Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Accord by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Accord

jardyn39

Fmy adviceThe Accord

by Jardyn39

Part Five and Conclusion to "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 8 - A Little Predicament

"How stupid can you people be?" yelled Hermione. "Listen, it's really very simple. I'll explain. Only by standing together can you defeat the dark side. If you fight amongst yourselves, you can never win."

"Actually, Heliopaths aren't actually dark," said Aedon as he assumed his position. "They can be quite friendly most of the time."

This comment didn't seem to improve Hermione's temper.

"Excuse my interruption," said Flamel. "Aedon, would you mind explaining how you knew that Hermione was, er, in danger."

"Not at all. The Heliopaths told me who she was. They saw her last night. Couldn't resist coming to say hello, I expect. Stupid really, since all they could do here would be to burn her to ashes."

Flamed raised his eyebrows at him.

"Oh, come on, Nicholas," complained Aedon. "Give me a break!"

"Nicholas, what is it?" asked Clura.

"Ah," said Dumbledore gently, as if understanding.

Aedon swore loudly and pointed angrily at Dumbledore. "This is the last time, right?"

Dumbledore smiled and lowered his wand.

"I yield," said Aedon through clenched teeth. "Happy now?"

"Aedon," said Dumbledore gently, "I wish to nominate you to take my place on the Accord. You will assume membership when I die or when I advise the others of my retirement."

Aedon looked down, and said quietly, "Thank you. I'll be leaving now."

Flamel coughed lightly and looked up to the sky, clearing reminding Aedon of something. He was wearing a small but rather mischievous smile.

Harry seriously wondered if Aedon was just going to go over to Flamel and punch him. Instead, he turned abruptly and faced Hermione.

He paused for a moment, clearly choosing his words carefully.

"I called you a Guardian before," he admitted. "Nicholas, Albus and Harry here are probably the only ones who know, so let's keep this to ourselves."

"Actually, Fides and Kales know as well," added Harry, now beginning to recover. It had taken a while for him to accept that Aedon really had yielded and he wouldn't have to intervene to protect Hermione again.

"Plus a few hundred thousand Heliopaths," chipped in Dumbledore casually.

"Right. Just the few of us then," continued Aedon. "Now, on no account are you to go wandering around the dream world until you are ready. You have to be properly invited."

Flamel made another light cough.

"That is to say," corrected Aedon, "I would respectfully request that you abstain for the present."

"So, what am I supposed to be a Guardian of?"

"It's a secret," said Aedon so quietly he was almost inaudible. He was also making an effort not to move his lips as he spoke.

"But if you don't tell me, I might reveal it without knowing I had!"

"Doubtful, said Aedon normally. "You haven't been given the, er, it, thing yet. You won't technically become the Guardian until then."

"Tell her, Aedon," said Flamel gently.

"I'm getting there, Nicholas," he replied shortly.

"What Nicholas thinks I should hurry up and tell you, is that I'm sworn to protect the Guardian. Not you, the Guardian. I'm not the only one either. By placing you in danger, even though I didn't know I had done so, I demonstrated that I'm not ready to challenge for the Accord yet. That's why I yielded."

"Gosh," said Hermione. "Um, so when will this happen?"

"Who knows? I'm betting you'll be a mad old cat lady before you are called. You've made quite a good start already," he added as Crookshanks rubbed his cheeks against Aedon's legs.

*

The impromptu celebration feast that began mid-morning, transformed effortlessly into a party that eventually petered out late into the evening.

Harry, Hermione and Crookshanks though, spent much of the time walking around the grounds. Hermione was clearly relieved that everyone was okay, but understandably somewhat troubled about the Heliopaths.

Early in the evening they had called at Hagrid's house, but he wasn't in. Presumably he was out celebrating too.

They decided to go back to the castle and were on their way up to Gryffindor Tower when Crookshanks took them on a short detour that ended at the concealed entrance to the kitchen.

After Hermione gave Crookshanks several warnings to behave, they ventured inside.

Fortunately, the house elves were delighted to serve them with two light suppers and a haunch of beef.

They had almost finished their meals when the kitchen door opened again and Albus Dumbledore came through.

"I was hoping to bump into you," he said smiling and taking a seat opposite them at the long table.

