Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor

madscientist

I still own nothing really. Sorry its been a bit, RL sucks sometimes. And now, without further adu, back to the show.
Chapter 49: Four Become Two

****************************Hogwarts, Great Hall*************************

The Great Hall was decorated beyond that which anyone here had ever seen it before. The enchanted ceiling, ever showing a magical sky, was showing a bright, happy sun. Whole squadrons of doves flitted about the rafters, where they competed with more than one owl familiar. The normal, house tables had been removed, in their place, rows and rows of pews stretched to the back of the long hall. Half of which were already occupied. Fred, George, Seamus and Dean were acting as users, each of them leading the many, many guests that had shown up to this occasion. At least half of the guests that had already arrived were young, still in school or just out of it. There was no real bride or groom's side...that would have been really complicated to figure out.

Molly Weasley was standing near the stage, directing the ushers, several paid house elves and Arthur, like a general directing her troops. The stage was decorated in white, little fairy lights danced above a faintly glowing arch that had appeared from somewhere. Crimson and gold roses were woven into the arch, while at the very top, a spray of lilies hung down. Above the stage, and indeed above the pews as well, the Gryffindor House flag hung, appropriate, now even more so than at the end of year feast when Gryffindor had won the house cup once again. Those celebrated here tonight had won much more than a mere gold cup.

In the second row, on the right, Tonks sat, chatting amicably to Pavarti, Padma and Lavender who where seated a couple of rows behind her. The girls were dressed and ready for their parts in the wedding, Tonks had come in to talk to Molly for a moment and had ended up talking to Padma about her own pending nuptials. Glowing slightly, she was showing them the ring that Lupin had given her only days before. The old wolf had been inspired. It was slowly shifting colors as they watched, a suitable ring for one of her unique talents. Seated silently next to Padma, was the somewhat shocking guest that had arrived on her arm. Draco Malfoy sat quietly, looking around at the decorations. He sighed occasionally, as he realized that he would probably be related to all these people soon...he knew of the old relation of the Weasleys to the Blacks. Next to Tonks, trying to ignore her, Alastor Moody sat. He was in full mess dress uniform. It was probably only the second or third time in many, many years that he had worn the full dress uniform. His vast collection of medals was slightly daunting against the midnight blue of his uniform, almost more so than the rapidly spinning, electric blue eye that regarded each guest in turn, even though it would be suicidal for any to attempt to disrupt tonight's festivities.

He was joined in turn by Minerva McGonagall. The matronly witch was smiling softly as she looked up at the stage. Her eyes were already wet as she answered some question from her former students. Next to her, Professor Flitwick sat on a tall pile of cushions, so he could see over the seats. A row back from them, Petunia sat with Dudley. She was not talking much, and Dudley knew to be quiet. They were both dressed well, Dudley in a very large set of dark blue dress robes, she in a matching dress. Like everyone else including a certain pair of house elves and the various members of the Weasley clan, they were waiting for the show to begin. The remainder of the Hogwarts staff was scattered throughout the crowd, Professor Vector occupying the pews next to a handsome, older wizard that had taken off an old battered fedora as he sat and placed it under the bench. The pair suddenly flew upwards as the end of the pew they were sitting on shot skyward. The older wizard, snapped out a wand with the speed that comes from long experience, and flicked a levitation charm at himself and Amanda Vector.

"Thanks Henry" Vector smiled at him. He motioned with a pair of fingers as if tipping the hat that was still on the ground.

"No problem Ma'am" Jones replied as he settled them to the ground, and waited for her to regain her seat before taking his seat next to her once more.

"'Orry." Hagrid murmured apologetically, though his murmur was about as loud as a normal person talking. Maxine had a rather pretty blush as she muttered an apology. Jones and Vector waved off their apologies. In the rows behind them, Professors Sprout, Glyph and Sinestra sat talking quietly among themselves.

With a glance at her watch, Tonks suddenly gasped and pulled Pavarti and Lavender with her down the length of the aisle and out the doors.

