Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Chapter 14 The Prophesy Revealed.
**************Room of Requirements**********************

November 13, 2004
12:35am

"Coming Harry?" Ron yelled back at Harry who was still standing near the door of the Room of Requirements. They had all finally gotten through the debriefing Moody had given over their new mistakes, which they had committed in their reenactment. And then Moody had topped that off by having a second scenario, in which Harry and the rest of the sextet teamed with Tonks, Lupin and Moody and had acted as the Death Eaters against a different group composed of the Patil twins, Lavender, Seamus, Dean and Colin Creevy. The best Harry could say for that one, was that it was relatively short, and that his side, "the bad guys" won easily. Especially so, when the three boys had blundered into a crossfire and had been taken out easily, causing the girls to have to try to get the boys out, and since they needed their wands to fight and not to mobilize fallen friends, they had been easy pickings for Hermione, Tonks, Ginny and Luna, who more or less just walked in and stunned the girls without hardly a fight, not the DAs best moment.

Hermione glanced over at Harry's troubled expression, and bit her lip, "Ron, Ginny, go ahead I'll catch up."

"Sure, Herm," Ron said ambivalently, then turned to Ginny and Neville and the three started relating their experiences in today's, or rather yesterday's, now, exercise. The three disappeared, now everyone was gone except Harry, Hermione and Moody and Dumbledore who were still in the Room talking about something.

Hermione stopped next to Harry, and glanced back in the open door, to see Dumbledore and Moody still in conversion. She returned her gaze to Harry, "What's wrong, Harry." As she asked, she glanced up into his eyes, temped for just a second to try to pry the secret out the hard way.

"Nothing" Harry replied succinctly.

"Bullocks," Hermione replied briefly, then with a tiny grin that Harry just had to share, "remember I'm the other friend, not the one with the emotional range of a teaspoon."

"Sorry, Mione, its just that, umm, as I was sitting there watching Moody go over Ron and the rest's performance this evening, and I realized they did so much better than I did when I led y..."

"NO" Hermione snapped, interrupting his words, "no Harry you didn't, unlike tonight you...we didn't have that advantages that Ron, Gin, Neville and Luna had tonight."

"Mione."

"No, Harry, now shut up while I defend you to you," She smiled at him as he mouthed "yes, ma'am" back to her, then she went on with her comparison. "Now I'm not saying that Ron and the rest did poorly tonight, on the contrary I think they were awesome, they didn't get anyone hit at all, you and I don't count, they stopped twice the number they had conscious, and even beat Moody and Tonks at their own game. They went though that place like water through a pipe. Heck, I'll even admit, that Ron was really impressive, his strategies were great, though I do wish he'd put that brainpower towards his schoolwork. Anyway the difference is that they knew what was going down, they didn't start under the wand like we...you had to, when you led us to the Ministry for real, everyone one has had an additional six months of training, and more importantly everyone had already experienced combat for real." Hermione finished and crossed her arms as if physically blocking him questioning himself again.

"Thanks, Mione, thanks for believing in me..." Harry said quietly then in a more normal tone to her carefully neutral expression, "Hermione, I'm going to ask to borrow Dumbledore's pensive, the others that went in with us deserve to know the truth, about what the future will hold. It's time, and I've waited too long as it is, especially towards Ron, he at least deserves to know."

Hermione nodded, though inside, she was still grateful, well grateful wasn't the word exactly, more content, that he had chosen to tell her first, well before the rest of his friends.

"Professor" Harry said quickly, as Dumbledore and Moody finally came out. "May I borrow your pensive...it's time."

Dumbledore merely nodded, as he immediately understood Harry's statement. "It will be delivered to you tomorrow, please bring it back, at your next Legilimency lesson, goodnight then." Dumbledore and Moody walked off, still apparently discussing something important or maybe not so important.

Harry and Hermione turned and headed towards Gryffindor tower and home, with a sudden thought, Harry looked at Hermione, "Just how much emotional range do I have then?"

With a chuckle, "Ohh, I'd say about a soup ladle."

