Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor

madscientist

Jo Rowling still owns this universe, I tried to file a claim to a tiny corner, but alas I was turned down.
Chapter 20: A Simple Trip to Gringott's.

********************Hogwarts**************************

January 9, 2006

It was the first day back for many of the students. Ron's family had left right after New Year's. Which had been a great relief to Ron and Luna who been bursting at the seams to "Celebrate", and they must have, extensively, judging by the exhausted looks both had had the morning after the family had left. It was funny how hard McGonagall had worked at avoiding looking at the two to keep from having to have to say anything. This first morning back, most of the school had shown up for breakfast with only a few late risers missing. Which today for a change included the Head Students. Harry and Hermione met Ron and Luna as they were entering for breakfast. They were running late as Crookshanks had coughed up a hairball on Harry's only clean robes and they had to find a reasonably clean set for him to wear. As they were walking in, Ron and Luna were walking out. The betrothed couple had been inseparable all weekend, and it looked as they were continuing this morning in the same vein. After exchanging murmured greetings, Harry waved to them and he and Hermione walked into the hall.

Reaching their normal seats, Harry and Hermione sat down at the table beside Neville, Ginny, Lavender and Pavarti. A second later Dean Thomas wandered in and dropped down with a thump. He hadn't gotten much sleep with Ron in the room the night before. As Ron had had someone with him the last few nights before, when he had suddenly had to sleep alone again, the infamous spider dreams had returned with a vengeance. "Harry, what the hell is up with those damn spider dreams?" Seamus nodded towards the door to indicate the departed Ron, "Since you moved up to the Head's room this year I've had to have a bed next to him, and every night, it's "The spiders are making me dance," Or "I don't want to eat the spiders", or "Don't eat me big spider" or some bloody damn thing."

"Hell if I know" Harry replied with a laugh. "He's been that way as long as I've known him"

With a flutter of wings, a swarm of owls filled the hall. Harry briefly looked for Hedwig but he as usual he didn't see her. It was not a surprise really, as almost the only people who would send him mail were all ready here. An owl did swoop down in front of Hermione, and delivered her copy of the Daily Prophet.

Harry glanced at the front page as Hermione dug into the articles. She could read the entire paper faster than most could read the front page after all. As Harry was reading a report on a You-Know-Who sighting in York, Hermione spotted an article of interest and started reading aloud. "Harry, listen to this, Ministry officials report that sometime over the Christmas Holiday a fire broke out in the Division of Historical Records. A Ministry spokesman stated that the records destroyed were of buildings and landmarks from eight hundred to fifteen hundred years old. Records of more modern structures were not affected. Odd that a fire could break out in there with the anti-fire charms that should have been present."

"Yeah, that is odd Hermione" Harry responded with about half his attention. He had been busy reading about the mysterious disappearance of two Ministry employees.

RING, the first bell rung.

"We better go; we have Defense with Dumbledore." Harry said getting to his feet, automatically picking up both his and Hermione's bags.

Hermione rose also, and taking her bag from him, "Yeah we better, oh by the way do you have your lesson plan for this afternoon made up yet?" She crooked an eyebrow at him as she shouldered her bag.

"No dear, I was going to do it after lunch," Harry replied a little guiltily, "my first years won't be good for much anyway. I wonder where Ron and Luna have gotten to, they both have class at the same time as us?" Harry asked as they reached the first floor main hall.

"How about over there?" Hermione pointed at an alcove along the way. In the alcove a tall red haired boy could be seen leaning over a blond girl, both of them in Gryffindor colors. "Honesty, are we that bad?" She asked Harry, with a smile lighting her chocolate eyes.

"I don't know" as he stole a kiss "are we?"

Hermione just chuckled as she conceded his point without saying a word. "Come on then dear, or our beloved Headmaster might see how much we really know about deflecting jinxes.

"Come on you two, we gotta go!" Harry yelled over to the couple in the alcove. Ron just looked up and grinned. Holding Luna's hand he gave her a kiss and then followed the rest of the seventh year Gryffindors into the room, waving goodbye to her as he went.

Hermione didn't know that her words were prophetic. As they had been sitting there, in their usual front row seats, Dumbledore had called them up to demonstrate how one could aim a stunner in combat to achieve certain effects. Such as shooting a fleeing individual in the leg to make them fall down. Harry of course got volunteered to be the victim, much to the amusement some of the Slytherins in the back of the class including Draco Malfoy who had just recently been reinstated as a prefect. This amusement was fleeting however.

"MR.MALFOY" Dumbledore said softly, as he was suddenly beside the problem student, "Do you have a comment to make?" Dumbledore stood waiting for a response, a frown distorting his cheeks.

