Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Accord by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Accord

jardyn39

The Accord

by Jardyn39

Part Five and Conclusion to "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 3 - The Accord

At morning break Harry and Hermione made their way up to the Headmaster's office. Ever since they had been summoned, Hermione had been worried that Crookshanks might have got them into trouble after the morning's excitement. Harry privately wondered if he had managed to eat Malfoy for breakfast after all.

As they passed the History of Magic classroom, they realised that the lesson had overrun again. This was often by popular demand. They grinned at each other as a particularly loud scream marked the end of the lesson and Perenelle appeared with a satisfied smile.

"Going up to Dumbledore's office?"

"Yes," replied Hermione as Harry glanced into the classroom.

They hadn't quite recovered yet.

*

Harry knocked on the door to Dumbledore's office and stepped aside to allow Hermione and Perenelle to enter as soon as the door opened.

Hermione rushed forward as soon as she saw Nicholas. He was wrapped in blankets, perched on a chair directly in front of the roaring fire. He looked up and smiled warmly.

"My Dears," he said shakily, offering his hands out.

Hermione dropped down in front of him and asked gently, "How are you?"

"I'm fine. Just a chill."

"Why aren't you in bed at home, recovering properly?" she asked.

"Because he's a stupid old fool, that's why," said Perenelle as she bent and kissed him.

Harry smiled, trying to hide his concern as Perenelle fussed over his blankets. Hermione shot a dark look at Dumbledore. Clearly she thought Flamel was in no condition to make house calls.

"My Dear," Nicholas said gently, "I had to come. Albus wanted me to stay at home."

Hermione stood and looking a little embarrassed, said, "I'm sorry," to Dumbledore. He smiled and nodded.

"Please, all of you, take a seat."

Harry and Hermione sat, but Perenelle continued to stand by Nicholas, her hands resting on his shoulders.

"I wanted to warn you," began Dumbledore, "to be cautious around our new visitors. Please do not tell them anything about Harry's charm, the Apprentice Piece or Kales."

Harry and Hermione both nodded.

"In addition, neither of you are to undertake any Prefect patrol without company. Even when you are out together for your evening rounds I must insist upon you taking at least two others with you. On no account will you move around alone. Promise me that you will skip a patrol if, for any reason, you can't get cover."

"Of course, but why?" asked Hermione.

"Our current visitors are dangerous, but they are nowhere near as dangerous as the third visitor we expect to receive shortly. Aedon is the reason poor Nicholas has come from his sick bed."

"I'm sorry, but I don't understand," said Hermione.

"Albus, Clura, Portier and myself are the four members of an Accord. That is, we form a kind of covenresponsible for the protective wards that guard Hogwarts. At any one time there are four members of varying ages. In times past, it was considered important that the four consisted only of the strongest and most powerful sorcerers. Any member of the four could be challenged at any time. However, for many years now, a successor has been chosen and nominated by a retiring member. Of the four of us, only I won my place through combat. The others were all nominated."

"So, this Aedon wants to challenge you?"

"That is his right."

"But that's unfair," protested Harry. "Why can't he wait until you are well?"

Nicholas smiled and said, "It's the rule, and besides, I am weak now. I'm sure the founders would not have approved of my remaining a member of the Accord."

*

"Don't look at me like that," said Hermione, pouring some medicine from a gallon sized green bottle onto a large spoon. "It's your own fault."

Crookshanks was sprawled out on the rug in front of the common room fire, making pitiful moaning noises.

"It's no use moaning," she continued. "Hagrid said you ate two whole sides of beef. It's no wonder you've got indigestion. Now, come on. Decide. You can either take the foul tasting medicine or continue to suffer. It's up to you, but I'm fed up waiting for you to decide."

She again offered the spoon up to his mouth.

Rather reluctantly, Crookshanks held his head up and lapped up the ghastly liquid. He shuddered at the taste.

"Good boy," she said soothingly. "Only three more spoonfuls to go."

*

Neville and Ginny volunteered to join Harry and Hermione on their evening patrol of the corridors. Harry had agreed that they would patrol as a group rather than in pairs. Harry wasn't too bothered that this made the rounds take a little longer, but his was distinctly miffed when he realised there would be no opportunity for he and Hermione to make their usual stop-off in their favourite empty classroom.

Ginny was just asking Hermione how big Crookshanks' litter tray would have to be expanded, when Harry whispered for them to be quiet.

"Something moved down that corridor," he whispered urgently, moving quickly to follow.

"Is this a good idea?" whispered Hermione as the three of them hurried to keep up with Harry.

Harry reached the end of the corridor and peered around the corner. He couldn't see anything out of place but decided to wait in case they were hiding.

He heard the others come closer.

"Is Crookshanks out tonight?" he asked in a whisper, still looking forward.

"No, he's still recovering."

"Them I'm pretty sure that we're following Portier."

"Harry, remember what Dumbledore said," breathed Hermione, barely audibly.

"Stay here," Harry ordered before creeping out around the corner. Keeping low, he descended the staircase.