**********************Sixth Year Gryffindor Boys Room**********************

10:30 am

Ginny, and Luna walked into Harry and Ron's room. They had both gotten a note delivered by a certain snow-white owl this morning at breakfast to come up to Harry's room. As they walked in they saw that the aforementioned owl was sitting on Harry's dresser, as opposed to being back up in the Owlery as usual. Harry was sitting cross-legged on his bed with an old gray stone bowl marked with curious runes sitting before him on the bedspread. Next to him on Ron's bed, Hermione and Ron were sitting looking at Harry, and Neville was across from Harry on his own bed. Ginny and Luna glanced around at the assembled teens and with a wave from Neville they crossed over to him and plopped down on his bed, bouncing a little as they settled in. Before they can say anything, Hermione pointed her wand at the door, "Colloportus, Silencio."

They all watched the characteristic white flash of the silencing charm on a room; Harry spoke for the first time, "sorry about being so mysterious before." Harry shrugged but they all noted that he looked serious. "After last night I decided that all of you should know why you ended up risking life or limb last June." Harry stopped and visibly bit back something he wanted to say, then he went on, "you see, the reason Voldemort wanted me there was to get a prophesy about me and him."

"We already know that mate," Ron said.

"Be quiet and let him finish" Hermione whispered harshly to Ron from her seat next to him.

Ron looked as if he wanted to respond, but Harry cut him off with a raised, placating hand, more to stop the ensuing argument than anything else. "Yeah you know that part, but you don't know what the prophesy says Ron." Harry returned.

"But the prophesy was smashed Harry, it was my fault I admit but..." Neville put in before Harry interrupted him.

"Neville, were not going there, Ok? Anyway actually there was one person who did know the prophecy, Dumbledore heard it in its entirety seventeen years ago and he could remember it perfectly. He showed it to me last June after we got back...when most of you were still in the hospital ward." At Harry's hesitation, he glanced around the room, but he saw no blame in any of their eyes and with a nod of thanks he finished. "Anyway here is what I saw that day." Without further ado, Harry placed his wand to his head, and drew out a slivery strand of thought. He placed it in the pensive as everyone except Hermione watched the pensive, she unnoticed to Harry, watched him. After all she already knew the prophecy. "Projectus Mementos" Harry incanted quietly, and an image of a small Harry standing in Dumbledore's office appeared. They could all see clearly that he was battered and bruised from the ministry fight. They watched and heard as Harry raged and destroyed Dumbledore's office. They heard Dumbledore try to take his share of the guilt for Sirius' death and heard all of Dumbledore's reasoning for the last five years, and then they saw a small Dumbledore place a minuscule thought into a tiny pensive and a microscopic Trelwany appeared. Everyone could hear her just fine however:

"The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches... Born to those
who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...And the Dark Lord
will mark him as his equal, But he will have power that the Dark Lord knows not....
And either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other
survives...The one with the power to vanquish that Dark Lord will be born
As the seventh month dies." The tiny Trelwany chanted, and the room, which had been quiet already, was like a tomb. The memory finished with Harry's verification of what the prophecy meant, and Dumbledore explaining just why Harry hadn't been a Prefect that year.

"Bloody Hell" Ron whispered, "It's all or nothing isn't it?" Harry nodded in response, as he silently returned the thought to his head. "Who else knows mate?" Then with a glance over at Neville, "you lucked out Nev." Neville didn't take offence at all; on the contrary, he just looked relieved.

"Dumbledore of course, probably McGonagall, I don't know if anyone else does. You all deserved to know, though." Harry looked as if he wanted to hold more back but he didn't they deserved the full truth. "That's why the DA meetings have suddenly ramped up in intensity. The final battle could come at anytime, and since I can't get you people to leave me alone." Harry under any other circumstances would have laughed at the assorted tongues stuck out and exaggerated hurt expressions, but he couldn't go on.

Ginny, the youngest one there, saved him however, "Its about survival Harry, we all know that. Our job is to make sure you get to the bastard. You're family Harry, we don't leave family to fight alone, ever."