"Er, No sir" Malfoy responded, hesitantly.

Dumbledore clapped his hands in mock cheer, "Splendid, I dare say that Mr. Potter is tired of just being a target, why don't you go up to the front and lets find out if you can demonstrate on how to best use this curse when the target is moving. Hmm."

"Uhh sure Professor." Malfoy walked up to the front and faced off with Potter.

"Ready" Dumbledore asked and received two nods, "GO!"

Malfoy immediately pointed his wand and screamed "Flamous." A purple wand of flame shot out from Malfoy's wand. His heart in his throat, Dumbledore's head snapped towards the duel. He had glanced at the class, away from the duel for just a second. The curse Malfoy had just used, while not technically an unforgivable, shoots a wand of fire like a magical flamethrower and could be deadly if used in combat and even had been known to cause nerve damage. Fortunately for Draco's continued breathing, Dumbledore's fears were unfounded, as a second wand had already tracked to a spot right between his eyes, the eyes guiding that wand, like chips of brown flint, the tip already glowing.

Because Hermione's efforts were not needed either; at the instant Draco had launched his attack, Harry's eyes had flashed for an instant and time had seemed to slow down, for him anyway. He had all the time in the world to twist out of the way of the curse and to return a careful "Expelliarmus." Harry was much, much better than his own first year students and the perfectly aimed disarming charm knocked Draco's wand into the air. Where it arched precisely into Harry's waiting left hand. Harry casually pointed Draco's wand, "Stupefy," a red bolt of light hit Malfoy in the right knee. Draco took one step and fell over, his leg having been knocked asleep.

"I believe that is the effect that you were looking for, Professor?" Harry asked, careful to not show anything other than an earnest expression.

"Yes, Mr. Potter I believe that it is. You and Miss Granger may sit down." Hermione nodded and brushed Harry's hand as she sheathed her wand with her other hand, the slight glow on the tip going out as she lowered it. Dumbledore sauntered over to Draco. "Enervate" and Drano's leg woke up. "Mr. Malfoy you may also return to your seat, unless you need to see Madame Pomfrey?"

"No Sir, I'm fine" Draco replied though gritted teeth, as he got up. Draco returned to the rear of the class, shooting a lethal glare at Harry as he strode by.

The rest of the class passed quickly and the bell soon enough rang. As the students got up to leave, "Mr. Potter, may I have a word?"

"I'll be there in a sec, Mione." Harry gave her a kiss on the cheek and turned back to Dumbledore. Hermione nodded slightly and walked out with Ron and the other Gryffindors; Dean was miming Harry's catch and casual stunning of Draco as they walked out to great amusement of the others.

"Harry." Harry turned to look at Dumbledore; "I have found that Remus and I are free this afternoon if you want to retrieve that item we discussed earlier. Will three at my office be acceptable?"

"Yeah sure Professor." Harry responded, suddenly nervous.

Dumbledore had known Harry for many years, he picked up on his sudden reticence right away, "Harry, you don't have to do this just because your friend got engaged. You can wait."

"No Grandfather...I want to go get it, I don't know when I will ask, but I will do so, I have to find the right time. Can I take Ron along with us?"

"I understand Harry. Yes Mr. Weasley can come along. It's fitting that he does, if he had black hair it the events would be similar to the when your father picked up that ring. I remember that Remus and Sirius had to go with him for moral support."

*****************Headmaster's office****************

3pm

Harry and Ron arrived at Dumbledore's office and Ron said the password. The gargoyle stepped slowly aside and the two rode the revolving stairs upward. "So mate," Ron started, grinning, "how did you loose your girlfriend for the afternoon?"

"How did you loose yours?" Harry countered, with a chuckle.

Ron shrugged, "I blamed you and said that you and I had to work out Quiddich strategies."

"Dumbledore had McGonagall have her help with something or other." Harry responded vaguely as they entered the room.

Entering and automatically looking for Dumbledore, Harry noticed Remus standing beside Dumbledore's large fireplace. He was leaning casually against the ancient stones, an air of amusement dancing in his gaze. A green flame was burning in the fireplace, still there from the last person to use it. He smiled at the pair and waved towards the emerald flames, "Albus went on ahead, are you two ready?"

"Yeah, lets go," Harry, answered for both of them. As quick as he could, very possibly so he wouldn't change his mind, he rapidly crossed the room, and stood looking into the green conflagration.

Taking a slightly nervous deep breath, Harry grabbed a pinch of floo powder. With a toss of the powder he shouted "Diagon Alley" and disappeared into the flames. Seconds later, after passing thousands of other fireplaces, Harry staggered out into the main room at the Leaky Cauldron. Dumbledore was already there nursing a butterbeer, watching the fireplaces for them to appear.

