Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter One: Kales Returns

Dumbledore sat down having just described to the assembled school, Professor Harbinger's life from when he first came to Hogwarts as an eleven year old to his heroic death a few days past. He left nothing out, giving full details of the times he had been expelled as well his career as an Auror before he came back to Hogwarts a few months ago.

The entire hall remained silent, as each person present remembered Harbinger. The black flags that had adorned the Great Hall all week wafted gently although there was no breeze.

Harbinger had been laid to rest next to the family he missed so much. In accordance with his wishes, only very few people had attended the graveside. However, the entire school had stood in silent tribute during the service around the ancient graveyard. Harry had been invited to attend the simple burial service, but he had stayed to comfort Hermione at the entrance gates. Somehow he felt Harbinger would have wanted that.

Harry had listened intently to Dumbledore's words.

Harry already knew much of Harbinger's history, as well as his friendship with his mother which, of course, Dumbledore hadn't mentioned.

Dumbledore paid particular tribute to Professor Flitwick, highlighting his efforts to help the troubled John Harbinger, both at school and after. Flitwick didn't acknowledge Dumbledore, though. Tears were freely flowing down his face and he looked deep in thought.

Harry recalled that other than when Flitwick had been brought to Harbinger's body, he hadn't shown any emotion in the intervening days. He had launched himself into helping and directing repairs after the battle. Even at the service, he had been sombre but unemotional. It seemed it was only now, when everything was done, that he allowed himself to grieve.

Clearly, Harbinger had been modest when he had described to Harry his Auror activities. Dumbledore described, no doubt with help from Moody who knew him well, several notable achievements. Harbinger had received several decorations for bravery.

Hermione leaned heavily against Harry as Dumbledore spoke; her head bent low and dabbing her eyes frequently.

Dumbledore rose to his feet again and began to read out a full list of casualties, his voice full of emotion. He had known and taught every person on the list. Hermione gripped Harry's hand tightly throughout.

At the end of the list Dumbledore paused and took a deep, steadying breath. Wiping his eyes he started back at the top of the list and began again.

This time, however, he paused and said a few words about each of them, usually some obscure schooling achievement or a short amusing anecdote. His words were full of warmth and humour. And soon the melancholy in the Great Hall was replaced with sad smiles and occasional laughs.

Even Professor McGonagall wore a watery smile as she recalled the various events that Dumbledore described.

It struck Harry how much of a keen interest Dumbledore took in all his students, past and present. Not one individual hadn't been recalled with genuine affection.

*

It was a few days later that Harry had an opportunity to find out how the Death Eaters had been able to begin their attack from the Quidditch stadium.

The Aurors had completed their investigations and the Regiment had started clearing away the debris in preparation for reconstruction work but Madam Hooch had invited the Team Captains along to agree a new training schedule.

Harry went over to inspect the gaping tunnel entrance that was all too obvious now that most of the collapsed stand had been pulled away. He was acutely aware that had Neville not been there to stop him, he would have run straight into this tunnel, regardless of the consequences.

As he stared into the blackness, he became aware that someone was walking up to his side. He turned to see Lieutenant Davis.

"Want to see inside?"

Harry smiled back at him and nodded. They both drew out their wands and entered.

"Lumos," they both said and the same time.

The tunnel was about twelve feet in diameter and almost circular in profile apart from the floor, which was sloping downwards but otherwise flat. Harry could see many footprints trodden into the earth.

"Look at these tunnel supports," said the Lieutenant, shining his wand light to the side and going over. Harry followed and watched as the light beam hit what looked like a vertical support that was curved to match the wall. The supports projected slightly and Harry was strongly reminded of ribs, particularly as there appeared to be what looked like a backbone along the very top of the tunnel ceiling.

"These look like they were transfigured under the ground and then the earth was vanished to form the tunnel," he explained. "Come and see where they started from."

They proceeded further along the tunnel until they came to a larger chamber. The wand light was not strong enough to see the ceiling high above them clearly, but Harry could just make out tree roots intertwined.

"This is where they began the tunnel. You see these small openings," the Lieutenant said pointing at the rear wall. Harry nodded seeing dozens of small holes, each about a foot in diameter.

"These are too small for even a small man to get through. We think some small burrowing creatures were bewitched to tunnel from both the forest and the refugee camp. We have found several concealed entrances so far, but we know there must be more because of the number that finish here.

"They created a small chamber where we are standing, probably enough just for half a dozen men. One of the creatures probably brought a marker down here and the Death Eaters were then able to Portkey in. They then created this chamber and then the main tunnel."

"A marker?" asked Harry.

"Yes. You see Hogwarts is heavily protected. No ordinary Portkey will get you into the grounds, and it's the same down here. But if you can get a target that the Portkey can aim for, it can be done. It's one of the tricks the Regiment uses to breach a wizard stronghold. Of course, not even a target will get you into the castle itself."

Harry frowned to himself, and Davis smiled understanding his query.

"I've used a Portkey to both come and go into the castle," said Harry.

"But who created the Portkeys?" Davis asked with a grin.

"Dumbledore," answered Harry, and he realised that made sense. The Headmaster would know how to get through the castle's protections.

But, Harry wondered, how had Fides brought him back to the Headmaster's office?

Lieutenant Davis was continuing with his explanation.

"When they began their attack, they pushed the remaining earth up into the stand causing it to collapse and forming the tunnel mouth. By pushing the earth up rather than having a big explosion, they ensured that efforts would be divided between helping casualties trapped under the debris and fighting.

"You can see that this chamber probably held a good two hundred for the initial charge outside. More would have Portkeyed here and they also attacked from the forest, of course.

"The Aurors have taken all the Portkeys, but we found dozens lying around here. We also suspect that a small party remained here to capture you when you ventured inside."

