Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Thirteen: Summoning the Sword

Harry climbed wearily back onto his bed in the deserted dormitory. He slept deeply for the entire morning but was woken by Ron trying quietly to get his things for the afternoon.

"Ron, I could hear you downstairs in the common room!"

Harry opened his eyes upon hearing Hermione's voice.

"Shh," said Ron, "Harry's trying to sleep."

Just as he said it, the lid of Ron's trunk slammed down and he let out several loud curses.

Harry laughed and propped himself up. He reached for his glasses as Hermione sat on the side of his bed.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, gently holding a hand to his forehead to check his temperature.

"Much better, thanks. I slept all morning," said Harry, smiling up at her and wishing Ron would hurry up and leave.

He took her hand in his. Seeing Hermione well and smiling warmly at him made him feel so much better.

At that moment, Madam Pomfrey appeared and to Harry's disappointment shooed both Ron and Hermione out of the room.

"I'm fine really. I just needed to sleep."

"And why couldn't you just sleep at night like everyone else?" she asked checking his temperature and pulse.

"Because while everyone else is awake there's nothing to worry about," Harry replied.

"That's the same drivel the Headmaster was talking about," she said absently. "You do still look tired, though. Do you want to eat something or can I give you a sleeping draught?"

"No, nothing thanks."

*

Harry quickly found himself in the stadium. He had never appeared here during the daytime before and he felt slightly uncomfortable. He concentrated hard and managed to transform the night clothes he had been wearing into his normal day clothes. Even if he was invisible, he wanted to feel dressed if he was going to mingle with people.

He flew back up to the castle and made a quick tour of the grounds, delighting in his ability to fly without a broom. Of course, he always flew around the stadium with his Firebolt, even though he no longer needed it in this dream world.

He stopped briefly by Hagrid's house and watched as he spoke to a group of Third years. Next he visited the green houses where he found Neville hard at work while Ron and Dean sat chatting.

Harry flew over the castle and down into one of the courtyards. There he found an angry Hermione advancing on a terrified Malfoy. It looked like she had just disarmed him.

"If I catch you bullying or stealing anything else from anybody again, you will pay for it," she said loudly. Behind her were two tearful looking Second Years.

Seeing Malfoy slink off and trusting Hermione would be alright, Harry made for the Headmaster's office.

He floated in through the external wall and automatically apologised to the Headmaster. He was sitting quite still at his desk. His eyes were closed. He looked almost asleep.

Harry realised that Dumbledore too must be out patrolling the school.

Harry turned his attention to the glittering Gryffindor sword. Dumbledore must have moved it to this convenient table knowing Harry might pay a visit. It was glowing brightly even in the daylight.

He held his hand out to grasp the handle, but his fingers passed straight through it without any resistance.

Harry took a few steps back and concentrated hard on the sword.

"Accio Sword!" he said.

Nothing happened. He tried again. And again.

Frustrated, he stopped to think. How could he take the sword? He paced the office a few times but in the end decided to take a flight and think about it.

*

Harry circled high over the castle, deep in thought. How could he get the sword? Maybe he shouldn't be thinking about the sword itself.

Absently looking down, Harry realised Malfoy was hiding behind a statue far below. Feeling he must be up to no good, he headed down. As he got to ground level, Harry saw Hermione hurry into the courtyard, rummaging through her bag for something.

Harry yelled, "Hermione!" but no-one in the waking world could hear him now.

He spun back around to face Malfoy. He was in front of the statue now and holding up his wand towards Hermione's back as she walked on.

"Expelliarmus!"

The spell missed Malfoy, but it was enough to warn Hermione.

In an instant she turned and yelled, "Patrificus Totalus!"

Malfoy froze and Harry watched as the Second Year who'd just tried to disarm Malfoy ran up to Hermione.

"He was going to curse you behind your back!" said the excited boy.

"Thank you, Peter. I'm so glad you were here to help," said Hermione, looking a little flushed. "Five points to Hufflepuff. I suggest you practise with your aim though," she said smiling. The boy blushed.

Relieved, Harry looked around. In the shadows several large creatures were lurking and five of them were now advancing on Hermione. One of them held a dagger that glowed green.

Harry positioned himself between Hermione and the thing holding the dagger. It snarled and thrust the dagger towards him. Harry jumped back but it just caught him. He cried with pain. It was like a burning sensation, although no physical mark had been left.

He had nothing to fight this with.

"Gryffindor, give me your sword!" he shouted in frustration. As if it had been waiting for him to ask, a long shining sword appeared in his hand. This one wasn't golden but it appeared to consist of nothing but light. The creatures cowered away from him as Harry held the sword up high, all except the one with the dagger.

It lunged for him and Harry instinctively swept the sword right through the creature. It screamed and was gone instantly. Looking around, he realised the others were gone as well.

He held the sword up and for a moment thought he saw a faint outline standing next to Hermione, reflected in the sword's light.

Was it Dumbledore, he wondered?

Harry lowered the sword and wondered what he should do with it. As he did so, the sword of light disappeared.