Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Chapter 3, The Lion Reborn
***********************Somewhere in England*************************
August 2, 2004
5am

Dumbledore had came and awoken Harry early that morning. Harry woke with a start, reaching for his wand, only to stop when he realized who was in the room. He had slept though the night, though for some reason he had dreamed that Hermione had came in the room last night and talked softly to Hedwig while watching him for a moment, but that was silly wasn't it? After all he had kept her up all night yesterday. Hedwig did hoot now, indignant at being woke up early, or was it for being woke up again? As dawn cracked though the panes of the windows, Dumbledore and Harry crept out of the room, he could see into Hermione's room, which was across the hall from his, through the slightly propped door. Glancing in, he saw a pillow covered in a familiar fall of honey-brown curls with a huge ginger cat tucked next to her. A feeling of relief flooded his thoughts. She's asleep; so it was a dream, good she should sleep, not check up on poor Harry!

Though the veil of her hair, Hermione watched Harry and Dumbledore walk past the partially open door, she caught Harry glance into her room as he passed, then saw him visibly relax as he thought he saw her sleeping. Stupid boy, he's enough to worry about with out worrying if I'm asleep. He's gone now, I guess I'll kip off for a second, the dreams shouldn't come in the day should they?...good luck, Harry. She finally fell asleep on her bed, which like Ron's was more or less a copy of the one in Harry's room. Crookshanks curled up closer to her and dropped off too.

Dumbledore and Harry snuck down the stairs, thankfully without having to worry about the portrait of Sirius's mother to scream at them. After Sirius had died, Kreacher had removed the family tree tapestry and the portrait and disappeared. No one knew what had happened to him, nor did anyone care, not even Hermione. Even her feelings of injustice towards how house elves had been treated historically, had not extended to Kreacher once she had found out that he had helped lead Sirius to his death. Harry was actually slightly relieved, as he feared that he would have killed the house elf the moment he saw him for his part in Sirius's death.

Harry and Dumbledore reached the kitchen and stepped inside. Even Molly was not up yet, though Harry figured that she soon would awake to start breakfast for the various occupants of the house. Harry slightly bumped the old oak table in the center of the kitchen and repressed a slight curse; he doesn't want to wake anyone. He was hungry but far too nervous to eat right now.

"Here Harry" Dumbledore whispered holding out a shiny rock he had taken from his pocket. "A port key to where we are going, since you aren't to apparate yet." Harry reached out and touched the rock with a finger. He felt the familiar snap-tug and the feeling of being in several places at once and then they were there. But where are they? Harry and Dumbledore had appeared in a large clearing in a wood. Over to one side there appeared to be some sort of obstacle course, on the other a set of target stands. Several round sand pits were spread out throughout the clearing. Harry saw all of this in the pre-dawn light; the sun was just starting to clear the edge of the trees to the east.

In the distance standing at the edge of one of the sand pits, Harry witnessed a figure in a dark cloak. His cloak was billowing in the slight breeze, and he was standing oddly though it seemed familiar somehow. The person was turned away from them so his face is not visible. Dumbledore started towards him and Harry followed, it was so quiet that Harry could hear the soft swish of the grass against their pant legs. The figure turned and with a slight shock Harry now recognized him, it was Alastor Moody, he was dressed differently than Harry had seen him before, under the black cloak that Harry had seen from behind, he was wearing black cargo pants, and a black sweater. Absently Harry noticed that the cloak was fastened with a clasp emblazoned with a Phoenix.

"Alastor?" Harry asked slightly confused.

"Aye lad, I guess you know why you are here?" Moody asked, his eye spinning around and looking into the woods as if he expected the deer to attack any second. As he started to pace back and forth, his real eye stayed pointed forward, however his magical eye stayed pointed at Harry, regardless of the direction he was pointing at the time. "Harry, you know that you are here to start combat training, where you are right now is the main outdoor training site for the Auror field division. Over the hill are more training facilities. Fortunately, since Arthur Weasley now runs the Ministry, we are able to use these facilities and others. Unfortunately, I basically have to try to stuff a complete Auror training regimen, plus any additional skills that Albus here thinks you need into your head as soon as possible. I feel that we may have a decent amount of time before Voldemort is ready to strike again. You six did good lad, but you could have done better, that's not to criticize, just a fact. I am here to fix that. I will teach you what I know, along with Albus here, Remus and Nymphadora. "Follow so far"

"Yes" Harry replied though he wasn't sure about this, he knew that it was necessary. "Well I did want to be an Auror..."

