Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Six: History Classes

"Professor Snape?" Hermione asked nervously at the end of their Potions class. "Harry and I were wondering if you would be kind enough to give us additional Potions lessons to we can keep up."

Snape glared at her but his expression turned to a sneer as he turned to Harry.

"I'm not sure Mr Potter has time for additional lessons. He still owes me three detentions from last week."

"Please, Professor," she persisted, "Potions is such an important subject and we'd never do as well without you teaching us."

"Indeed," he replied coldly, "but apparently not important enough for you to attend in accordance with your timetables."

"But-" began Hermione, before she was interrupted by Snape.

"However," Snape continued, "I recognise that Professor Harbinger's death has caused certain difficulties for the Headmaster. In addition, Professor Flitwick has made a personal plea on your behalf. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't consider it, but provided you attend all of the additional periods we agree and you satisfactorily complete all the coursework I assign, then I will consent to provide you will additional lessons."

"Thank you, Professor," Hermione said in surprise.

Harry was too stunned to say anything.

"You will be issued with revised timetables tomorrow. Leave now, I have important matters to attend to."

*

Harry entered the History of Magic classroom. This was a Fifth Year revision class. As usual, Harry immediately looked for a seat at the back but unfortunately all those places were taken. Everybody seemed to be getting comfortable for an hour's sleep again.

Harry found a seat at the front, thoroughly wishing he hadn't promised to attend.

To his surprise, Perenelle entered the classroom and announced she would be taking the class for a few weeks.

"What have you covered so far?" she asked.

No-one had the remotest idea.

Tutting, Perenelle consulted her syllabus and said they should start with the Goblin revolts.

She pointed her wand at each of the four walls in turn and muttered an incantation. Each wall was eventually covered by a thick, cascading, white mist that flowed down slowly and covered the floor completely.

Suddenly it grew much colder and they felt a wind blow.

Harry felt his desk tilt slightly and realised there was uneven grass underneath his feet. It was as if they were in the middle of a field.

Harry now heard noises far off in the distance. Squinting, he could just about see flaming torches far off into the mist.

Perenelle pointed and said, "Over there are the armies of Groden, leader of the revolt. The wizarding armies are way over there, lead by Spoad-Brown. They do not know that another contingent of goblins is waiting somewhere over there. This is the morning of the battle and the charge will start in a minute."

The class listened intently. Harry could hear the thundering sound of a horse galloping towards them. Suddenly a knight in full armour and on horseback charged out of the mist and pulled up.

"Madam, this is a battlefield," he said indignantly, "kindly remove yourself and your charges from the field so we can continue."

Perenelle ignored him.

"This is the leader of the wizarding armies. Notice his armour was contemporary and was only slightly modified from Muggle developed armour. In many ways the Muggle armour technology was superior and, like so many other advances, was quickly adopted and adapted by the wizards of the day. Note also the standards and shield markings."

Harry could now see hills surrounding them. It was almost daybreak and the mist was slowly rising to give a spectacular view of the battlefield. Unfortunately, it looked like they would be right in the middle.

"Madam, will you please move!"

They heard another horse and rider approach at speed from the other direction.

Perenelle continued. "This is Groden, the Goblin leader. He survived today's battle but was murdered shortly after over an argument about some gold. He was considered one of the most ruthless and brilliant strategists of his time. He personally beheaded Spoad-Brown later this morning and paraded his head around on a spike."

"Spoad-Brown, what's the hold up?" the goblin said, "Are you showing off again?"

"Madam, I really must insist," blustered Spoad-Brown. "The rules of engagement for warfare under paragraph 5 sub-section 2 clearly state-"

Harry was strongly reminded of Percy.

"And people wonder why I killed you," said Groden dryly to several laughs.

"As you can see, Spoad-Brown was considered an idiot."

The lesson, or rather the re-enacted battle, ended a while later when bell rang indicating the lesson was over.

The mist and the remaining protagonists disappeared with a wave of Perenelle's wand, together with more than a few stray limbs.

"Next time I'll be inviting Groden to quiz you on this battle and the events that lead up to it. He'll bring his mace," she added casually. "There should also be time to see the fight that broke out when the peace agreement was finally signed. You may go."

Perenelle left the classroom with a wide smile on her face, leaving the class in stunned silence.

Harry had never had a History of Magic lesson like it.

He walked back over to his desk to collect his bag. Everyone had moved around trying to avoid the combatants.

Looking down, he realised that the blood that had covered most of himself and his classmates had also now gone.