Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor

madscientist

Chapter 28: Valentine's Revelations.
*************************Hogwarts**************************
February 11, 2006

The weeks since Dumbledore had woke Harry and Hermione with unwelcome news had passed relatively quickly. Dumbledore had kept his promise of not informing McGonagall that their two head students were sleeping in the same bed, but Harry was privately convinced that Minerva already knew and either didn't care or as Harry suspected, was actively supporting it. That very night, Harry had sent Hedwig to the Weasley twins and they had agreed to close their new shop in Hogsmeade two hours early, based only on his request., a fact that made Harry slightly nervous in its implications. NEWTs were getting progressively closer, but unlike 5th year with his OWLs he was actively studying, so he was actually averaging an E or O in all of his classes. Of course living with Hermione instead of Ron probably helped a great deal in this regard, he admitted with no small touch of grace.

Aunt Petunia had pretty well kept to herself, Minerva was trying to get her trained to at least some sort of OWL standard, so she could at least function in wizard society as an adult. She was actually pretty decent, considering she hadn't touched a wand in almost twenty years. Dudley was another story however, he still had not expressed any magical abilities, and a couple of specialists from St. Mungo's had come in, looked him over, then left muttering something about a new publication.

Since Valentine's Day actually fell on a Tuesday, the staff at Hogwarts had decided to have the Valentine's Day Hogsmeade trip and the ball that evening on the weekend before. The six that went to the Ministry were waiting for the carriages to take them to Hogsmeade. In the distance, the snorts of the thestrals, objecting to being harnessed, echoed over the grounds.

"Can't we just walk or something, I hate those damn horses." Ginny said a little too loudly, to which a couple of 3rd year Hufflepuff girls walking by just gave her a look like she was insane.

"Now you know what its' like to have everyone think your insane Gin." Harry said with a grin, obviously referring to the reactions of the girls who had never and hopefully would never have to see the thestrals.

"I never thought you were insane, at least about that." Hermione put in with a smile, although she like everyone else here wished that she had never seen the ghostly horses either.

The carriages pulled up and the sextet grabbed a coach. The coaches were really meant for four instead of six, so Hermione and Luna sat on their respective boyfriend's laps so no one would have to sit on the floor. As they stepped out at Hogsmeade, "Anyway, everyone knows that you need to be at Fred and George's shop by two right?" Harry asked everyone.

"Yeah" came the slightly annoyed shout from everyone else except Hermione.

"Ok, We'll meet up at the Three Broomsticks then for lunch at one, then we will all go to Weasleys Whizzes, I believe that we all have some other stuff to do before." Harry told the group.

Harry received a general consent from the other two couples, however Ron just couldn't help a parting shot. "Um, Harry, Hermione, do you know if we need reservations at the Shrieking Shack?"

Harry glanced down, biting his lip, but Hermione replied sweetly, "Ronald dear, one word."

"What's that?"

"Cloakroom"

With that one word, Ron shut up and led Luna away; he always hated it when Hermione came out on top in a discussion, which she usually did. Ginny and Neville having already heard the story and having been there in the library with them when Dumbledore handed Ron his "misplaced" prefects badge, they just laughed and headed off. The sight the dissimilar pair represented was somewhat funny if one didn't notice how much they cared for each other. For unlike her brothers, Ginny was a small, or more accurately tiny, girl and easily fit under Neville's shoulder as they walked away.

"They're kind of cute together" Harry mused.

"Sure are," Hermione, agreed, "Where to?"

"Well I need a new set of seeker's gloves, my old set are coming apart. So I need to stop by the Quiddich supply shop, and I'm out of quills, Crookshanks keeps playing with them and hiding them from me, and I need owl treats for Hedwig. You?"

"My cat took all mine before he took yours, that's why I had to borrow one yesterday, so lets get a bunch, I guess I could get him a new toy so he would leave our quills alone, that's about it. And I guess I would like to go to the bookstore."

"I hadn't guessed that one. Ok let's go, it's getting cold."

