Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Lions of Gryffindor

madscientist

We're not their yet...Rowling still owns everything, mostly
Chapter 47: On the Cusp.

*******************************Hogwarts*********************************

June 16, 2006 (one day until the graduation/wedding)

Once again, loosing her fiancée, Hermione searched the grounds. However unlike the night that they had bonded in fire and blood, Harry wasn't hiding from her at all. Indeed, even all the way on the other side of the castle grounds, she could feel his presence, almost like a magical bonfire in her mind. Running, she came up behind him, a biting comment on her lips about having to chase him down again, but the words died unspoken as she rounded the trunk of their beech tree. Harry was sitting under its sheltering branches, his eyes cast over the placid waters of the loch. He didn't look up at her as she approached, but acknowledged her presence all the same.

"What do you do, Hmmm...I don't know if I'm ready for this, not really. The last person I loved with all my heart was ripped away in a flash of green." Harry said in a whisper as he skipped a flat stone across the placid surface of the lake. Hermione frowned and dropped down next to him, sighing.

"I'm not going anywhere Harry." She objected, dropping her head to his shoulder.

"No," Harry agreed, he groaned and flicked another rock at the lake, "not if you can help it, no. But can you always help it?" Flicking his fingers, a dozen pebbles shot up from the ground and skipped off the surface. "We are two of the most powerful wizards left, but we're not invincible Mione." His fingers absently played with a lock of her hair, as he watched the squid grab at several ripples in the shallows. Overhead, clouds were passing over the sun, causing vast shadows to cross over them.

"No one is Harry." Hermione replied as she watched Hedwig fly over the lake. Hedwig swirled on a thermal and dove at something out of sight. "We don't know what will happen tomorrow, no one does."

"Trelwaney sure as fuck did." Harry snarled, and sighed. "Sorry." His one word apology was more than enough. Turning her head, she kissed him on the cheek before settling back down. Out past the pair, sitting under a beech tree with at least two generations of Potter initials, the life of the school went on. Out on the lawn, legions of house elves were hovering chairs out to the Quiddich Pitch, since Dumbledore was determined to have a graduation, they were having it outdoors, the Great Hall was still considered unfit for occupation. Over a ways further, the reconstruction efforts continued on Ravenclaw tower. Just yesterday, a Ministry flunky had complained to Dumbledore that it wasn't "seemly" for the parents who would be attending the ceremony to see the wreckage and that they should just a spell to hide it.

The fury in his eyes was intense, as Dumbledore had replied in a voice of ice, that there was no power on Earth that would make him hide that reminder of the students who had so valiantly fought and died, and those poor souls that were caught in the crossfire. Dobby managed to bang the junior assistant to the Undersecretary of Magical Education's head on only about half of the stairs between Dumbledore's office and the main gates as he was "escorting" the visitor out. Harry shook his head at the memory. "Look at me Hermione, I managed to lead them to loose almost half...almost half the students that fought in the corridor died...and that's not to mention what happened in the towers." Harry raised his fingers to flick additional stones, but with that flick, they exploded. "See I can't even control my bloody powers." Harry snapped, his thoughts dark.

"So?" Hermione asked, "Do you think I care?" Without lifting her head from his shoulder, she grabbed the fingers that had just inadvertently shattered the stones and intertwined them with her own. Holding their joined hands up to his face, "It's for better or worse Harry, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If we die tomorrow, if the bloody ground opens up and swallows us whole, it won't matter because we're together damn it, now." She grinned, "Get a grip Potter."

"Yes dear." Harry replied sarcastically as she squeezed his hand. With a grunt, he stood and pulled her to her feet, "Let's walk, Hermione." Harry suggested and after getting a nod in agreement they started off. Still holding her hand, they headed down the path that the two of them had taken, so many months ago, when Hermione had finally started training with Harry. Eventually after they had walked in silence for a while, "its just that...you want kids..." Hermione nodded, slowly, "how can I protect you, protect our family from the Death Eaters, the Vampires, the Dementors...hell probably some bloody big arse bears at this rate."

