Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Accord by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Accord

jardyn39

The Accord

by Jardyn39

Part Five and Conclusion to "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 1 - Unwelcome Visitors

Harry Potter absently scratched his ear as he read under the shade of the large beech tree by the side of the lake. It was an unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon, and Hermione had suggested that they sit outside to do their homework.

Harry had no intention of actually doing his homework, but having utterly failed to dissuade Hermione from doing hers, had joined her outside anyway.

Once there, Harry's feeble attempts to distract her were met with a frown that told him all too clearly that her homework took priority and that his should as well.

Eventually Harry had picked up one of Hermione's many books and had opened it at a random page. He hadn't expected this particular book, an ancient tome on advanced Transfiguration, to interest him at all. However, he soon became engrossed reading about the phenomena of wizards and witches who were also Metamorphmagus, and able to change their appearance at will.

Harry had been told that he was a Metamorphmagus by Perenelle Flamel a short while ago, just like Tonks. Kales, the dragon who introduced him to the dream world where he could travel undetected around the Hogwarts castle and grounds, had shown him how to change the colour and appearance of his hair.

He still doubted that he really was a Metamorphmagus, not least because the only thing he could transform so far was his hair.

Harry had been trying to change himself in both the waking world and in his dream state. He had been reluctant to do too much for fear of the reaction he would get from others. Ron, in particular, kept looking at him like he wasn't sure what to make of Harry any more.

He wished Kales was still around to teach him. In fact, Harry had found that now he didn't have Kales for company, the dream world was a very lonely place, especially at night.

Harry found himself quite envious of Dumbledore, who was free to roam the castle undetected during the day if he wished.

Harry scratched his ear again and stretched, remembering back to the conversation he'd had earlier with Dumbledore.

*

"Harry, have you been exploring the castle now that Kales has left?" asked Dumbledore.

"Yes, of course I have," Harry replied quietly. "I've been afraid that more of those things will come back."

"Have you encountered anything?"

"No, I'd have said," replied Harry.

"Each morning, though, you have woken more tired, and each night gets worse."

"Yes, Sir. How did you know?"

"Well, apart from the fact that you just fell asleep in your breakfast," Dumbledore replied with a small smile, "I remember my own experiences."

Harry nodded.

"It will get easier, but it may take many years. Indeed, I suspect part of the problem is your young age. Normally the wand chooses the wizard when he is much older."

Harry was far too tired to feel indignant.

"Harry, I want you to restrict the time you spend in your dream state. You should be fine staying in the stadium, but even there you would be wise to restrict yourself."

"But what if something happens?"

"Right now, you would be too weak to do anything."

Harry knew this was true.

"Okay," he said with a sigh. "I promise."

"Thank you, Harry. I'd recommend a thoroughly lazy day."

*

Harry reached the end of the chapter, still with no clue how he could improve his Metamorphmagus skills. Perhaps he should ask Tonks for her opinion, provided she would be prepared to take his claims seriously, of course.

Harry scratched his ear again but this time looked up. Hermione was still sitting with a large book in her lap.

Something about the smile she was wearing, her raised eyebrows and the suspiciously long quill she was holding, told him she had finished her homework.

"I'm not sure I chose a wise place to sit, Hermione. Something keeps tickling my ears," he said as flatly as he could.

"Really?" she asked, still pretending to read but smiling widely now. "Crookshanks, have you been tickling Harry's ears again?"

She reached over to her large bandy legged ginger cat and began scratching behind his ears fondly.

Crookshanks appeared to be happy to interrupt his stalking trip, waving his tail and purring with obvious pleasure.

Harry felt quite envious of the attention he was getting.

After a few moments, Crookshanks parted from Hermione and, pausing to rub Harry with his cheeks, ran off to pursue some new quarry.

"Actually, I was the one with the itch," said Harry with a smile.

Hermione laughed and reached out towards him with both hands. He moved closer to her on his knees but couldn't help laughing as she immediately began scratching him behind both ears.

"That better?"

"I still have an itch," he said smiling and moving closer.

"What's that?" asked Hermione, pulling away. Through Harry's annoyance he could hear distant shouts and a scream.

He turned to look.

It took him a moment to register what he was seeing.

Two animals were bounding towards them at speed. One was a wolf and the other a male lion.

Harry jumped to his feet and withdrew his wand. Standing in front of Hermione who was still kneeling on the ground, he realised these animals were a lot bigger than normal.

The two creatures slowed and came to a halt about twenty feet from Harry.

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw something ginger flash past.

"Crookshanks, no!" cried Hermione. "Oh, my!"

Harry turned his head, curious to know what Hermione had exclaimed about. What he saw actually made him momentarily forget about the other two animals.

Padding out ahead of Harry was an enormous, ginger cat that looked every bit as big as the two intruders. It looked like a tiger except the stripes were a lot less pronounced.

Harry stared at the creature. There was no doubt in his mind that this was indeed Crookshanks, complete with squashed face and bottle-brush tail. What was less like Crookshanks was perhaps that fact that he was now the size of a Sabre-tooth Tiger, complete with formidable looking teeth.

As Harry looked on, the wolf-like creature transformed into a young woman. She had long blonde hair and was wearing a light cloak over what looked like a dragon skin suit.

"Crookshanks!" she shouted, quickly going over to the ginger beast and hugging him. "How have you been?" she asked scratching him behind the ears with her dragon skin gloves. "You big softy," she continued.

Crookshanks, though, was still watching the other cat intently.

The lion moved forward a step and Crookshanks lurched forward, growling menacingly.

"Oh, behave you two," the woman said, slapping Crookshanks on the muzzle. For a moment Harry was convinced the Sabre-tooth Crookshanks was going to attack her, but instead he just turned and padded back towards Hermione.

Once he was sure that Crookshanks only wanted some more attention from Hermione, Harry walked towards the two visitors.

The lion was standing next to the woman now, and he transformed as Harry approached.

As a man, he was about the same height as Harry but heavily built with long unkempt hair down past his shoulders.

"Is Dumbledore around?" he demanded aggressively.

"Mind your manners," said the woman abruptly and stepping towards Harry with a smile and holding out her hand. "My apologies. My name is Clura and my rude companion here is Portier. We were hoping to see the Headmaster."

Harry shook her hand and said, "Hello. My name is Harry Potter."

Harry was about to offer his hand to Portier too, but he was looking up towards the castle.

"Er, you know Crookshanks?" Harry asked.

"Oh, yes," she replied brightly, "we go way back. I'm so glad he's found some new friends."

"I'll take you to the Headmaster's office," said Harry. "Just let me check that Hermione's okay."

He walked back towards Hermione, who still appeared to be in shock over Crookshanks' sudden and unexpected transformation. She was petting him nervously on the back, but Crookshanks was clearly after some more ear scratching.

Harry obliged and Crookshanks purred loudly.

Harry smiled at Hermione and asked quietly, "Will you be okay while I take these two up to see Dumbledore? He looks safe enough."

Hermione nodded and took over scratching duties. Still kneeling, she had to stretch up to reach his head.

"What on earth has happened to him?" she asked in a timid voice.