Tonks, Remus and Moody crashed though the barrier. Tonks saw the Dursleys, and then glanced over to Hermione. Instantly adding one and one to make two, she cast a stunner at Hermione, only to have it blocked by a hastily cast protection spell from Harry. "NO TONKS" Harry screamed and dove at Hermione, rolling to take the fall on his back, and to break her concentration. He knew from experience that she was the only one that could get close enough to him when he was in a similar state and he assumed that it was the same for her. As they hit the ground, the Dursleys fell from the air into a large quivering pile with a loud THUMP. "Calm down, love, calm down," he whispered into her hair, his arms firmly around her.

"Harry?" A shaky whisper replied as her eyes slowly faded to brown, "I'm sorry I saw that fat bastard punch you and you fell..." she paused, then, "think I'm expelled?"

Harry's lips twitched into a sly grin, "No love, if they didn't expel me for blowing up Aunt Marge, then I think you're safe." Harry planted a soft kiss on the top of her head and pulled them both to their feet. He handed her to her parents who, unlike the Dursleys would have, had charged though the magic storm to their daughter. "Take care of her for me?" Harry asked Hermione's parents. Roger just nodded, this time with gratitude and a hint of respect.

"I will Harry." Roger replied, as he hugged his daughter protectively, and glared over at the Dursleys.

At that very moment, Albus Dumbledore appeared silently. He was dressed as a muggle in a very old pair of jeans and a decrepit Hawaiian shirt; his hair was tied back into a tail. Looking for all the world like a spry old hippie on vacation. He walked over to Harry, and crooking a finger he beckoned Harry to follow. "Sir, I..."

"I know Harry, You were watching Hermione and Dudley decked you for some reason or other. Hermione saw you fall and she lost control." Dumbledore raised his hand and "Protego, Memonous," A yellow bubble appeared for a second around all of the magical people in the area along with the Grangers and the Dursleys. Then a second incantation, "OBLIVATE AREUM" suddenly all of the Muggles who had been watching from the perimeter, suddenly stopped looking at them, and started going about their business. Dumbledore pointed at the Dursleys and thundered commandingly "STAY" and they froze to the spot where they were standing. Without another glance at them, he and Harry walked back over to the Grangers. "I did not erase your memories Roger and Jane, please do not spread this, as I will have to report I have." Dumbledore said with a wry smile, which Hermione's parents returned. "Ok you two say your goodbyes, I daresay for the 4th or 5th time." Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eye. One could still see the Dursleys quivering where he had told them to stay. Roger chuckled softly as he released his daughter back to Harry.

Harry pulled Hermione back into another embrace, and heedless of the audience, they pushed their lips together, like they wouldn't see each other again, even though it would probably be only a month. After a moment desperate for air, they finally pulled apart, Hermione's lower lip dragging as they pulled away. "I will be there to get you on your birthday, Harry" Hermione whispered to him with fire in her eyes. "I love you Harry."

"I love you, Hermione." With that they withdrew from each other's arms and Harry and Dumbledore watched until Hermione and her parents walked outside to their car, an act that took several minutes as Hermione kept stopping and turning around to wave to Harry. Dumbledore then turned on his heel and marched towards the Dursleys, his smile vanishing like the morning mist as he went. The Dursleys for once were showing some intelligence and staying where they were told, though for some reason Harry, thought it had the most to do with his aunt's hand on Vernon's arm. Vernon's mustache was quivering like a hummingbird by now as he stared at Harry and Dumbledore.

"What do you want old man, I assume that you are the head Freak?" He asked in his typical whining voice, spittle flying from his lips.

Harry, Tonks, Remus, Moody and for some reason Petunia, all visibly flinched at this remark, Talk about monumental stupidity Harry thought with an emotion approaching glee.

Dumbledore for his part just ignored the verbal jab and stared at the Dursleys with a fire in his eyes that Harry had only seen once or twice, and never thankfully directed at him. "Vernon I will say this," Dumbledore began acidly. "You have to be perhaps the stupidest muggle that it has ever been my displeasure to associate with. You and your son are...even I don't have the words. I have not erased your memory in the hopes that you will remember this and treat Harry well this summer, though I do not have high hopes on the matter." Dumbledore turned slightly and stared at Petunia for a moment then returned his gaze to Vernon. "I want you to know several things. Know that that girl is in love with your nephew and she will hunt you down if anything happens to Harry while he is in your care and that I, for one, would not care to be in her way and there is not a place on Earth you could hide. She is one of the most powerful witches it has ever been my pleasure to know or to teach. Know also that I, along with many others, consider Harry family, and if it were not for a bit of magic that protects him from certain parties, then I would very possibly punish you myself. And finally, know this, Harry will be of age in little over a month, and Harry is an extremely powerful wizard at least as powerful as that girl. Think deeply of these things before you try any retribution to a response caused by your son's incredibly stupid act. Harry." Dumbledore added the last with a much friendlier tone and walked away, to where he could disapparate without being seen.

The Dursleys along with Harry walked to their car, in silence. Dumbledore and Hermione probably gained me a week of peace, but we'll see. Vernon, he wasn't kidding about Hermione hunting you down. Oh well 48 days my love, I expect I'll see Hedwig in the morning.


Built by Text2Html