Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Accord by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Accord

jardyn39

The Accord

by Jardyn39

Part Five and Conclusion to "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 7 - Fire

Harry sat down next to Hermione having just watched the staff and their visitors file out of the Great Hall. He was shaking badly and his stomach was churning with a mixture of fear and anger.

Everyone was sitting in stunned silence.

Hermione shook Harry roughly to gain his attention.

"Harry, can Dumbledore win the duel?" she asked, not troubling to keep her voice down.

"No. I think he's too distracted."

She sat thinking for a while.

"Can we fight on Dumbledore's side?"

"No. All five of them, including Dumbledore, would be obliged to fight back. We'd have to take all of them on."

They were quiet again. No-one in the hall had stirred.

"We must think of something. The least we can do is show support for him. We should all be there."

*

After a long, restless day, Harry finally got to sleep. He'd tried to get into the dream stadium again, but for the first time was quite unable. He realised that, as Dumbledore had described, he was too worried to get into the right frame of mind.

He dozed for a while but woke late into the night.

He decided to try once again.

Harry closed his eyes and appeared in the centre of the stadium. He looked around and was curious to see an orange glow creeping over the horizon. It was hours before sunrise, so he decided to investigate.

Harry flew high out of the stadium and immediately saw the source of the light.

What looked like a field of fire had gathered in front of the castle. As he got closer, he realised that there were actually many hundreds of individual flames.

In a small clearing, Harry could see Aedon. He made straight for him.

"Evening, Harry," said Aedon cheerfully.

"What are these things?"

"They are called Heliopaths. They exist as spirits of fire."

"Are you going to set them on Dumbledore?"

"Of course not!" said Aedon indignantly. "No, they happened to pass through and I asked them to stand by as a little insurance. If the Accord had refused to accept my challenge I would have had no option but to claim my right by force. They would have fought for me, but as it is, I'm about to send them home again."

"Where is their home?"

"It's through one of the many doors that exist here in the spirit world. I can't pretend I'm sorry to see them go, mind you. They can be a real pain once they get loose in the real world."

Harry nodded, watching as various scuffles were taking place before them.

"Harry, you look tired. You should get some real sleep."

Anger sparked up inside him. At the same time he appeared to lose his grip on the dream world and frustratingly he felt himself being pulled back towards the stadium. He was very tired. Perhaps that was it, he thought.

*

Harry woke again, knowing he would need to calm down to go back. This time he got up and went down to the common room. He was surprised to find the lights still bright and the fire blazing.

He went over and sat next to Hermione. She was sitting in front of the fire, looking deep in thought.

"Hi, Harry," she said, leaning into him. Crookshanks, who was stretched out in front of the fire, jerked his head up but soon relaxed again and closed his eyes.

"Guess what Aedon just showed me?"

"What?"

"An army of Heliopaths. He was just sending them home."

"Where did you speak to him?"

"In the dream world. I've spoken to Aedon a couple of times there now."

"He's there now?"

"Yes, I expect so."

"Harry, you remember we shared that dream with Kales. I was in your dream world, wasn't I?"

"Yes."

"Can you get me there again? I want to speak to Aedon there."

"I think it was Kales who did it. Besides, it could be dangerous."

"Please, Harry."

Harry thought back.

"Well, if you're sure. I need you to relax and concentrate on the dream stadium. It's not the same as the real thing, so remember back to that night. Think of the moment you woke there. You were sleeping at one of the desks."

Hermione nodded and closed her eyes. At the same time she snaked her arms around his chest.

Harry had been worried that he might not have calmed down enough, but he hadn't counted upon the effect that Hermione had on him these days.

*

Harry appeared in the dream stadium, feeling much stronger this time. The pitch was once more covered with a variety of desks and chairs. Right in the middle was Hermione, resting her head on a large open book.

He had no idea why she wanted to speak to Aedon here, but somehow helping her gave him a purpose. Harry quickly made his way over her and then very gently woke her into the dream world.

"Hermione?" he whispered.

Slowly, she woke up.

"You okay?" he asked. Hermione nodded and got to her feet.

"What's that orange light?"

