Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness before the Dawn

madscientist

Chapter 4, Ow, OWLS.
**************12 Grimmauld Place, Hermione's Room***************

August 5, 2004

The sun streamed into Harry's eyes, waking him from a deep dreamless sleep; once again he had slept though most of the night. Though the reason was more likely shear exhaustion rather than him getting over the nightmares, it was just that with his current schedule he didn't have time for them. However, he had made a grim discovery last night before one am, as he found out to his horror that he was not the only one who had trouble sleeping. As he had lain in bed, finishing some material that Dumbledore had given him to study, he heard a soft moan from across the hall. He had slipped into Hermione's room only to find her tossing in her dreams, muttering something about the purple flame that Dolohov had used on her at the Ministry. Harry stroked her hair and calmed her down until she quieted.

Unknown to either, Lupin had wandered by once again, and on seeing the two through the open door, just smiled, shook his head and stalked silently away.

Harry had fallen to sleep holding her, he had a day off as he was not going to train today, so he tucked a stray lock of hair out of her eyes and slipped quietly back to his room across the hall.

As Harry came into the room, he saw a brown barn owl sitting on the windowsill, waiting patiently for him to open the window. Harry quickly crossed to the window, opened it and the owl hopped in and dropped three letters in his hands, wheeled around and left in a flutter of feathers. Harry picked up the letters, on top was one addressed to him:
Harry James Potter

Opening it he saw:

Enclosed are your OWL results, please owl Albus Dumbledore or myself with any questions that you may have.

Minerva McGonagall

Assistant Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Head of Gryffindor House

Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Written O
Practical O+
Average O+

An O+ is that even possible, I...damn that's cool.

Transfiguration
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Charms
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Potions
Written O
Practical O
Average O

OH MY God, I got an O in potions?

Care of Magical Creatures
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Herbology
Written O
Practical E
Average O

Divination
Written E
Practical A
Average E

History of Magic
Written A
Practical-none
Average -A

Astronomy
Written E
Practical -N/A: all practical results were declared null and void due to unforeseen circumstances
Average E

Congratulations, on 8/9 OWLs Mr. Potter. I will be happy to arrange for your Auror training should you still choose that path.

Cool I got an O on everything that I'd need to be an Auror, Snape is going to SHIT! Harry thought gleefully, then suddenly with sudden realization, Oh shit I have Snape for two more years.

"Harry" he turned and saw Hermione standing in the door, she had just gotten up from her bed across the hall, and had wandered over to his room, as the door was still open. She closed it softly as she came inside.

Looks like I got up just in time. "Hey Mione." Damn she looks cute in her pajamas, what...dammit, down boy that's Mione. A different voice replied to his inner dialogue. Really, I hadn't noticed.

Thanks Harry, you didn't get away as fast as you thought, thank you but I wish I hadn't burdened you with my problems. "What do you have there Harry?" She asked curiously.

Harry looked at her and one corner of his mouth twitched upward. Should I tease her, nah I want to live "Oh just OWL results."

"WHAT, Harry... how did you do, wait how did I do?" Hermione rambled back, Hedwig rustled at this disturbance and fluttered over to Hermione, landing on her shoulder she looked reprovingly at Hermione from about four inches away.

"I don't know, I haven't opened yours Mione" Harry replied with an outright grin holding out her results in his hands.

"Damn you Harry James Potter, I...ah hell, open it for me Harry, I can't" She finished almost whining, Hermione dropped her eyes from him and nervously petted Hedwig. Outside the sun has fully risen; soon the rest of the house will probably wake up, except for probably Ron who may require a water spell. Hermione stopped petting a Hedwig a second, "Harry can I see yours, you don't have to..."

Harry just handed his to her without quibbling, and while she was reading it he opened hers and began to read:

Hermione Jane Granger
Enclosed are your OWL results, please owl Albus Dumbledore or myself with any questions that you may have.

Minerva McGonagall
Assistant Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Head of Gryffindor House

Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Written O+
Practical O
Average O+

Another O+ WOW

Transfiguration
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Charms
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Potions
Written O
Practical O
Average O

You too huh, Mione, at least I won't be alone, not that there was any doubt.

Care of Magical Creatures
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Herbology
Written O
Practical O
Average O

Arthimancy
Written O
Practical N/A
Average O

Ancient Runes
Written O
Practical N/A
Average O

History of Magic
Written E
Practical N/A
Average E

Astronomy
Written O
Practical -N/A all practical results were declared null and void due to unforeseen circumstances
Average O

Congratulations, Miss Granger on 10/10 OWLs. I will be happy to arrange for your Auror training should you still choose that path.

Damn, Hermione you got near perfect scores, It's good to know that you're not perfect though. You wanted to be an Auror too? As he thought this...

"HARRY, I'm so proud of you a O+ on DADA, and you made all O's on everything to be an Auror." Hermione looked at him with pride in her eyes, and Harry's heart skipped a beat. He had never really noticed, not really that her eyes were almost even with his, and how the gold flecks in her eyes danced... Harry quickly glanced down at her OWLs.

"Well Hermione, I don't know how to tell you this..." Harry stopped as he saw her expression fall, he couldn't do this, not to her, Ron of course, but not her, not on this. "I'm sorry Mione, I couldn't resist, you aced them, including a O+ in DADA."