After completing their shopping, it was slow because of occasional "snogging breaks"; Harry and Hermione showed up at the Two Broomsticks to find their friends already sitting down at their usual table in the back. The couple wound their way though the crowded bar to the table and sat down, picking up menus from the table in front of them. All six of them ordered, and settled down to eat as a bargirl brought their selections.

"Ok Harry," Ron began, his mouth full of food, "what are we going to Fred and George's place for, I mean we were going to go there anyway..." his mouth still full of food.

"Ron that's disgusting, you know that right? Luna are you really sure about him?" Harry asked with a quizzical expression.

To which Harry received a dreamy, "Oh yes." Luna gazed over a Ron, a slightly glassy look in her eyes.

Great, Ron and Luna are in fine form today "Ron you'll find out when we get there and speaking of which, we need to get going." Harry pulled some coins out of his pocket and laid them on the table, somehow he was paying again, though he vowed to himself someone else would next time, it was the principle of it more than the actual cost. "Let's go" and the six worked their way out of the tight quarters and out onto the street.

*****************Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, Hogsmeade***************

2pm.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Ginny and Neville arrived at the Weasley twins' shop in Hogsmeade. Their original shop in Diagon Alley had been a smashing success, after they were forced from Hogwarts. So much so that not only were they able to pay someone to run it for them while they were finishing up their NEWTS at Hogwarts the next year in a Umbridge-free School, but they were able to give handsome returns on the investments donated by their brothers and other benefactors. So much so that the ring that Luna was wearing was from the return on investment that Ron had given them, along with cash returns to Harry, and a couple of others including Hermione, though she had never admitted it to Harry.

"HEY HARRY." George cried out as the group came in. He finished with a couple of 3rd year Hufflepuffs that were in the store, and as they left, he flicked his wand at the window sign switching it from OPEN to CLOSED. The shop was much like the original in Diagon Alley, filled with displays of their trademark WhizBang fireworks and Weasley's Whizzes, Vanishing Hats, and various other contraptions, gadgets and connivances to play jokes, get out of class or just have fun. A large glass case held a selection of joke wands with a sign that read "NOW WITH RUBBER CHICKENS". On top of the case was their newest invention; A Wizard Chess set that attacked the people playing it instead of the other pieces. Harry saw it and made a mental note to see if they could make him up one that only attacked Ron, so at least the games would be fair.
"A' right you can come out now" George hollered into the back after which Charlie, Bill and Fred came out into the front.

"OI" yelled Ron, "what are you guys doing here?"

Before they could answer Harry interrupted, "One second Ron, Hermione."

Hermione raised her wand and incanted, "Imperviata" a white flash briefly lit the walls of the shop, she nodded to Harry and he went on.

"Ok guys, I'm sorry to interfere with your day but this is Order business." Harry said flatly and the slight chatter in the room died immediately. "What I'm going to tell you is not to be repeated or discussed with anyone other than those in the room right now and those I will mention okay?" To which, he got nods, so he went for it. "It seems that we have a traitor in the Order of the Phoenix." Harry received shocked looks and a couple of gasps at that announcement, but no Molly-like screaming, which he had been half afraid of.

"How did you find out, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Dumbledore had a meeting with the others I'll mention in a second and apparated into our room at three in the morning to let us know what he had found. He thought that it would be more secure for Mione and I to find a way to relate it to you. You four" He nodded to the older Weasley brothers, "were not on the original cleared list, however Dumbledore thought that you deserved to know."

Once again, no one really spoke, though Hermione could tell that Ginny's ears had picked up on Harry's slip of "our room" and she gave her a look to drop it, though she knew she'd have to answer later to her "sis". Harry continued, "Dumbledore went back and looked at everything that has occurred since August and some events before. In every case, I'm sorry to say they were an attack on me or those I consider my family." Harry said softly though he met their eyes evenly.

"Its okay mate, Voldemort was the one who declared the war on our family, you and Hermione included, not you." Said Ron determinedly, to which all the Weasleys nodded solemnly.