"You don't Harry." Hermione dropped his hand and turned, putting her hands on either side of his face. She leaned in until their foreheads touched, "we protect each other...and God and Merlin have mercy on anyone who goes after our family...'cause we won't." Harry nodded as he hugged her tightly. A sudden idea flashed in his eyes, and with a laugh, he tumbled the pair of them to the ground.

"HARRY!" Hermione snapped; then shut up abruptly as he silenced any further objections with a quick kiss. "Damn it, Harry, these were clean." Hermione grumbled half-heartedly as she sat up and brushed dust from her shorts. Looking up, her heart jumped as she noticed his eyes twinkling knowingly.

"Well then," Harry replied in a whisper, "we'll just have to take them off now...won't we? Aye...Mrs. Potter?" His fingers brushed the strap of her tank top from her shoulder, as his eyes never left hers. He watched as her brown eyes darkened and the corner of her lip came up in a knowing, half-smile. Almost imperceptivity, she nodded.

"Yeah, I guess we will, Mr. Potter." Hermione replied softly as she reached up and brushed the other strap down as well. Harry grinned as his fingers traced under the waistband of her shorts. Slowly, torturously, Harry peeled her top off, watching transfixedly as the passage of his fingers caused her to shiver. He grinned rakishly as his eyes confirmed his suspicion that she hadn't worn a bra. His eyes flashed, and with a muttered spell, the ground beneath them became soft, courtesy of a cushioning charm.

"You know Mione, I like skirts." Harry mentioned absently as her fingers were playing with the fly of his jeans, and in another instant, they were on the way south. He shivered as a cool breeze erupted over the lake, and Hermione giggled softly.

"And why would that...uhhh...be?" She gasped as his fingers crept down the front of those selfsame, now dirty shorts.

"Easy access." Harry replied softly as Hermione began to emit a soft, purring sound.

Her eyes grinned as she looked up through the veil of her lashes, "Well you could wear a kilt to make it...uhhh...even. Ummmm...this is Scot...land after all." Hermione was a having a decidedly difficult time completing thoughts right now. She bit her lip as Harry kissed down the front of her neck and followed the hollow downward. She bit off a soft moan as he ran his fingers lightly following his lips.

""ERMIONE..."ARRY" a thunderous, slightly hoarse voice rang out among the trees.

"Damnit" Harry hissed as Hermione broke down in giggles. "Screw this," with a flicker of blue, Hermione felt the sensation of an egg breaking over her head, and a sudden coolness flowing down her unclothed back. Quickly, Harry kicked her top under a convenient bush. Lying on top of her, they blended almost seamlessly into the soft grass, only the faintest of outlines betraying their presence.

They watched as Hagrid stomped into the clearing, clearly looking about for them. He shrugged, a giant shrug, "oh, I guess that I'll have to tell Molly I couldn't find her." Hagrid walked off, a slightly disappointed look on his face. "FANG, HERE BOY!"

A whispered "finite" and the pair faded back into view. With a smirk, Hermione glanced up at him, "how can I ever thank you, dear sir from saving me from the attentions of Molly Weasley?"

"Ohh I think you can come up with something..." Harry replied softly, his tongue running over his lips absently. She bit her lip and dropped her face to his chest. Softly kissing downward, Harry felt a trail of fire follow her lips until, with a gasp on his part; he felt sudden warmth of a different kind.

Glancing down, a head of chestnut curls was slowly moving in his lap, "OHH.... yeah...that...works..." Harry managed as Hermione ran her hands up along his flanks and along his chest.

"Hmmm?" She responded, not moving from her task. Harry shuddered in response, and she glanced up at him with amber eyes gone dark. The eyes grinned as she noticed his, were suddenly a dark forest green, with a quick breath; Hermione hummed a little tune. A fire slowly built; then with a sudden rush, he bucked up into her.

