Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Chapter 23: Rejection *************************Great Hall, Hogwarts***************************

May 29, 2005
7:30 am

"Ginny, I am going to ask her out." Ron muttered to his fire-haired sister, as they both sat eating breakfast. "You're her friend, how would you go about it?" Ron whispered urgently so as not to attract the attention of his brothers who were grabbing a bite to eat before returning to study for their NEWTs, that continued this next week.

"Who?" Ginny replied, distractedly, she had been looking over a DADA text in preparation for her DADA OWL tomorrow.

Ron rolled his eyes and pulled her book down, "Hermione, you daft girl." Ron sat back and looked at Ginny expectantly.

Oh, bullocks, he's going to ask her out when she's already stressed studying? She's going to freak. She was already worried about Ron being jealous, that's probably why she didn't kiss Harry when he caught her falling from the stands. I saw it in her eyes; I am a girl after all. Ginny carefully put on an expression of mild indifference. "Ron, when were you going to do this?"

"Today, at the library, she'll be there studying." Ron nodded firmly and scooped some more bacon onto his plate.

Did you consider, dear brother what she is like when she's studying, you guys may not have NEWTs or OWLs like me or the twins, but she's not always...nice, when she's studying. "Uhhh, Ron, you know she'll be there studying right? You guys have a potions exam tomorrow." Ginny replied, trying to convey meaning with her tone, which she didn't want to put into words.

"Yeah I know she'll be there all day." Ron said, enthusiasm in his voice. Next to Ginny, Luna had overheard just enough of this conversion to last a long time. With a slight huff that should have been noticeable to Ron, it was to Ginny, she grabbed her books and stalked out of the room.

Ginny restrained herself from beating her head on the table in front of her at the lead-like denseness of her brother, and tried one last time to convey something important without actually saying it. "Ron, just curious, are you going to ask, when Harry is there?"

"Don't see why not?" Ron replied shrugging. Ginny just gave him a small shrug in return, and quickly uttering an excuse she got up to follow Luna, to talk to her, and to maybe find a soft bit of wall to bang her head against along the way.

As Ginny was walking out of the hall, Harry was walking in. Harry was briefly concerned at the odd look that she gave him as he walked into the Hall. Curious, he watched her walk out of the room, but as she said nothing, Harry just gave his head a little shake and went on to the table. Picking an empty spot near Ron he plopped down and waved at the twins, who just nodded and went back to discussing their NEWTs tomorrow. Harry quietly chuckled a bit at the duo's sudden interest in studying, but as this was their second chance at a seventh year, it was understandable, and anyway it might help business. "Ron." Harry muttered as he started to grab food, then noticing that his other best friend wasn't there, "Have you seen Mione today?"

"No mate" Ron grinned a bit at that statement, which Harry didn't bother to puzzle out.

Bloody hell, she's in super Hermione mode. Harry thought, resignedly. I better take her something, cause Merlin knows she'll forget to eat. Harry hurriedly crammed down a quick meal, then quickly prepared a couple of bacon and egg sandwiches for the missing witch and headed off to the Library. Ron just glanced up at him as he left, and started talking to Neville about next year's Quiddich team, and if Neville was planning on staying on next year to replace the twins.

***********************Hogwart's Library****************************

Harry hurried up to the Library wing, only to run into Lupin on the way. "Hey Remus" Harry said as he came up to the Marauder. Lupin was sitting on a bench by the front doors, reading a text on Counter-curses. Harry rolled his eyes, at the pointed reminder of Dumbledore's saying that learning never stopped, even when you were out of school.

Lupin turned to Harry and grinned, "Harry." He announced, marking his place in the book. "What's up?" He looked a little longingly at the sandwiches, but Harry didn't feel guilty, he could get his own.

Harry gave him a crooked grin, "No, Moony, these are for Hermione," Which as soon as those words reached his ears he winced a bit. And at a look from Lupin, sighed and sat down.

"So, Harry how is that going?" Remus said, his tone more than adequately expressing his interest in the topic. He raised his eyebrows at Harry, and hung on his response.

Unfortunately there wasn't much of one. "About the same as Christmas, Remus." Harry grunted and refused to meet his eyes. He absently fingered the sandwiches for Hermione, as he stood restlessly next to the werewolf.

Remus, uttered a huge, almost howling sigh, "Harry, tell the girl, in the end that is what matters, tell her or I swear I will." Harry just shook his head, as if trying to negate the words. He left quietly, not uttering another word to Lupin, he didn't dare.