Noticing him appearing in the flames, Dumbledore raised the bottle in salute. "Hello Harry, I came on ahead, I was thirsty. Want one?" The headmaster asked, stars glittering in his eyes.

"Yeah I might need it." Harry replied, as he crossed to his room, and took a cold bottle from Tom; who had already been walking towards the table when Harry arrived, a tray of beers in hand.

A bare instant later, Ron and Lupin appeared by the fireplace and they too grabbed a beer before they all headed into Diagon Alley proper. At the far end of the street, the late afternoon January sun glinted off of the imposing white artifice of Gringott's. The four walked to it, and straight in the front door. The inside of Gringott's, was if anything more imposing than the outside. Goblins and human wizards were everywhere; the operations of the main bank for the wizarding world were never ending. The literally untold wealth that was kept in the underground vaults was reflected in the appointments of the lobby, every floor was polished marble, every doorknob gold, and every office window, crystal. Harry led the way to the receptionist, a rather attractive, for a goblin anyway, receptionist.

"Can I help you?" She? Asked politely.

Reaching under his shirt, Harry pulled out a key on a chain. "Yes, I'm Harry Potter, and I need access to my vault, please."

In response, the receptionist pulled a binder from a set of shelves behind her and worked down the list contained within, after a minute or two of looking, "Very well sir, Gronk take these gentlemen to 117542."

"This way gentlemen." Gronk murmured in a rough voice from the side. Following him through a series of doors and down a series of dim passageways, the four boarded a rail car with the goblin guide. The car then set off on a long trip that always reminded Harry of a seeker chase of the snitch. After almost three minutes, they arrived at the Harry's vault. "Number 117542, your key sir."

Harry placed his key in a slot on one side of the vault and the goblin placed a key in a slot on the other and at a nod from Gronk, they both turned the keys at the same time. A massive door slowly ground open to reveal a rather huge pile of gold galleons along with other coins. On shelves to one side were several other items that Harry had never bothered to investigate, but the one of interest tonight was in a small, velvet box. Harry walked over, grabbed the box, pocketed it and after a long moment of consideration he grabbed two other longer wood boxes, each about fourteen inches long. While he was here he pocketed a bit of cash as well, but his primary purpose was done: they left the vault. It closed again with a reverberating boom. As Gronk led the way, all of them rode back to the surface and left the bank.

"Damn, Harry I knew that you were loaded but blimey. Now I don't feel so bad for making you buy lunch last time at Hogsmeade." Ron said with a whistle. At one time the Weasleys had been, well basically dirt poor, but Arthur's appointment to Minister of Magic had helped a great deal. In addition, the boys that were out of school had all done well for themselves, especially George and Fred, whose joke shop and later owl order business had taken off. In fact it had taken off so well that the small investment Ron had slipped his brothers when they had expanded into a second franchise had allowed him to buy the ring that was on Luna's hand. Of course Harry had donated the money that had allowed them to get started in the first place, but the entire "family" had benefited from the success of the stores.

"Yeah" Harry said uncomfortably, "I forgot that you had never actually been to my vault with me, it's actually more than the last time I checked, Sirius had set up some of it as investments in the will and it's grown a lot." Harry turned away slightly from him to hide his face, one of the main reasons he tried to stay away from his vault as much as possible, was the fact that the sight was just another reminder that Sirius and his parents had died to leave that to him.

"Mate, it doesn't bother me, it probably would have when I was younger, but hey I figure that you've paid enough for it." Ron replied, also uncomfortable with the tone of this conversation. And in fact he wasn't jealous at all really. Or rather he probably was a little, but he knew that Harry would have spilt it in a heartbeat with his friends, and in fact had tried more than once. "Anyway lets see it."

With a small smile, Harry led the four over to a group of outdoor tables at a sidewalk café. "Ok" Harry replied, and pulled the box from his pocket, and eased open the box. All four of them beheld a gold ring with a large diamond in the center flanked by a pair of clear, faceted jewels. The ring was obviously goblin work and was breathtaking even in its relative simplicity. As they watched, and to Harry and Ron's amazement if no one else's, inscriptions of runes flared to life on the band, and in a small flash of light, the side jewels changed to a ruby and a sapphire; the birthstones for July and September. The runes faded away, but the side stones remained, glowing very faintly in the shadow of the box.

With a slow, hesitant nod Remus regarded the ring and then looked away with tears in his eyes, "Yeah that's Lily's, but I never did find out how you got it Harry, their rings and wands were gone when I got to the house, on..." He stopped unable to go on, looking at Harry.