Slightly panting, Harry whispered, "You are a little minx, aren't you?" Hermione didn't respond, other than licking her lips slowly. He groaned in response, "get up here." Hermione slithered up him, and kissed him gently, he moaned once more, as he tasted himself on her lips. Next to her bum, a sudden hardening of resolve made its presence known once more.

"Already..." Hermione asked, her voice at least an octave lower than usual. She lowered her lips to his once again and their tongues danced once more. Looking directly into his eyes, she muttered a charm under her breath and joined herself with his lips once more. She gasped against his lips as she lowered herself to him. Taking both his hands in hers, she raised their joined hands above their heads and began to move. Blue light danced in their eyes and with a thought, they shared...everything.

"Hermione..." Harry moaned as she rotated her hips. His heart was thumping against his chest as she leaned in, and he could feel her pulse pounding as well.

"Hmmmm?" Brown eyes glanced up at him, and she bent her lips to his neck and nuzzled. Her hair fell forward, hiding her face from the side, as she moved. Wet bangs were plastered to her forehead, partially covering one eye.

"I love you." Harry whispered.

"You too Harry," she whispered in his ear and with a sudden urge, sped up. Moving quickly now, she whispered his name, over and over. A mantra they had shared many, times before. Warmth flooded her, building in her core, migrating out to her fingers and toes. With a final gasp, she shuddered, gasping, shaking, inner walls clenching. A moment later, Harry followed her over the edge; suddenly flooding her with a new, welcome warmth.

With a soft sound, she fell on his chest and lay there panting. Sweat glistened on her back and his chest, the sun trickling through the trees lighting them in a soft halo. As her eyes regained the ability to focus, with a tired, sated smile, she kissed him lazily and rolled them on their sides.

For a long moment they laid on the ground together, not speaking other than with their eyes. Harry frowned slightly as he ran a finger down a faint, slightly jagged scar that ran between her breasts, a souvenir of their mutual stupidity fifth year. "I'm sorry Mione." Harry said quietly, looking up at her.

"Me too." One corner of her lip twitched upward for a moment; leaning forward she kissed his shoulder and snuggled closer. "We should probably get up, Harry." She giggled softly, "we are naked in the middle of the day, where anyone coming along could find us.

"I can ward the area." He objected softly, even as he absently raised a hand, summoning their clothes to them. In another minute or two, they were more or less dressed, Hermione had yet to put her shoes back on, but otherwise they were good. Grabbing her hand, they rose and headed back down the path to their tree and eventually the castle. "Why did you come looking for me anyway, Mione...couldn't bear to be apart from my charms?" Harry teased softly.

Hermione rolled her eyes, Yeah right Potter...

Careful there Granger...in about twenty-four hours, you'll be one too. Harry retorted in their thoughts, a twinkle in his eye.

What if I don't take your last name? She shot back, but as a ghost of that old damnable insecurity passed his eyes, she relented. Harry it's my fondest dream to be called Hermione Potter...you know that, buck up there. Harry shrugged, and her heart skipped, as he pulled her into his arms again and rested his cheek on hers, what's brought this on, Love?

It's just that...I umm, it keeps wanting to all crash down you know? I'm just so afraid that I'll wake up in Privet drive with Vernon standing over me, and this will all have been a dream. He sighed without letting go of her, ever since I killed Voldie...you are all that keeps me grounded...sane...

Me too, Harry, we'll be fine. She replied comfortingly, actually I wanted to get away from Molly, she was driving me batty...honestly; I don't give a damn about the seating arrangements. I just glad we are alive to have the thing.

Are you sure Hermione...If you want we can put this off for a bit, I mean I can afford to give you the wedding of your dreams, we don't have to turn around and do it in a week? Harry asked watching her eyes as he pulled back a bit.

You are going to be there Harry, that's all I really need, or want. The rest is just window dressing that's there to make our family and friends happy.