In the anteroom behind the stage, all was not so peaceful. Harry watched as Ron was pacing fitfully back and forth, his complexion slightly green. Which, while a pleasing combination with his hair for Christmas, wasn't the best for today's events. Joining Harry in watching him, Lupin, Sirius and Neville, who would be standing up with them, were variously lounging about, each carefully standing so as not to mangle their dress robes, or in Harry, Ron and Lupin's case, their dress midnights. It had been decided that they would go ahead and wear them, as they were publicly on the roles as inactive reserve officers anyway. And besides, the golden shield of the Order of Merlin was a pretty decoration at Harry and Ron's throats. As this was the full dress, the Sword of Gryffindor hung at his left, his wand was hanging in a sheath on his right. Ron was dressed similarly with the exception that the falchion he had captured in the battle in the hall now hung at his side. Both were polished within an inch of there existences.

"Come on Ron." Harry said as Ron passed once more. He grinned, "Honestly...its not that bad." Behind Harry, Sirius and Lupin tried not to chuckle.

Ron glared at him, "Don't you start channeling Hermione, Harry." He spun to Lupin, "And just you wait Moony, your time will come soon enough, I saw Tonks with that ring." He started pacing again, his color slightly better.

Harry rolled his eyes and glanced at the others in the room. "Can you give us a second guys?" Neville nodded and lead the others out, instantly reinforcing Harry's opinion of the young man. I just hope he and Ginny will be ok...I'll honor Mione's promise, of course, and help them anyway we can...Harry put that line of thought out of his mind as he turned to his best friend. "Really Ron, what's wrong."

"Blimey Harry, why aren't you nervous?" Ron asked instead. He shook his head before Harry could answer however. "Never mind...It's just Hermione..."

"And it's just Luna." Harry retorted. "I think you know her Ron..." He grinned; "this was your idea. You asked her remember?"

"I was there." Ron muttered, trying to hide a grin. He looked over at Harry. "Let's do this." Harry nodded and the two shared a hug. A soft knock echoed at the door and as they stepped back and turned to the door, Neville stuck his head back in.

"You're on."

***************************Brides' Waiting Chambers**********************

In the Brides' chambers, also known most days as the main Transfiguration classroom, a mirror to the events taking place in the Grooms' chamber was taking place. Ginny watched, transfixed like a muggle at a tennis match, as Hermione paced back and forth, annoying enough in its repetition that Ginny, for one brief moment, thought about trying to petrify her. Only a couple of quite valid objections flashed through her mind as her hand eased, totally of its own accord, towards her hidden wand. First was that she probably couldn't pull it off, and second...Hermione was still keeping her secrets. Her hand stopped and rested in her lap.

In marked contrast to Hermione and her sudden case of nerves, Luna was sitting easily on a large, soft couch, her eyes looking half asleep. Of course, the known fact that Luna could probably sleep through a Death Eater attack, and most likely considered a class five tornado a minor inconvenience, if she even bothered to notice it, might have some clue to the matter. She looked up, vaguely, at Hermione and smiled. "Hermione what's wrong?"

"I don't bloody well know." The brunette snapped back, her eyes tracking towards Luna. "I'm just....I mean...I...bloody hell." Hermione sighed as she stopped and rested a hand on the wall. "I'm a bundle of nerves right now. And I don't know why...it's just Harry after all."

"Oh listen to her, Lav." Pavarti said brightly as she, Tonks and Lavender entered the room. "It's just Harry..." she grinned, "She's the only on this entire planet that gets him and she goes...it's just Harry." Lavender laughed, as the bride to be saluted Pavarti, rudely.

But after another moment, she laughed as well. Taking a deep breath she gathered herself, and sat next to Luna. The remainder of the girls still stood, looking down at them expectantly. Hermione glanced up, "how's it looking out there?"

Tonks shrugged, "oh about half of wizarding England is here. And the other half is split between those too afraid to show and those that didn't get the invitation in time." After considering the matter a little further, "Hermione you can come to my and Wolfie's wedding, but we're going to Vegas or somewhere. Molly is not getting within a thousand miles of mine."

"Ohh thanks." Hermione replied snarkishly, as the rest, except Luna, giggled at her expense. "You shut up Ginny, just wait until mum gets around to yours, she got distracted with two at once, here. Just think of what she can come up with only one wedding." Ginny suddenly looked slightly pale at the prospect, as Luna nodded at Hermione's words.

"At least Daddy was able to be the only paper represented here." Luna put in airily, as everyone turned to look at her. She in turn looked at the wall, and a small grin blossomed on her lips. "Its time. The boys are out there." She bounced to her feet just as a soft knock echoed at the door. A moment later, Arthur Weasley stuck his head in the room, followed closely by Jack Lovegood.