Approaching the Library, Harry slipped the sandwiches into his bag to hide them from Madame Pince. Harry casually walked past the witch behind the checkout counter, and like an arrow, he headed directly for the secluded table where he knew Hermione was, he could almost sense her. As Harry wound his way all the way into the back, this sure would be a good place to make out, so many nooks and crannies...if only. Harry found his way around the last stack, and finally caught sight of his quarry, only to have his heart skip a beat at the sight. As Harry had surmised earlier, she was in super study mode, she was nervously biting her lower lip and playing with her hair, idly twisting it around a finger as she looked over potions notes. Damn it, Remus is right, damn it, it's not worth it...but if Riddle finds out he'll go after her...and anyway she probably wouldn't want me in that way, she...Harry walked softly up and sat down next to her, careful from long experience not to disturb her when she was like this, he patiently waited until she noticed him.

Of course she had noticed him the instant he came in, the almost sensing thing went both ways. Oh, Harry, we do know each other pretty well by now, Hermione thought, eating the smirk that threatened to erupt, "Harry," Hermione murmured, quiet enough that he probably more knew that she was talking to him, than actually heard it.

"Hermione," Harry's eyes flicked towards the entry to Hermione's little hidden corner, and seeing no one. "Here," Harry muttered as he pulled the pair of sandwiches from his bag. "Eat, Hermione, I'm the one who needs to study Potions, not you. You are the one who created the potion for Remus. "

That's sweet, Hermione thought quietly as she wordlessly took the sandwiches. "Harry I can take care of myself you know." She tried to grouse, but it failed miserably.

"You wouldn't have." Harry retorted in a whisper, "Now eat, Mione." He sat there and stared at her until she bit into one of the purloined sandwiches.

"I'll eat if you study." Hermione uttered, stubbornly. Harry didn't respond, he just pulled his potions notes from his bag and nestled in to read. Though she noted with amusement and a touch of satisfaction that he glanced over, now and then, as if to check that she really took the time to eat. As she finished with the second one, "Satisfied, Harry?" Harry looked over at her and nodded, Hermione just chuckled in return and they both settled in to read.

After a couple of hours had passed, almost silently, broken only by the sight out the window of Ron and Neville flying by on their brooms, Harry gave a great sigh, dropped his notes to the table, and rubbed his scar idly. Hermione's eyes flicked to his, worriedly.

"Riddle?" She worried aloud, and started to move closer to him.

"No," Harry grimaced, "the other dark one, Snape." He weakly joked, but he was gratified to see her lips twitch upward for just a moment. "Hermione, can we move onto Transfiguration? Please. I promise I'll review Potions again before tomorrow."

"Certainly," Hermione nodded, truth be told, she was getting a bit tired of Potions anyway. Quietly, Hermione pulled her Transfiguration notes from her bag and started quizzing Harry on spells that she thought should be on the exam. Which as usual, her idea of a proper exam was much worse than even McGonagall would dare inflict. After Harry had successfully demonstrated that he knew almost fifty spells in a row, including the spell to change the color of one's clothes, he noted, hiding a laugh, even though he could read it in her eyes, she nodded and sat back.

"Ok that's that then" Hermione related, satisfied at last. She reached into her bag and pulled out her Muggle Studies book, to which Harry shook his head, vehemently.

"No, Hermione, I am not going to study Muggle Studies, and neither are you." Harry verbally put his foot down. "Neither of us needs to study for that class, anyway."

"It is a waste, isn't it, and I guess we probably won't need it on our resumes for Auror applications, I think at least your qualifications are self-evident by now." Hermione pondered for a moment, then gave Harry a slight glare, "Fine then, we ace the test without studying, then we pick up History of Magic next year and drop Muggle Studies."

"We, paleface?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow, imitating a muggle western he had watched on the Dursley's television one night when they were gone.

"Of course," Hermione gave a blinding grin, and then settled back with a sigh, almost visibly moaning as pulled out her Runes and Arithmency texts and notes. "God, I don't want to study these..." She growled to herself as she opened the Arthimency book.

"Hermione Granger, not wanting to study?" Harry teased, then as he received a pained look, "What's wrong?" Harry replied concernedly.

"I shouldn't have to take the exam, that's what." Hermione moaned, "I have enough points to get a zero and still have an O in the class." With a slight huff, she pulled out a thick binder of parchments and started reading her notes for the class.

"Then why are you studying, Hermione?" Harry replied, puzzled, even for Hermione that would be excessive.

"Because Vector, claimed that I'm coasting in the class, and said that I have to get an O on the exam to keep my O." With a slight effort, Hermione forced herself to look at the Arthimency notes, occasionally flicking her wand in the air, as if to work on an equation.