Damn, I'm an idiot. He thought suddenly, she raised an inquisitive eyebrow as several squirrels ran along the path in front of them chattering to each other in rodentia, and a deer crossed the trail behind them. There were times in the last year, I almost grabbed your hand and drug you up to Dumbledore's office and had him marry us right then...I should have Hermione.

A hand with a three jeweled ring rose and cupped his cheek softly, It doesn't matter Harry, when you come down to it, I was already your wife in my heart that night you almost asked me, your birthday remember? He nodded and kissed her tenderly in lieu of words. Anyway, Harry I got our wedding bands; I wanted to give them to you to give to Sirius to hold. With a soft smile and Harry's utter attention, she dug in the cargo pocket of her still dusty khaki shorts and held out a black velvet box. Prying it open, she revealed a pair of subtly worked platinum and gold bands sitting ready to see the light of day. I added the runes and enchantments, She grinned at him, each of the rings has a wand core, just in case. He laughed.

What would I do with out you?

Hermione shrugged, reached up and kissed his nose, Probably have failed out and became a vagrant in Diagon Alley. She leaned back against him; I wish I could stay with you tonight...I don't get it.

I don't either, but its probably easier than hearing about it from Molly, I mean I will see you tomorrow at Graduation, before the wedding anyway. Taking her hand, they started back towards the castle and their fates. At the top of the stairs as they reached the main doors to the keep, Sirius was leaning negligently on the great doorjamb. Of the pair of armor suits next to the door, one had its helmet focused on Sirius as if it had never been told that he was no longer persona non grata at the castle after the events of third year.

"Ok Harry, say goodbye, you are coming back with me to Grimmauld place." Sirius' eyes were alight as he announced their short separation. He came up and tossed an arm around Harry's shoulders, his gray eyes laughing uproariously, "we are going to have so much fun."

"Padfoot?" Hermione said softly.

"Yes my dear?" Sirius replied grinningly.

"I am holding you personably responsible for Harry to show up on time." Hermione looked directly at him and he nodded, his face growing, serious.

"You know I'll get him there lass." Sirius replied seriously.

"I know." Hermione whispered as she rose on her toes and kissed Sirius on the cheek. Her lip in her bottom teeth, she walked backwards into the castle, waving to Harry until she was out of sight. Above them, the clock tower struck the four o'clock hour and Sirius turned to Harry.

A small smirk decorated Sirius' lips as he watched Harry watch Hermione vanish into the castle. He dropped it instantly as Harry turned back to him, "Let's go Harry, I have some things that I need to discuss with you." He held out a small box, Harry touched it with a finger and in a fall of color and a rush of sound, they were in the parlor at Grimmauld Place.

**********************12 Grimmauld Place, London**************************

"Welcome home, Harry" Lupin shouted as he came in the room, accompanied by Tonks. Lupin had his arm around the younger witch, and with a hidden smile, Harry noted an odd ring with a large center stone that changed colors randomly on Tonks' left hand. He'd have to tell Hermione.

Tonks waved to Harry. With a quick kiss for Lupin, and a shouted, "bye" she vanished with a muffled CRACK.

Almost immediately, Dobby appeared, "Harry Potter sir, Dobby is glad to sees you sir, is there anything Dobby can get for youse sir." Harry smiled and knelt next to the house elf.

"I'm fine Dobby, I can conjure something if I need it." Dobby frowned but did not argue. With a sudden realization Harry remembered something. "Dobby are you coming to the wedding tomorrow, you and Winky were invited..."

"Yes sir, Dobby would be honored to work at his Harry Potters, sirs, wedding sir. Winky toos sir." Dobby looked happy, as he bounded on the balls of his numerously sock-covered feet. Today it looked as if he had four of various colors on the left with five, equally mismatched ones on the right.

Harry chuckled, "no Dobby, I mean as a guest." He reached out and placed a hand on the tiny elf's shoulder, "You are our friend Dobby, Hermione and I would really like you to be there." A sob erupted from the elf's throat as he jumped forward and hugged him around the legs.

