Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sword of Light by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sword of Light

jardyn39

The Sword of Light

by Jardyn39

Part Four of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter Twelve: Kales Departs

Back at the stadium, Harry and Kales talked. Harry was shaking. The image of the two creatures feeding on Hermione was burned into his mind.

"In small numbers, even the larger creatures you've just seen can't do too much permanent damage. I can tell you that you've probably had four or five attacking you every single night of your life. More since Voldemort regained his strength."

"Why not tonight though?"

"Because your life-force isn't strong enough to attract them in numbers while you are here."

"Why didn't they attack Hermione straight away?" asked Harry. "They looked like they were basking."

"That is true. They would not naturally attack a life force. They cannot gain any sustenance from it but it does appear to give pleasure."

"So why would they attack if they aren't feeding?"

"Voldemort is sending them. Somehow he's expelling them from their world and send them here as agents to do his bidding."

"Can we stop them coming?"

"That is another's struggle," answered Kales carefully.

"How can we fight them here?"

"I'm sorry but I cannot. Even if I could stay here, I could not. Neither, I'm afraid can Young Albus. He cannot even see the creatures."

"Why can I then?"

"I suspect you can see your friends' life-force because you are contemporaries of them. I also believe you can't see the actual creatures themselves, only the life-force they have consumed or been bathed in."

"Is that your only theory?"

"It's the only one you're ready to accept for the present."

"Okay, how can I fight them?"

"You saw how they were repelled by the stronger levels of life-force? What you need is a weapon that represents the strongest life-force."

"Gryffindor's sword?"

"Yes."

"But how can I use it in this world?"

"I honestly have no idea. You need to work it out quickly, though. Voldemort will attack in numbers very soon. Weeks possibly."

"I'll work it out somehow. Was Neville's charm the same as mine?"

"Ask young Albus."

"How can I change size like you do? Can I also change my form here?"

"It's all in the mind, really. It takes a lot of practice, though. Even Young Albus is only just beginning to make progress. May I suggest that your priority should be learning how to yield the sword?"

"Yes, you're right. Why did you choose a dragon form?"

"I've always liked dragons. But the truth is I didn't want to be recognised in this world. As old as I am, there remain forces that would be unhappy to see that I have returned. You will not see me again here, although we may yet meet again. I have neglected my duties elsewhere and unfortunately Voldemort's evil is causing upset in many places. He has much to answer for."

"Thank you for all your help, Kales. I will miss you," said Harry as they parted.

*

"Harry, what's got into you? For the last time, I'm fine," said Hermione, sounding most annoyed.

Harry was exhausted. He had woken very tired after the night's excursions with Kales. What was worse, Harry couldn't get the image of the two creatures attacking Hermione as she'd slept out his mind.

"Thanks for your message, by the way," she added.

Harry smiled at her, remembering how he'd felt when wrote it. He didn't think he could manage to express such a sentiment having seen the creatures, though.

"I saw your message on the door," he said, "What was the problem?"

"No problem," she replied lightly.

Harry sighed.

"Hermione, I saw something quite disturbing last night. Kales showed me. He's gone, by the way."

"That's a shame. What did you see?"

"I'm going to see Dumbledore," said Harry getting up.

"Are you sure you want to miss another Potions class?" she said quietly. "Do you even have time for another detention this week?"

*

Harry knocked on the door to the Headmaster's office. It opened immediately and he stepped inside. Dumbledore was writing at his desk.

"Take a seat, Harry," said Dumbledore, not looking up. Harry walked over and sat heavily. "What is it?"

"Kales left last night. He showed me the creatures. They were attacking Hermione as she slept. He said Voldemort was sending them as his agents and more will come. I have to learn how to fight them. He agreed that Gryffindor's sword might be effective because they are afraid of strong life-force."

"I see," said Dumbledore. "Do you want to take the sword?"

"No. I need it in the dream state not the real world," Harry said rubbing his tired eyes under his glasses. "I'd like permission to visit here, and take the sword if I can. I think it's the life force that the sword represents I need, rather than the actual sword."

"That's quite perceptive, Harry. You might try summoning it to you, though. I suspect you'll need to be close to it the first time you try. Can you see the life force in others?"

"Yes, when they are asleep. Kales said it was because we were of similar age. He admitted that might not be the only reason."

"Harry, forgive me, but you look terrible," said Dumbledore, looking concerned. "I suggest you get some sleep."

Harry nodded weakly.

"I will inform Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey that you are excused lessons for today."

"Thank you, Sir," he replied. "I'm not sure I can sleep though. I can't get those creatures out of my mind. Have you ever seen them?"

"I have seen the smaller creatures but no others. I have thought there was a presence one or two times, though."

They were silent for a moment.

"Was Neville's charm placed on him at the same time as mine?"

Dumbledore smiled and said, "Within a few months, actually. His was performed in very different circumstances from yours. Neville was subjected to some very powerful magic when he was young. His charm was designed to protect him until he was strong enough. I can see in his manner that he is about to break free of it."

Harry nodded.

"Interestingly, you shared the same key to commence unlocking the charms."

"Key?"

"Indeed. Four apparently random words which you both heard the same evening."

Harry thoughts were interrupted when Dumbledore cleared his throat gently and said, "Harry, I think it's time told you something. It concerns the circumstances surrounding the breaking of your Crucible Charm. Hermione told us that she wouldn't tell you everything. I suspect she didn't want to risk your being disappointed in me."

"Well, I realised she didn't want to talk about it."

"There was so little time," Dumbledore said wistfully, then continued, "Hermione's mother had the benefit of not being misled by Nicholas. I knew that she also saw you at St Mungos, and yet I underestimated her completely. You see, Nicholas intended to guide Hermione, not tell her everything. Hermione's efforts were a little misdirected."

"I did wonder why Flamel didn't consult you before telling Hermione. So was my psychological profile a waste of time?"

"Nicholas hadn't expected Hermione to show such zeal. All he wanted was for her to think through some of the possibilities. Instead of being selfish, she really did work to find what she thought was the trigger."

Harry frowned.

"From Nicholas' viewpoint, no harm would have been done. Our trigger event was damaged. It would not have worked anyway. Harry, it was your mother's letters that enabled you to break the Crucible."

"Well, it was certainly after we'd read her first letter that I felt the pain in my chest."

"Indeed. The circumstances that led to the breaking of the charm are, as far as I'm concerned, something private. Thanks to Mrs Granger, and indeed your mother, things turned out alright in the end. No doubt Hermione can fill you in on the finer points."

Harry nodded.

"However, the reason I raised this is simply that I felt I should tell you what the original trigger event was. The one Nicholas and I intended, that is."

Harry frowned but then gently shook his head.

"This is something Hermione doesn't know the truth of?"

"She does not," said Dumbledore, "nor will I ever tell her."

"How close is it to the trigger that Neville will use to break his charm?"

"They were identical. Of course, his isn't damaged."

"I'm guessing it won't be so different from the one that actually worked for me," Harry said to himself. Dumbledore was about to respond when Harry held up a hand.

"We'll never speak of this again," said Harry adamantly.

Dumbledore smiled and said simply, "As you wish."

Harry thought back. Four random words.

"It was the first thing you said. Just after our sorting. You said Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, and Tweak in that order!"

Dumbledore chuckled and nodded.

"You know, after I'd said them I suddenly worried that I'd got the order wrong. Just imagine how madder I would have seemed if I had to stand up again and say, 'Sorry, I'll try that again!'"