Hermione grabbed his hand and Harry turned and gave her a small smile and then went on." Thanks Ron, everyone that means more than I can say, by the way I was including you Neville," to which comment he just received a wave. "Anyway, besides those in this room, the only members that Dumbledore stated that he expressly trusted were himself, Remus, Tonks, Alastor, Minerva and your father, he didn't mention your mum, but I suspect that he trusts her as well. The common link is all of those mentioned have lost person or persons who were dear to them to Voldemort."

"What about the attack on the Dursleys." Ron blurted out.

Luna immediately elbowed him in the ribs sharply, "Ronald!" she hissed with a perturbed air.


Taking a deep breath Harry responded and squeezed Hermione's hand tightly, "It's okay Luna; we think the attack on the Dursleys was quite honestly a cock-up on Riddle's part. As I consider you all family, far more than the Durselys ever were. I'll let all of you know as much as Hermione and I know. From some of the second wave that we took alive, we found out that Lucius and Bellatrix's target was actually Aunt Petunia, and maybe Dudley. My blood protection against Voldemort, at least the protection granted by my..." Hermione dropped his hand and grabbed his waist in a hug. Thus reinforced he went on. "My mother came through her bloodline which meant that he couldn't attack me directly."

"But if she's living at Hogwarts now wouldn't the protection transfer?" Asked Ginny.

Hermione responded grimly, "Normally it would, however it seems that the protection is weakening anyway as Harry gets older. At one time not only Voldemort himself, but the Death Eaters as well would not have been able to attack the Dursleys house, but that obviously is not the case anymore. And for the protection to work to begin with, Petunia would have to consider Hogwarts her home, I doubt she ever will."

"It wasn't expected that the protection would last after I reached adulthood anyway, so it was not unexpected. As it is it looks as if Lucius and Bellatrix," An almost hungry look from Neville, "were there looking specifically for Petunia, who just happened to have not been there when they got there. According to our prisoners, their spy had told them that she was there right before Lucius and Bellatrix struck, so she lucked out by minutes. We think also that the deaths of the Dursleys may have been secondary, a means of drawing me and others out past the protections of Hogwarts...The stupid thing is the operation was almost a total failure from Riddle's perspective, all it got him was the loss of ten death eaters, either dead or in Azkaban vs. the death of one Muggle." Harry replied somewhat bitterly.

"Forgive me mate, but you are awfully cavalier about the death of your uncle." Neville said slightly nervously; he had seen Harry's temper.

"Neville, it's ok" Harry reassured him, "While I did not wish him dead, Hermione knows, and probably Ron also if he lets himself, the things that man did. Honestly if I hadn't had to have learned self control, I probably would have killed him in response to one of his actions."

That last comment was a bombshell for most of those in the room, for what it didn't say was as important as what it did. Hermione however, just looked grim, she knew all of his demons as well as he knew hers. The rest looked slightly angry, though they knew the account was settled now forever, even if it took an enemy to do it. "Ok now that I've depressed everyone quite enough, any questions, yes George?"

"Harry, mate, what are we to do with this?"

"Dumbledore did not give us any instructions beyond to notify you. However, I would feel it wise if you kept your own council or the council of those we know to be trustworthy until we catch this traitor. Honestly, I expect us to be involved in that, as Dumbledore doesn't have a great deal of choice in the matter."

"Ok Guys," Ginny said with a smile, though it was a little forced. "I think that we need to get back, we do have a ball to go to this evening."

*************Gryffindor Common Room**************************

8pm

Ron, Harry and Neville were waiting on their dates. The boys had already been ready for at least a half hour. Knowing their dates, they were carefully standing so as to not wrinkle their dress robes and were carefully not discussing the majority of today's revelations from Hogsmeade. However one topic did seem to be fair game, "So Harry...our room?" Ron asked with a grin.

"Ron, you do know that I can easily blast you though that wall and that my girlfriend probably knows more jinxes than anyone else in this castle including Dumbledore right?" Harry replied with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah mate, but when has that stopped me?" Ron replied mischievously.

Harry was saved a response by the arrival of Luna down from the Girls Dorm; she was wearing a red dress tonight that was close to the color of Ron's hair though a little darker. "What are you boys discussing? Flobberworms in the meal?" Luna replied, as she gave Ron a little kiss, as was often the case wandering off on a weird tangent.