"Harry Potter sir is a truly a great wizard sir and his misses is a truly great witch sir...Dobby sir...Dobby sir has never been invited to a wedding, sir." Dobby's muffled voice came from below. Peeling him off, Dobby smiled as he wiped a tear from a tennis ball sized emerald eye. "We will be there sir." With another strangled sob, he vanished with a POP.

"That went well," Harry remarked and laughter erupted from Sirius and Lupin. "Where's Ron?" Harry asked suddenly, not seeing his ginger haired friend hanging about. He crossed to an empty seat on the couch and sat, running his fingers absently through his hair as he asked.

"Oh, he'll be by in a bit, the twins are doing something or other with him." Sirius said gaily, as he motioned with a bottle of butterbeer that he had conjured in the meantime. Harry nodded, a bit hesitantly for his friend, and motioned for a bottle. Sirius tossed him one and laughed. He took a drink, and glanced down for a bit. His gaze flicked over to Lupin and back to Harry, "Oh, Harry?"

"Yeah?" Harry replied as he took a drink of his beer. He did not notice Sirius flaring his nostrils, or Lupin doing the same a moment later, a grin blossoming on his mug.

"Did you and Hermione enjoy the afternoon?" In an instant, the old Marauders broke up laughing, Lupin holding onto the edge of the doorway for support, as Sirius chortled and Harry glared.

*******************Gryffindor Tower, Head's Common Room****************

Back in the tower, Hermione dropped into her common room couch next to Luna, and scowled. Luna was curled up on the end of the couch, asleep, she had had a long night the night before; her powers had briefly flared up. Hermione looked across at the others in the room with an expression of annoyance. The other girls were chatting excitedly to each other, but even though this was the eve of her "happiest day" she did not feel the excitement that the others felt. Oh it was not to say that she didn't feel the excitement, for she did, but it didn't seem the same as what everyone else seemed to be feeling. There was one other who didn't seem to be enjoying the festivities, Crookshanks hopped up on her lap and purred, looking over a touch annoyedly at the females invading his happy retreat.

"It's alright, Crook." Hermione whispered to him, " We'll be away from here soon enough." Crookshanks looked up at her, with an expression that clearly expressed he didn't quite believe her. As he looked up, the door to the stairs opened, and with a small sound that sounded remarkably like a cat sized sigh Crookshanks got up and sauntered into Harry's room. Molly Weasley had just entered, trailed by at least ten floating dresses and a smiling Madame Malkin.

"There you are dear." Molly cried as she saw Hermione sitting there, "Madame Malkin just floo'ed in with the dresses. She crossed the room to Hermione and with, a humph, "Well come on, you need to try them on." Behind Molly, Ginny was standing, laughing. Wordlessly, Hermione ran the thumb of her left hand over her engagement ring, so as Ginny would see it. She shut up instantly and walked away, she still hadn't told Molly about her and Neville.

"Now, Miss Granger." Madame Malkin began, "I think that you will love this one..." Hermione's heart leapt, her eyes grew wide, as Madam Malkin flicked a wand, and without further ado, the dress that Hermione had seen herself in since she was eight appeared, floating and dancing above the floor. She nodded mutely, as a chorus of "Ohhs" rang out from the rest of the girls.

****************************Grimmauld Place*****************************

"Harry." Sirius said suddenly, looking up from the paper he was reading. Harry and Ron were playing yet another game of wizarding chess. As usual Ron was winning handily despite spotting Harry half of his pawns before the game started. Ron shrugged, looked down, moved one piece, got up and left to the kitchen to get a snack. He had checkmated Harry. Harry watched as a tiny sword flicked sideways and the miniscule head of his king tumbled away, victim to the stroke of Ron's knight.

"Bugger." Harry muttered and looked over at his godfather. "Yeah Sirius?"

"Can you spare a moment?" Sirius inquired, getting up from the couch. He crossed to the door and waited.