********************Great Hall, Hogwarts*************************

December 10, 2004
7:00 am

Since Harry's revelation of the prophesy to his "inner circle" their training had taken a more serious note, which down deep concerned him a bit. Their classes had gone fine, however even Hermione had commented on the seemingly increased pace of the classes. Harry had even been joined for an early morning run by Ron, though he grumbled the entire time around the lake, about the hour not the exercise, Harry was glad to note. This morning Ron had actually beat Harry and Hermione to the breakfast table, though honestly that was because Hermione had twisted a knee on a rock during her morning run and Harry had lent a shoulder to help her to the infirmary. Ron had asked if Harry needed help, but Harry said he had it, so Ron left them in peace, and said he'd see them at breakfast.

This morning, breakfast looked like a Weasley clan get-together with himself, Ginny, Fred and George leaning close, plotting. Ron had gotten an ultimatum from Snape, quote: Weasley, you better come up with something that will really impress me before Christmas, and you better not get any help from Granger. To which Ron had snapped back, fine I'll just create the Animangus potion, as his mouth overran his brain. Snape had just laughed and said that there was no way he could do it, and anyway the ingredients were rare and Ron couldn't have any of his. But barring all of that, he had said, if Ron could give him a properly brewed potion by Christmas break, he would give Ron an E for the semester and let him stay in the class. "So," Ron whispered over to the twins, "were you able to get me the ingredients?"

"Ya, mate," Fred, replied with a smirk, "Lee was able to order them under the cover of being materials for the shop so, were set there. He'll sneak them in tonight."

"I wish you'd let Hermione help with this," Ginny muttered, she flicked her eyes toward the door as if checking to see if the just mentioned witch had just walked in, she hadn't.

"The plan is to make enough potion for all of us right?" George said with a grin.

"Yeah," Ron sighed, "Snape thinks that I'm just trying to make enough for him to test, but, I upped the ingredients to make eight doses. Ginny I'm not telling Hermione or Harry, because I don't want to get his hopes up, and I got myself into this mess with Snape myself, and I'll get myself out of that."

"Why did you tell us then?" Ginny asked with a raised eyebrow.

"You're family" Ron said simply.

"And Harry and Hermione aren't?" Ginny snapped back with a touch of heat. She started twirling her wand in her fingers as if considering casting her Bat-Bogey hex. But Ron soon calmed her.

"No Gin, I didn't mean it like that, both of them are as much family to me as you four are, and much more than some people who share my blood." Ron paused at the identical frowns that crossed four red-haired visages at the reminder of Percy's treachery. "Anyway Snape thinks I'm making the potion just for class he doesn't think I'm going to take it or anyone else. And since the needed incantations are in the restricted section..." Ron looked over at Fred with a half smile.

"We got it last night, even though we had to dodge said sixth year Gryffindor prefect on her rounds, Harry teaches disillusionment charms well." George put in from the side with a smirk. They had cornered Harry and made him teach them the charm after they had figured out how he had disappeared from in front of them, earlier this year.

"Hey guys," Harry said as he came in trailed by Hermione, who was now walking just fine, "What are you all talking about, so intently?" Harry plopped down next to Ron, while Hermione took a seat opposite them, and glanced at him with a questioning look.

Ron smiled back, Glad I'm not Harry, he never could lie to her, Ron thought as he quickly prepared a reply, "Oh we were discussing Christmas, Mum owled the other day and said to invite you all. So you want to come? Harry? Hermione?"

Hermione flicked an eyebrow upward, but she just replied, "Sure, I'd love to, I'll owl my parents later, Harry can I use Hedwig?"

Harry grinned, he loved the Burrow, in many ways it was almost his home, after all, it did hold most of those he considered his family, as opposed to his actual blood relatives, who he considered his keepers, "Where else would I go Ron, of course I'll be there...Hermione you know that you don't have to ask, Hedwig will do what ever you say."

Ginny quickly dropped her view to her plate, I swear I am going to get a beater's bat and whack those two upside the head, just so they'll wake up. Even the bloody owl knows...Though I guess my brother still doesn't, Ginny thought as her gaze flicked to Ron as he was bent down munching some doughnuts. I'm just glad I got over my crush on Harry; I never even had a chance... Ginny finished her thought as she watched Neville glide in and sit down opposite the group.