"It looks like the Heliopaths haven't left yet," he explained taking her hand. "Now listen, Hermione. When we get outside the stadium, you are going to feel very tired and weak. Promise me that you will keep hold of my hand the whole time. We must not get lost here. Tell me at once if anything's wrong."

She nodded uncertainly.

"Do you want to walk or fly?"

"Let's try walking. If it takes too long or I get too tired, we can fly."

"Okay, come on then."

*

"I think I was wrong," said Harry as they got closer. "There are definitely a lot less Heliopaths than there were."

It took them some time to get to where Aedon was standing. He was talking animatedly to the few remaining Heliopaths. There were only about six left by the time they reached him.

"Hello, Aedon," said Harry. "This is Hermione. She wanted a word."

"Hi," began Aedon cheerfully until he saw Hermione properly. "You aren't supposed to be here, are you?"

"Perhaps not," she admitted, "but I have to talk to you."

The remaining Heliopaths had gathered together and were apparently listening carefully. They moved a few feet away.

Harry busied himself thinking calming thoughts. It would not do to get pulled away now.

"So, how can I help you?" asked Aedon.

"Why must you fight Dumbledore? We need him in the fight against Voldemort."

"Yes, he's become rather distracted with him, I know. I suppose that's the point. The secrets that the Accord guards are too important to allow such distractions. If Dumbledore is vulnerable, the Accord is weakened."

"Why not help to defeat Voldemort first?"

"That would just weaken me. I must admit, though, I'm no Voldemort supporter."

"But you are prepared to kill the one man he's been scared of for all these years?" shouted Hermione angrily, taking a couple of steps forward. Harry had to struggle to keep hold of her hand. Just for an instant, he thought he could see a flash of the life-force that emanated from her during her sleep.

Suddenly the Heliopaths became agitated.

"Please," demanded Aedon, his attention drawn back to the Heliopaths. "You must go. This place is too dangerous for you both. Please just go!"

Harry pulled Hermione away. He quickly held her tight around the waist and flew straight back to the stadium. Before they flew down to the pitch, Harry glanced back. All the flames were gone now. He was thankful that at least Aedon had sent all the Heliopaths away.

*

They woke together back in the common room as they had left, with Hermione's arm wrapped across his chest and Harry's arms both held around her.

The fire was the merest glowing embers now and the lamps were turned down low.

Hermione was shaking. Harry wasn't sure at first if was from rage or fear of the flight they'd just shared.

"Harry?" she asked shakily.

He immediately held her tightly, gently tiling his head down so his lips met her forehead.

"Does it always feel like that, when you go into the dream world?"

"Well, to be honest I've always felt fine, although very tired sometimes. Kales said the Apprentice Piece gave me access, so maybe it protects me as well. Can you describe what you're feeling?"

Hermione took a moment to respond.

"It felt very strange the moment we stepped outside the Stadium. It got much worse the longer we stayed. At first it was just like I didn't really belong. No," she corrected herself, "it was more like part of me was missing."

"How about now?" Harry asked gently, stroking her back.

"I'm feeling better now, thanks."

They sat huddled together until dawn.

*

As the sun broke through the common room windows, Harry and Hermione parted to shower and change for the day. They hadn't slept at all, both being far too worried.

Harry had been reluctant to let her go but Hermione was determined to be there early and show support for Dumbledore. He also suspected she didn't want the embarrassment of being caught, having stayed down in the common room all night with Harry.

Having finally started his way upstairs, Harry hurried himself to get ready.

Keeping busy doing something, anything, helped keep his mind from thinking about what was going to happen today. Even so, he kept stopping and dwelling on the times he and Dumbledore had shared.

He was the first to arrive back down in the common room, but he found it crowded upon his return. Many people were up early today. The whole room had a sullen, depressed feel.

Harry's spirits were raised slightly when Hermione at last reappeared after almost everyone else was assembled ready to leave.

She came down the stairs from the dormitories looking deep in thought.

As soon as she saw him she moved quickly across the room and hugged him. It was the first time she'd ever done anything like that, and no-one appeared to notice at all.