"Ready girls?" He asked, holding out his arm for Hermione as Jack did the same for his daughter. Hermione took it as she took a breath.

"Let's go."

****************************Hogwarts, Great Hall**************************

With a suddenly, rapidly beating heart, Harry forgot all about the advice he had just given Ron and froze. Ron grinned at him as he took an elbow and started Harry towards the door. Jolted into movement, the pack of them exited the antechamber into the Great Hall.

As they entered the hall from the side, it was instantly apparent that the hall was packed. While this was, more or less, originally a small private ceremony, in many ways this was a wedding of wizarding royalty. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley each were literally household names in the wizarding world. Harry, of course, had been so even before the defeat of Voldemort. Hermione and Ron, while not at his level of fame, at that time, were now almost equal to him in recognition.

If that was the only reason that none of the Ministry officials that had been pro forma invited, along with as many of the Hogwarts students and recent alums that could rangle invitations, were present, it would be enough, but there were older, more binding reasons as well. Only vaguely recognized by Ron, and totally unrealized by Harry or Hermione, both the Weasleys and the Potters were old, old wizarding lines. The Lovegoods only somewhat less so. There were ancient alliances and other treaties to take into account. And even beyond that, and the individual fame and worth of the four, Arthur was Minister of Magic after all, and two of the ones getting married where his. In the end, the quartet's small, peaceful wedding had turned, mostly through Molly's instantly huge guest list into an Event, with a capital E. One would almost think that she had already had the lists ready to go, just in case. Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna's quick, handwritten invitations that had gone out Wednesday had multiplied several times over by Thursday when Molly had gotten involved. Only in the Wizarding world could such a turn around happen.

Fortunately for their peace of mind, most of the superfluous guests would probably leave the reception early. Harry and Ron's little band settled in at the head of the room. It had been a little confusing where everyone would stand, it being a double wedding and all, and exactly who would be the best man and maid of honor for each couple, as the obvious choices for the posts, were the ones getting married next to them. In the end, the four of them had rounded out the sextet and added the remainder of the Marauders, with the exception of the twins, and Hermione's old roommates. The final distribution ended up with Ginny acting as maid of honor for Hermione and Tonks for Luna, with Lavender and Pavarti rounding out the side. Tonks had been "convinced" that she should be more or less natural on her hair color choice by Molly, so she had gone with her natural black today. On the other side of the aisle, discounting there was no particular "side" in this particular joining, Neville had ended up being the best man for Ron, with Sirius as Harry's. Remus and Bill completed the rest of the group.

Dumbledore appeared from a side room, resplendent in midnight blue robes, not coincidentally matching the dress uniforms of Harry, Ron, Alastor and Remus. The robes were his official ones as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, though like Mad-Eye, he never wore them. Of course if there was a time to change that streak it was today. In his left hand, he held a very old and worn leather book. In his right, he loosely held his wand. If the twinkle in his eye could be compared to that on a normal day, it would compare about like the noonday sun to a candle. He smiled at Harry, his eyes twinkling all the while as he took his place at the front of the room. He turned to Ron, visibly biting back a chuckle. "Shall we?" He asked quietly. Harry met his eyes and nodded, Dumbledore turned to the audience and without so much as a gesture; the room fell silent. He made the tiniest of flicks with his wand, and sudden, haunting music echoed in the hall as the huge doors to the Great Hall whispered open.

Lavender and Pavarti appeared; each dressed identically in a dark blue dress, which bared their shoulders. Flowers were in the girls' hair; a crimson rose behind Pavarti's ear, a white one behind Lavender's. The girls flowed down the aisle, each peeling off to stand to one side. Lavender to stand next to Bill who was near Ron and Pavarti to stand next to Remus who was keeping Sirius company next to Harry.

A slight rustling sound was heard in the crowd and several flashbulbs popped as Ginny and Tonks emerged next, the doors easing shut behind them. The pair walked slowly down the aisle, almost as if they were practicing for their own upcoming nuptials. Perhaps they were. Finally as they reached the end of the hall, the pair peeled off to go stand by Sirius and Neville, but not before each of them paused to kiss Harry or Ron on the cheek. The music faded to silence.