"That's the spirit lad. This morning you are mine." As Alastor said this, Dumbledore disappeared silently, the wind whistling though were he had been just a second ago. "I am an old Auror lad, and I became an old Auror, because I used what I had to stay alive. In the end what is important is that you get home to your family, anything that gets in the way of that deserves what it gets, its cold but it's true."

Harry gulped hard at that statement. It had disturbingly mirrored the fear that he had expressed to Hermione the night before. Alastor saw his expression, nodded and went on determinedly. "I'm sorry Harry but it's the truth. In the end it's them or us and I'd much rather you win than spend the rest of my days running from Death Eaters, and hoping that they didn't find where I had hid my family. If Voldemort wins, than we all fall Harry, we fought twenty years ago and we fight now, to prevent that future."

"Mad-eye, I..."

"Like I said lad, I believe in using what you have to survive so today, we begin with..." He waved his wand and two wooden bokken appeared. "Harry the full blown personal combat training for Aurors usually begins with hand to hand and progresses to various magic and muggle weapons along with combat magic, tracking, concealment and other skills, thankfully you don't have to learn the paperwork until you actually start taking the Ministry's knut." Moody gave a short chuckle at his own joke. "However, since Lupin's time of the month is soon, I'll start you with the sword, as he will be your hand to hand teacher along with various other things." He tossed one of the wooden swords to Harry, who caught it one handed by the hilt. Moody started to turn away, then snapped the training blade at Harry's head. Who caught it on his sword without a thought. "Good reflexes son."

Over the next several hours Moody in turns showed Harry proper strikes and blocks with the sword. Harry practiced them alone, with Moody occasionally engaging with a random strike, that more often than not Harry blocked, not always well but he usually managed to defeat the strike to a degree at least, out of perhaps fifty or so attempts, Moody only succeeded in landing five or so.

At noon, Albus Dumbledore reappeared, and strode over to Mad-Eye where he stood observing Harry. Dumbledore watched Harry practicing a combination and whispered to Moody out of the side of his mouth. "So?" he asked as the crack of the wooden sword on a target rang out.

"Off hand I would say that you are right Albus. He has skills that there is no other way for him to have. It's like he has the reflexes, but has yet to integrate them with his body." Moody replied perplexed.

"I had inklings in his 2nd year, when he was able to wield the sword at all." Dumbledore muttered, "You know his bloodline Alastor." Dumbledore replied mysteriously but Moody just nodded as if he understood all along what Dumbledore was saying. "Get out of here Alastor, I'll take him for the rest of the day."

Moody disappeared with a crack and a faint puff of smoke. Dumbledore walked over to the sand ring where Harry was still practicing strikes with the wooden sword. Alastor is right, he does have the skills, but is it him, the prophecy never said anything about them, but if it were, it would explain much over the years. Harry's hair was for once not standing up, it was plastered to his head with sweat, and the t-shirt he had on was discolored. "Harry, that's good come on over here."

Harry looked up, he had been in a zone, "Where's Mad-Eye?" He asked just having noticed his departure.

"He left, I'll be instructing you for the rest of the afternoon." Dumbledore waved his hand and Harry's wooden sword vanished. "You won't be needing that for the afternoon, Harry, just your wand." In turn Dumbledore pointed his wand at the grass and a picnic table appeared complete with a pitcher of water, a pair of glasses, and a pile of sandwiches. "Lets eat." Dumbledore pronounced and grabbing a turkey sandwich he followed his own advice.

"That was interesting this morning, Professor, I mean with Mad-Eye and all, I've never picked up a sword, except the Gryffindor sword in the Chamber, but it felt natural." Harry shrugged and took a drink of water.

"Yes Harry, it was. Have you actually ever followed Miss Granger's advice and read Hogwarts, a History?" Dumbledore asked a slight twinkle in his eye, for the first time in a long time.