"It's ok Remus, I know what happened. Sirius said that he got to the house right after Hagrid. Hagrid had just left with me, and the muggle police and firefighters were coming. He said that he grabbed the rings and wands for safekeeping. He said that mum had said that she wanted me to have them if anything happened. Anyway, he sent the stuff via courier to Gringott's and they put them in his vault according to his instructions. Then when he was speaking to Dumbledore again, he had Dumbledore transfer them to my vault."

Remus looked up from the ring, "Then the other two boxes are?" He asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"Yeah they are their wands" Harry closed the box and returned the ring to his pocket. He pulled out the two wand boxes and placing them on the table, opened them for inspection.

"Ten and a quarter inches and made of willow and eleven inches of mahogany" Remus whispered a touch reverently as the pair of wands saw daylight for the first time in sixteen years. James and Lily had been his best friends in the world and he knew their wands as well as his.

"Yeah, well I'm giving Hermione mum's wand and I'm going to carry dad's along with mine. After all I think we've proven well enough that my wand and Riddle's can't go spell to spell directly," Harry said with a twinge of guilt that Lupin immediately picked up as he put the wands away again.

"Harry, trust me, your parents, especially Lily would have wanted for Hermione to have her wand. And I'm sure your dad would be proud for you to carry his wand in along with your own." Remus said to Harry with absolute conviction, he grasped both of Harry's shoulders and looked directly into his face, a small smile gracing his lips.

"Thanks, Remus" Harry said with a sudden grin. Then just as quickly his smile faded. As the four had been standing, the day started getting dark, and their breath started fogging in front of their faces, it had been a rather warm winter's day. "Aw shit..." Harry murmured. As one, the four of them looked up to the terrifying sight, of a silent wall of Dementors approaching from down the street. There were at least as many as attacked Harry and Sirius or Harry and Hermione, depending on your viewpoint in time, in their third year. The dark tide of Dementors wavered every so often as one or two would peel off to drain an innocent or to administer the "kiss", but advanced inexorably nonetheless towards Harry and the rest.

"Form a circle" Dumbledore commanded, and the quartet aligned back to back. With four echoed shouts of "EXPECTO PATRONUM," four glowing protectors appeared. A stag, a phoenix, a wolf and a hedgehog appeared. Without any instruction, the four patroni attacked the Dementors. Prongs, of course, charged the Dementors knocking them down like bowling pins. Dumbledore's spectral phoenix dove from the sky and where it passed, Dementors were no more. Lupin's ethereal wolf rampaged like its appearance would suggest, ripping with spectral death at the Dementors. Finally Ron's hedgehog rolled up into a ball and shot ghostly quills, like arrows, at the Dementors.

After the first pass the patroni returned to their masters, and maybe half of the Dementors had been driven away, but there were still far too many. With an echoing CRACK, Tonks and Moody apparated in. Fresh cries of "EXPECTRO PATRONUM" echoed over the cobblestones and two more patroni, a panther and a stallion appeared. Along with the original protectors, the new arrivals chased the remainder of the Dementors away. As the last of the Dementors vanished, the patroni all returned to the respective casters wands with the exception of Prongs, who bowed to Harry and Lupin before he too returned, waiting to be summoned again when needed.

"Wotcher, I'm glad that we got your signal, Professor." Tonks shouted to Dumbledore with evident relief. She looked over at Remus, with a slightly wild look in her eye. He gave her a grim smile, and she nodded. Harry had just now noticed the absence of the vibration of the phoenix medallion. He had been too busy to notice it vibrating when he had been battling the Dementors.

"As am I Nymphadora, however for now there are people to help." With a wave of his wand Dumbledore summoned a great pile of chocolate, and taking some, he started feeding it to victims of the attack. The ones that they could help anyway, at least five that Harry could see had lost their very souls to the Dementors and they laid as empty husks on the street.

As they were working Kingsley Shaklebolt finally appeared with a squad of Aurors. Hurrying over to Dumbledore he explained, "I'm glad you were here Albus, I'm sorry it took us so long to get here, but this wasn't the only attack. So far we have a confirmed attack on a Muggle cruise ship out of Dover by at least one dragon, and the sacking of several manors on the Isle of Man by a horde of trolls. The cruise ship may have been at total loss; the manors were fortunately a group of wizard families so they were able to hold them off for a while. We are thinking that those were diversions so we wouldn't respond to you in time."

"It is possible, Kingsley, it would fit their pattern since last year. As you are now here, we will return to Hogwarts, in case we are needed there." With a snap of his fingers, the original four and Tonks and Moody vanished, silently into the air.


A/N poor Harry can't even go to the bank in piece. Ohh Lady Starlight...Hermione has to "face" the thestrals next chapter.

Built by Text2Html