After a long moment, she took a deep breath.

She sniffed and drew away from him. Wiping her teary eyes, she said, "Enough of this. We must be strong for him."

Harry smiled sadly and nodded.

"Crookshanks?" she barked suddenly. A close throaty growl answered. "Come on, let's see if we can't find you a lion to eat."

Harry glanced at Ron who was clearly wondering if she was serious. Hermione had departed up to the girls' dormitories looking quite lost. Clearly in the short time she had taken to get ready, something had occurred to her.

Harry followed Hermione and Crookshanks out through the portrait hole.

All of Gryffindor followed.

*

As they marched through the entrance hall, Harry saw that the Great Hall looked entirely empty. They exited out the main doors and descended the steps. Outside were the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs, apparently milling about waiting for something to happen.

Harry felt a pang in his stomach when he realised the Slytherins were absent.

Hermione marched right through the crowd, Crookshanks padding along by her side and Harry hurrying to keep up.

The school followed her down to the clear area of grass where only the night before, in the dream world, they had spoken to Aedon.

"Show yourselves!" she shouted angrily at the top of her voice. "NOW!"

Crookshanks ran ahead and clawed the air with a snarl. Clearly he could sense something was there.

Suddenly Portier appeared, staggering backwards. For a moment he looked rather scared as Crookshanks approached him again, now sure of where his target was. The playful, attention seeking Crookshanks was gone now. Every aspect of his muscular form shouted menace, from sharp claws to deadly teeth.

Portier transformed quickly into his lion form. Soon the two animals were face to face, growling loudly.

At that moment Flamel, Clura and Aedon appeared. It was as if each had stepped through an invisibility curtain. They stood facing Hermione, each about twenty feet apart, as she marched towards them. Had Portier not ran, they would have formed a perfect square.

"Dumbledore, show yourself!" demanded Hermione, sounding furious now.

"Calm yourself, Hermione," said Dumbledore's disembodied voice.

She stopped at last and Harry caught up to her, his wand held ready.

Dumbledore appeared in front of them, smiling indulgently.

"I will not," she managed to say through gritted teeth.

The other three approached Dumbledore while Portier was still somewhat preoccupied with Crookshanks.

"Hermione, you know we are obliged to prevent any interference," said Flamel gently, looking concerned.

Hermione stared at Dumbledore and said coldly, "Brace yourselves for some interference then. I may not be able to prevent your stupidity, but at least I might make you regret your actions."

The sound of Crookshanks tearing into Portier did not distract her.

Clura gave a contemptuous huff and said, "Fine, have it your way," as he withdrew her sword and lunged forward. Harry hit her with a quick barrage of spells and curses that threw her several feet away.

Transforming into her wolf form and obviously furious, she ran back towards them. Harry stepped out in front of Hermione and braced himself. He was conscious that if he got too involved with the fight with Clura, he might miss an attack from one of the others. Hermione stood firm.

At the last moment, Crookshanks pounced and intercepted Clura. The two animals continued fighting furiously. Harry had no idea where Portier was.

Harry quickly turned his attention back to the remaining three. He felt sure neither Dumbledore nor Flamel would ever hurt Hermione, but neither of them was above some non-lethal jinx. Aedon was a different matter. Harry had no idea what he was capable of. If he had no fear of Dumbledore, he must be powerful.

Harry quickly moved to place himself between Hermione and Aedon.

He had decided to attack at any sign of aggression, and he would attack any of them. He would prefer to wait for them to start something, but these sorcerers were just too powerful to take chances with.

Hermione was still staring angrily at Dumbledore, but still hadn't taken out her wand.

Harry felt this was good. If she was unarmed they might be even less inclined to attack.

He quickly scanned the others again. Flamel and Dumbledore hadn't moved at all.

Harry hoped they didn't decide to become invisible again. He didn't fancy their chances fighting an invisible duel, especially as his cloak was safely back in his trunk.

It struck him that if he could think this fast and clearly when he wasn't in these situations, his schoolwork might get a little better. He just about caught on that the Apprentice Piece was helping him move considerably faster than usual, when he was distracted by Aedon.