"I...no not really, I mean Hermione has it memorized and she's always there...." Harry replied thrown by the abrupt change in topic.

I sure she is Harry, "Then let me tell you a story, about Hogwarts, and the 4 that founded it." Dumbledore asked taking another bite of his sandwich. And without waiting for a reply he began his tale. "1000 years ago, this was right after Merlin disappeared mind you, the four greatest remaining wizards in the world decided to found a school to teach young wizards about their powers and for at least some of the four the responsibilities that went with them."

"Professor, I've heard..."Harry put in a little sheepishly.

Dumbledore just looked back at him and continued with a little smile, "Yes Harry I'm sure you have been awake for at least part of the welcoming speeches. Anyway these four, Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff and Salazar Slytherin founded the houses, and you know the rhyme as well as I do, however what is not related in the stories are their reasons for founding the school and their relations to one another. Godric and Salazar were both great warriors and wizards; both were very intelligent, with skills beyond those of any wizard except the other two founders. Rowena was as exemplified in her house, uncannily intelligent and also highly skilled. She too became a warrior in the end but reluctantly. She was loyal beyond any measure to Godric, and in the end they were married. Helga was peaceful beyond measure and never did follow the warriors road of the other three, however it was her who helped Rowena recover after their fateful final battle before the four founded Hogwarts. It was that battle that convinced them to found the school, they had finally ended the reign of a cabal of dark wizards that had taken it on themselves to find magical children and twist them to their needs. The four bonded in the battle and the chaos that followed and the next year, the great castle of Hogwarts appeared overnight and Owls flew with the dawn to deliver the first letters to Families.

One of the marks of the four was that all of them could use wandless magic with relative ease. A further mark was bestowed on at least three of the founders and may have been what finally lead to the spilt at least in part. As you know all too well Harry, it was Salazar that created the Chamber."

Harry just nodded shakily, as the reminder of the year threw images of Ginny laying in front of a young Riddle and a petrified Hermione across his mind. A chill wind blew across the grounds or maybe it was his imagination.

Dumbledore continued his story, "The great fight that spilt the houses came about because of the chamber. Salazar confronted Rowena and Godric in the Great Hall; they wanted to destroy the chamber as they thought it evil, it is said that during the argument he became so angry and so infused with the magic that he commanded that his eyes began to glow a bright red. At the start of this argument, the students were assembled in the great hall, but when the argument broke out Helga took all of the students from the hall in the greatest recorded mass apparition ever, so other accounts are absent, the only known record was a partial diary entry from Rowena recovered after her death. It was after the spilt that the current wards were put into place of course.

"Professor, an argument caused the splitting of the houses, wouldn't that seem extreme?" Harry interjected.

"I don't know Harry, would beating Draco until he couldn't stand, seem extreme for insulting your mother because he was trying to get under your skin after a Quiddich match?" Dumbledore asked with a raised eyebrow, after a moment he went on, his point made. Harry for his part was quiet, he knew now how stupid he had been to get his "lifetime" ban from Umbridge, but it had seemed like a good idea at the time. "Of course I call it an argument because that's how Rowena referred to it in her diary, this argument resulted in the partial collapse of the Great Hall and the toppling of Ravenclaw tower. The great argument as it's referred to in the History resulted in the Chamber being hidden, and the near deaths of Rowena and Godric. Salazar is said to have just left in most accounts, but some count him as destroyed following that discussion."

"Professor, I don't mean to be dense, but what does this have to do with me?" Harry asked even more confused.

"Just think about what I have said, it will have bearing on you in the future, remember that even the best initial intentions and goals can be twisted to ends that their owners would never imagine." Dumbledore stood and walked to the targets, Harry following, "Now Harry, lets try to hit those targets with stunners, but," with a raised finger, "Without saying the incantation, the spell is more powerful with the verbalization, however as I'm sure you remember from your trip to the Ministry, spells can be still dangerous if only the thought is used. It's best to use the incantation if possible, however there are times silence is necessary, or unavoidable."