"Yeah, sure Sirius." Harry replied as he got up and followed the older wizard. Without explanation, Sirius led the pair of them, out the door of the parlor, and up the stairs to his room. With a small wave, Sirius ushered Harry into the room, and with a discrete flick of a wand and a murmured incantation, the door locked and sealed itself. Harry looked at him questioningly.

Sirius turned and went to his bed and sat. He looked up at Harry, and smiled. "So Harry are you ready for this?" He shrugged, "I mean, I was the best man for James as well and he was a nervous wreck." Sirius' gray eyes tracked up and down Harry, "you just seem so collected."

Harry shrugged, "Mostly practice at hiding it, I guess. I mean I was feeling it earlier this afternoon, but Mione, um, talked me out of it." Harry didn't notice the mirth in Sirius' eyes as he covered his mouth. Harry's fingers mussed his hair further as he considered the question. "Its just that...I mean, it's like" Harry trailed off, thinking. After a moment or two he sighed and sat down in a chair next to the bed. Looking blankly across the room, staring at the wall, as if he could see through it, "its like, well I know that mum and dad didn't see eye to eye until almost their sixth, seventh year..."

"You could bloody well say that again," Sirius muttered thoughtfully.

"With Hermione, I've known her almost as long as I've known I was a wizard. Almost as long as I've known Hagrid or Ron." Harry replied, still not looking at Sirius. "Somewhere inside, I've always known it was her. Oh I'm not saying that I knew I was going to marry her in first year, like Dumbledore claims he knew. Hell for the last couple of years, I didn't even really think I was going to survive, not at least until near the end. We even had pledged to go down together." Sirius nodded grimly in the background at his words, though they weren't really a revelation. Deep down he knew that one of the reasons that the magic binding him to Harry had returned him to this plane of existence was to keep that result from happening. "It's just that in those few times, between the battles and ambushes, and deaths that I dared to let myself look forward, to think I could and would survive, she was there. So basically Sirius I've had seven years to get used to the idea in one from or another." Harry's eyes flicked over to his godfather, their emerald color lit with sudden amusement, "of course the fact I've lived with her for the last six months in the same room, and the months before that in the same suite didn't hurt."

Sirius barked a laugh, "good." He smiled and stood, and walked over to where a large, battered trunk sat against the wall. The trunk looked as if it had been pulled behind a thestral for a few hundred miles. The faded red and gold colors could just barely be discerned, and the embossed lion was almost worn away. Harry knew instantly that this was probably Sirius' own trunk. Sirius opened it and took out a pair of parcels from within. Opening the first, an old worn, leather bound notebook inscribed with the name Lily Anne Evans in gold leaf was revealed. The book looked like it had rode in too many book satchels, much like what many of Hermione's favorite books looked like, come to think of it.

He handed the book to Harry. "Here Harry, you and Hermione should have this." Harry opened the notebook, and started paging through it. By virtue of his studies to learn to face Voldemort, he recognized complicated charms and transfiguration formulas, along with other Arithmatic formulas and rune sentences that Hermione would have to translate. Harry looked up at him, "You know that Lily was good at Charms right?" Harry nodded, "Those are Lily's private notes, among other things, she was looking at a way to increase the power, or the focus of a patronus, so it could actually destroy the Dementors instead of just driving them away." Harry's eyes grew wide as he looked over the notes, interested instantly. "There are other things she was working on, umm the spell that she used to save you is in there. Though I don't think she realized how it would turn out." Sirius muttered nervously, but Harry didn't mind.

"How did you come to have this?" Harry replied wonderingly.

Sirius groaned softly, "Lily let me have it, right before they went into hiding. I was supposed to destroy it, if it looked like I could be captured." He looked down at the floor, "I was supposed to take it to Dumbledore, that next day, but it just never happened. I left it in my old trunk that somehow ended up back in storage at Hogwarts; don't ask me how." Sirius turned back to the other parcel and opened it.

A glint of gold greeted them, as a very old snitch sat, not moving. Harry looked inquisitively at the snitch, "Sirius I have several of those, even one from Hermione."