After watching her bemusedly for several minutes, Harry glanced down at his watch, and noted that was after eleven. Damn, no wonder I'm hungry. Harry thought, rolling his eyes. Hermione just kept murmuring and flicking her wand. "Hermione, I'll be back, I'm going to go get my DADA notes, and I need to talk to Dumbledore about DA, and I'll be back, ok? You'll be here?" Hermione just kept going, though he knew she heard him. Harry got up and left his books and bag, covertly patting his hip to confirm that his wand was still present, Constant vigilance, Mad-Eye.

************************Headmaster's Office*****************************

Harry left the library quietly, careful not to disturb the fifth and seventh years in the midst of their OWLs and NEWTs and anyone else who just had a regular exam next week, which was pretty well everyone. I should have saved the world again, damnit Harry thought sarcastically, and then we could have gotten Dumbledore to cancel exams again.

Harry ambled down the hall past several students using the benches in the entryway to study and up to the guardian of Dumbledore's office. With a muttered, "Skiving Snackboxes" Harry rode the spiraling stairs to the waiting area outside of Dumbledore's office, and after knocking, entered.

The office was bright and airy today, Dumbledore had opened the windows to let in the breeze of the late spring day, and the sun was shining. So much so that Harry briefly wished he was irresponsible again, and would go skive off studying to fly or hang out on the grounds like he had seen Ron doing this morning instead of studying, or as he was now, talking to Dumbledore. "You wanted to see me Professor?" Harry asked to the air in a normal tone, Dumbledore wasn't present in the room that he could see, but he had heard him tell him to enter.

On the wall, Phineas looked down on Harry, "So boy are you going to be residing in the house of Black this summer, or should we call it the house of Potter?" The sarcastic tone sorely temped Harry to blast his portrait off the wall, but he restrained himself. Fawkes chirped irritably at the announcement, he was already in a bad mood, as from appearances he was probably a day or so away from a burning day. Or not, as Harry watched, ever amazed, the Phoenix erupted into flames that almost instantly died, leaving only a large pile of ashes. Harry walked over to Fawkes' roost, and gently brushed away the ashes until the baby chick could be seen. Harry petted him gently as Dumbledore came out of his private quarters with a nod.

"Very good, I was wondering when he would finally give in, I think I should just invite you over next time, he seems to have a predilection for burning in front of you" Dumbledore said with a wry smile, crossing to his desk. Sitting down, he motioned Harry to a guest chair, and held out a bag of candy, "Lemon Drop?"

Popping one in his mouth, Harry felt the usual, mild sense of euphoria and peace come over him, "What do you put in these things anyway?" Harry asked, curious.

Dumbledore chuckled as he ate one himself, and vanished the bag into his robes, "I can not tell you, Severus has been after my secret for years." Then with a breath, Dumbledore's continuance turned a tad more serious, not joking, but not worried either, just serious, "Harry, I would like for you to hold DA sessions every night, week after next, I want the skills fresh in everyone's mind before they leave for holiday."

"I was going to suggest the same sir. I will get with Hermione after finals to plan out that week." Harry replied nodding, he had already thought of that, even though he, and Hermione and several of his other friends were training every day anyway, it wasn't a bad idea. And that week there would be no homework due to distract anyone, all the Professors would just be giving back exams or assigning summer work.

"How is Miss Granger?" Dumbledore inquired, "I would have thought that she would have accompanied you."

Harry frowned, "She is studying Arthimency right now, Professor Vector is making her sit the exam even though she already has an O locked up in the class." Harry's tone was a touch resentful, but as he had included the honorific, Dumbledore didn't say anything.

"Aw, yes, I remember, please tell her I am sorry about that, but I try not to interfere in other Professor's classes...speaking of which, are you studying Defense Against the Dark Arts?" Dumbledore replied, with a self-satisfied grin.

You mean the other class that Mione has an O in and shouldn't have to take the exam in...or me either...the annoyed thought crossed his mind, but only for a moment, as he saw the direct impact that that class, anyway, had on all of their well-beings. "I actually left the library to go get the rest of my notes, and to get some food, along with talking to you of course."

"Of course, well then I suspect that you should be on your way...I will not tell you what is on the final, but be aware that it may take longer than the two hours scheduled to complete." Dumbledore grinned broadly at his own statement, and Harry just shook his head and left.