"Thanks Gin." Harry muttered out of the side of his mouth. She nodded knowingly. Her ring was displayed prominently on her hand, as she took Sirius' hand as he guided her to her place next to him. From the direction of the front pews, where the families sat, the five animagi and one werewolf could all hear something that sounded a great deal like a hushed, "another one?"

The doors opened again and music rang out once more. A vast rustling was heard as the entire crowd surged to their feet and turned towards the doors. Out of the dim hallway, Luna appeared on the arm of a dark haired man bearing her features. A wreath of lilies crowned her head as she slowly marched down the aisle in the company of her father. An almost constant crackle of flashbulbs lit the hall as she looked up, and her eyes finally met Ron's. Her eyes filled with tears as she smiled softly at him, her attention fully and totally in the here and now. After a long couple of minutes, she arrived at the end of the aisle. She and her father stepped to the side of the aisle and she gazed up at Ron as they waited.

Harry smiled over at her, catching his eye, she grinned back and gestured with her head back towards the door. Harry's head snapped to it just as a thought crossed the ether to him. Ready Harry?

For about seven years now. Harry replied instantly. A sudden murmuring was heard once more, and if anything the number of flashbulbs doubled as Hermione stepped into the aisle, her arm intertwined with Arthur's. Across the almost two hundred yard length of the hall, their eyes met, and the tiniest flicker crossed their eyes. Or maybe it was just the reflection of the blue sky of the ceiling in their wet eyes. Merlin...you look beautiful. Harry whispered in his thoughts. She smiled in response, not trusting words even in her thoughts right now.

Like Luna, a wreath of white lilies crowned her head, like the tiara of some emperess. Her hair fell down her back in small ringlets. A flowing, white dress bared her shoulders, while a short train followed along behind. The dress had been one she had seen years ago, when she was still in primary school, and she had told her mum that was the one she was to be wed in. Whether or not Jane Granger had believed the eight-year-old Hermione, her prediction had come true. Her bottom lip quivered just the tiniest bit, probably only Harry knew her well enough to actually detect it as she looked up at him. Thanks Harry. She managed, finally, as she and Arthur reached the end of the aisle.

Dumbledore waved once more, the music fell silent as the great doors swung shut with nary a sound. He turned to the crowd and without raising his voice, or using Sonorus, every ear could hear him as clearly as if he were whispering in their ear. "Dear Friends," He scanned around the room, "we are gathered here today to celebrate the joining of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley and Luna Lovegood in the bonds of matrimony." He turned and looked at Luna and her father. "Who gives this woman away?"

Jack smiled and gave a little bowing nod as he and Luna approached Dumbledore. "I, Jack Lovegood and the spirit of her mother, Annette, give her away." Dumbledore extended a long-fingered hand. She kissed her dad on the cheek and took Dumbledore's hand. He smiled down at her as he handed her off to Ron. Tonks almost had to scramble to catch the bouquet Luna had held in her hands as she passed it to Tonks in her hurry to grab Ron's hands. Small chuckles came from the front row as Ron took her hands in his, more or less steadily and squeezed them reassuringly.

Dumbledore turned to Hermione and Arthur. "And who gives this woman away?" His eyes twinkled.

"I, Arthur Weasley and Molly Weasley give her away, in lieu of her birth parents Roger and Jane." Dumbledore extended a hand to her; she turned and hugged Arthur hard enough to make him cough as she too kissed her escort on the cheek. She took Dumbledore's hand, and with only a tiny bit more decorum than Luna, she actually handed the bouquet to Ginny; she took Harry's hands.

As soon as their hands met, their nervousness flowed away, leaving a crystalline clarity behind. The room suddenly was brighter, the sounds louder and more crisp. In the brightly lit hall, it was almost impossible to tell that Hermione's ring was glowing, pulsing in time with their hearts, which had naturally set into the same beat as they met. I am so glad to see you again. Harry whispered and Hermione barely bit back a giggle.

You too.

Dumbledore looked at them tolerantly as if waiting for them to finish, even though none could hear their conversation. More flashbulbs snapped as Dumbledore looked out over the crowd once more. He raised a hand, a finger extended, "In life there are many reasons to celebrate. The accomplishment of a friend, the end of an arduous trial, but perhaps none so much as what we are here to celebrate today." He opened his arms as if to encompass them all, before closing them again. "Today we are here to celebrate the joining of two pairs of souls. I have witnessed these four since the day they came into this school." Not so subdued laughs came in response from the direction of the Professors at that comment, he grinned at them and even Hermione cracked a crooked smile. "And in all of my years I have seen few that that have shared a closer bond, first as friends and later...as so much more.