"It's not a snitch, or rather it is, though it doesn't work any more. It's your Dad's; it's charmed as a portkey, to some Potter retreat somewhere. In case you ever really need to escape something, it will activate, taking you to a place that is guaranteed to be safe. He never told me where, or why they didn't use it." Sirius said, regretfully.

Harry rose, crossed to his godfather and hugged him. "Thanks Sirius, I appreciate it."

********Harry/Hermione's bedroom Grimmauld/ Head's room Hogwarts************

June 17
1:05 am.

Harry, are you asleep? A thought crossed the hundreds of miles between London and Hogwarts. Harry was sitting up in bed, looking at some notes on the words he would have to say at the Graduation, tomorrow or rather today. Hermione was sitting up, in their room at Hogwarts, a notebook propped against her legs.

No, Mione, Harry replied as he stood, looking out the window of their Grimmauld place bedroom. He walked over the window and started petting Hedwig, who had just returned from an evening out and was sitting on her golden perch in front of the window. You can't sleep either?

I'm writing my speech for tomorrow, for the Graduation...remember? Hermione asked pointedly. She sighed and jotted down something about overcoming adversity. Crookshanks purred as he rubbed against her, she petted him to shut him up. Do you have yours written? She shot back as her quill filled in more lines about sacrifice and hope.

Yeah, I have something. Harry replied. In his room, a shaft of moonlight fell across his face. You know I have to actually concentrate to talk to you, this far away.

It's good for you. Hermione thought, the smirk on her lips as she looked out at the same moon was detectable in London. Harry, are you nervous about tomorrow? Her fingers twirled absently in her curls as she looked at what she had written. And why is it that some wizard decided in the twelfth century that we had to spend the night before the wedding apart, anyway?

He couldn't get away with the Cruciatus? Harry wondered. Hermione replied with a soft chuckle in his thoughts to the response. I can be there in about ten seconds if you want me. The double meaning in that thought; didn't pass either of them by. She laughed out loud in her room, so loud that a sudden, soft knock was heard at her door.

"Hermione are you alright?" Ginny asked from the Head's common room, she was staying in Hermione's room for the night, as it was open, and the surviving, graduating Ravenclaws were taking up extra space in the tower. "Harry's not in there is he?" She laughed.

"No he's not Ginerva...go to bed." Hermione yelled. She heard Ginny's giggling laugh as she retreated back to Hermione's room.

She gone?

Yeah, she is...I swear to Merlin, I'm going to work from now until her wedding to THINK of things to harass her with. She's lucky I love her arse too much to let her secret out to Molly. Why is she my maid of honor again? Hermione asked, only slightly rhetorically.

Um...because, she's your adoptive sister, and she's the best female friend you have at Hogwarts, and because Tonks would probably change her hair color to match the bride's maid dresses, and that would be just weird. Hermione laughed again, this time careful to hold her hand over her mouth to dampen the sound. Hermione...

Yeah, Harry.

I love you.

Me, too Harry, see you in the morning. Hermione felt a murmured agreement in her thoughts and felt him relaxing in her link. She smiled again, and set her papers aside as well, floating them towards her desk with a casual motion of her hand. Beside her, Crookshanks purred as he moved up the bed to Harry's pillow and settled in, "Thanks, Crooks, but its not the same" Hermione muttered to her familiar, who just stretched out a paw and patted her hair as she lay down next to him.

Just as her eyes closed, a soft knock echoed at the door. "Bloody hell," Hermione groaned. "What, Ginny, Harry's still in London damn it." She threw a pillow at the door, "get over it."

The door opened slowly, and a flame-colored mop of hair eased into the room. "Can we talk...sis?" Ginny asked slowly, and something in her eyes told Hermione that this wasn't about Harry's sleeping arrangements for this evening. Hermione sat up and motioned towards a chair, as she scooted up against the headboard of the bed. Crookshanks, disturbed at the late night goings on, flowed into her lap, and looked up at her demandingly. Ginny cracked a half-arsed smile; "you treat him like your kid, Hermione."

