Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Three: The Mirror with No Glass

Harry confided to Ron that Dumbledore had asked Hermione and himself to step in as class assistants. He was feeling a little unsure about it already.

"It's no big deal," Ron said as they sat for dinner in the Great Hall. "Remember? They had a senior former sit in on us when Lockhart had one of his bad hair days?"

"I'd forgotten about that," admitted Harry, feeling a little better.

"Yeah. Makes sense since you don't have proper exams this year. All you have to do is sit in while they read or something."

"Well, I thought that but I think Hermione has other ideas," said Harry as Hermione tottered up to them carrying several volumes of books.

"Here, let me help," Harry said, taking the books from her.

"Thanks, Harry," she said gratefully. "Professor McGonagall lent me some of her teaching theory and practise books. I asked and she said you can borrow them too."

Ron sniggered very loudly.

*

Harry was flying around the now familiar dream Quidditch stadium when Kales appeared far below. Harry dived down to join him at once.

"Were you flying that fast for any particular reason?"

"No, I just like to," said Harry smiling. "I didn't have potions today so I'm quite relaxed."

"Good. Come over here to this mirror."

Harry carefully placed his dream Firebolt on the rack that appeared upon his thought command. He was getting better at conjuring here, although it always left him tired and he wasn't always successful.

He walked over to join Kales, who was standing before an enormous mirror. Except that it wasn't actually made of glass. It looked like he might be able to actually step through the frame, except his reflection was standing there ready to do the same.

"Why don't you have a reflection?"

"My reflection has a prior engagement this evening. Stand straight and look at your reflection."

Harry did as he was told.

"Now remember this image of yourself. Close your eyes."

Harry closed his eyes.

"Listen carefully now. Imagine your hair is growing longer. You are in need of a haircut. You are much more comfortable with a shorter length. This shoulder length is quite irritating. You can feel the length and it's uncomfortable. You really must get it cut."

As Kales spoke, Harry instinctively shook his head slightly, shaking the imaginary overlong hair.

"Now imagine one of your friends has tried out a colour change spell on you while you slept. One side is bluish and the other is bright red."

Harry laughed, imagining the sight he must look.

Kales chuckled deeply and said, "Now, open your eyes and remind yourself what you really look like."

Harry gasped. He was looking at himself exactly as he had imagined his fair looking. Overlong and multi-coloured!

"Hah!" cried Harry. Turning his head he suddenly realised his actual hair had also become long and coloured, not just his reflection.

"This is just in this dream, though, right?" asked Harry, suddenly a little concerned.

"Well, yes, probably," admitted Kales, "but if you can perform these dream state transformations you will, with practice, be able to perform them awake. I want you to increase the complexity of the magic you practice here, using your thoughts. In time, you will also find that you can perform the same magic in the real world."

Harry looked back into the mirror and frowned before closing his eyes again.

"Concentrate now," said Kales. "Do the same process again in your mind except this time think of your normal appearance. Keeping your eyes closed will be less distracting, but you should try with your eyes open when you become more proficient."

When Harry opened his eyes, his hair was back to normal.

He was, though, very tired indeed.

"I'm surprised you managed that first go," admitted Kales. "We need to accelerate things anyway, so that's as well. I normally advise that the Apprentice Piece will only allow it's power to be yielded at a slow rate and that the bearer need not be discouraged by lack of progress."

Harry nodded, still staring at his reflection. Just for a moment, as he was about to turn away, he thought back to the time he encountered himself with Fides at the Department of Mysteries.

Somehow this mirror reminded him of the darker side that remained inside him, now gradually becoming free of the Crucible charm inside him. It troubled him that the Apprentice Piece and whatever powers Kales expected him to learn and use responsibly, may be in the hands of someone so dark.

He wondered if he was strong enough to resist.

"Sleep now, Boy."

*

Harry woke up and realised that his bed was surrounded by Ron, Neville, Dean and Seamus.

"What?" croaked Harry, still feeling the tiredness that waking from the stadium always left him with.

"Your hair, Harry," said Ron, laughing.

"Oh no," said Harry, and sure enough he realised he still had his long dream hair, complete with blue and red colourings.

Trying hard to ignore the others who were beginning to laugh harder, Harry covered his face with his hands and concentrated hard. He imagined he was looking into the dream mirror and repeated the steps Kales had told him.

The laughter stopped abruptly and Harry took his hands away. He immediately realised the length was back to normal but he wasn't sure about the colour yet.

He was sure, however, that he would try and remember to close his bed hangings in future.

Ron was looking at him in shock.

"Is the colour still wrong?" asked Harry. Ron just continued to stare at him.

"It looks normal, Harry," said Neville, smiling. "How did you do that?"