Tears slid down Hermione's cheek as Harry squeezed her hands. Behind her, Luna gave Ron a small smile as his thumb ran absently over her fingers. Dumbledore looked at each couple before continuing. "It is for this purpose that so many of us are delaying our end of term celebrations." The crowd exploded with laughter, or at least those students, Professors and alumni of Hogwarts present. Harry laughed. "For this sacrifice, dear friends, I am extremely grateful."

"In the old tradition, as our couples have chosen today, marriage is a sacred vow, breakable only at great cost to the participants. It may not be torn asunder, except under the most dire of circumstances. We are here to witness the bonding of the powers, hearts and very lives of these two couples." He raised his eyes to the crowd, "it is for this reason that I must ask if any present today can bear witness as to why these two couples should not pursue this course. Speak now or forever be silent." A ringing quiet answered his words, the only sounds the soft rustling of clothes or the wings of doves and owls in the rafters. He waited a beat and then two. "Very well then." He turned to Ron and Luna. "You may begin."

Ron gave the barest of nods as he stared into Luna's eyes. Blue meeting blue, "Luna, we first met as mere children playing outside of town. We drifted apart until destiny flung us back together as we should have always been. I was missing a part of my heart and did not know it, until I saw you smile at me. I am nothing without your light in my soul, a lost animal in the wilderness. I am honored that you chose to live your life with me in my heart and my home. With all my heart I wish to take you as my wife, for now and ever." Soft sobs came from the direction of the Weasleys and even, maybe, from McGonagall.

Luna hated decorum anyway. She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek to a smattering of applause. She stood back on her heels, her hands crushing his, "Ronald, you have been my knight, my protector, my confidant and the owner of my very heart since my eyes first saw you. I wish nothing more than to be that light in your soul. My fondest wish is to take you as my husband for now and forever. Merlin himself will not tear me from your side, my love."

Dumbledore nodded knowingly, he turned and looked at Harry and Hermione, "you may begin."

Harry looked at her as echoes of the last seven years slammed through his thoughts and hers. Images of them laughing in the rain, her hugging him at the Potions puzzle before he faced Voldemort in his first year and her crushing hug as she first saw him that terrible fifth year. Of the fire in her eyes as their lips first met in the aftermath of the Battle of Hogsmeade and of the darkness in them as she looked at him in the troughs of passion. Of quiet evenings cuddled together on the common room couch and of the crash of spellfire as she stood at his back in the maelstrom. Of her arms holding him as he finally broke after Sirius seemingly died and of his holding her through the dark nights in September. For a long moment he could say nothing, then all at once it erupted forth.

The room shrank to just the two of them as they leaned together, until their foreheads touched. Chocolate eyes met his jade ones. Only Dumbledore's voice projection charm carried their words to the rest of the hall as Harry began. "Hermione...when I saw you come into my compartment seven years ago, even then I knew something special had just happened to me. I was just too daft to see it." Muted laughter spread around the hall.

"In you I learned the meaning of friendship, of family, of love. In your eyes I found the courage to go on and the joy to live again. I owe you more than I can ever repay, but I wish to spend eternity trying. Hermione Jane you have possessed the key to my heart for longer than I knew there was a lock. My powers, my life, honor and my very soul are yours to command. In all of my life there is nothing I have wanted more than to take you as my wife for now and for always, in the dark times as well as in the light. I love you Mione." Harry's voice cracked slightly on his last words. Hermione leaned forward and kissed his lips softly before pulling back.