"He's a familiar Ginny...he is, more or less." Hermione replied absently as she looked over at her friend. Ginny did not meet her eyes, but looked down and away from her. Hermione sighed. "Ginny, I'm not going to use Legilimency on you." Ginny did not speak, she nodded as she looked at her hands; they were twisting in her lap. Hermione got up and went over to Ginny; she knelled in front of her and rested her hand on Ginnys'. "What's wrong Gin?" She whispered as she used her other hand to get Ginny to look her in the eye.

With a small whimper, Ginny flung her arms around Hermione, and started sobbing into her shoulder. The tiny witch shook for several minutes, before she pushed Hermione away and sat up, she started to rise.

"What's wrong Ginny?" Hermione repeated, reaching out and grabbing her arm.

"No Hermione, I can't you're getting married, you don't need my problems on your mind." Ginny said, her tone tired.

Hermione shook her head, "Ginny, you said that we were family long before I was formally adopted into the family. We help each other, no matter what." She reminded Ginny, of her own words, seemingly so long ago.

"If I tell you something," Ginny began softly, "will you not tell anyone?"

"It depends, Ginny are you planning on taking over the world? Hermione gave her a small smile. Despite herself, Ginny giggled.

"Not today anyway. Sis I meant it, can you keep a secret, from everyone? Even mum? And Ron?"

Hermione looked away for a bit, and then nodded, "Ok Ginny, if that's what you want...all except Harry." Ginny started to shake her head and leave again, "I can't keep it from him, Ginny, but he won't say anything if you don't want him too, I promise." Even as Hermione was speaking, an utterly familiar presence woke in the back of her mind, in response to the distress Harry felt in her thoughts. I'm ok Harry, I'll explain later. She shot across the ether, and felt him nod in response, dropping off again.

Ginny sighed, and looked around the room. "Really you can't tell mum, not yet...I mean Neville doesn't know, yet, but I and, and I'm afraid and I..." Ginny broke off her rambling, "I don't know what I'm going to do Hermione." Her face fell to her hands as tears once more fell.

Hermione wasn't known as the brightest witch of the age for nothing. Ginny had already given her enough clues to determine the issue. "Since when Ginny?" She said softly.

"Not long, according to Poppy."

Hermione looked at her sister, "When are you going to tell Neville?"

"Soon, I guess. I just wanted someone to know. I've seen how secrets eat you up, I will tell mum, someday. I'm afraid of what Neville will say, will he be mad at me?" She gulped, "will he leave me?"

Hermione gathered her into her arms again, she chuckled softly, "Ginny, honey I'm not dating Neville and even I know better than that...if anything, he'll want to speed up the wedding, you know that. He could never be angry with you, not over this. I believe the boy is smart enough to realize that it takes two to tango." Hermione sighed, "on the other hand, Ron and Molly, might be a bit of an issue."

"You'll help me right?" Ginny asked plaintively.

"Yeah Ginny I will, and Harry will, but you will have to tell them, you can't exactly hide it forever." Hermione replied sensibly, "and what about school, the baby will be due in what?" She paused a second to do the math in her head, "February, March?" Ginny nodded.

"I already talked to Poppy, though I guess it will depend on Neville. If he takes the job replacing Sprout, at least for the younger students, I could live with him, providing the school Governors allow it."

Hermione gave a grim smile, "oh, I think that Dumbledore would be more than willing to fight for him...In fact I can almost guarantee that they will be desperate to do as he asks. They do not want the excesses of Lucius and his other cronies that were on the board to come to light." She kissed Ginny's hair as she shook in her arms, "it will be alright Ginny."

A/N: There your go, we're on the cusp. I was going to make ya'll wait since I just put up 46 and I still don't have 49 even started...I like to keep a couple of chapters ahead, but hey...

Built by Text2Html