"Um, Sir," began Hermione. "I'm really sorry for the way I spoke to you earlier."

"Thank you, Hermione, but please don't let that concern you."

"Sir, am I really a Guardian?"

"You will be, one day."

"But what will I be a Guardian of?"

"I honestly have no idea. Harry knows as much as I, I'm afraid."

"Fides said that one day you would be told a Truth," said Harry, "but he wouldn't say any more."

Hermione sighed.

"I still don't understand why Aedon yielded to you, not that I'm not glad he did, of course," said Hermione.

"I'm sure he will tell you the full story one day," said Dumbledore. "He actually swore an allegiance to a previous Guardian when she spared his life."

"Was this Guardian related to me then?"

"Oh, no. This kind of thing can't be inherited. I'd really recommend that you just wait and see. You may find the actual revelation to be something of an anti-climax. I have known three Guardians in my lifetime, although none are alive today. One of them actually wanted to ask for another Truth, because hers wasn't impressive enough."

Harry snorted, wondering if Dumbledore was having them on.

"Nicholas and Perenelle have left already. Perenelle won't be continuing as a revision tutor unfortunately. I think today's events have shaken her a little, especially as their Elixir is now all used. Clura and Portier will leave tomorrow. I've no idea where Aedon is. Probably off drinking with Hagrid."

The sound of crunching bones drew their attention back over to Crookshanks who looked like he was thoroughly enjoying his supper.

Dumbledore discretely placed a small blue bottle on the table. Harry and Hermione turned back to him.

"I have a small confession," said Dumbledore sheepishly.

"You changed Crookshanks?" asked Hermione incredulously.

"No, but I certainly helped. You see, Crookshanks once lived with Clura and Portier. Many years ago they transfigured him into a form that was more robust. Their household was, and probably still is, in somewhat of a turmoil. Large as he is now, he was probably their smallest pet. I've no evidence that he was ever mistreated, as such, but I'm sure he's much happier now. Somehow, upon seeing them again, he appears to have remembered his old form."

"So Clura and Portier were coming over to see Crookshanks," said Harry. "I thought they were after Hermione for some reason."

"No, I don't believe they had any idea Crookshanks was here," said Dumbledore. "Anyway, I asked Professor Snape to produce a Potion to delay his return to his smaller, natural form. I explained the matter to Crookshanks and he drank the potion. Obviously, he agreed he would be far better equipped to protect you.

"Thank you for not grilling Hagrid, by the way. I'm sure he would have told you everything he knew," Dumbledore added with a smile.

"Well, he was rather evasive when I spoke to him," said Hermione. "I would have pushed him further but he was just as worried as the rest of us."

"The Potion will wear off eventually," continued Dumbledore, "but this restorative potion will complete the job overnight. It will also ensure a less painful transformation for Crookshanks and he should get a good night's rest as well. Professor Snape assures me that it will deal with whatever he's eaten this evening as well. Unfortunately, it probably tastes worse than his indigestion medicine."

Hermione took the bottle and nodded.

"Thanks. I'm almost sorry he'll be changing back," she said sadly.

"Most people will," Dumbledore replied smiling. "However, we must think of Mr Malfoy's nerves, especially as he helped this morning as well."

"Sir, why did the Heliopaths want to say hello, and how did they recognise me?"

Dumbledore sighed but smiled slightly.

"I suppose it was too much to hope you'd drop the matter, wasn't it?"

Hermione waited expectantly.

"I do have a theory," he began gently, "only a theory. I suspect that they recognised you the same way that Lily's remarkable letter recognised you. In the same way we see Heliopaths as spirits of fire, I expect they see us in similar terms."

"I thought I saw your aura flash when you got angry with Aedon," added Harry.

"My aura?"

"Yes, Hermione," continued Dumbledore. "Every living thing has an aura that can sometimes be seen in the dream world. I can't actually see them, but Harry can see some."

"Something about my aura got their attention?"

Harry nodded, remembering how extraordinarily bright Hermione's aura had been when she slept.

"It was just my aura?" asked Hermione doubtfully. "Who can I ask to get some more specific information?"

"Lily may have left some information in her letter. Unfortunately it may take you many years to learn how to access anything remotely helpful. Indeed, your own mother might provide more immediate help. Her theory of how you got the letter is actually rather plausible."