"So did they build all this just to lure me here?" asked Harry.

"No, not entirely. They needed something to draw us into the stadium. The basic plan was for us to get pinned down inside the stadium trying to protect the civilians in the stands. Had that happened we know a lot more would have emerged from the forest."

"The dragons," Harry said softly.

"Yes, those too I expect."

They turned and made their way out.

"We knew your DA groups were making preparations inside the stadium. I'm afraid I made rather a nuisance of myself with Colonel Nader. I thought he and Dumbledore were quite mad to leave you lot without Regiment protection. Still, Voldemort will think twice before doing anything like that again. He lost a good number of fighters, even if we didn't get any of his core supporters."

Harry smiled hearing Davis say Voldemort's name.

"Why attack Hogwarts though?" wondered Harry aloud.

"I honestly don't know. Publicity alone would not be enough. I can tell you that through the ages, several battles were centred around here. Perhaps there's something here, a power maybe, that most people have forgotten. I probably should have paid more attention in Binns' classes!"

Harry snorted.

"We'll begin filling the chamber up when Dumbledore has finished. He wants to do some additional tests and said something about asking Professor Flitwick to place a charm from the lowest point. I'm not sure what it's about but he didn't want to burden the Professor with too much before he was ready."

*

Harry shaded his eyes as they emerged from the dark tunnel into the bright morning light. The others had gone but the Regiment soldiers were still hard at work.

"You know, this Regiment has been in existence in various forms and sizes since Roman times, and in the Roman tradition we build what we need when we need it. Fortifications, bridges, tunnels and anything else that's needed. In fact, we do more construction than training to fight. And yet, even our most experienced engineers would have had difficulty constructing all that undetected. Remember, we were looking for something like this."

Harry nodded in understanding and looked over towards the soldiers who were deciding which timbers they could reclaim and re-use in the new stand.

"We'll soon have this lot reinstated," said Davis looking around.

"Will the Regiment be staying long?"

"We'll be here as long as the refugee camp remains. Actually, that may not be too much longer. There were quite a few sympathisers that showed their hands. They are now helping the Aurors with their enquiries. In addition we've had a surprising number of volunteers to join the Regiment. The numbers that will be left will be small enough to take with us or relocate."

"Do you think that Nader and Dumbledore planned this? I mean, why they set up the camp so close to Hogwarts."

"I'm sure they did, and apart from our casualties, it was a very successful plan. From Nader's papers it looks like flushing Fudge out was a major priority, too."

"It must be difficult for you to carry on," said Harry gently, "knowing you lost so many colleagues."

"It's not easy, but it's what we do. Keeping everyone busy helps, but even in peacetime there are casualties."

*

Kales began visiting Harry in his dreams regularly, although he and Hermione hadn't shared any dream since they first met the dragon on the night after the battle. Harry wondered why this was and assumed it was because of the physical distance between them. Kales had told Harry he would stop by occasionally to ensure Voldemort wasn't trying to get into his mind.

At first, Harry woke in the mornings with only a vague recollection that he'd dreamt of the dragon. Then over several nights his waking memory became stronger. He particularly remembered the dragon's striking yellow eyes.

On the evening that Snape had given him three more detentions, the second two simply for asking what the first one was for, Harry fell asleep eventually after failing completely to empty his mind of emotion.

Harry knew he would be vulnerable. He was almost about to get up out of bed to make sure he didn't fall asleep until he'd calmed down, when exhaustion finally claimed him.

Fortunately, Kales was there. They talked and gradually Harry calmed down, although not quite enough for Kales' satisfaction.

"When do you feel most relaxed, boy?" the dragon asked.

"I suppose when I'm with Hermione and she's safe and I haven't annoyed her, or when I'm flying," he replied honestly.

"Do you ever dream of flying?"

"Rarely, but yes," Harry replied.

"Is that your broom?"

Harry turned and looked behind him. It was his Firebolt just lying on the grass. He extended his arm and said, "Up!" and the broom jumped up into his hand. It was identical in every way.

Harry smiled to himself, as he did whenever he held his real Firebolt. Everything associated with Sirius had a special significance for him now, and this was especially true of his Firebolt.

"Come, join me on a flight," said Kales, extending his wings out wide.

They did a few laps around the Quidditch Stadium and Harry almost forgot he was in a dream. Eventually Kales became satisfied that Harry was sufficiently relaxed, and called for him to follow back down to the ground.

"Thanks," said Harry when they landed. "I've not really progressed much further with my Occlumency for ages. I have trouble emptying my mind of strong emotions, especially after Snape has wound me up."

"There's nothing wrong with having strong emotions, it's just that your link with Voldemort appears to be strongest when either of you are feeling a strong negative emotion. I want you to come here in your dreams and fly if you have to. Will yourself here, even if I'm not. You will find that you'll need a broomstick to fly for a while, but this is only a dream so you don't really need it."

Harry nodded and then asked, "Um, not to rude or anything, but you look a lot smaller now than when we met in real life. Why is that?"

"Well, considering that I could barely take a dozen steps backwards without trampling over some goal posts, I thought something smaller might be more sensible. Anyway, I would like to begin to train you in a couple of areas. We can only meet in this dream state, so progress will be slow. You need normal sleep as well."

"What sort of things?" asked Harry.

"You really need to learn to control your emotions, not just when you are trying to sleep," Kales said ignoring Harry's question. "Don't allow yourself to be provoked so easily but don't, on any account, allow yourself to become unfeeling."

"That's easier said than done," Harry replied darkly.

"You are a wand bearer. It chose you."

Harry shook his head having no idea what Kales was trying to explain.

"It will come in time. Sleep now, Boy."

Harry slept, but from that night onwards he would remember Kales' visits.