Ok, I'll try I guess Harry thought doubtfully, he pointed his wand at steel gong target down range, STUPEFY, STUPEFY, but nothing really happened except some bright sparks from the end of his wand. Harry looked at the end of his wand and shrugged, he didn't think he could cast the spell without at least muttering it. Dumbledore however just smiled and waved casually at the target. Harry sighed and a bird perched on top of the gong, obviously feeling perfectly safe. Seeing Dumbledore looking at him, but not expecting anything, Harry casually pointed his wand at the gong, oh well, stupefy. This time was different however, a red bolt shot out of the end of his wand, slamming the gong hard. It rang loudly and sent the poor bird into a panicked flight. What, how'd I...

"Very good, Harry, I too have found that the non verbal incantations often work best when you relax and let the magic flow, now practice this for a while." Dumbledore said with a smile, meanwhile the scared bird shakily perched on a tree several dozen yards away.

Harry practiced the stunner for an hour, until Dumbledore was satisfied; the only sound the slight snap of the red stunner bolt and the repeated ringing of the gong. After that they progressed to shield charms and later still to some minor transfiguration, all without saying a word.

************************12 Grimmauld Place******************************

3pm

Hermione was sitting in one of the parlor's collection of overstuffed chairs. The enchanted fire still glowed green from where Lupin had escorted Ron and Ginny to the burrow to get some things from home. Hermione for her part had gotten up at noon, since she hadn't gotten to sleep until six or thereabouts. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail, at which Crookshanks would bat occasionally, from his back of the chair perch.

I'm glad Ginny covered for me with Molly, telling her that I didn't feel well this morning. At least I was right and my nightmares didn't come in the daytime. I hope Harry is being ok. Ron was looking at me weirdly when I got up this afternoon; I guess he didn't buy my excuse. I didn't tell him why I slept in; I have this odd feeling that he would take it badly.

At least Harry slept though the night, I thought just for a second, that he woke up and saw me talking to Hedwig, but it was my imagination I guess. I hope he can sleep once he gets back to school, I know Ron will and Neville will be ok, but I'm afraid that Dean and Seamus may have problems with Harry waking up screaming, but I know that it wouldn't be the first time, so he should probably be ok.

Now, Pavarti and Lavender may have issues with my nightmares, though. She finished the thought grimily.

Hermione opened the huge book on her lap, she had read Hogwarts, A History innumerable times, but she always seemed to find something new in it. Maybe the book is enchanted. This time was no exception. Opening the book to the table of contents, she saw a chapter titled: The Background and the Foundation of the School and Its Spilt into Four Houses. That's weird I don't remember that chapter. She turned to the chapter and began to read: The founders of Hogwarts were a varied cast, Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin were great wizard warriors with knowledge and skills beyond any others at that time, besides the two other founders. They are recorded as having fought several dark wizards in the years predating the founding of the school. Rowena Ravenclaw was also a warrior among many other occupations, however in her case it was destiny and not choice that led her down that road. Her preferred occupation was that of scholar but fate had other designs. She was almost pernaturally intelligent and was skilled at almost every facet of magic. Helga Hufflepuff on the other hand, was extremely pacifistic, and even when confronted would not give resistance. She was a healer, and discovered several cures to curses that are still in use.

Interesting, but I've read this before.

The foundation of Hogwarts was undertaken as a response to events that overtook the four friends in the year 1002 A.D. That year, a cabal of dark wizards set upon Rowena in a mountain village near her home. The reasons for the attack upon her have been lost in the ages, however the results are known. Rowena was captured early in the attack and it was only through the actions of her familiar that she was saved. The familiar, a kneazle, ran for a complete day until it had found Salazar and Godric in a tavern in a neighboring village. Godric, who knew Rowena quite well, knew the kneazle would not have left her of it's own free will. Grabbing the cat, both of them apparated to Rowena's village and there found a scene of horror. They found Rowena tied to a stake, obviously having been tortured with what was perhaps the first recorded usage of the Cruciatus curse, they also found why Rowena, who was their equal, had been taken so easily. The dark wizards had gathered a group of magical children, trained them and used them against Rowena. She had been unwilling to fight children and so had fallen. Together, Godric and Salazar were able to stun the children, and summoning Helga to help Rowena, the two friends went to find the lair of the Dark Wizards, and vanquished them.