**************************Library*************************************

11:45 am

In the library, Hermione was growing more annoyed by the minute. Ever since Harry left, she had not had the slight distraction that he always was, however unconsciously, or however one sided the distraction. She bent her attention fully to Arthimency, determined to show up Professor Vector for having made her take the final. The source of her irritation wasn't that she had to learn the material; if it was that she would have probably been joyous, or at least ambivalent. The issue came about, as this exam would be basically a review of material that she had already learned in fifth year, instead of in sixth year as everyone else had, she hated repetition. In frustration, she slammed down her quill and sat back. And to top it off, the breakfast that Harry had forced her to eat had worn off; I hope Harry makes it back soon. For once I'll be glad of his ' save Mione' instinct if he brings me food. Hermione thought with just a trace of guilt coloring her thoughts.

It was in that moment, that tired, annoyed, low-blood sugar moment that Ron picked to amble into her sanctuary and plop down across from her. To her increased annoyance, he didn't seem to have brought his books with him, except for a single charms text that somewhere inside, she suspected was a prop. Hermione flicked her gaze back to the Arithmency notes, and only acknowledged his presence with a nod. In fact she was so focused that she missed the murmured question the first time. Just as she flipped to notes on a simple transform equation, equations that she could do in her head, and had proven to Harry one night in January, when she had been working on her NEWT thesis, she heard a second question, from Ron. "Herms, I uhhh, I was wondering if we could go out sometime."

"Don't call me Herms Ron, and besides, I'm sure we will." Hermione replied, trying to keep her patience with him, not wanting to tell her friend to go sod off, if he was Harry, he'd know to shut up or to leave. Hermione thought idly as she flipped another page over, for the love of Merlin, Vector, I've known some of this material since I was thirteen. With a growl Hermione slapped her notes to her table and glared out the window, for a moment temped to transform and fly away, and skive off studying.

"Harry calls you Mione." Ron replied to her comment.

That's different Ron, its...Hermione angrily cut off that thought, not angry at Harry, or Ron in particular but herself more than anything.

At that very instant, when she was angry with herself and Vector, hungry, and tired, Ron dropped the hammer, "No Hermione I meant that we should go out together without Harry sometime, like on a date..."

Hermione's head shot up and she looked at him amazed for almost a minute, and for once her lips out ran her brain, "BLOODY HELL RON, IF YOU HAD ASKED THAT TWO YEARS AGO YOU MIGHT HAVE HAD A CHANCE, INSTEAD OF GOING ALL STUPID OVER VIKTOR." Hermione snapped, and as soon as she said the words she wished to take them back, instantly a thousand ways of letting him down easy flashed though her mind but it was too late. Ron just looked at her, gave her a brief, terse nod, and started to walk away. "Wait Ron, I'm sorry, I..." Hermione called after him.

"That's fine don't worry about it." Ron said softly and walked out of the library.

As he left the library, he about ran over Harry, who was returning with his DADA notes and hidden, purloined food. "Hey..." Harry muttered as he jumped out of the way.

"Oh sorry mate," Ron muttered, "I'll see you later." Ron slid off without another word, leaving Harry confused; he had one friend in the Library who was probably wondering where he was and the other one, mad at something.

He and Hermione probably had a row about something or other. Harry thought to himself with insight gained over the years, though he had no clue about the topic. Walking through the door, he snuck past Madame Pince and headed for the rear of the huge Library. Walking into Hermione's little corner, he noticed tears in her eyes. Instantly concerned, "What's wrong Hermione, did you have a row with Ron?"

Hermione glanced up, saw him and nodded, "How did you know?"

Harry shrugged a bit, "experience, and the fact that he about ran me over on the way out of the Library." He replied, as a sudden desperate urge came over him to wipe away her tears, which he restrained only for a second. Crouching down next to her, Harry wiped a couple of tears from her cheeks, and mentally beat down the ideas that his hindbrain was screaming. "Ok now, would you like me to go talk to Ron?"

Hermione shook her head, "No that's ok, Harry, it was not a big deal." She lied, avoiding his eyes, as she rubbed them to simulate tiredness. Then in a small voice, "you didn't happen to bring any food did you?"

Harry chuckled, and pulled a pair of wrapped sandwiches from the pocket of his robe. "Here Hermione," Harry smirked as she took them from him, and tore into one, hungrily.

Why couldn't you have just asked me, Harry, even as pissed as I was I'd probably jumped you right then instead of tearing into Ron, Hermione thought tiredly then as the food reached her stomach, her tired thoughts vanished. "Thanks Harry."

"Anytime."

A/N: Sorry Ron, but I make up for it in the end. I guess that question is settled. :) In the next chapter, all is revealed, and I don't just mean relationships. Oh and the summary for the story, about stuff being blown up and people dieing, I managed to squeeze that in too.

Built by Text2Html