Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Two: Perenelle's Defence Lessons

Harry and Hermione walked into one of the lesser used classrooms on the ground floor. They were a little later than intended because they had been detained by several DA members, each complaining that they wanted more defence lessons and asking what was so important this evening that prevented Harry teaching them tonight.

Hermione had patiently explained that Harry needed his own training and that Harry would be pleased to arrange as many DA meetings as he could manage.

Inside the classroom they found Perenelle waiting for them with an excited look on her face.

She eagerly handed Harry a long list of curses and hexes she was proposing they learn. Harry and Hermione studied the list carefully, standing side by side to read the list. Hermione took out a quill and undid a small bottle of ink and began marking the list.

Starting right at the top, her finger followed the list down. Some she ticked immediately, others she crossed. Occasionally she paused and Harry would give a small nod or shake of the head and she marked them accordingly. They smiled at each other as they reached the end of the list, Harry feeling a kind of thrill that they were now of one mind in this.

Perenelle's face dropped seeing the number of crosses Hermione had marked.

"Some of these look really interesting," said Harry encouragingly, "but a lot of these are too dark for me. That flesh melting one looks terrible."

"I've marked some with a question mark," added Hermione, looking up from the list. "I'll look these up before we decide finally on them."

Perenelle looked down at the marked list.

"The ones that blow up internal organs aren't always fatal," she offered.

"No thanks," said Harry smiling.

"Inducing temporary blindness?" Perenelle asked hopefully.

"How temporary is it?" asked Hermione without looking up as she put her quill and ink away.

Perenelle sighed deeply and sat down, admitting defeat. Harry snorted.

"I really appreciate the trouble you've gone to, Perenelle," said Harry warmly, "but some of these are just horrible."

"Do you think your enemies will refrain from using these, just because you don't use them?" Perenelle demanded, sounding cross now.

"Not at all," said Hermione quickly. Harry smiled at her. He had been about to say the exact same words.

"We do want to learn how to defend ourselves against all this sort of thing, though," said Harry.

"Oh, I have a separate list for defensive training. These are just the milder ones I thought you might go for as offensive curses. The defensive list is considerably longer, of course."

Hermione gulped but Harry said, "That's good. It's exactly what we need. Thank you for helping us, Perenelle."

"Want to make a start?" asked Perenelle enthusiastically, jumping up.

*

An hour later, Perenelle was again pleading with Harry.

He knew she was right, but he couldn't really see a solution to the problem. Thanks to his sessions in the Auror Training tent and Harbinger's efforts, he had become very proficient in defensive spells and counter jinxes.

Perenelle's complaint was that neither Harry nor Hermione were retaliating with any conviction against her and Harry was even weaker against Hermione.

Harry was very uncomfortable about duelling with a very elderly and diminutive lady, even if she was a witch as powerful and energetic as Perenelle. He also couldn't bring himself to risk hurting Hermione.

"Do you really think Voldemort won't have Death Eaters and sympathisers that look helpless? Some of his best assassins are kindly looking little old ladies."

Harry shook his head.

No, he didn't think that.

At that moment, Dumbledore entered the classroom. He was followed by Pansy Parkinson and a Fifth Year boy from Slytherin that Harry recognised but didn't know.

Harry and Hermione exchanged quizzical looks, both wondering what Dumbledore wanted and why he felt it necessary to bring a couple of Slytherins.

"My apologies for interrupting," said Dumbledore softly, "but I may have found a solution to your problem."

Behind him, Pansy winked at Harry and gave him a small mischievous smile.

"Miss Parkinson and Mr Hopkins here have shown themselves quite adept at duelling with some of the darker curses. So much so, indeed, that I'm afraid they have earned themselves several detentions. Coincidentally, their detentions happen to coincide with your additional training periods. I hope you won't mind if they join you."

"More than welcome," said Perenelle, firing stunning spells at each of them without warning. They reacted instantly and soon the three of them were duelling energetically to Perenelle's obvious approval.

Dumbledore had to raise his voice a little to be heard above the bangs and cracks as the fight continued. Hermione was looking on in shock but soon brought her attention back to the Headmaster.

"I have asked Alastor Moody to join the staff to fill in with Professor Harbinger's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes," he said. "Unfortunately he can only teach part time but he should be able to cover the OWL and NEWT final years. That will still leave us with several classes that need cover."

"I'll do it!" shouted Perenelle from across the room. She quickly stunned the two Slytherins she had been toying with and practically ran back over to Dumbledore.

"No, Perenelle," said Dumbledore firmly.

"Please?"

"You have too little self control, Perenelle," he added before turning back to Harry and Hermione.

"We haven't had any appropriate applicants for the post, although Gilderoy did send a very nice drawing together with several autographed photos," the Headmaster said with the smallest of smiles.

"I have also taken the liberty of making enquires with several of your DA members. They all seem to think that it would be very difficult indeed to find anyone better at teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts than yourself, Harry."

Harry felt himself blush slightly.

"John Harbinger himself asked if he could get you to provide some teaching assistance. I thought you had enough to do but it seems you are already teaching two-thirds of the school though DA and Rebel activities anyway."

"We're well over three-quarters now, actually, Sir," said Hermione, grinning.

"Indeed?" Dumbledore said raising his eyebrows. "Well, I'd very much appreciate it if both of you would consent to help out as teaching assistants for the next few weeks. Defence Against the Dark Arts is too important to leave these days."

"I'd love to," said Hermione, beaming up at him. She turned to Harry expectantly.

"Well, of course I'll help," said Harry after a moment, "but won't Professor Snape want to help out too?"

"I don't want to trouble Professor Snape with this," said Dumbledore carefully. "However, you may find that his justifiable concern should you miss or be late for any of his classes may lead to an increase in the number of detentions he gives and points he deducts. His motives will, I'm sure, be entirely out of concern for your levels of attainment in his classes."

Harry bit his tongue.

"Please see Professor McGonagall for details of the classes you will be asked to cover and the syllabus requirements. I would also advise you to seek Professor McGonagall's advice should you have any concerns or difficulties, as I'm sure you will. You will find her sympathetic and helpful."

They nodded and watched as the Headmaster turned and left, Hermione looking enthusiastic and Harry feeling more than a little trepidation.

Hermione's smile left her face when they turned and walked over to where Perenelle was reviving Pansy and Hopkins.

"Are you sure you'll be able to stun Pansy?" he asked quietly.

"If she keeps winking at you like that," she replied darkly, "no problem at all."