In the aftermath of the battle, after Rowena had been fully healed by Godric and Helga, the four resolved to found a school were magical children would be taught to prevent this occurrence from happening again.

And a Great Castle appeared and the owls went out the next day, blah, blah, Hermione thought sarcastically and went to the end of the chapter

This is new though

The school coexisted with itself for almost 20 years, each of the four founders established a house that exemplified his or her ideal quality and accepted students into that house based on those qualities: Courage, Intelligence, Cunning, and Acceptance of all. From the beginning, Salazar had only taken purebloods into his house, and for the most part this is still the case for Slytherin House. The other three houses accepted any parentage, and still do so to this day, providing they fit the criterion of the house. The infamous split began during a meal, when Godric confronted Salazar about the Chamber of Secrets he had created under the school, Godric stated that the chamber was evil in its purpose, that to someday "purify" the school of Muggle-Bornes and Half-bloods. It is thought by some, that the original means of "Purification" was not the death that the chamber came to represent when He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named opened the chamber, in the 1950's, but a means of magically removing and barring the non-purebloods from Hogwarts. Upon the accusation, Salazar stood and was reportedly channeling so much magic that his eyes glowed red. From that point only supposition about the spilt is known, due to the fact that Helga removed all of the students in a mass apparition. None of the participants ever related their experiences in the argument, only the results are known, at the end of the argument, the great hall was partially collapsed, and the Ravenclaw dorm tower had collapsed. In 1974, the wizard archeologist, Henry Jones, found what was believed to be a diary of Rowena buried near Hogsmeade, in which partial accounts of the "argument" were discussed. In it, it was stated that after the students had left, Godric began unconsciously using magic to a degree as great as Salazar, to a point at which his eyes glowed also, but a blue as a counterpoint to the red of Salazar. Rowena also stated in the diary fragment, that she was told after the "argument", by Godric that her eyes had matched his after Ravenclaw tower fell. As only one source, and that a fragment of unknown veracity, this example of magical alteration of the eyes is unconfirmed, but is entirely possible as other well documented cases of this phenomenon are known. It should be stated however, in both of those known cases, the participant's eyes were seen to glow white, not the pure colors described herein. See Dumbledore, Albus (Grindelwald duel) and Merlin (various examples).

Regardless of the particulars of the battle or of the magical alterations of the participants, the results are known. After that disagreement, Salazar Slytherin either left the school or was dead; accounts vary as to this result.

That was cool, I never knew Dumbledore's eyes could glow like that, I'd read the Merlin accounts of course. Hermione thought briefly then as she heard a soft POP she looked up and saw Harry and Dumbledore standing in the parlor. She jumped up, greatly upsetting Crookshanks who plopped to the floor glaring at both her and Harry in turn. She looked Harry over quickly, with a hidden touch of worry, and he looks tired, not sad or hurt or anything just tired, as if he has just played several Quiddich matches in a row. "Harry, how are you, how did it go?" She queried a little too excitedly.

Harry winced a little at Hermione's exuberance, but smiled wearily at her none-the-less, I wish she would stop worrying about me so much, crossed his mind randomly. "I'm fine Mione, I'm going to go take a shower and come back down ok?" Harry asked, trying to put off questions for now. But since it was Hermione, he knew that in the end he would tell her everything about today, but first he really needed a shower.

"Oh, Ok Harry" Hermione replied as Harry gave a small wave and headed towards the stairs and his room. She turned to Dumbledore, and with a sudden glare worthy of McGonagall she asked, "A little tough on him for the first day?"

Dumbledore at 6'5 and being one of the most powerful wizards in the world, still winced a little too, at facing a 5'9'' 15 year old girl, though unlike Harry, he had been married and had had 153 years to practice a straight face. He replied therefore in a reasonable tone. "Hermione, I am sorry that I tired him out, but I'm afraid that the training will get more difficult before it gets easier." She was more respectful of authority when she was younger; I guess Harry has corrupted her. He thought wistfully, remembering an eleven-year-old girl who wouldn't dare challenge authority.

"I'm sorry, Professor", Hermione sighed, "it's just that he's been through so much recently." As she flashed back to the first night that Harry had been back in his true home.