She looked into his eyes in turn, no one in the hall existing except him as a collage of memories found their way to her mind's eye. Of that scene as she burst in on a pair of gangly eleven year old wizards, one with hair of flame, one of jet, as the redhead tried to color his rat yellow, and she demanded if they had seen a toad. Of the brilliantly green pair of eyes as they met hers and the sudden hammering in her chest as an unbreakable bond was formed. Of the night their eyes had met across a crowded dance floor, each there with someone else, and of a later night spent at another ball whiling away the time before stepping into the fire. Of her falling into his arms as she and her parents escaped a Christmas trap. Of the pair of them standing back to back in the Chamber, ready to die together, if only it would save the world, and the feeling as they woke in each others' arms the next day. Of a fight that would remain a Hogwarts legend for years and of the look of love in his eyes as they snuck off to go make out in some isolated cul-de-sac. "Harry, you have given my life meaning long before I knew what that meaning was. You wiped my tears and held my hand, when no one else would stand with me. You made me a better person, with your friendship and your love. You say you were daft, I was worse...I'm the smart one..." Additional laughter rang out, with perhaps the most from the red head next to them.

"Harry, you do not have to ask for my heart, or my soul...they are already yours and they have been for a very long time. I learned the true role of family in your arms and the power of love in your heart. There has been no time in the past seven years that you were far from my thoughts, or my heart. I wish for nothing more than to take you as my husband, to stand with you in the darkness as well as the light. I love you too, Harry." She added the last in a whisper as Harry's arms wrapped around her.

"Uh-hem" Dumbledore coughed; they instantly separated and looked at him guiltily. "They never followed the rules here either." He said as to the air, more laughs came from the staff. He looked at Ron and Luna once more. "Take the ring Neville is holding, and repeat after me Ronald." He paused, "Luna Melanie Lovegood, with this ring, I thee wed."

Taking the ring, Ron slid it on her waiting finger as he said clearly, if softly, "Luna Melanie Lovegood, with this ring, I thee wed."

She grinned as Dumbledore looked at her, "Ronald Bilius Weasley, with this ring I thee wed."

Luna's hands were steady as she took the ring Tonks was offering and slid it onto Ron's finger. A sudden rush of fire raced down their nerves, and their eyes flashed with a quick golden light before setting back to blue, though only the people on the stage with them saw it.

Dumbledore looked at Harry, who was hanging on his every word. Dumbledore smiled, and motioned to Sirius. Gray eyes danced as Sirius mimed digging in his pocket, until he stopped, raised one finger, and passed one hand over the other, a platinum and gold ring resting in his palm in its wake. "Harry take the ring that Sirius has been so kind to find for us and repeat after me...Hermione Jane Granger, with this ring, I thee wed."

"Funny Sirius," Harry muttered under his breath, the animagus just smiled. Harry took the ring and turned to back to Hermione. His eyes never left hers as he cradled her left hand with one hand, while the other slid the band onto her finger and nestled it up against her other ring. "Hermione Jane Granger, with this ring, I thee wed." She smiled almost shyly at him as he completed his line.

Dumbledore just waved silently at Hermione and motioned toward Harry. She bit her bottom lip nervously as she turned to her sister. Unlike Sirius, Ginny was serious. She extended her hand, palm upward towards Hermione. Hermione gave her a tiny nod as she plucked the ring from Ginny's hand and turned back to Harry. Her fingers felt warm as they danced on his to slide a matching band onto his finger. "Harry James Potter...with this ring, I thee wed." A sapphire flare of light danced in their eyes as a sudden, strong breeze swept through the rafters, sending the doves and owls perched there into flight.

Dumbledore bit back a grin as he ignored the accidental magic, at least they didn't set the stage on fire like I did...He chuckled to himself as the quartet looked to him, "In all of my years, there are few words I have ever enjoyed uttering as much as these...by the power vested in me as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot and as Headmaster of Hogwarts, I pronounce you husbands and wives..." He looked at Harry, "you may kiss the bride." Harry and Hermione were already moving towards each other at the "you." Her arms snaked around his neck, fingers twining in his hair as they leaned in. The rest of the room faded away for them again as their lips met hungrily.

Behind them, Luna jumped into Ron's arms. He dropped his lips to hers for a long moment, before breaking the kiss with a laugh and spinning her around and around.

"It is my greatest honor, and my deepest privilege to present to all of you, Harry and Hermione Potter and Ronald and Luna Weasley." Dumbledore was barely able to complete his words as a sudden, thundering ovation echoed in the hall, and hundreds rose to their feet.