Ron however, was used to this and he found it cute. "No dear, Harry and Hermione's living arrangements" He replied to Luna, who giggled while receiving a glare promicing a slow death from Harry. Further comment was short stalled by Ginny's arrival in a green dress that suited her well, judging by Neville's response.

"Where's Hermione?" Ginny asked.

Harry just shrugged, "Not down yet, you four go on ahead." The other four waved and left by the portrait.

They gone?

Yeah Hermione, what's wrong, you didn't turn yourself into a cat again did you? Harry shot back with a grin.

Funny Potter, No I just wanted you to see first.

With that Hermione descended the stairs from the Head's common room and Harry's heart leapt into his throat. Unlike the infamous Yule Ball dress this one was black, and held up with two thin straps. It was slit on one side almost up to her hip and came down low in the back. She had straightened her hair for this evening and wrapped it up in a knot, which somewhat incongruously, she had stuck his mothers wand though to hold. A few wisps escaped the knot, framing her face. The only visible jewelry she wore, were the earrings that he had gotten her for Christmas and the locket of the two of them that he had given her for her birthday.

"Adequate, Mr. Potter?" She asked with a smile.

"Adequate, Mrs.... Miss Granger"

"Little slip there Harry?" OHH my God, did he almost say what I thought he said, well hopefully someday if we all survive this.

"You look...amazing" Harry pulled her in and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead and offered her his arm, "Shall we go?"

"Lets"

************************Hogwarts, Great Hall************************

Harry and Hermione finally arrived at the ball to find it already going full blast. The hall was decorated tastefully for the holiday, without any of the inane gaudiness of the Lockhart Valentine's fiasco. The great tables had been removed, and replaced with small round tables at one end of the hall and a buffet along one wall leaving a generous area to dance. The ceiling of the hall was filled with stars and a bright full moon, though it was only a crescent outside. A mix of muggle and wizarding music blasted out, but due to the fact that so many famous Muggle musicians were actually wizards, it was hard to tell what was what.

Almost if on cue, as they walked into the hall a slow ballad came up, to which they had to dance. Hermione flowed into his arms like water, almost like she had had a thousand years practice. If it had been them watching anyone else, it would have been funny how both of them refused to look anywhere but each other's eyes.

Harry?

Yes?

What did you guys talk about while you were waiting? Sorry about that by the way.

Don't worry about it; the result was worth it To which Harry received a kiss. Umm, you probably don't want to know about it.

Let me guess about your slip up about "Our Room?" You have made a couple today. She replied with a blinding smile.

Yeah, I guess I did, though I'm sorry I gave Ron more fodder for the mill.

Don't worry Ron's under control. Honestly, I meant it when I said that McGonagall could kiss my arse, I need you.

Me too. Mione, I love you.

I love you too.

Their silent conversion lasted until the song was over, and then arm in arm, Harry and Hermione wandered over to a table where Ron and Luna were sitting.

"Nice dress, Hermione" Luna said then the two huddled together leaving Ron and Harry to talk and grab a bite to eat from the Buffet. Harry grabbed a plate, automatically filling it with food for him and Hermione.

"Ok Harry spill." Ron repeated once again with a full mouth, "when?" Ron eyes twinkled as he piled food on a plate.

Harry sighed; he had known this was coming. "After Christmas" He replied softly, expecting some teasing at least, if not some prank triggered by his words.

He was surprised however, "Good, about time." Ron responded with a grin and popped a couple of strawberries in his mouth.

"Thanks, I'm...I was expecting a little more harassment, not that I'm not grateful..." Harry replied to his friend, a touch of gratitude in his voice as well as his words.

"Its not like I didn't have first hand knowledge that you two were um...anyway I know if Luna and I had adjoining rooms I be with her every night in a heartbeat. Plus I could get away from your cousin." Ron finished with a laugh.

The rest of the ball passed quickly, possibly too much so, for once unmarked by any duels, fights, insults on ones parentage, or other minor annoyances. Of course this could have been due to the fact that Harry had given Malfoy the prefect's duty for the night, making him have to work this evening.


Built by Text2Html