Harry thought back to the time he and Hermione had joined Lupin and her parents for dinner after reading his mother's letters for the first time. He'd wondered at the time what they'd found to speak about all day.

"How would Harry's Mum know about this?"

"She was herself a Guardian, although sadly she never had the opportunity to learn her Truth. I like to think she would have known it anyway. You see, these Truths tend to be universal."

"You can become a Guardian before learning the secret?"

"Apparently. Fides only told me recently and he didn't go into details. Unspeakables can be annoying like that."

"How do I get to see him?"

"He will never allow you to see him before you are ready. You will be called when it is time."

"Harry visited him," she said defiantly. "There must be a way to make the lift go all the way down to those levels again."

"The lift at the Ministry of Magic does not go down that far. I promise you, it's solid rock."

"But Harry-"

"-Went on a slight detour," interrupted Dumbledore.

He held up his hands to interrupt her questioning.

"Hermione," he said gently, "you should not have learned anything about this for perhaps many years. Had Harry's Apprentice Piece not chosen him, you would not have. I've wondered lately, whether it was actually the other way around though."

Harry frowned slightly, wondering what Dumbledore meant.

"That's why I dreamt of the dragon. Kales, I mean," continued Hermione.

"Kales actually saw something quite different in you, but yes."

Dumbledore stood.

"Aedon was right Hermione. The dream world is a very dangerous place for you. In the waking world, a dancing flame can appear quite alive and mesmerising. In the dream world, the opposite is true. That is, a life that dances and shines brightly in the real world, one that is ready and able to bear a truth, any truth, will mesmerise those that dwell in the dream world.

"Kales saw your flame. The things you love and fight for in this world may be invisible here, but they shine like a beacon in the dream world. You will never see such wonders, of course.

"My advice is that you leave the dreaming to Harry. All this nonsense about Guardians and Mystical Truths is not for you.

"Remember, just as Harry can fly in his dream world, you will learn to fly here. He doesn't need a broom there, and you won't here either. It will take many years before Harry can move confidently around his world, and you can expect the same.

"Well, I'm going back to the staff party. I wonder if I could persuade Severus to join me for a Karaoke duet? Good night to you both."

"'Night," said Harry quietly as he left.

Dumbledore was gone before Hermione shook herself from her thoughts and shouted, "Goodnight, Professor!" as the door closed.

"So where do you want to start?" asked Harry with a grin. "Astronomy Tower would give you a good height but it's probably a bit busy tonight."

"What, Harry?"

"Dumbledore said you would fly without a broom. You need to practice."

"Um, I'm sure he meant I would learn to fly metaphorically, I'm not actually expected to get off the ground."

"I still might ask you to wear a crash helmet though."

"Sure, Harry," she replied laughing. "Parachute too, I suppose!"

Hermione held the small blue bottle up and pulled out the small cork. She sniffed and pulling a face, whispered, "Urgh. He wasn't kidding about this being worse than that indigestion potion."

Harry looked over to see Crookshanks eyeing the bottle warily.

"Come on Crookshanks," Hermione said brightly, "I've got some lovely drink for you, just as a special treat. Honestly, it'll help you sleep as well."

Crookshanks wasn't fooled for a moment. In three quick bounds he was at the kitchen door and away.

Hermione tore after him with Harry in quick pursuit.

*

After an exhausting half-hour chase through the grounds, Harry and Hermione found themselves both pinned under a nonchalant looking Crookshanks. The blue potion bottle was now tantalisingly close but still just out of reach.

Hedwig, who had amused herself watching the two of them making spectacles of themselves, flew off into the night sky.

"What are you doing, Harry?"

"Trying to get comfortable. We're not going anywhere, are we?"

Neither Harry nor Hermione had any intention of using magic to get themselves out of their little predicament. Crookshanks had caught them by guile, not strength; although his great weight was certainly an advantage.

"You'd have thought that Ginny would have let Neville help us, wouldn't you? At least there shouldn't be any more revellers to come by and make fun of us."

"You spoke too soon, Hermione. I think I can hear someone behind us."

"Hurry up, then. Try and reach for the bottle again."

