Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Accord by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Accord

jardyn39

The Accord

by Jardyn39

Part Five and Conclusion to "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 6 - Aedon

Everyone arrived early for breakfast, including the staff. Dumbledore escorted Nicholas Flamel, Clura and Portier up to the main table a little later.

The meteor was now clearly visible even in the bright daylight. It was incredibly distracting, and everyone kept glancing up. Most people had half forgotten breakfast in front of them.

Harry was pleased to see that Flamel looked much better now, and was chatting happily to Professor Flitwick. He wondered how he could be so calm, knowing that shortly he would be fighting, possibly for his life.

Hermione sat down between Neville and Harry.

"How's Perenelle?" Harry asked.

"Very upset. Nicholas has made her promise not to interfere. She's torn between wanting to show her support and not wanting to see Nicholas hurt. I also think she's afraid of breaking her word if Nicholas looses. I've left Luna and Ron with her for now."

Harry had already decided what he was going to do.

"I'm just going for a walk," he said casually and exchanged a nod with Neville. He had asked Neville to stay with Hermione for the morning, as well as provide a distraction while he made his escape.

*

Marvelling that he'd managed to get away unhindered by Hermione, Harry hurried outside. He was sorry to leave her alone, especially as she was so worried about Nicholas and Perenelle.

He headed straight for their favorite beech tree by the lake.

The ground was damp, but that couldn't be helped. Today, he needed to be in two places at once.

He closed his eyes and concentrated, willing himself into the dream world. For a moment he wondered whether he would be too worried to make the transition, as Dumbledore had been.

It gave him an odd chill to realise he was actually quite calm and relaxed. His resolve was helping, certainly. But Harry couldn't help but wonder if, once again, his darker side was beginning to resurface.

He quickly dismissed this thought from his mind.

*

Harry ran out of the Quidditch stadium and headed for the camp site in front of the castle entrance.

There he found a familiar looking man packing up his things.

"Good morning," said Harry, coming to a stop.

The man looked up in mild surprise, but then he smiled.

"Morning," he replied. "I'm afraid there's not much coffee left, but you'd be welcome to half a cup."

"No thanks, I'm good," replied Harry. He had no idea he could drink in the dream world. Perhaps, he thought, if the drink was conjured in the dream world then it might be possible.

"Um, I'm afraid I didn't introduce myself before. My name's Harry. Harry Potter."

The man stood and held out his hand.

"Hello, Harry," he said smiling as they shook hands. "My name is Aedon."

Harry smiled back. He'd guessed correctly.

"Nice meteor."

"Thanks, but the landing can be painful."

"Er, I don't want to cause offence, but I know you're here to make a challenge," said Harry. "Nicholas Flamel has been unwell recently and I'd like you to postpone your challenge. If you won't agree, then I will challenge you instead."

Aedon burst out laughing, but quickly stopped himself. Harry waited calmly. He would not allow himself to be riled by this man. Evidently he realised Harry's mood though.

"I'm not laughing at you, I promise," said Aedon, holding up a hand while he composed himself.

"Take a seat, Harry. I need to explain," he said eventually.

They sat and Aedon stoked up the fire.

"First of all, yes, I'm here to make a challenge. I'm sorry if Nicholas has been unwell, I've been out of touch for some time. Tell me, where are you now?"

"I'm down by the lake," Harry said, pointing.

"Do Nicholas or Dumbledore know you've come to challenge me?"

"No, nobody knows."

"Harry, the mere fact that you're here tells me that you are a worthy challenger. The fact that you are speaking to me and not trying to kill me, is also quite encouraging."

"Well, to be honest I thought I'd have to fight you in the waking world, not here."

"That's true," Aedon admitted. "But at least you're thinking along the right lines."

"Are you really going to give Clura and Portier the upper hand? Do you think you'll be able to control them?"

"How do you know I'm not controlling them now?" Aedon countered.

Harry frowned.

"Well, alright," Aedon admitted, "I'm not. I've no idea what they've been up to."

"Creating disunity and dissent mostly," Harry replied flatly.

"The usual, then. Harry, do you really know what you're getting yourself into?"

"Probably not. Dumbledore is worried about what will happen if you become a member of the four. He just told me you'd all be tempted to tickle the dragon."

"That's an interesting way to put it," Aedon said smiling. "Hey, look! I'm coming in to land. Looks like I'm a bit off course."

Harry looked in horror as the fireball headed directly for the Great Hall.

Just as it was about to make impact, there a loud noise. It was like a deep gong. The fireball bounced upwards again and flew out and over them towards the lake.

"Sorry, Harry. I've got to go. See you in a minute."

*

Harry woke just as an enormous splash of lake water drenched him from head to toe.

He got up just as Aedon emerged from the lake.

"Sorry about that," said Aedon apologetically. "Let's go up to the castle, shall we?"

As they squelched towards the entrance, Harry pleaded with him again.

"Please don't do this."

"It wouldn't be polite not to say hello, would it?"

"I meant what I said," said Harry seriously.

*

As Harry expected, Aedon had no problems at all climbing the steps to the castle. He followed Aedon into the Great Hall and up to the staff table at the front. Whispered and scared looks preceded their every move.

Dumbledore stood.

"Welcome, Aedon," he said conjuring two large fluffy towels and handing them to him. "Would you like to clean up properly?"

"No thanks," said Aedon smiling widely and handing one of the towels to Harry. Harry wiped his face quickly and dropped the towel to the floor, his wand held ready.

Aedon took his time to dry his face and Dumbledore waited patiently.

"Thanks for that," said Aedon. "Sorry if I gave everyone a scare. I wasn't aiming for the castle."

"Indeed," agreed Dumbledore with a cold smile. "Sometimes one's aims can be misguided."

"May we proceed?"

"Of course, unless you would like some breakfast first?"

"No thanks. Are you prepared to receive my challenge?"

"We are," replied all four members flatly.

"Young Harry here fully intends to intervene. He wishes to challenge me first."

"No, Harry," said Flamel kindly. "If you, or anyone, were to intervene, then all four of us would be obliged to fight against you in defence of Aedon. No quarter would be given."

Harry stood resolute.

Aedon turned to Harry and asked, "What would be gained? This is one fight you cannot win, even if you killed me."

"Please, Harry," asked Dumbledore gently.

Harry nodded. Through his anger he knew Aedon was right. At one time he would have fought anyway, but not now. He swore to himself he would find another way.

"Okay," said Aedon brightly. "If there are no objections we'll duel out on the front lawns."

Flamel stood and said, "I'm sorry to be a stickler for the rules."

"No, not at all," said Aedon with a small bow.

"Well, there has to be a twenty-four hour period of preparation between the challenge being made and the actual combat."

"Great, I'd like a chance to get dry!"

"The other thing concerns the challenge. You haven't actually made one yet."

"Sorry about that. In that case, I formally challenge you, Dumbledore, for membership of the Accord. That do?"

"What?" blurted out Harry.

He was in total shock, as looked Flamel and Clura. Portier looked surprised but quite delighted. Dumbledore looked totally impassive. Harry was sure he'd been expecting something like this.