Hermione didn't say a word she just leaped forward and hugged Harry hard, as before Harry felt weirdly comfortable with her arms around him. He didn't say a word, but wrapped his arms around her, returning the hug. Only to jump back suddenly as a knock on his door rang though the room. Harry and Hermione exchanged a slightly guilty look and Harry called out, "come in."

"Oh there you are Hermione, dear," Molly said as she saw a Hermione in the room with Harry, "I was just looking for you, breakfast will be in a bit. What are those you have there?" Without a word, Harry and Hermione hand her their results. After she examined them for a second her face lights up, "I'm so proud of you Hermione, and you too Harry, I'm sure you two will make great Aurors with those scores. Are those Ron's?"
Harry just nodded, and handed them to her and she returned his and Hermione's to him. Molly turned to leave but as she walked out the door, she turned back to Harry, "Your parents would be proud Harry."

"Thanks Molly" Harry whispered to the door after she walked away. He turned back to Hermione, "What's with that E in History Miss Granger, sheesh?"

"What about you Mr. Potter you only got an A in that subject." She replied with a grin, then "Ohh I'm sorry Harry" as she remembered why, it was during the examination for that subject, that Harry had received Voldemort's vision that had ultimately led them to the Ministry on that fateful night when Sirius died.

Harry felt a brief pang, but "It's ok, Mione, we can't keep tiptoeing around trying not to hurt each other, or we'll end up going even more insane than we already are." Harry walked towards her, and grabbed her shoulders in his hands. Looking deep into her eyes, "Hermione, I'm not going to let them win", they both knew who them was quite well. "They win when we are too afraid of talking to each other because we may dredge up a bad memory. And I'm not going to let them win ok?" Hermione just nodded quietly, she now had tears in her eyes, and Harry was the one who dragged her into a hug this time.

They were once again interrupted, and Hermione jumped back this time as Ron ambled into the room without knocking, looking still asleep, "hey guys."

Harry and Hermione shared a look that neither knew the meaning of, and both of them turned as one to Ron. "Morning, Ron" Harry said as Ron finally looked up at them.

Ron noticed the parchments in Harry's hand and suddenly turned a slight shade of green. "Harry are those the OWL results?" He asked with a sense of foreboding.

"Yeah mate, they showed up this morning." Harry responded easily.

"Where's mine" Ron asked slowly.

Hermione looked at Ron with an evil glint in her eye, "Oh your mum already took yours."

"OHH Bugger, what did you two get?" He asked hoping by some miracle that Harry's at least had something he could compete with, but his hopes were soon dashed.

"Oh I got an 8/9, Ron" Harry replied casually, he didn't know why Hermione was playing with Ron, but he was going along.

Hermione smiled sweetly, "I got a 10/10 Ron" Take that Ron, you were the one who talked me out of talking to Harry last year when he was suffering from Cedric's death.

"Ohh Bugger" Ron muttered and as if it were a signal...

"RONALD WEASLEY WERE ARE YOU, COME OUT HERE NOW!" Molly Weasley's dulcet tones rung out.

I'm glad we have an Imperturable charm on the house! Harry thought with a glance at where Ron was cowering. "Ron, mate if that were Voldemort I'd be right with ya."

"I know, wish me luck" Ron said grimly as he ducked out the door almost running over Ginny on her way in.

"Hey!" Ginny called out indignantly but Ron was already gone. Harry sat down on his bed and watched the red and gold lava lamp that was Hermione's contribution to the room decorations. Hermione sat down next to him and Ginny sat down on the couch facing them. "I assume from the yelling that your OWLs showed up and Ron didn't do so hot."

"Can't tell you Gin," Hermione responded with a shrug, "Molly grabbed Ron's results before anyone saw them."

"Oh he's fucking toast," Ginny replied with a grin.

"Ginny" Hermione replied as if the language shocked her.

"Oh you try growing up with six brothers, Hermione and see how your language is. Besides, I think I remember a certain prefect in this room saying a few words on occasion. What did you two get? Oh by the way, I'm a prefect too," Ginny replied matter of factly.

Hermione studiously ignored Harry's inquisitive look about the language comment, and replied to Ginny, "Congratulations Ginny, oh I got 10/10 and Harry got a 8/9."

As if in answer, Molly could be heard again. "RONALD BILBUS, WHAT IS THIS, YOU ONLY GOT 4 OWLS. I'M GLAD THAT ONE IS IN DEFENSE AS YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DEFEND YOURSELF WHEN YOU ARE SLEEPING ON THE STREET BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GET A JOB!"

"Ouch" Harry said softly and the two girls just nodded. And Molly continued.

"A T IN HISTORY OF MAGIC"

"They really do issue a T" Hermione said with a sense of wonder.

"A D IN HERBOLOGY, I KNEW THAT YOU WERE USELESS IN THE GARDEN"

Ginny just nodded at this one.

"A D IN ASTRONOMY TOO? AND ONLY AN A IN POTIONS, THERE'S NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET INTO THAT CLASS NOW."

"He wanted to be an Auror too," Harry whispered to Hermione as she sat next to him on the red and gold bedspread. It shifted slightly as she turned back to him.

"Well maybe Dumbledore will let him into the class anyway, it has happened before." She said with a shrug, though inside she guiltily acknowledged that it would be easier on her if she only had to get Harry though two more of years of portions without any of them getting dead or worse expelled.

Built by Text2Html