Just as he rounded the half-landing and peered over the balcony, he saw it. He'd been wrong. It was the wolf they'd been following. He wondered why Clura was out this late.

Harry made to continue down the stairs, but before he got two steps there was a dull bang and three muffled cries.

Harry turned and rushed back to the others. To his horror he found the three of them where he'd left them, unconscious on the corridor floor.

There was no sign of an attacker. He checked each of them for a pulse before summoning help.

*

Harry left the Hospital Wing at around one o'clock in the morning, having accepted Madam Pomfrey's repeated assurances that Hermione, Ginny and Neville would be alright after a good night's rest.

By the time he reached the Headmaster's office he was in a towering temper.

Fortunately the door opened before he kicked it in. He hadn't thought to knock.

Dumbledore was sitting at his desk and before him stood Clura and Portier.

Harry marched in and demanded, "Why did you attack them?"

Portier just gave him a disdainful look and said, "I refuse listen to unsubstantiated allegations from a child, Dumbledore."

Turning towards Harry, so that Dumbledore could not see, Portier's expression turned into a distinct sneer.

Harry, adapting the pushing techniques taught him by the late Professor Harbinger, lifted Portier clear off the floor.

He turned to Clura and said, "I saw you. I was following you when you were in your wolf form."

"So?" said Portier. "I just felt like taking a walk. I know Portier's a pain, but he's turning blue."

This didn't concern Harry at that point.

"Clura, a moment ago you were claiming to be in your rooms all night," Dumbledore said, sounding calmer than he looked. "You also provided an alibi for Portier, something you were clearly in no position to do. Harry, please release him a moment."

Portier fell heavily to the floor, with Harry giving gravity a helping hand.

Portier gasped and fell into a chair, clutching his leg with one hand and his throat with the other.

"I'm afraid I don't believe that you are innocent in this matter, Portier."

"Prove it," spat Portier.

"For the moment that will have to wait," replied Dumbledore. "You may leave now. Know this though, when I find sufficient evidence, whoever attacked my students should expect to pay a high price. I will not tolerate such behaviour under any circumstances."

They said nothing further but Portier hobbled from the room leaning heavily on Clura.

Dumbledore and Harry were quiet for a long time after the door closed behind them.

"Don't be too hard on yourself, Harry," Dumbledore said eventually.

"Don't be too hard on myself?" repeated Harry angrily, collapsing into a chair and running his hands through his hair.

"Not only did I show those," he struggled to find a suitable adjective, "people, something Harbinger taught me, I also nearly killed him. I could feel his throat. I wanted to crush him, kill him. It's getting harder to resist."

"I know," said Dumbledore gently.

"Why did they do it?"

"I don't have any proof that they did anything. However, they had quite a strong motive. I believe they were trying to provoke a reaction. Of course, they expected me to react, not you."

"You didn't see anything in the dream state, then?"

"No, Harry, I wasn't out patrolling when the incident happened."

Harry shrugged and looked up. It would have been a remote chance anyway.

Dumbledore looked uneasy.

"Is anything the matter?"

"Yes, Harry, I'm afraid there is," he replied sombrely. "Ever since Clura and Portier turned up, I've been quite unable to enter and travel in the dream world."

"Do you know why?"

"Yes. I'm sure you, of all people, will appreciate that if one has enough to worry about, then eventually you can think of nothing else. You will be beginning to appreciate the mental state you need to be in. It's a kind of meditation. Unfortunately, I've been unable to achieve that state."

"You've had quite a lot to be worried about lately," said Harry understandingly.

Dumbledore nodded sadly.

"You see, I never approved of Clura and Portier being appointed to the Accord in the first place. They were powerful, perhaps too powerful. I believed they lacked compassion. Unfortunately, I had no right to challenge them provided the retiring member nominated them. Since I wasn't prepared to murder them, we were stuck."

"Who would nominate them to protect a school?"

"Well, although Hogwarts enjoys the protections maintained by the Accord, it isn't the main reason those protections are there. Indeed, Hogwarts now has many wards that are quite independent of the Accord."

"Will Aedon win when he challenges Flamel?"

"Even if he were well, Nicholas would no longer be strong enough."

"What will they gain if Aedon replaced Flamel as a member?"

"Nothing, unless the three of them decided to act together against me. I could not stand against all three of them."

Harry frowned and asked, "What if that happened?"

"In the short term, Hogwarts would be vulnerable. In the longer term, the wizarding world in this country would end."

"How?"

"I am sworn not to reveal that. Let's just say, they would be tempted to tickle the dragon."

"The school motto," thought Harry.

"Um, Sir? I hate to ask this," said Harry uncertainly. "But, have you considered nominating a successor. I mean, could they challenge Clura or Portier to shift the balance?"

Dumbledore smiled and shook his head.

"Clura and Portier are very powerful. I don't believe they could be challenged right now. However, I have considered my nomination."

"Who is it? Can't they help at all?"

Dumbledore coughed lightly and said, "Nicholas thought I was quite mad when I suggested him. Clura and Portier have no idea, of course, but my nomination was Aedon himself."

"What?" asked Harry incredulously.

"When you meet him, you may understand."