***************************Great Hall, Hogwarts***************************

8:35 pm

A great echoing clatter died away as Harry finished kissing Hermione to the demands of the rather insistent tapping on wineglasses with a hundred spoons. The decorations for the Great Hall for the wedding had taken the Weasleys, Lovegoods and McGonagall several hours to erect. In fifteen seconds, after everyone had dutifully filled out of the hall for the reception Albus Dumbledore had reminded them, as if they needed it, just how great a wizard he truly was. He had walked to the door of the hall, the last person out, spun on his heel, snapped his long fingers, and the hall had instantly and totally reset itself into a vast banquet hall. Pews had morphed into already set, intimate round tables; a dance floor had cleared itself at one end, and at the far end, the stage where the teachers normally sat, had changed back into a long table. Dumbledore had moved his tall, throne like chair to the far end tonight however.

She grinned into his lips as she drew back. Looking out over the crowd, she motioned Harry's gaze towards the Weasley family table with a slight mental nudge. Just when did that happen? She asked laughingly as Harry saw a noticeably pregnant Fleur sitting on Bill's lap. Harry just shrugged as she dropped her head to his shoulder, with a concealed yawn.

Tired Mione? Harry whispered, and she knew him well enough to know he was the same. She nodded on his shoulder, and shrugged herself; they both knew they would be there for a while.

At the back of the room, Fred and George were standing together, whispering behind their hands. Back at the front of the room, Lupin and Sirius leaned together and Sirius surreptitiously pointed at them. "Well Moony, looks like the younger generation didn't listen to Bookworm." His eyes flicked sideways for the briefest of instants to Harry and Hermione cuddled together at the center of the long table next to Ron and Luna. They both watched as the twins intently watched the cake being wheeled into the room by Dobby and Winky. The elves weren't supposed to be working, but somehow the pair had convinced the other house elves to let them help. Harry and Hermione hadn't said a thing; it seemed to make them happy.

"Oooh no, they didn't." Lupin hissed back. "We never went that far." He reflected for a moment. "Ok maybe we did plenty of times but that was to Snape." He started to get up but stopped at a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"No wait." Sirius muttered. "Watch." At his words the pair watched as Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna stood and walked to the cake. They watched Hermione laugh at something Ron had leaned over and muttered to her. They witnessed as Harry picked up a large silver knife to cut the cake, but suddenly stiffen, almost imperceptivity. Only by dint of the Marauders relative closeness to the group could they notice the slight pause as Hermione gave Harry the tiniest of glances. And definitely no one, not at the head table would have seen the covert flick of her fingers at the cake. She grinned suddenly and kissed Harry on the cheek. The animagi and the werewolf watched as Harry carefully fed Hermione a slice of cake, with absolutely no untoward effect other than a small bit of frosting on her nose, which Harry gently wiped away. They both glanced towards the rear of the Hall, where the twins were rapidly heading towards their seats next to Angelina and Alicia, not quite hiding the disappointed expressions on their faces. Sirius chuckled softly and Lupin grinned.

"Well my friend it looks as if they've gotten through it." Sirus' words were thoughtful, and almost tinged with a touch of regret. He frowned slightly. "I can't help but feel they don't need me anymore." He confided in his friend.

Lupin laughed. "You sound so pitiful Padfoot...." He waved towards the twins and then at the Potters. "Remember, we talked about this and this just shows our new calling, we have to train the next generation...we can't have such pitiful performances attached to our sacred name." They both laughed at that. "Though Harry and Hermione did get Dumbledore last year."

"Yeah there was that."

They observed as the Brides and Grooms served the cake to the wedding guests. As they amusedly watched as the Weasleys came up as a group, and each took a slice, Molly taking the time to hug each, neither failed to notice the odd looks on the faces of the twins. The group sat down at their table, the twins oddly enough refusing to eat any of the cake until everyone else at the table, including their dates had already finished theirs. With a shared shrug, they bit in. POP. A pair of six foot, yellow chickens suddenly sat at the table, each spouting an odd series of disbelieving clucks from their beaks. In an instant, Colin Creevy appeared at the table and snapped a photo. Only to be in flight just as quickly as the chickens started chasing him down the length of the hall, to the escort of guffaws from the crowd.

A/N: Ok there it was, I hope it lived up to ya'lls expectations. I blame the timeframe on this chapter on Gred and Forge...its their fault. I fully expect that there is only one more chapter, a bit of wrap up, and oh yeah Ron finds out about Ginny. Then we will see about starting on HP and the War of Shadows.

Built by Text2Html