Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Introduction

This is the fourth of five linked stories set during Harry's Sixth Year. References are made to new characters and events that occur in previous stories. Few, if any, recaps are included but a summary of the previous parts is given in the Prologue.

The five consecutive parts of "The Apprentice Piece" are entitled: The Apprentice Piece, The Crucible, The Dragon, The Sword of Light and The Accord. A Summary for the remaining parts is given at the end of the last chapter. A brief prologue for the preceding parts is given at the beginning of each part.

Prologue

Part One: The Apprentice Piece

Harry is in possession of a wand which he calls his Apprentice Piece which he made during the holidays. Mystery surrounds the wand and where the wood for it came from.

Harry is asked to set up Quidditch practice for non-team players. He readily agrees and the Rebels are formed with non-house teams. Ron does not approve. Harry is made captain of the Quidditch team, much to Ron's obvious disappointment. Harry appoints Ginny their new play maker. Ron plays terribly until their first game, which they win convincingly.

The new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher and ex-Auror, Harbinger, has been giving Harry additional training in an Auror Tent. The tent is known to have killed before and everyone that knows about it wants it destroyed. Moody helped set it up.

Harbinger is in possession of letters from Harry's mother and has promised them to Harry, believing they contain hidden messages for Harry. Harbinger's tragic secret is revealed.

In the few short weeks since the start of term, Ron has lost his Prefect badge and been thrown off the Quidditch team. To the surprise of many, Harry has forgiven Ron and expects him to work to regain his prefect badge.

Harry was introduced to an Unspeakable named Fides who, known only to her mother and father, helped Harry save Hermione's life. Fides allowed Harry to face a challenge to obtain an elixir to cure Hermione. Fides later admits to a deception but Harry has seen and used part of his potential as well as a much darker side of himself.

Harry learns that Dumbledore argued with the Unspeakables when he was an infant but that someone else won the day allowing him to grow up.

Hermione is asked to improve the tent's simulated attacks. She does this with extraordinary effectiveness. Harry is livid. Unknowingly, Hermione broke Moody's rules concerning the tent which caused him to believe it was real. Hermione believed Harry had feelings for Ginny and placed an image of her in the simulation. The tent needed to be repaired after Harry had finished.

The Regiment has set up a refugee camp within the Hogwarts grounds. Dumbledore insists that the traditional challenge between the Regiment and Hogwarts must proceed and will be lead by Peeves. The night of the challenge, which is a glorified food fight, is Halloween. The same evening dance is arranged for the senior years. Hermione finally tells Harry that Halloween is not a traditional wizarding celebration.

Part Two: The Crucible

Beginning just after Halloween during Harry's Sixth Year. Fudge is trying to get his hands on Sirius' estate. Hermione is shocked when Dumbledore allows Harry to enter the Auror tent at its highest skill level before the tent is destroyed. In the tent, Harry faces the Unforgivable Curses again but finally realises he won't be able to use them.

Harry and Hermione show an elderly visitor around the school, and are quizzed by her endlessly. Dumbledore is not surprised to find them duelling when he invites them to lunch. Clearly very good friends with most of the senior staff, Perenelle jokes that she may be inspecting some lessons later. Harry is shocked when Perenelle tries to attack him in front of Dumbledore. He then discovers she also attacked Hermione. Perenelle's memory of the incident and why she did it are modified. Perenelle is angry with Dumbledore. He does not know what she was trying to find out from Hermione.

Harry learns about a Crucible Charm that was placed on him as a child and Hermione is determined to help him break it. Harry must not learn how to break the charm as it must occur naturally. Harry is the object of a whispering campaign as Hermione's co-conspirators set to work.

Harry spends Christmas with Lupin at Grimmauld Place after Dumbledore advises him the Ministry won't know if underage magic is performed there, but it must remain a secret from the others. Harry finds he can do permanent transfiguration charms.

The Grangers and Weasleys join them for Christmas and Harry asks the Grangers to stay on while he reads his mother's letters which are sealed. Harry confides in Winky and Mrs Granger about his performing underage magic there. Lily's letters to Harry are revealed and he and Hermione spend an emotional day reading. Just after Hermione has received a letter apparently from Lily, Voldemort possesses Harry and tries to attack Hermione. At the same time Harry wakes in control of Voldemort's body and is attacked himself.

Back at Hogwarts, Dobby is charged with stunning Harry every time he has a strange look about him. There are a number of false alarms but Hermione is safe.

Harry discovers Hermione in an ancient book store, accessed from a door within the restricted section of the library. Hermione is climbing dangerously high up seeking a book when Malfoy attacks Harry. His spell misses Harry but causes Hermione to fall. Harry dives into the falling debris to protect Hermione. Trapped, Hermione forces Harry to talk. The Crucible Charm breaks.

On their way back to the Headmaster's office, they stop off in Myrtle's bathroom to clean up. After leaving Dumbledore's office, Harry finally puts on his prefect badge and punishes Malfoy.

Part Three: The Dragon

Harry intervenes when a group of Death Eaters attack the refugee school while Hermione is reading to the children there. The story is the story of Merlin's wand which was just like Harry's Apprentice Piece.

After a Quidditch match Voldemort attacks in numbers. Many killed and injured. The DA is ready to assist. During the attack, Fudge tells Harry that Hermione and Ginny have been taken. There is a pitched battle inside the stadium. Outside, the Regiment is also fighting.

Fudge caught with defence plans and is arrested. Regiment's Colonel is killed. Dark Mark flies over Hogwarts. Hermione and Ginny are safe.

A dragon appears inside the Quidditch stadium. Dumbledore and Harry fight it together to Voldemort's taunts. Harry realises Voldemort is possessing the creature and breaks the control collar.

Harry's Apprentice Piece wand is destroyed. Harry speaks to the dragon, whose name is Kales, and invites him to fight Voldemort with them. Kales refuses but makes Voldemort set himself on fire through Harry and forbids the dragons from fighting for Voldemort. Harry finds out that Kales isn't really a dragon and his Apprentice Piece wasn't really a wand.

Harbinger dies from his injuries and Harry goes to Regiment field hospital for treatment of his broken arm. There, he finds Ginny and Hermione have taken charge.

Kales visits Harry and Hermione in a dream. Hermione remembers him from her own dreams. He calls her a Guardian, but doesn't tell Harry why.

Part Four: Beginning a few days after the battle …