Just as Neville reached for his food, the morning post fluttered in on many, many wings, Harry glanced up quickly but as usual he didn't see Hedwig, so he kept eating. Only to snap out a hand, catching Errol before he crashed into the eggs. "Ron are you guys ever going to retire this poor bird?" Harry asked whimsically as he handed the owl to Fred.

"I wish, but Mum likes him, says he has style." Ron shook his head, as Fred unwrapped a package of food from Molly, even after eight children either though this school or still in it, she still didn't believe the house elves fed them enough. The usual Daily Prophet owl gently landed in front of Hermione, but right as she was reaching for some change, a second owl braked to a halt next to it. Quickly paying off the prophet delivery service, she reached for the letter attached to the second owl.

Opening the letter, which Harry immediately noticed was on muggle paper instead of parchment, she began to read. Halfway though she sighed heavily and frowned. Hermione glanced at Harry, almost as if to apologize for something, then she turned to the Weasleys, "sorry, guys, it looks like I'm staying the holidays with my parents, Mum and Dad say that they'd like me to actually spend Christmas with them this year, as I didn't last year." Hermione stuffed the letter into her bag, and gave a tiny shrug.

Ginny granted a little smile and patted her arm, "that's ok Herm, we'll miss you though." A chorus of agreement floated about the group at this obvious pronouncement.

********************Hogwarts Entryway***********************

December 20, 2004

8:30 am

"We'll see you at the Burrow then, Harry?" Ron asked as he and the rest of the Weasleys and Hermione waited for the carriages to take them to Hogsmeade Station for the train ride home for the holidays. They all had their bags pilled together, and Ginny, in particular was bundled up against the bitter Scottish December day.

"Yeah mate I should be there tomorrow, I was going to ride the train with you all but Moody has this strange idea about separating the targets, or maybe he spiked his pumpkin juice, I don't know." Harry rolled his eyes at what he still considered over protectiveness, but he had given up arguing. "Hermione, I guess I'll see you in a few weeks." Harry said with smile that was a touch forced.

"Yeah," Hermione said, and gave him a quick hug. Right as she did so the carriages pulled up. Looking up and bushing a loose lock behind her ear, "we better go."

Harry nodded and helped them load their bags into the carriage. He stood in the doorway until they had ridden out of sight. With a sigh, he turned and went back into the castle, where he was supposed to catch a portkey to the Burrow in the morning after Moody crammed some last minute training down his throat.

*****************Kings Cross Station**********************

The Weasley children watched the Grangers disappear through the barrier to the muggle world. After Hermione and her parents had vanished, George turned to Ron, "so how did it go?"

Ron's face lit up, "I nailed it, Snape damn near died at the words, but he said it was adequate. I got my E for the semester, not as good as the O Hermione or Harry got, but good enough. I have the potion in an unbreakable bottle in my gear. We can try the incantation and the change tonight, if we get the incantation right, we should be able to transform at will, though it'll be difficult at first. You all have been practicing visualizing the change and performing the initial incantations, like the books said? If it works, we can surprise Harry at Christmas, and we can plot on how to surprise Hermione after Christmas." The Weasleys, all natural jokesters, laughed at that thought, but then Ginny had a more serious one.

"You know," she said in a whisper as she glanced around to confirm that Molly was still out of earshot, "That technically we will be breaking the law, as except for Fred and George we are still underage, and I don't suspect any of us are planning on registering with the Ministry, even though Dad is the Minister of Magic."

All of them looked thoughtful at that last point, no one wanted to get Arthur in trouble, but Ron had a stronger imperative, "We don't want to get dad in trouble, Ginny, but I figure we will have to keep our abilities secret as they may come in handy later." Everyone, even Ginny nodded at that, Ginny had actually been thinking along those same lines, and besides, another ability that the enemy didn't know about couldn't hurt in this war.

"So Ronickins, what do you think you will be?" Fred teased, waggling his eyebrows.

Ron looked at the twins with a feral grin, "Don't know, but hopefully I'll be able to eat you."


A/N: Ok now everyone knows, except Voldemort. Fun isn't it?, next chapter the war comes home to one of our heros.

Built by Text2Html