Had Aedon turned towards Hermione, Harry would have attacked him instantly. But he didn't. Aedon turned ever so slowly away from Hermione.

For some reason he was looking up into the sky, looking worried.

Harry looked up, squinting into the morning sun.

Time, for Harry, returned to normal.

It began as a faintest orange and yellow mark in the blue sky.

Then what looked like liquid fire appeared to fall from it like a waterfall. As the fire pooled over the ground underneath and the flow increased dramatically, Harry realised it was the Heliopaths.

Aedon marched angrily towards them, shouting indistinct orders at them. It looked like he was trying to send them back.

Suddenly he was engulfed by fire. He briefly emerged again to shout back, "They are after the Guardian! They know who she is!"

"Crookshanks, enough," ordered Dumbledore loudly. "Protect Hermione, leave Clura and Portier to fight with us."

Instantly, Crookshanks disengaged and ran back to Hermione. A rather dishevelled looking Clura reappeared and, together with Portier, joined Dumbledore and Flamel as they walked in line towards the Heliopath army which looked like a continuous wall of flame.

Harry could feel the heat from where he stood.

"See you later," he said with a grin as he rushed forward to join the four Accord members.

Harry could see Aedon still fighting inside the flames. He had no idea how many there were now, but the scorched grass was extending wider, and wider.

The five of them spread out, as did the Heliopaths who were clearly trying to get around their flanks on both sides in an attempt to get to Hermione.

Harry realised that although these creatures hovered just above the ground, they could not fly as such. This gave him some comfort, although the fact that they were outnumbered by several hundred to one weighed heavily.

Aedon ran back to the line next to Harry.

"Harry, ice and water producing spells will slow them down but can't banish them," he shouted. "To finish them they actually need to be overheated. Weird, I know. Aim for their chests, where the flame is brightest. They won't actually die, but they will be pulled back to their world when they lose their grip here."

Harry nodded. The Heliopaths were moving quickly now.

"Move back!" ordered Flamel. "We need to form a tighter circle. There are too many to hold them off the flanks."

Harry walked backwards, occasionally firing practise spells to take out a few stragglers.

Soon, they had been pushed back to where Hermione stood with Crookshanks. He was beginning to get agitated now. Harry knew how he felt. They were now completely surrounded by fire.

The Heliopaths began to make a noise. Harry realised they were singing. He glanced back to Hermione. She looked quite mesmerised and began to walk out of the protective circle.

Harry was about to go to her when Crookshanks intervened. There was no way he was going to let her anywhere near these creatures.

"They will rush us all at once," shouted Aedon. "Any moment now."

Then they came.

The flaming creatures came in wave after wave. Harry had no idea how many spells he'd cast. The heat was intense, made hotter when each Heliopath was banished and exploded into more flame.

Gradually, Harry began to make out shapes through the flames. It was a while before he realised what was happening.

The Heliopaths were thinning out, although Harry couldn't see how. Even the extraordinary rate of firing from the six of them in the circle could have done no more than hold off the hoards of flaming spirits.

Then he realised. Everyone from the school had surrounded the Heliopaths and penned them in. They had no escape and had been fighting on both sides.

As Neville expertly finished off the very last Heliopath, an enormous cheer went up.

*

Harry hurried back to Hermione. Tears were streaming down her face. She was red, perhaps a little burnt but otherwise okay. Crookshanks was busy licking his wounds.

Dumbledore came over and poured ice cold water from the end of his wand, drenching Crookshanks. The cat roared with pleasure.

"Looks like we got House unity after all, Hermione," said Harry gently.

She nodded, falling into his arms. Harry grinned as he looked around. Everyone, including all the Slytherins, had come to help.

Aedon came over to them.

"What did you call me earlier?" asked Hermione.

"Quite a few things actually," he replied with a smile. "Let's see, I think there was big-mouth, trouble-maker, opinionated and bossy-boots."

"No, you called me Guardian."

"Well, Aedon," interrupted Dumbledore, "that was an interesting interlude. Shall we continue?"

"Why not?"

"What?" shouted Hermione, pushing herself away from Harry.