"Yes and as you reminded me, rather forcefully as I recall last month, much of that is my fault, and I am sorry for that, Hermione, but alas my guilt does not change what must be done. You and Harry and the rest have delayed Riddle, but he or his followers will not rest forever." Dumbledore said evenly, though inside he was already cringing at what he knew would be coming in the months and years ahead.

Hermione blushed a bit at the reminder of her tantrum of July, but she pressed on, "Then when are you going to start me...and the others in more advanced training." She replied, with a peevish tone to her voice. She had asked to start when she found out about Harry's advanced training. Dumbledore had prevaricated trying to not to answer, though he knew that he would soon have to start with the rest also. He had briefly tried to keep the training a secret from Hermione and Harry's other friends, but had realized rather quickly that a) Harry would probably tell her right away, unless Dumbledore forced Harry to promise not to, and b) that as they had learned last year, it was hard to keep anything secret from a group of very bright young adults, who were collectively as stubborn as a herd of mules.

"Honestly, Hermione I don't know, I'm sure that as soon as I turn my back, Harry will start teaching you and your friends any magic that I have taught him, but there are other things that he has yet to learn. Also some of the more...physical training, I'm afraid that none of you except Harry is ready for yet, or at least that we are ready to teach yet, I'm afraid. However as to the magical arts, what Harry does not show you..." Hermione interrupted Dumbledore impatiently.

"You will show us, don't worry Professor, I believe that Harry has only told me that you are taking over the DADA position. What about the DA?" She asked hopefully.

"I believe that it should continue Hermione, after all you can only get so much from class and homework, even mine, I feel that such outstanding individuals such as your self and Harry in this topic after all your OWL scores were out...wait forgive an old man I'm babbling" Dumbledore broke off with a grin.

"PROFESSOR," Hermione yelped, "That's no fair, what did we get, you aren't going to make us wait now. And by the way, I've known you for almost six years, you don't' babble." She finished with a pout.

Dumbledore grinned and glancing up the stairs he leaned close and whispered back, "Fine, I don't want to ruin the surprise for Harry, but all of the members of the DA achieved Os on their OWLs in DADA, and in fact two students tied the old record, with perfects on both the written and practical and gaining the optional bonus points to get O+s" he paused still smiling.

Hermione's eyes grew wide, "Who Professor," she asked in an urgent whisper, "Was it Harry and?"

"You Hermione," Dumbledore finished for her and answered her question at the same time. He continued to her shocked face, not for Harry, he knew but that she had achieved the score as well. "Yes, both of you, Harry received a perfect on the written, with a perfect with optional bonus points on the practical, while you received a perfect on the practical with a perfect and bonus points on the written. In fact yours was so good it was almost in dispute, one of the examiners grading it later came up to me and asked if you had written the book. They couldn't believe that you remembered everything that could have been brought up; even Harry's wasn't as complete.

Hermione blushed again at the complement and muttered, "Harry does tend to forget things when he's rushed."

"Indeed, a trait that I hope you will help correct in DADA this year" Dumbledore said with a grin, as Hermione nodded vigorously, I almost feel sorry for Harry. "Remember don't tell him yet. I have something to do tonight, please inform Molly that I won't be at supper, but I might make it in late this evening I don't know as of yet." And with a final nod he disappeared.

Harry comes down the stairs a moment later, and seeing Dumbledore gone he asks, "Where's Dumbledore?"

"Oh he said that he had to go do something."

"What were you two taking about?" Harry asked. He felt slightly nervous but he did not know why.

"Oh stuff," Hermione, replied, "What did you learn today?"

Harry smiled, his nervousness forgotten as he started showing Hermione the silent incantation techniques that he had learned from Dumbledore. However to Crookshanks great relief, they tried the Wingarum Leviosa spell instead of the stunner that Harry had first practiced today. As Crookshanks floated by, mewing softly, victim of a silent levitation spell, Harry's thoughts flashed back to a mousy-haired know it all that had been the first to master that spell in Flitwick's class six years ago. God, she's grown up. As another of the random thoughts that had plagued him since his and his friends' return to Grimmauld place crossed his mind.


Built by Text2Html