"No. Every time I try Crookshanks just licks my legs. He's got a tongue like sandpaper."

"At least we're warm."

"Shh," Harry whispered. "It's Malfoy."

"What?" Hermione whispered in alarm. "Oh, no."

Crookshanks rose up slightly and looked around behind him. It was enough. Harry scrambled forward and grabbed the bottle. He then grabbed hold of Crookshanks around his neck and tried hopelessly to wrestle him to the ground.

"Where's Malfoy?" asked Hermione, looking around.

"Catch," shouted Harry as he threw the bottle to her. Harry now had the upper hand. He'd managed to grab both of Crookshanks front legs. Of course, he had the advantage in that no matter what, Crookshanks wouldn't hurt them. His claws had been firmly retracted the whole time.

Hermione at last caught on and quickly poured the foul liquid into Crookshanks' the back of his open mouth.

Crookshanks clearly wasn't happy, but he'd had his fun.

Almost immediately, Crookshanks showed signs of becoming drowsy.

He finally fell into a deep sleep listening to Hermione's soothing words as she sat with him holding his great head on her lap and constantly stroking his long ginger fur.

As he watched them, Dumbledore's words, "these Truths tend to be universal," went through his mind. Could it really be that simple, he wondered? He was about to say something, when the words caught in his throat. Dumbledore had wanted Hermione to discover her Truth when she was ready.

In the same way, Dumbledore had allowed him time to accept the Apprentice Piece for what it really was. Had he known before he was really ready, would he have acted the same way? He wasn't entirely sure about that. He suspected that given the choice, he might have chosen to fight Voldemort with dark magic.

That's when the penny finally dropped.

Dumbledore had said it. It was the other way around.

He had thought that the times that he'd been able to help or protect Hermione by using the Apprentice Piece had just been a happy coincidence.

He now realised everything had happened because he needed to help Hermione. After all, she had been the subject of Voldemort's attacks, not him.

Harry could have sworn he heard Kales' deep chuckling in the back of his mind.

Harry looked on. He had the strangest feeling. This was vaguely familiar, and yet he had no recollection of it. Perhaps he too had fallen asleep on his mother's lap listening to her soothing words.

Was this it? Was he actually seeing Hermione's Truth? Was the secret a simple expression of love?

As soon as he thought it, he realised it wasn't an expression of love. Voldemort wouldn't have made such an effort if it was just that. No, it must be something deeper. Maybe a feeling of genuine love.

Hermione looked up and smiled warmly at him, still stroking Crookshanks gently.

Harry smiled back at once, allowing himself to feel the full force of shear empowerment that Hermione's love gave him.

He had no idea how to describe the feelings he had. He was sure of one thing, however. The Heliopaths were right; she was mesmerising.

Harry decided not to say anything and instead knelt beside her and placed a supportive arm around her, stroking Crookshanks sleeping form with his other hand.

*

Harry and Hermione lay together on the couch in front of the glowing fire embers in the Gryffindor common room. Laid out in front of them was Crookshanks, still sleeping peacefully but now with a large pillow and a couple of warm blankets.

They had decided that they both wanted to stay with him until he finally transformed back into his normal self. They had no idea how long the process would take, but neither was in a hurry to be parted.

"You know what? I just realised something."

"What, Harry?" asked Hermione sleepily, not moving.

"People really do take after their pets."

Hermione laughed quietly and said, "Ah, you mean my superb cat like reflexes and quick intellect, of course."

"No," he replied, grinning. "It was more the sandpaper tongue and drooling actually."

"Okay, bird-brain, now you're asking for it," she said laughing and pushing herself up.

"Promises, promises," he replied grinning.

Harry allowed himself to be wrestled gently down onto the floor next to Crookshanks.

"Watch it or I'll lick you with my sandpaper tongue."

"Fine, but I should warn you that if you want to avoid bits pre-licked by Crookshanks, the choice is pretty limited this evening."

"Oh, I can work with limited," she breathed before leaning in to kiss.

END

That's it! No more!

Thank you to everyone for reading and reviewing.

The next longish story is actually a reworking a plot thread that had to be removed from this series on grounds of "confusion."

It will be called, "The Last Kefsen," and will start from the summer again.

Anyway, that's why this story had to make do with just the one Hermione.