Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Nine: The First Aid Club

"Hi, Harry," said Neville, smiling. "Got you too, did she?"

Harry snorted and nodded. Neville was also nursing a broken arm.

"I think we got off lightly, actually," said Harry, nodding to the others waiting in the Hospital Wing. At least Neville and he could walk. Everyone else was lying on a bed, looking warily at the all too eager looking would-be-healers of the First Aid Club.

Eventually, Ginny came in closely followed by Hermione.

Hermione gave Ginny a, "why so many?" look.

Ginny responded with a, "so what?" look.

Then Madam Pomfrey appeared and immediately assigned two First Aiders to each patient.

Harry was hoping to get Hermione but instead got two over excited looking Second Year girls.

Harry only caught snatches of Madam Pomfrey's instructions.

"Don't take any nonsense from your patients … Make sure they know who is in charge … Don't be afraid to inflict pain … Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind."

Meanwhile, Harry's healers were consulting each other on his diagnosis. They did this through a series of secretive whispers and giggles until finally, both wearing strangely manic expressions, they set to work.

"Er, it's my arm, actually," offered Harry to one of them.

He wished she would point her wand somewhere else.

"It is usually best to cut away the clothing from the affected area," said Madam Pomfrey from somewhere down the ward.

"Hey, these trousers are almost new!" said Harry in alarm. "My arm, remember?"

"What is all this fuss?" asked Madam Pomfrey. "Oh, it's you. Don't worry girls, Potter is always a troublesome patient. Take your trousers off if you don't want them cut."

"Madam Pomfrey, it's my arm that needs mending."

"Oh," she said as both girls dissolved in fits of giggles. "Well, fix his arm first, will you girls? You can do a more thorough examination after."

*

A couple of hours later, Harry walked back to the common room with Hermione.

"That First Aid club is really a good idea," said Harry. "I have to admit they did a good job on my arm too. I was hoping I'd get you, though. At least you would have left my trousers alone."

"You might have regretted it if I did," said Hermione sadly. "Ginny had to re-break poor Neville's arm three times before I got it right."

"I'm sure he didn't mind," said Harry smiling. "Any time you want to practice, you can always break my arm."

"Thanks Harry," she replied smiling. "Actually, I'm amazed she managed to get so many volunteers."

Harry pondered an answer for a moment but Hermione continued, apparently following a new train of thought.

"Have you noticed anything about Neville, lately?"

"Er," said Harry, playing for time.

"Is it just me or is he a lot more confident now?"

Harry was now feeling very uncomfortable. He felt like just running away. Anything would be better than admitting he knew anything.

"Um, I really need to get that Potions homework finished," said Harry, wishing he could think of something better to distract Hermione with.

Hermione stopped immediately and looked at him with a penetrating stare.

"You know, don't you?"

"N-No. It's really none of-," he spluttered feeling his face go red.

Hermione just raised her eyebrows and Harry found he couldn't maintain eye contact with her.

"Look," he whispered urgently, "I don't know anything and even if I did I would lie about it. Neville is my friend. He's our friend. He doesn't deserve to be spied upon or speculated about."

Hermione looked quite shocked.

"Of course he's our friend. I didn't. I mean. What?"

"I'm sorry, Hermione. I had no right to speak to you like that," said Harry. "Let's just get back, shall we?"

*

Back in the common room, Hermione departed immediately for the girl's dormitories. They hadn't spoken a single word together since Harry's apology.

Harry watched her disappear with a sinking feeling. Not only had he managed to let slip that he might know something about Neville, he'd also managed make it quite clear that he didn't think Hermione could be trusted with his confidence.

"Can this get any worse?" thought Harry.

"Er, Harry could I, er, have a quiet word with you?"

Harry looked up and saw Neville.

"Yes it can," thought Harry, in answer to his own question.

He just nodded and followed Neville outside where they walked a few paces down the corridor.

"I'm sorry, Harry," said Neville finally.

"Why?" asked Harry, stupidly.

"I overheard you and Hermione coming back from the hospital wing just now."

"Oh."

"Thank you for not saying anything to Hermione."

"It was my fault for getting flustered. I can never lie to Hermione and now of course she thinks I can't trust her."

"How did you find out?"

"Not another soul knows, Neville, I swear," said Harry seriously. "I have no intention of telling anyone anything. Even Hermione."

"Anyone?" asked Neville with a smirk.

"No one, and I mean it," Harry replied flatly. "Neville, it was me that caused the fire to flare up that night. I had no idea anyone was in the common room. I'm so sorry."

"How?" Neville asked in amazement. "You were in bed when I crept back into our dormitory."

"Well," replied Harry carefully, "I was kind of invisible downstairs and got back before you, I suppose. I'm getting better at sneaking around."

"You must be!" said Neville, grinning.

"Neville, why are you taking this so well? You should be furious with me!"

"Well, two reasons actually. Most importantly, I know I can trust you. Secondly, I'm a little tired of sneaking around too."

Harry grinned back.

"How long have you two been sneaking around, anyway?"

Harry had known that he and Susan Bones had broken up amicably a few weeks after Halloween. In fact, they'd been getting on so well lately, Ron had actually wondered if they were seeing each other again.

"Not long at all, really," admitted Neville sheepishly.